Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mosquitos  (Read 12330 times)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
mosquitos
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
Hi do you get many mosquitos in kalkan and if so what do you recommend that stops you getting bitten. Thanks  ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10884.0
Michelle x

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
Re: mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Hi Michelle,

Of all the times I have been I have never been bitten but everyone is different, maybe the fumes from my one too many gins keep them away  ;)

However when we went to Egypt I was eaten alive, however, the best repellant I've come across is actually from Home Bargains can you believe! They are insect repellent wipes and are 99p per pack, I think because they are so cheap they are quite potent. Better than the expensive Jungle Spray, I find this attracts them (to me). If you are staying in a villa/apartment maybe pack some citronella tealights if you're worried too?  ;D

x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
hi Michelle
I am one of those people who, if there are Mosquitos around will get bitten. I have found that the best thing to use is local spray which you can buy very cheaply in supermarkets.....I think one brand is zoff......but I may be wrong with the name?
Also if your flight is arriving in the evening, as ours normally do, it's a good idea to tuck a couple of insect repellent wipes in your hand luggage to wipe any exposed skin before you get off the plane as the taxi/transfer place is outside of the airport building and its easy to get bitten before your holiday even begins!
Not that I'm paranoid or anything!!  :laugh:

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm telling you Babs, sweating G&T's helps too  ;)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Hi Michelle
If you use the Search Facility at the top of the page and put in "Mosquitoes" you will be amazed by how many answers to your question appears.
In recent years the Town Hall have been spraying regularly and so the problem is not a major one, unless of course you have a bad reaction to the bites.
Joan

Offline jfm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
long time no see joan

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
As per my earlier posts - Brewers Yeast tablets or Vitamin B1 tablets from Health Food Shops (like Holland & Barrett) work well for us.  Taking them for a few days before you fly, and you don't need to carry the wipes for when you land.

Other people we've recommended this to have found they work too, in places with far higher mossie populations.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
Unfortunately DEET (found in certain types of insect repellant) is the only scientifically proved insect repellant for Mosquitos, however, we had a couple of G&T's every night before we went out and the mozzies stayed well away!! Apart from when we went to kekova for the day and got eaten alive!!! I think the spraying programme really helps.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »
Unfortunately G+T is not my tipple of choice.....and I don't think lal has the same properties! Has definitely got better in the last few years with the spraying but I don't like to take any chances with the little blighters!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
michelle, both the local formulas are good...we prefer Off!! but Off Max as opposed to Off ordinary - its in an orange can.
As Joan mentions, the search facility will being up every solution known to man :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
I agree Babs! In Egypt I was eaten alive and it was bloody awful! Drove me insane. Might get some zoff just incase. X

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
Be careful when you use Kov,Jungle Formula ,Zoff ,Boots repel,or whatever other liquids you use..it will take dye out of your footwear...and your watch strap etc....best put it on and let it dry a bit first......poundland sell a packet of wipes for Ā£1 which are handy for wiping over your exremities or your head if you are a slap head like me.....Also try a tin of Raid (all supermarkets sell it or equivalent)...fumigate your rooms before you go out(don't leave any windows open) and any that have come in will die !! the remainder that get through your defensive barrier can be picked off by being wazzled with your Flippen Floppen ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
well soe interesting answers there !!  ;D.  iv been wondering how to find posts on things so thanks for telling me on the search facility i hadnt npticed it. (i blame being blonde!!) im def not a slap head he he so wipes on the head not a good idea. i fancy trying tablets so b1 or brewers yeast is one better than the other?
i love g&t & is my tipple (well one of them) bloody mary's , efes & a few cocktails also go down well, oh & noce glass of white wine !!!
im not that keen on wipes, spray smells but have had some bnasty bites (so has hubby) , oh i sometime in the past have used the avon oil stuff (forgot the name)& sometimes that has worked.

thanks everyone & soory to be a pain. i will try the search facily & be a better Kalkan user next time (well...... i might be a rebel if i fancy a chat !!)   >:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
You don't have to be a slap head to use the wipes..they fit in your bag(or your mrs bag! ;D ) and can be used when you go somewhere and it needs topping up.... we always wipe one over at Dalaman coming and going especially if landing at night...i got bit on my hooter one year and it was illuminous in the dark!!my head looked like a miners hat ;D ;D ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
Hi Michelle
Stop worrying and just get on with looking forward to your holiday......
The chances are that the only thing you will be bitten by is the "Kalkan bu"....... for that, there is no deterrent or cure!  :laugh:

And yes, the search facility is very useful but no one on here minds a chat......after all it is a forum for Kalkan lovers....and we do like to chat about the place!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
The difference between Brewers Yeast and B1 is the Yeast!

Brewers Yeast is high in B1 hence it's effectiveness.  Unfortunately, some people have a poor tolerance of Yeast, especially in higher levels, so straight B1 is the alternative.

We use the B1 from H&B (especially when they have their offers on!!).  Just take one a day - job done.  Any left over from one year you can use the next - up to the best before limit, of course.

And it doesn't stain, remove colour, dry up on the wipes, turn out to be an empty bottle, or smell odd.  And it probably works out cheaper too.  Win, Win for us.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
Marmite seems to work for me. A 2mm layer smeared all over (toast, not me.................although here's a thought: smear a thick enough layer of marmite over your bod and the mozzies wont be age to penetrate it........) for breakfast. Delicious and effective.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Forgot to mention Marmite - not surprising as we think it's disgusting (form two sides: Love it or Hate it ...).

As it's derived from Brewer's Yeast, I'm not surprised it will work. We'll stick to the tablets, though!

Offline Chipmunk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
Marmite works very well for me but it does make rather a mess of the sheets.

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
Thanks babs I am loving a chat on here too. Thank all for the b1 advice think I will get some of that. I've never tried marmite b4 so not sure if I like it or not. Def still think I will try the g and t too!  ;D x

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1
xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE
xx
Re: Spraying -mosquitos

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 07:26:47 PM
by amber
xx
mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

34 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 12:46:27 PM
by Skiddy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal