Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kas plans dog slaughter  (Read 20034 times)

Offline Linda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Kas plans dog slaughter
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »
Hi all,
not often I post but picked up this from a neighbour of our in Kalkan (Turkish), his dog was almost a victim,   

Love them or hate them, this is not right and I wondered if KAPSA had any plans to join the protest at the cull of all the animals by the mayor of Kas.

Don't know how to paste links so hope this works, 

http://kaskillers.wordpress.com/

Regards

Linda   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4396.0

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Kas plans dog slaughter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
Thanks for posting that Linda... we are looking into it and see what can be done.. Saskia has posted lots of information as to the law in Turkey, so nothing untoward should happen... let us know if you hear anything else...

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
I am utterly appalled at this and sincerely hope that something can be done before it's too late. Absolutely horrifying :(

Offline Linda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:49:14 PM »
Hi
In respect of my neighbour's privacy I can't comment too much, but from what I have established it seems that this action has been planned for a while,
It appears that all dogs, even those belonging to responsible owners, are considered fair game

I hope this will raise awareness, and provoke some reflection from the Kas Mayor,       

I'm in the UK now but would be in Kas today (and tomorrow) for sure if I was in Turkey !

Regards

Linda 

Offline tog miester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
Whatever our feelings towards this situation, whether we support it or not, a democratically elected representative/party have decided to take a course of action. Whats the problem? They must have had a mandate to do this, if they did not and if people (Turkish) don't like it, they will get voted out.
Banned!! Delete my account please.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »
As Linda says, the purpose is to raise awareness amongst residents of KaÅŸ, whatever their nationality and voting rights, so that they might raise the matter with their elected representatives.  The next local elections are probably almost 4 years away.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »
I have to agree with old Tog this has been decided by Turkish people in their own country. Based on this and as unpleasant as it is what right do visitors and ex-pats have to meddle.

Offline Random

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
Tog meister, I can't help feeling that that is a rather naive view. Do you really think that every 'democratically ' elected leader here waits to get permission to do what he/she wants to do? One thing is for sure if such a slaughter were to take place it would be totally illegal and none of the powers that be would admit to having a hand in it. But it would be very bad news for tourism in KaÅŸ, Antalya belediye is still picking up the pieces after being branded as blood thirsty murderers across the net after the discovery of mass dog graves there last year.
I think the idea here is to make the Mayor aware of the consequences of such actions. If we all email him from whereevr we are maybe, just maybe he might see the light. On the other hand he may change his email address!

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Hi kalkankediler,
 Where has saskia posted this information about the law in Turkey?
 and will kapsa be organising something for those who want to do something about this?
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »
I am back home in England at the moment, but is there anything I can do to help or protest against an inhumane cull, which it will be (clubbing seal pups to death springs to mind - and Canada is supposed to be civilised!   Many of these so called culls end with half alive dogs with awful injuries, being thrown into pits, etc and then being burnt whilst they are still alive.  Irrespective of ones views, where is the humanity/compassion in that?   There are other ways, I would like to think,  to start to try to solve the problem, commencing with trying to educate people in the local populace and taking it from there.

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
I for one hold out no short term hope for a solution to this sort of practice. It will take years to re-educate people about animal welfare.
Having spent 2 years on trying to find a solution to the 23 horse deaths, and subsequent dumping of their bodies, that have taken place in Patara with the old turkish run riding company..contacting all turkish and world animal organisations with no reaction/action from them...how can there be a solution for the dogs and cats? It makes me weep to think of any animal suffering.

Offline tog miester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
Sorry for being naive, its a habit of mine. So let me get this straight Random, your saying that the mayor of Kas is, or about to do, something illegal. That he and his colleagues will then compound the whole thing by lying. Is this what your saying. Amazing.
Another forum member was torn to shreds for questioning the honesty/integrity of Kalkans Mayor. (but then he was not talking about dogs!)
And as for Kas struggling to get over a past disaster, it looked perfectly OK when I visited yesterday.

Offline Random

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »
a democratically elected representative/party have decided to take a course of action. Whats the problem? They must have had a mandate to do this,
Now you are putting words in my mouth, I just said you were naive if you believed the sentence above. If you have time you really should have a read of the animal rights law that Kalkankedi has put a link to, then you would see that no belediye can legally slaughter their street animals.
ARTICLE 4  a) All animals are born equal and have a right to life within the framework of the provisions of this Law.   
ARTICLE 4 c) The lives of ownerless animals should be supported in the same way as those of animals with owners.    
ARTICLE 6 It is forbidden to kill ownerless or incapacitated animals, apart from the situations set forth in the Animal Health Police Law no. 3285
ARTICLE 14    f) To slaughter or kill animals other than slaughter animals, hunting animals which are permitted to be hunted or to be produced as slaughter animals in special production farms within the framework of Law no. 4915

And as for Antalya, I know for a fact that the Belediye there have been doing their best to clean up their image regarding the strays since the massacres of thousands of animals recently.

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »
But the problem is legal or not it happens all the time..

Offline tog miester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »
Obviously people are going to have a difference of opinion on this whole subject, but that's all it is, a difference of opinion.
I will not be changing mine and neither will anyone else, this will continue to happen all over Turkey(and other parts of the world), no matter what foreign ex pats feel, no matter what laws are broken and regardless of the rights of animals. Its just an unfortunate fact.

Offline Hannah Smith

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
Just looked at the link kaskillers and feel sick that this killing of street animals goes on today. The culling obviously doesn't work. Where is the humanity in this?? Surely the best way forward is to neuter all the dogs and cats. eventually the problem will be resolved. But if animals are still dumped in Kas and Kalkan from the surrounding villages, there will always be street animals. KAPSA in Kalkan are hoping to visit surrounding villages this winter with their neutering programme...I think.
I do hope this cull will never occur or has never occurred in Kalkan.

Hi all,
not often I post but picked up this from a neighbour of our in Kalkan (Turkish), his dog was almost a victim,   

Love them or hate them, this is not right and I wondered if KAPSA had any plans to join the protest at the cull of all the animals by the mayor of Kas.

Don't know how to paste links so hope this works, 

http://kaskillers.wordpress.com/

Regards

Linda   

Offline Linda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »
Hello to those concerned

it seems that the planned slaughter has provoked sufficient response from those concerned enough to make a difference,
The majority of the tide of protest appears to have been from Turkish people, which heartens me.

Regards

Linda 

Offline Linda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline Alfie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
Don't see the problem really if the dogs in question are a risk/ nuisance. Could do with a clean-up in Kalkan, one of the strays nipped me in August.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Plans for the Harbour

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:59:43 AM
by kags
xx
Harbour plans

Started by Babs on General Discussion

126 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 05:39:00 AM
by kevtamuk
xx
A Week in October - the plans

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

31 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 11:55:18 AM
by fitwenchdidyell

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal