Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mosquitos and other biting nasties in June  (Read 15145 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Mosquitos and other biting nasties in June
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
It's the original dry skin oil in the blue bottle. Magic stuff.  :)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
If you do get bitten just pop in to see the friendly pharmacist just at the start of the Kalamar road. He'll sell you a little tube of his magic cream . I got bitten on my eyelid of all places, woke in the morning, my eye was swollen shut, looked like Tyson after an unlucky fight. Applied the magic cream and it took the swelling down within a few hours, applied it another twice and all better, no need for the Jackie O glasses in the evening. Also good for all bites takes the blister down and helps the itch. We're out next month so I expect the little blighters will be dieting beforehand so they'll we ready to have a good dinner off me. Must be the tasty Welsh blood.  :P

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Mosquitos and other biting nasties in July/Aug
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Any updates on the Mosquito situation for us July/August visitors?
I've heard that Tea Tree Oil and even Olbas Oil is a really good repellent, can anyone back this up?
B

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
Just putting my nurses cap on for this one and going all serious for a minute, but only for a minute!! I attend travel health updates every year and we are told that the only scientifically proved by research is DEET unfortunately. The theory behind the oils is that the mossies and midges get stuck in the slippery oil and cannot fly, breathe or bite. That goes for the Avon SSsoft  as well.
As there is no risk of developing malaria in Kalkan, I say try anything, who knows?? I kept my blood circulating with G&T last year and the only time I got bitten was at kekova, and not by just the mossies, that bloody boat captain trailed me like inspector gadget!! I couldn't believe it when his dad was standing guard outside the loo waiting to continue the sales pitch!! But I digress, I'd say stick with the DEET and you can't go far wrong.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
I've tried everything...and I mean everything >:(
This year I had SSS, citronella oil in my aftersun, took vitamin B1 and sprayed 50% Deet - despite being a veritable oil slick and deeted to within an inch of my life I was bitten...lots.
Next year my strategy will be no prevention, just bite management :o So I'll continue with daily antihistamanes and mild cortisone cream and see how that goes...
I do think the sprayers were not as widespread and active in June as they should have been - hope that changes for all you guys due out there soon.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
Thank you nurse!  :o
We've already taken BL's advice and stocked up on the Xpel mosquito wipes from Poundland!  8)

Make sure you get the 'Adult' ones though!  ::)
(The childrens ones don't contain DEET).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:24:34 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
We saw the sprayer twice in June - once whilst eating at Cafe Vita (which wasn't the best of timing)! - and once in Kisiltas, it sounds like a jumbo jet approaching you won't miss it .
We had very little bites between a family of six, and we forgot the Deet - sorry I have no explanation other than we all decided not to wear perfume or after-shave as apparently that attracts mossies?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Yes, I saw your photo, looks like you've got enough for the forum!!!  ;D Only joking Bob, it's good to be prepared and wipes are much easier than sprays aren't they.
Poor you K4E, sounds like they need to get the sprayers out a bit more often. The little blighters are out in force in sunny lancs too. I had to douse myself in insect repellant last night while having a chilled glass of wine on the patio.  :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Hope the sprayer stayed well away from your food Irene but good to know that they are out there.  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
I suppose the wet wipes may have a dual use too. Apparently they sooth the stinging after a good curry!  ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Well, We've found the B1 approach works for us, but I suppose there's always going to be someone who it doesn't work for.

In the event of being bitten, which hasn't happened for a while, we use a Zapper.

This isn't the electric fly swat, but a device you can get in Boots, (and probably elsewhere) which you use after being bitten.

It's a small piezo-electric device that you place over the bite, and click a few times (it says two or three, but you tend to get carried away!).  Medically, the 15,000 volts (it's not going to kill you  - just tickles!) across the bite suppresses the production of histamines that the body produces to combat the bite.  In other words, it does what anti-histamine cream does without the cream.  Since it's the histamines that cause the irritation, not the bite and anti-coagulant, the itching is then suppressed and becomes more comfortable.  Occasionally, you may need to do it again later, or even the next evening, (why do they always itch at night?) but it does work!  Of course, putting something soothing on as well, just improves the comfort level.

Don't know the current price of a Zapper (they last for 10,000 clicks), but it's around a fiver.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
Lizilu. - it was a close thing!  We had to cover our plates and hold our breath - not the best of timings! :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
Zapper (they last for 10,000 clicks),

Oh no they don't Chris_S. At least, mine didn't seem to remain as effective after about 500 clicks or, maybe the body starts to become immune to it's effect. I still use it sometimes if I get bitten but, usually in combination with Witch Doctor Gel which really seems to reduce the itch.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
We got very few bites this year compared to last,  I got with 3 mrs Lweighed in with 2..we found that by blasting the rooms with raid before we went out anything that lurked inside from daytime soon shot off the mortal coil(died) we used the wipes with mozzie stuff on from poundland to wipe over our heads and then sprayed the kov type stuff onto the wipes to cover armies and leggies thus keeping pretty oil free...tip...put your contact lenses in before playing with this stuff as you will look like you have peeled a sack of onions if you touch your eyes  :-\ 
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline mosthappyinthesun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • Totally addicted to Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
Does anyone know where in Kalkan I can buy any type of afterbite stuff.....I have tried everywhere!!! Stupidly didn't bring any, as all other years, haven't been bitten, but covered this year!  :-[
I've tried the pharmacy just past the roundabout at start of Kalamar road, and was told 'No, nothing'....'are you sure??' I asked, and was told again No, sorry nothing,  :'(
Have tried all the supermarkets and can't find anything.
I ideally wanted one of those 'clicker' pens, which a friend swears by, but anything at all would be good....any suggestions anyone..??
....Think I've found my 'little piece of heaven' - totally addicted to Kalkan :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
Zapper (they last for 10,000 clicks),

Oh no they don't Chris_S. At least, mine didn't seem to remain as effective after about 500 clicks or, maybe the body starts to become immune to it's effect. I still use it sometimes if I get bitten but, usually in combination with Witch Doctor Gel which really seems to reduce the itch.

Sorry to hear that - maybe we've been lucky!  It's about 5 years old and still going strong.  And it still works for us.

Horses for courses, maybe - it seems that there is no one thing that will universally protect yourself except a wet suit covered in DEET (inside and out), a face mask, similar doused, a diet of B1 and a flame thrower... ;D

Of course you could stay close to some unfortunate who is a mossie magnet, and use them as a sacrificial distraction!

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »
Yali supermarket has a spray called appropriately OFF we spray on as dusk falls especially around our legs and ankles etc.

A tablet put into one of the plug in units you can buy in all of the supermarkets will also keep the bedroom free.

And only book accommodation which has mossie nets on all doors and windows, it's no good sleeping in a fab villa were mossies have free passage and your body ends up looking like a pincushion.

Hope that helps:  Buster

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:42:05 PM by Buster »
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline mosthappyinthesun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • Totally addicted to Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2013, 06:06:17 PM »
Thanks guys, does anyone know anywhere in Kalkan that sells the 'clicker'...??

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
I doubt if you will find a clicker..but you should find after bite cream?..try the chemist further along Kalamar road..about 5 mins further walk up from chemist you tried on RH side going towards Kalamar they are very helpful .....Stilex always seems a popular after bite gel which we have bought ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Have I got this right??? Be nice to the nasties?

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 09:59:45 PM
by Wendy
xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE
xx
mosquitos

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

30 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM
by LancashireLass
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal