Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mosquitos and other biting nasties in June  (Read 15143 times)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Mosquitos and other biting nasties in June
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
Hi Mags, we are in the Old Town too (Dere part) but haven't got any vines so hopefully that has helped. We go on Saturday so I will report if anything is worse this year than last. The bites sound like they could be nasty as I am one of those who reacts badly even to mossies.
Thanks

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:22:17 AM »
Hi Mags,  if you hear a random squawk in the Old Town from the 8th of June then it's only me running away from the jumping spiders.  Seriously if they are only small I'm not too bad, it's the big ones that move fast that bother me.

Lancashire Lass
Janie Q

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
We have been twice, 2 weeks at a time over the past two years and never even seen a jumping spider. First year we had a couple of mozzie bites, second year I don't even think we saw a mozzie.

Sure it's not as bad as some people make out and wouldn't let it spoil the run up to your holiday :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:09:47 AM by tuppy »

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Well been here for 8 days now and seen no jumping spider's. Hubby but by a few mossies and I have git my 1st two come up today. I was using Avon skin soft so think it must of helped as hubby didn't. Gutted about the bites today though.  X
Michelle x

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »
Where we are (Ortaalan) the mozzies don't seem too bad this year, but every so often I seem to get attacked by a particularly hungry specimen of some sort  while out and about, especially down in the old town - not sure what insect it is, but the bites always swell up badly. They always seem to get me on the back of the knee for some reason!

Offline EK Moderator

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
Woke at 7am this morning by the mossie spray wagon doing the rounds, hopefully this will help keep the slightest down.
BTW How do you milk mosquitos?

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
For some reason I was bitten really badly this time round. Had 9 bites on my left foot alone!! Things eventually subsided when we bought a Raid Plug from the supermarket. Pricey but seemed to keep the blighters out the bedroom! Also I found that the lemon spray you can buy at the market to be the best repellent. I was using OFF but still being bitten. When I discovered the lemon spray was in fact insect repellent (and not salad dressing...it was in the fridge when we got to the apartment  :-X) the biting seemed to stop. So maybe invest in a Raid Plug and some of the lemon spray. Worked for me.  ;D

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
We have just returned from 9 days in Kalkan, the mozzies were no problem, olive flies were a bit tiresome.....they seem to enjoy my husbands head! Didn't come near me, we were at Patara Prince and the sea ledges were the best place to be. There were none there, they seem to like any sort of vegetation. They are always worse May/June time .

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Ahh that would explain why I was always bitten then as our apartment was abundant with bougainvillea etc! I've never been bitten previous visits, however usually go August time. What's the difference between an olive fly and mosquito bite too?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Buy a tin of raid and spray the rooms before you go out.... that will get em! despite how much stuff I put on (I smell like a garage forecourt) ..something always gets me when i'm "out"...don't forget there is always the whirling dervish with the Flippen Floppen! if it's ugly and makes a noise Whazzle it..(I only suggest this for the insect species and not humans! :P ).
What do you call a French man in sandals?.........................................................Fellipe Fulop :D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
We got back from Kalkan last week and we all had mosquito bites. I've never had even one in 6 years of visiting Kalkan in Sept but had a couple from going this early in the year. I only had a couple but my poor boyfriend was covered in them. We also all had nasty little tiny red bites which I'm guessing must be from the olive flies? Are they the horrible little tiny black flies who won't leave you alone? We also saw several jumping spiders, something we've never seen before. One bright red one landed on my leg and I thought it was just a ladybird so wasn't bothered. Leapt off my lounger when I realised it was a jumping spider - normal spiders don't bother me but these are horrible! We're looking forward to returning in our usual September (13 weeks to go, yay!) when hopefully Kalkan is free from mozzies and jumping spiders :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
My wife reacts dreadfully from most sorts of bites. When we were in America a couple of years ago we were talking to this chap in a bar ( no change there then ! ) about mossie bites and showed him a bite on oh's leg, he insisted I took her to hospital, it was a really bad reaction, the size of a dinner plate, raised approx 3mm, bright red, hard and very hot, when I explained to him that while it was a bad one it was nothing to get worried about, he was having none of it and we sort of fell out when I refused to take her to hospital, hey ho, she is still with us  ;)

We have been here on and off, mostly on, since early Feb and fingers crossed she has been ok, yes been bitten but not that much and know really bad reactions. The mossie spray truck has been past our place in Kalamar Bay 3 times in the last week, so maybe that is helping.

We now leave a can of mossie spray in all the bedrooms for guests and advise them to give the bedroom a good spraying before they go out, it seems to be working from the feed back we have had  :-*
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
The olive flies leave a red mark that sometimes become blistered. They itch like mad for days. They are the tiny little flies that buzz around all the time. Never around after June. Should think they are full up after eating my husbands head and arms!!

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
Omg how big are these jumping spiders, I really don't like spiders and if one of the little blighter happen to jump on me I'm seriously gonna freak.

:o

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 06:44:41 AM »
They are only small / tiny, size of the afro man above  8) ;) 8)

We have seen loads just lately, but never been bitten by one in the 6 years we have been coming to Kalkan so you should not let it worry you too much.

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »
Thank you one love I can handle the smaller spiders its the really big big ones like the large house spiders that freak me, I think it's the way they move that scares me.

O0

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
Iv still not seen a jumping spider phew. Think my bites must be the olive ones as are red and blistery and sooooooooo itchy. Last day today though boo hoo x

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
Lancashire Lass - although I am paranoid about spiders, the bigger the better, at least you can see where they are going to/coming from :o :o :o :o :o  Those pesky jumping ones are sooooooooooooo bold, they will actually defy you, sounds daft when they are so tiny, but their language is very rude >:D >:D >:D >:D  Talk about the Evil eye :o :o :o  One b.....d even made it back to the UK with me, was not an illegal immigrant for long >:D >:D >:D

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
I'm putting on my brave face  :o :o :o and if any of them pesky little spiders dare invade my personnel space it's war  >:D

We arrived last night and looking at the view from my balcony spiders are not even a blip on the horizon  :D

Offline Southend

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Have I got this right??? Be nice to the nasties?

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 09:59:45 PM
by Wendy
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1
xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE
xx
mosquitos

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

30 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM
by LancashireLass

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Dusk

Views: 4192
By: kalkan4eva
Kalkan