Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Indian restaurant in Kalkan  (Read 40225 times)

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Indian restaurant in Kalkan
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
You're completely missing the point here. We are not talking about food available to residents. In the UK, we have a wonderful diversity of world food of which I eat and enjoy regularly. I am talking in the context of tourism and the visiting tourist. When tourists visit London, they make for the pie & mash shops, eat bangers and mash, beans on toast, pasties, have a full English fry up and use the cafes and English restaurants in the main to enjoy English (or traditional British fayre). I am talking about the tourist visitor to Kalkan, not the clique of English ex-pats who either live or have property there and visit numerous times a year (by the way Kalkan Regular, I have been more than the 6 times you state in your post, more like 11). I also own three rental properties and have a share in one retail business, so I have more than a passing interest in the development and changes of Kalkan for both visitors and residents alike.

What I am against is the emergence of an English-style high street full of similar dining choices for tourists who come away from England to avoid that which they regularly see every day in their own country. It is not stereotypical to want to eat indigenous food in the country one holidays in, it is quite normal. Only 30 short years ago, if one went to Spain, all you could find is Paella, roast suckling pig, tapas and patatas bravas. Now, one is surrounded by Pete's Plaice fish and chip shops, Taj Mahal curry houses and Chinese takeaways. If the restaurant isn't run by English, you'll often find the locals running them have developed English accents! That may be welcome change for some but it sure ain't progress in my book and it is quite wrong. The visitor's phrase book is all but dead today as everyone speaks English now and the heart and soul of most tourist destinations has transmogrified into one, solid British mass! There is no magic in discovering a new culture any more. That, for me, is half the fun of travelling to another country. To experience its culture and not seeing much of my own.

So what I am trying to convey in these posts is not a dig at those who live or stay in Kalkan longer than the average tourist but how I would like to see Turkey stay Turkish in the main for the numerous majority visitors who come and fall in love with it.

The last thing I want to see is Kalkan turning into another Benidorm, Malia, Marmaris or Kavos. The chav element of our society is a destructive force that, if they are allowed and encouraged to spread their change across all Mediterranean resorts, will alter life irrevocably for Kalkan residents, both Turkish and British - and I do not want to see this commerciality ruin the beauty and peaceful Turkish charm of Kalkan. And it all starts with the Anglicising of the resort itself. Like attracts like.

My message to those who would see it change just in the name of satisfying their English dining habits is, sell up, stay away and do not pass Go. This town needs its Turkish culture to stay Turkish. It is what attracted us all to Kalkan in the first place, isn't it?

On walking down to the harbour on a balmy summer's evening, would you prefer thudding disco music, pulsating bars, neon lights, groups of violent drunken youth creating pools of vomit and lines of English style restaurants with locals outside saying: "Alright mate! Curry arf price tonite!" or would you prefer the gentle lap of the tide against the harbour wall, the evocative notes of an Anatolian ballad crackling from speakers and decent, mature people peacefully enjoying their shopping, dining and chatting to locals who truly love the English and who welcome them nightly with a friendly and genuine, "Merhaba?"

I know what I would prefer.

Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
Thank you for your comprehensive response. I took the 6 visits from your own first posting, which I realise now was in 2010.

I too do not want Kalkan to become another Marmaris but I think we differ in what would make it that way. I also would not wish to diminish the role that residents, long stay guests and property owners play in the life of Kalkan.
Local Turkish friends tell me they would also enjoy an Indian meal sometimes.

I don't think one Indian restaurant will turn it into a 'chav' resort, after all it has had a Chinese restaurant and takeaway for years. Guests who want to only eat Turkish have a massive selection of restaurants to choose from in Kalkan.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Very eloquently put Bazza and I think many of us echo your sentiments and have been drawn to Kalkan for the same reasons you have expressed.  I don't think any of us would like to see it turned into another chav infested resort and the previous discussions about the arrival of Pasaport Pizza, supermarket chains and the threat of a Burger King, McDonalds etc has caused a bit of uproar.  I too hope and pray that Kalkan stays true to its culture and charm and that the wonderful Turkish cuisine does not gradually disappear and we see more and more restaurants serving British food that we can have every day at home.  One of the reasons I love Kalkan so much is for the unique dining experience as the Turkish dishes are nothing like anything we have at home (and I am not talking about kebabs!).  There are enough places in Europe to visit if you want fish and chips, burgers and Sky sports but I would personally hate to see Kalkan turn into one. 
On the subject of having an Indian restaurant if it was authentic and served beautiful Indian food and didn't go down the curry and chips route I think it would be a nice addition to the wonderful eating experience Kalkan has to offer.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
bazza as i have already said in a previous post I agree with a lot of what you say, but not all which is totally normal, how boring would life be if we all agreed with each other all the time  ???

Kalkanbelle & Kalkan regular I agree with everything you say.

I'm on my sunbed writing this as its a lovely day here in Kalkan, a tad windy, but hey ho can't complain  8) ;) 8).........unlike some  >:D >:D >:D
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »
Oh I'm not complaining lol, it's a lovely part sunny day around 21C in Nicosia!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
Sounds lovely bazza.  Good to see we can both laugh  ;D ;) ;D

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Very well said, Bazza (and Kalkan Belle). Thanks for taking the time to post such a reasoned and eloquent argument against creeping chav-ness in Kalkan!

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
I always try to laugh One Love but I take my food seriously..........and hold the things that this short life make pleasureable such as getting away from the cold island of St George dear. Have a nice day now  :)

Offline heyho

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
To answer Joycie, yes there was an Indian restaurant down on the harbour a few years ago, run by an Indian family.  And very nice it was too.  Unfortunately they were 'driven' out.  Lots of calls made to the jandarma over nothing, lots of unpleasantness, and the family finally upped and left.  If the new Indian restaurant is to be run by a Turkish person(s) then it stands a chance, but if not, I would imagine the same thing will happen. 

Shame really, because a little bit of diversity never did anyone any harm, and it is certainly not up to us Brits, ex-pats or holidaymakers, to keep Kalkan 'in the dark' just because we like it how we like it.  If you see what I mean.

If the locals are prepared to live and let live, then that would be the changing face of modern Turkey, surely?  And if you don't like it.....

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
I remember having a lovely meal there and thinking that it was a lovely addition to Kalkan and in no way did it take away Kalkans lovely ambiance. In factat that time it made us visit some of the restaurants around it including Jimmys etc.

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »
To Heyho

You make a valid point. However, you also say that the Turks are prepared to live and let live. I'm afraid they are not and you will find if you research the Indian restaurant that tried, and failed, that it was mostly the Turks who caused the problems to oust them out of town! The Kalkan business community is fiercely protective to ensure that Kalkan stays Turkish - and the the only English thing they really like are those who line their pockets buying their villas, eating from their restaurants and purchasing souvenirs from their shops. This is in stark contrast to the UK where we have systematically given up our identity in the name of diversity and where the majority of independent shops, restaurants etc are owned by foreigners and immigrants.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
Lordy what have you started, onelove? :)
Its a fact of life that things change, nothing stays the same....Kalkan is very different to what it was when people like BL started coming but it retains its charm. Passaport Pizza was meant to signal the end of life as we know it last year - yes its a bit gaudy looking and not really in keeping with the style of other restaurants, but it was full of locals whenever we passed...and the Lap Dancing bars and Kiss Me Quick hats didn't exactly follow!!!
I'm not sure that every tourist visitor to London heads to the Pie and Mash shops, just as every tourist visitor doesn't head to say Ayse's Kitchen in Kalkan :-\
We would be up in arms if only local British fayre could be served in the UK...crikey I live in Wales, it would be lamb and Barabrith on every menu :P. I think Kalkan has managed to embrace progress and expansion in terms of its bars and restaurants quite well....particularly in the heart of the village.
Just my opinion :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »
Most definitely a can of worms kalkan4eva!  ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
Lordy what have you started, onelove? :)
Its a fact of life that things change, nothing stays the same....Kalkan is very different to what it was when people like BL started coming but it retains its charm. Passaport Pizza was meant to signal the end of life as we know it last year - yes its a bit gaudy looking and not really in keeping with the style of other restaurants, but it was full of locals whenever we passed...and the Lap Dancing bars and Kiss Me Quick hats didn't exactly follow!!!
I'm not sure that every tourist visitor to London heads to the Pie and Mash shops, just as every tourist visitor doesn't head to say Ayse's Kitchen in Kalkan :-\
We would be up in arms if only local British fayre could be served in the UK...crikey I live in Wales, it would be lamb and Barabrith on every menu :P. I think Kalkan has managed to embrace progress and expansion in terms of its bars and restaurants quite well....particularly in the heart of the village.
Just my opinion :)

Sorry everyone, thought it was just a simple question  ::) 8) ::)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
Anyway....is there or isn't there going to be an Indian Restaurant in Kalamar Road, does anyone know any facts?

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
I can confirm if everything goes to plan......Yes.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »
I can confirm that 'Chapter One'' will be an Indian restaurant from the start of this season.

It is due to open end of March, early April.

It will offer a Full authentic Indian menu, including tandoori. + a wide range of Turkish and international cuisine.

A full delivery and take out service will be available.

It also plans to open all year round, if there is enough demand.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »
Thank you for the information. It's a really central location. They may be able to make it work if they are also offerering Turkish & international cuisine.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
I think they will smash it with just Indian food, but so im told lots more on offer as well  :o

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2013, 04:48:18 AM »
Will be amazed if they are open all year! The town has been dead for most of the winter months except christmas/new year.No tourists and not enough locals.Too much building work going on,street lighting terrible,horrible weather.The monthly curry nights have been a great success but I cant see enough business to keep a restaurant open all year, of that sort, in that location - could be proved wrong of course!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal