Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 05:45:00 PM

Title: Indian restaurant in Kalkan
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 05:45:00 PM
Heard on the grapevine that there maybe an authentic Indian restaurant opening somewhere along the Kalamar Rd in time for the coming season......oh, please please please ;D

In HMO Kalkan needs more variety restaurant wise. While they are generally of a Very very good standard, a lot of them do tend to be a bit 'samey' don't you think ????
Title: Re: Indian restaurant in Kalkan
Post by: hobbo on March 01, 2013, 06:47:02 PM
Most people don't have time to get board of the restaurants/menus in Kalkan stop rubbing the salt in .... are you on the countdown to your next holiday to London yet?? 

Not that I'm at all jealous..  8)
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 07:02:20 PM
Hahaha Hbbo.   Yes got to go ( on holiday ) to London on the 10th, but won't be there for very long thank god, hope to be back in Kalkan before the end of March, then here for 2/3/4 months, who knows 8) >:D 8)
Post by: pw on March 01, 2013, 07:27:07 PM
ban onelove!
Post by: Skunk on March 01, 2013, 09:04:22 PM
I haven't heard about the Indian in Kalamar Road but apparently Mousaka have been holding monthly curry evenings for the winter season, which are extremely good so I wonder if that could be continued over the summer?  The chef comes over from somewhere else I believe.
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
Would'nt be the first time......would it Jon ;-))
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 01, 2013, 09:08:37 PM
Isn't it far too hot hot hot to eat curries in Kalkan in the summer, personally we would much prefer to eat the traditional cuisine on offer! with a chilled glass of white wine, or maybe Lal for Antler!
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:11:50 PM
The chef for the Mussakka curry evenings comes from , i believe, an Indian restaurant in Calis. I've heard the chef for this new restaurant comes from Northern Cyprus where he has worked in an Indian restaurant for the last 20 years.
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
Indian is Not always hot  ???
Post by: joycie on March 01, 2013, 09:27:54 PM
I'm sure that there was an Indian restaurant a few years ago on the harbour across from Feners.  You couldnt buy alcohol there but it was fine to purchase it from the restaurant next door?
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:30:42 PM
Yeah so I have been told.  So thinks its a good idea ???
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:31:40 PM
...so who 'thinks' it a good idea ???
Post by: joycie on March 01, 2013, 09:36:20 PM
I do especially if you can take away as well!
Post by: onelove on March 01, 2013, 09:53:22 PM
Been told, def take away.  After all us Brits love a take away  ;D   A ruby by the pool.....yes please  8)
Post by: joycie on March 01, 2013, 10:01:03 PM
Can get two curries and two drinks from our local pub for £11. Any chance in Kalkan?
Post by: Skunk on March 01, 2013, 10:36:02 PM
I agree with Bob and Jayne. Lots of opps for good Indian over here, why eat it in the boiling hot in August in Kalkan? Much prefer some Turkish food beautifully cooked and a large glass of Cankaya.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 02, 2013, 01:02:48 AM
Rewind to 2011!
http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7620.0 (http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7620.0)
B
Post by: bazza1970 on March 02, 2013, 05:20:51 AM
Kalkan does not need other cultures' restaurants. If it is to stay unique and uniquely Turkish, it must retain its charm, not turn itself into just another Turkish mass tourism resort like Bodrum or Marmaris. Next, Kalkan will be having fish and chip shops, McDonalds and Pizza Hut. If holidaymakers want English junk food, stay at home and leave Kalkan to those that appreciate its indigenous beauty.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 02, 2013, 07:52:54 AM
We seem to have been here before? ??? people(British) telling others what they should eat....if i want English i will have English ..likewise anything else..if an owner offers to cook something i like i will have it...that is my business and no one elses..whether that be chinese.. indian etc..after what will be my 26th year visiting Kalkan eating what i like i don't feel i have ruined it and will continue to visit thank you very much .................................
Post by: pw on March 02, 2013, 08:38:18 AM
Isn't it far too hot hot hot to eat curries in Kalkan in the summer, personally we would much prefer to eat the traditional cuisine on offer! with a chilled glass of white wine, or maybe Lal for Antler!

It's a lot hotter in in India!
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 08:54:32 AM
My thoughts exactly BL  >:(

Thanks for your opinion bazza1970.

--------------------------------------------

Full English breakfast
Beans on toast
Chicken curry
Beans on toast
Ditto with cheese
Pizza ( 11 to choose from including Hawaiian, Mexican or create your own )
Hamburger
Cheese burger
Cheese bacon burger
Chicken burger
Fish fingers and chips
Home made chips
Bacon sandwich
Sausage sandwich
Sausage and chips
Egg and chips
Fried bread
Greek salad
Spaghetti bolognese
Spaghetti carbonara

All of the above food can all be found on menus in Kalkan. Actually they can all be found on one menu, that menu been the Very very popular Cafe Vita restaurant run by Mustafa, a lovely local business man giving his customers what they want, I don't believe he is trying to turn Kalkan into Bodrum or Marmaris. by doing this, do you ?

Also while on this subject I was at the Parc Kalkan quiz last Tuesday and some people were having meals ( food is Very good in Parc ).... Here is a selection of what some people were eating, fish & chips, the battered variety !, pizza and hamburger & chips not a chicken Shish in sight  ::) 8) ::)

I really don't get the connection between English Junk food and Indian cuisine  ???  :o ???

Thoughts please ?

Post by: bazza1970 on March 02, 2013, 09:11:34 AM
No-one is telling anyone here what to eat. It's just that the whole beauty of visiting a country is to experience its cuisine, not pseudo English high street tucker. If people want curry, go down to your local curry house or better still, visit India. I go to Turkey because I love Turkish people, Turkish culture and Turkish food and the very last thing I want to do, see, hear, smell or eat is the taste of anything that reminds me of why I went on holiday in the first place ie., to get away from this God-foresaken country and all the dross that inhabits it!
Post by: bazza1970 on March 02, 2013, 09:26:09 AM
I would also add that yes, it is possible to find isolated English dishes on many menus but in the main, they are mostly Turkish or Mediterranean. That is how it should stay. Tourist resorts get the tourists they deserve and over the past forty years, the British have single-handedly destroyed the charm and cultural individuality of these by stamping their will and their culture all over them. Spain is ruined, Greece and many parts of Italy too. In recent years, Cyprus has all but become a sunny version of Blackpool. Turkey, since its emergence as a major tourist destination has, resort by resort, succumbed to the will of this chip loving nation and now decent people who love to visit a country and adopt the "when in Rome" attitude either face living among well known British high street brands and a plethora of Sky TV bashing out sport to fat, beer bellied chavs - or find pastures new. It would be a terrible shame if Kalkan were to go down that road and it matters not how many times someone has been to a place (I have only been 11), it is always a great loss to the heart when the British impose their identity and culture over a once peaceful and indigenous resort. Long may Kalkan stay innocent and free from the curse of the burger brigade!
Post by: joycie on March 02, 2013, 09:50:08 AM
I adore Kalkan but it isnt uniquely Turkish anymore its being changed by arrogant Brits who want wo turn it into their bit of England. Wherever you go in the world you can taste different cultures. Chinese New Year everywhere you go fabulous. If you dont like it dont go SIMPLES.
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 09:55:54 AM
We are all entitled to our opinions and i actually agree with a lot of what you say, but come on its only food, it's hardly foam party's  8) ;)  8)

We are talking international cuisine here  ::)    Are you of the opinion that pizza should only be sold in Italy, paella in Spain, curry in India etc etc ?

Bazza do you mind me asking what you drink ( that's if you do drink ) while on holiday  ???

Please let's not turn this thread into a series of personal rants as that gets us nowhere  :-* :) :-*
Post by: brian j p on March 02, 2013, 10:07:00 AM
Agree with Onelove, " it is only food" , Kalkan is still beautiful Kalkan no matter what is on the menus
Post by: M n M on March 02, 2013, 10:39:24 AM
A group of 17 of us went to Hisaronu yesterday and had a brilliant meal at the Shine restaurant. This is where the chef who cooks the Indian at Mousakka works. Hope there is going to be an Indian restaurant in Kalkan. It will be great for us in Winter who have very limited options of where to eat. There are lots of restaurants in Kalkan open during the Summer, so no-one has to eat anything that they don't want. Has been said before 'live and let live'.
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 11:02:02 AM
Yeah M n M how good would that be, they say it will be open All year round.

How much did you pay per person for the curry, excluding drink ?
Post by: M n M on March 02, 2013, 11:33:08 AM
The set meal cost 20TL. Poppadoms and chutneys, choice of starter and choice of curry with rice or naan bread.
Great value and excellent food.
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 11:53:37 AM
Wow, what fantastic value.
Post by: Chris_S on March 02, 2013, 12:56:54 PM
I'm wondering if I can get a Pide in Mumbai?
Post by: bazza1970 on March 02, 2013, 01:32:30 PM
In answer to your question one love, I drink Ayran during the day and a mixture of Rose Lal and cold Efes in the evening. I don't touch English beers, I have a Sainsburys at home. When I'm in Tukey, I like to drink local drinks.
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 02:30:34 PM
Thanks for your reply bazza.

What colour is your Fez.              Only a little joke  ;) :P ;)
Post by: olive on March 02, 2013, 02:39:31 PM
Do you have a vested interest in this Indian restaurant Onelove? 
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 02:41:55 PM
No.   A friend of mine has.
Post by: onelove on March 02, 2013, 02:43:44 PM
....sorry should of added that I can if I want though  ??? ??? ???
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 02, 2013, 03:28:02 PM
I drink Ayran during the day and a mixture of Rose Lal and cold Efes in the evening.
A mixture of Rose Lal and Efes? That sounds disgusting, doesn't it froth up in the glass too much?  ;D ;D
B
Post by: bazza1970 on March 02, 2013, 05:11:37 PM
No, it doesn't froth too much
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 03, 2013, 08:23:02 PM
If every country can only serve the food that is native to that country then we wouldn't have Indian, Chinese, Italian, etc in the UK. I personally feel it would be a worse place without the cultural diversity of food.

Some peole spend quite a long time in Kalkan during the course of a year with long stays, multiple visit or living there and so welcome some diversity. Barry you have visited 6 times in 5 years, probably for 2 weeks each time so obviously you haven't the time to feel the need for a change of food choice. I wonder if you only eat English food in England and if so why do you restrict yourself to this? If you do eat foods imported from other cultures why do you want to restrict those in Kalkan to a lesser choice?
Post by: onelove on March 03, 2013, 08:34:52 PM
If every country can only serve the food that is native to that country then we wouldn't have Indian, Chinese, Italian, etc in the UK. I personally feel it would be a worse place without the cultural diversity of food.

Some peole spend quite a long time in Kalkan during the course of a year with long stays, multiple visit or living there and so welcome some diversity. Barry you have visited 6 times in 5 years, probably for 2 weeks each time so obviously you haven't the time to feel the need for a change of food choice. I wonder if you only eat English food in England and if so why do you restrict yourself to this? If you do eat foods imported from other cultures why do you want to restrict those in Kalkan to a lesser choice?

Here here  8)
Post by: bazza1970 on March 04, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
You're completely missing the point here. We are not talking about food available to residents. In the UK, we have a wonderful diversity of world food of which I eat and enjoy regularly. I am talking in the context of tourism and the visiting tourist. When tourists visit London, they make for the pie & mash shops, eat bangers and mash, beans on toast, pasties, have a full English fry up and use the cafes and English restaurants in the main to enjoy English (or traditional British fayre). I am talking about the tourist visitor to Kalkan, not the clique of English ex-pats who either live or have property there and visit numerous times a year (by the way Kalkan Regular, I have been more than the 6 times you state in your post, more like 11). I also own three rental properties and have a share in one retail business, so I have more than a passing interest in the development and changes of Kalkan for both visitors and residents alike.

What I am against is the emergence of an English-style high street full of similar dining choices for tourists who come away from England to avoid that which they regularly see every day in their own country. It is not stereotypical to want to eat indigenous food in the country one holidays in, it is quite normal. Only 30 short years ago, if one went to Spain, all you could find is Paella, roast suckling pig, tapas and patatas bravas. Now, one is surrounded by Pete's Plaice fish and chip shops, Taj Mahal curry houses and Chinese takeaways. If the restaurant isn't run by English, you'll often find the locals running them have developed English accents! That may be welcome change for some but it sure ain't progress in my book and it is quite wrong. The visitor's phrase book is all but dead today as everyone speaks English now and the heart and soul of most tourist destinations has transmogrified into one, solid British mass! There is no magic in discovering a new culture any more. That, for me, is half the fun of travelling to another country. To experience its culture and not seeing much of my own.

So what I am trying to convey in these posts is not a dig at those who live or stay in Kalkan longer than the average tourist but how I would like to see Turkey stay Turkish in the main for the numerous majority visitors who come and fall in love with it.

The last thing I want to see is Kalkan turning into another Benidorm, Malia, Marmaris or Kavos. The chav element of our society is a destructive force that, if they are allowed and encouraged to spread their change across all Mediterranean resorts, will alter life irrevocably for Kalkan residents, both Turkish and British - and I do not want to see this commerciality ruin the beauty and peaceful Turkish charm of Kalkan. And it all starts with the Anglicising of the resort itself. Like attracts like.

My message to those who would see it change just in the name of satisfying their English dining habits is, sell up, stay away and do not pass Go. This town needs its Turkish culture to stay Turkish. It is what attracted us all to Kalkan in the first place, isn't it?

On walking down to the harbour on a balmy summer's evening, would you prefer thudding disco music, pulsating bars, neon lights, groups of violent drunken youth creating pools of vomit and lines of English style restaurants with locals outside saying: "Alright mate! Curry arf price tonite!" or would you prefer the gentle lap of the tide against the harbour wall, the evocative notes of an Anatolian ballad crackling from speakers and decent, mature people peacefully enjoying their shopping, dining and chatting to locals who truly love the English and who welcome them nightly with a friendly and genuine, "Merhaba?"

I know what I would prefer.

Post by: Kalkan regular on March 04, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Thank you for your comprehensive response. I took the 6 visits from your own first posting, which I realise now was in 2010.

I too do not want Kalkan to become another Marmaris but I think we differ in what would make it that way. I also would not wish to diminish the role that residents, long stay guests and property owners play in the life of Kalkan.
Local Turkish friends tell me they would also enjoy an Indian meal sometimes.

I don't think one Indian restaurant will turn it into a 'chav' resort, after all it has had a Chinese restaurant and takeaway for years. Guests who want to only eat Turkish have a massive selection of restaurants to choose from in Kalkan.
Post by: kalkanbelle on March 04, 2013, 11:14:18 AM
Very eloquently put Bazza and I think many of us echo your sentiments and have been drawn to Kalkan for the same reasons you have expressed.  I don't think any of us would like to see it turned into another chav infested resort and the previous discussions about the arrival of Pasaport Pizza, supermarket chains and the threat of a Burger King, McDonalds etc has caused a bit of uproar.  I too hope and pray that Kalkan stays true to its culture and charm and that the wonderful Turkish cuisine does not gradually disappear and we see more and more restaurants serving British food that we can have every day at home.  One of the reasons I love Kalkan so much is for the unique dining experience as the Turkish dishes are nothing like anything we have at home (and I am not talking about kebabs!).  There are enough places in Europe to visit if you want fish and chips, burgers and Sky sports but I would personally hate to see Kalkan turn into one. 
On the subject of having an Indian restaurant if it was authentic and served beautiful Indian food and didn't go down the curry and chips route I think it would be a nice addition to the wonderful eating experience Kalkan has to offer.
Post by: onelove on March 04, 2013, 11:51:55 AM
bazza as i have already said in a previous post I agree with a lot of what you say, but not all which is totally normal, how boring would life be if we all agreed with each other all the time  ???

Kalkanbelle & Kalkan regular I agree with everything you say.

I'm on my sunbed writing this as its a lovely day here in Kalkan, a tad windy, but hey ho can't complain  8) ;) 8).........unlike some  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: bazza1970 on March 04, 2013, 11:55:20 AM
Oh I'm not complaining lol, it's a lovely part sunny day around 21C in Nicosia!
Post by: onelove on March 04, 2013, 11:58:06 AM
Sounds lovely bazza.  Good to see we can both laugh  ;D ;) ;D
Post by: Mags on March 04, 2013, 12:04:09 PM
Very well said, Bazza (and Kalkan Belle). Thanks for taking the time to post such a reasoned and eloquent argument against creeping chav-ness in Kalkan!
Post by: bazza1970 on March 04, 2013, 12:22:24 PM
I always try to laugh One Love but I take my food seriously..........and hold the things that this short life make pleasureable such as getting away from the cold island of St George dear. Have a nice day now  :)
Post by: heyho on March 04, 2013, 02:14:47 PM
To answer Joycie, yes there was an Indian restaurant down on the harbour a few years ago, run by an Indian family.  And very nice it was too.  Unfortunately they were 'driven' out.  Lots of calls made to the jandarma over nothing, lots of unpleasantness, and the family finally upped and left.  If the new Indian restaurant is to be run by a Turkish person(s) then it stands a chance, but if not, I would imagine the same thing will happen. 

Shame really, because a little bit of diversity never did anyone any harm, and it is certainly not up to us Brits, ex-pats or holidaymakers, to keep Kalkan 'in the dark' just because we like it how we like it.  If you see what I mean.

If the locals are prepared to live and let live, then that would be the changing face of modern Turkey, surely?  And if you don't like it.....
Post by: joycie on March 04, 2013, 03:19:50 PM
I remember having a lovely meal there and thinking that it was a lovely addition to Kalkan and in no way did it take away Kalkans lovely ambiance. In factat that time it made us visit some of the restaurants around it including Jimmys etc.
Post by: bazza1970 on March 04, 2013, 03:52:21 PM
To Heyho

You make a valid point. However, you also say that the Turks are prepared to live and let live. I'm afraid they are not and you will find if you research the Indian restaurant that tried, and failed, that it was mostly the Turks who caused the problems to oust them out of town! The Kalkan business community is fiercely protective to ensure that Kalkan stays Turkish - and the the only English thing they really like are those who line their pockets buying their villas, eating from their restaurants and purchasing souvenirs from their shops. This is in stark contrast to the UK where we have systematically given up our identity in the name of diversity and where the majority of independent shops, restaurants etc are owned by foreigners and immigrants.

Post by: kalkan4eva on March 04, 2013, 03:53:15 PM
Lordy what have you started, onelove? :)
Its a fact of life that things change, nothing stays the same....Kalkan is very different to what it was when people like BL started coming but it retains its charm. Passaport Pizza was meant to signal the end of life as we know it last year - yes its a bit gaudy looking and not really in keeping with the style of other restaurants, but it was full of locals whenever we passed...and the Lap Dancing bars and Kiss Me Quick hats didn't exactly follow!!!
I'm not sure that every tourist visitor to London heads to the Pie and Mash shops, just as every tourist visitor doesn't head to say Ayse's Kitchen in Kalkan :-\
We would be up in arms if only local British fayre could be served in the UK...crikey I live in Wales, it would be lamb and Barabrith on every menu :P. I think Kalkan has managed to embrace progress and expansion in terms of its bars and restaurants quite well....particularly in the heart of the village.
Just my opinion :)
Post by: bazza1970 on March 04, 2013, 06:01:16 PM
Most definitely a can of worms kalkan4eva!  ;D
Post by: onelove on March 04, 2013, 06:11:37 PM
Lordy what have you started, onelove? :)
Its a fact of life that things change, nothing stays the same....Kalkan is very different to what it was when people like BL started coming but it retains its charm. Passaport Pizza was meant to signal the end of life as we know it last year - yes its a bit gaudy looking and not really in keeping with the style of other restaurants, but it was full of locals whenever we passed...and the Lap Dancing bars and Kiss Me Quick hats didn't exactly follow!!!
I'm not sure that every tourist visitor to London heads to the Pie and Mash shops, just as every tourist visitor doesn't head to say Ayse's Kitchen in Kalkan :-\
We would be up in arms if only local British fayre could be served in the UK...crikey I live in Wales, it would be lamb and Barabrith on every menu :P. I think Kalkan has managed to embrace progress and expansion in terms of its bars and restaurants quite well....particularly in the heart of the village.
Just my opinion :)

Sorry everyone, thought it was just a simple question  ::) 8) ::)
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 04, 2013, 08:48:58 PM
Anyway....is there or isn't there going to be an Indian Restaurant in Kalamar Road, does anyone know any facts?
Post by: onelove on March 04, 2013, 09:48:49 PM
I can confirm if everything goes to plan......Yes.
Post by: onelove on March 15, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
I can confirm that 'Chapter One'' will be an Indian restaurant from the start of this season.

It is due to open end of March, early April.

It will offer a Full authentic Indian menu, including tandoori. + a wide range of Turkish and international cuisine.

A full delivery and take out service will be available.

It also plans to open all year round, if there is enough demand.

Post by: Kalkan regular on March 15, 2013, 08:07:20 PM
Thank you for the information. It's a really central location. They may be able to make it work if they are also offerering Turkish & international cuisine.
Post by: onelove on March 15, 2013, 08:21:04 PM
I think they will smash it with just Indian food, but so im told lots more on offer as well  :o
Post by: amber on March 16, 2013, 04:48:18 AM
Will be amazed if they are open all year! The town has been dead for most of the winter months except christmas/new year.No tourists and not enough locals.Too much building work going on,street lighting terrible,horrible weather.The monthly curry nights have been a great success but I cant see enough business to keep a restaurant open all year, of that sort, in that location - could be proved wrong of course!
Post by: onelove on March 16, 2013, 05:39:33 AM
I understand your view, but think your be surprised how many people will use it out of season  :o

Variety is the key  ;)
Post by: Chris_S on March 16, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
I can't see one Indian Restaurant causing an issue.  Whether it's for visitors or locals.  The problem wold come if other 'entrepreneurs' choose to cash in on what they see as an opportunity to diversify in culinary diversification.

This leads to the Marmaris/Torremolinos style of repetitive, non-indigenous restaurants.  They may vary slightly, but, inherently, they are trying to copy something from a local standpoint, so they are all very similar.

The 'Chav' element creeps in by virtue of the definition.  being polite, most of us are discerning and endeavour to obtain a quality/price point in the meals we eat out.  We choose to eat downmarket, or upmarket, or alternatively to avoid either for our own reasons.  The issue that changes the locale is when the clientele who choose to always eat at fast/cheap food emporiums at the expensive of more style/quality or adventurousness.  The entrepreneurs soon spot that these are the people that provide the alternative to a low, high value footfall, is a high, low value footfall. Because of the customer numbers, these appear to be popular and get further punters through the door, thus perpetuating the business model.

Think of it in the terms of cars.  Would you prefer a Daewoo or a Mercedes?  There's room for both, they'll both get you there, but with somewhat different style!
Post by: kalkankiki on March 17, 2013, 06:06:01 AM
Kalkan has been quieter than ever this winter and I doubt the appearance of an Indian Restauarant would pull more people out. The once a month curry night is a good social gathering for those who live here, its not just about the curry!
Post by: onelove on March 17, 2013, 06:53:43 AM
Thanks for your feedback kalkankiki.

You may well be right. We shall have to wait and see  ???

IMHO I would of thought residents/out of season visitor's would welcome the extra variety /choice of food on offer ???
Post by: kalkankiki on March 17, 2013, 07:07:07 AM
IMHO the 3 best restaurants in Kalkan are open in the winter already!
Post by: Cosetta on March 17, 2013, 07:56:28 AM
We will warmly welcome an Indian restaurant.  We eat out less and less because although the food in Kalkan is good, there is little variety, it is all so similar it gets boring.  And yes, foreign owned businesses have had a very hard time surviving in a protected environment.  Even the minibus drivers got harassed by the taxi drivers a few years ago and most hotels had to stop their service.  Now it may be different, we have a car, don't take hotel transport so not sure how that problem ended.
Post by: onelove on March 17, 2013, 07:58:29 AM
Kalkankiki are you aware that Aubergine is not going to stay open next winter  ???
Post by: Cuddles on March 17, 2013, 09:14:19 AM
Cosetta, I think your post says exactly what I wanted to say. The difference is that I only visit 2 or 3 times a year for around 10 - 16 weeks.
I have a restauranteur friend whose menu is the same as every other upmarket restaurant. However, when I go to eat at his house, the food his wife prepares is real Turkish and absolutely divine.
I just do not understand why he doesn't serve the same at his restaurant. I'm sure that if he did, he would be full every night.
Post by: olive on March 17, 2013, 03:32:42 PM
So it isn't an authentic Indian restaurant after all if it is also offering International and Turkish cuisine! 
Post by: onelove on March 17, 2013, 04:19:12 PM
Sorry your wrong Olive, it is an Authentic Indian restaurant, why would you say otherwise ?

Indian restaurant in the uk Always have other dishes on their menus....it's what you call catering for everyone / all tastes, is all about  ???

Think about it, there are a lot of Big party's on holiday together....6/8/10/12 etc etc and not everyone likes Indian food, including young kids, so they are offering other dishes so (most) everyone can have something they like.....simples  ::)  8) ::)

Give it a try then comment  ;)
Post by: pw on March 17, 2013, 04:24:21 PM
So it isn't an authentic Indian restaurant after all if it is also offering International and Turkish cuisine! 

All the Bradford curry houses offer English alternatives and you don't get more authentic than them!
Post by: Skunk on March 17, 2013, 05:06:59 PM
This could run and run!!!  >:D >:D ::) ::) :( Sorry to hear Aubergine is not going to be opening this winter - but I expect there will be some sort of celebration at New Years, surely.  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: onelove on March 17, 2013, 05:11:58 PM
Hi Skunk,

I was chatting to one of the waiters last week and he said as far as he knew it won't be open for new year either. Can't make it pay by all accounts  :-[ :o :-[

Your quite right peterwilka....same goes for the 'curry mile' in Manchester.

Feet run in our family  >:D ;D  >:D

Post by: lilly on March 17, 2013, 05:25:20 PM
I can't see why it matters what type of cuisine they cook. If the food tastes good and you like the food you ordered, great. I love Indian food my OH hates it. If they serve an alternative OH can have what he likes and I can have what I like
I love the food served in Kalkan but after a week or so it does get a bit repetitive. The quality of chefs working in the restaurants is superb and everything they cook is usually yummy.
I do not think opening an Indian restaurant in the village will turn Kalkan into a 18-30 gravy chip and curry destination.  ;)
Post by: chickengeorge on March 17, 2013, 07:36:05 PM
It's funny how people mention going to a country to experience their cuisine. I was in the Pendic area of Istanbul last week. We seemed to be the only foreigners around. By far the busiest restaurant was McDonalds! Sad but true. Let's face it Western Turkey is becoming more westernised whether we like it or not. As someone stated earlier the Brits in Kalkan may shun Pasaport Pizza but if the locals like it then who's to stop them wanting more of the same. 
Post by: kalkanbabe on March 18, 2013, 12:50:08 PM
Has it got an Indian chef?
Post by: onelove on March 18, 2013, 01:08:29 PM
Yes.  The chef has worked in northern Cyprus for the last 20 years in Indian restaurants.

The Indian side of the menu will be as you (we) are used to in the UK.
Post by: pw on March 18, 2013, 06:20:19 PM
As long as they don't allow people to feed animals at the tables I'll give it a whirl...

PW
Post by: onelove on March 18, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
Best we can do on that score.....is a 'Doggy Bag'  ;) 8) ;)
Post by: bazza1970 on March 19, 2013, 06:41:54 AM
Judging by the comments thus far, it seems there are as many people against the concept of an Asian restaurant in Kalkan as those in favour. Has OneLove got a vested interest in this new enterprise per chance?

I didn't know that Aubergine had taken the decision to shut during the close season and although a different price point, it should spell a warning to would be fly by night restaurateurs that if an established quality Turkish owned restaurant in a prime position cannot make it work during the winter, then a curry house serving such delights as cholesterol laden chicken tikka masala, oil drenched papadams and fatty ghee soaked dhal hasn't got a hope in hell.

Let the people decide......but whatever you do, KEEP KALKAN CHAV FREE!
Post by: pw on March 19, 2013, 07:51:32 AM
Judging by the comments thus far, it seems there are as many people against the concept of an Asian restaurant in Kalkan as those in favour. Has OneLove got a vested interest in this new enterprise per chance?

I didn't know that Aubergine had taken the decision to shut during the close season and although a different price point, it should spell a warning to would be fly by night restaurateurs that if an established quality Turkish owned restaurant in a prime position cannot make it work during the winter, then a curry house serving such delights as cholesterol laden chicken tikka masala, oil drenched papadams and fatty ghee soaked dhal hasn't got a hope in hell.

Let the people decide......but whatever you do, KEEP KALKAN CHAV FREE!

Bazza,

Why would you assume that this yet to be opened restaurant's food will be any less healthy than any other restaurant in Kalkan? If the quality isn't up to Kalkan's standard then I'm sure people will vote with their feet. If it is good they will do the same.
Variety is the spice of life and I would much rather see someone attempt to bring a quality alternative cuisine to the town than to open another typical Kalkan restaurant just like the other 100+.
Good luck to them!

PW
Post by: bazza1970 on March 19, 2013, 07:55:03 AM
Peter

The beauty of democracy is that we are allowed to have differing opinions. I fully respect yours and agree with your sentiments that consumers should decide any businesses' fate.

As my dear old nan used to say, "time will out."

Best wishes to you.

Bazza
Post by: onelove on March 19, 2013, 10:39:31 AM
FYI bazza, yes I have decided to invest in this new venture.

You don't see a lot of fat Indians  ;) ;D ;)
Post by: kevincat99 on March 19, 2013, 10:49:36 AM
People living all year here in Kalkan tend to be a little "faddy" - what is great for a while suddenly isn't - look at Topaz last year - everyone wanted somewhere in the winter to have a good meal and a dance - it was open 3 nights a week for a couple of months then closed: Yesil Ev just over the road again the same thing happened.

Whilst I wish it every success I am not too sure of it's viability

An Indian restaurant would be very lucky to manage to remain open all year with enough clients to justify the expense

Just a thought Onelove will the pricing structure be what the English expect of Indian restaurants in the UK i.e. usually cheap, cheerful and good portions or will it be on a par with many of Kalkan's other high end establishments
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 19, 2013, 11:28:50 AM
Not all the Indian restaurants in the UK are cheap & chearful. We have a few locally that deliver very good quality food and charge on a par with non-Indian restaurants and they are doing a very good trade.
Post by: bazza1970 on March 19, 2013, 11:55:32 AM
Listen, are tourists visiting Turkey to get more of the same of what they enjoy weekly in the UK or are they coming to Turkey because they want to experience Turkish culture, Turkish people and Turkish cuisine? If you want to eat Indian so much and live in Kalkan, come back home. If you're a tourist and want to eat Indian, either stay back in the UK or visit India!   >:D
Post by: turkeyfan on March 19, 2013, 01:31:17 PM
The beauty of democracy is that we are allowed to have differing opinions. I fully respect yours and agree with your sentiments that consumers should decide any businesses' fate.
If you're a tourist and want to eat Indian, either stay back in the UK or visit India!   >:D

It doesn't sound like you respect other peoples views Bazza!! 
Post by: bazza1970 on March 19, 2013, 01:37:28 PM
I do, but perhaps mine are a little more strident. I am passionate about Kalkan and want it to retain the unique charm that everyone who has visited and come to enjoy, stays the same. So many Turkish resorts started out this way but fell foul of British influence. I know that we cannot slow the pace of change but in this case, I really do feel that change is not progress at all - and that if this restaurant succeeds, then it won't be too long before we get a McD and BK. At the end of the day, we get the resorts we deserve.
Post by: kalkanbelle on March 19, 2013, 02:10:32 PM
I think that most people who come to Kalkan and return year after year as well as those who love it so much they have chosen to buy property or live there permanantly feel the same as you Bazza.  They also don't want to see it turn into another full on resort that caters to everything we Brits can get at home.  But I honestly can't see how an authentic Indian restaurant serving wonderfully spiced Indian food (with alternative choices for those that prefer something different) and located in the lovely building that used to be Chapter One is going to attract McDs and BK?

There are so many wonderful Turkish restaurants in Kalkan that we are spoilt for choice and to have something a little different will be most welcome for those who fancy a change some nights.  As to whether it will be profitable to open throughout the winter it remains to be seen but in any case I wish you luck with the venture Onelove and hope it is a great success.
Post by: kalkankiki on March 19, 2013, 02:34:38 PM
The past few years have see Kalkan become quieter during the winter months. I also wonder if the fall in interest rates has affected this- those who were living off the interest have seen their incomes reduce drastically.
I dont think any restaurant business can thrive here in the winter as there is simply not enough custom.
By the way onelove, I didnt consider the Aubergine in my top 3!
Post by: fidimax on March 19, 2013, 03:37:00 PM
I understand what you are all saying about having a Indian in Kalkan,but,for myself,I love Kalkan for the Turkish food,Turkish beer and Turkish people... which is why most of you like it also,sorry,but I would not use a Indian,may be others would.
But think about it ... would you all like it if someone opened a bar serving only English beers,fish and chips,and all day Full English ?
I remember not too long ago a lot of members complaining about a place down at the harbour serving " full english Breakfast "
maybe Kalkan is changing .... I have seen this over the years,more " young Kids " being sick in the streets etc,but I still love the place,idiots or not,Indian or not .... If I dont like anything,I can avoid it .
Post by: brian j p on March 19, 2013, 05:34:06 PM
Kalkan can only survive in the future  if it moves with the times, If airfares continue to rise many visitors might not be able to afford to visit as in the past, and Kalkan  will need to attract other  types of tourists, especially the younger generation.( who might just love an indian !!)I suspect the tourist board & local businesses will not have a problem with diversifying, including allowing non traditional type businesses to flourish including attracting all types of tourists. So long as Kalkan retains it's charm and I am sure it will , I cannot see there being any problems or threat to what Kalkan is about.

PS: I love Turkish cuisine and trying all  those wonderful traditional and international dishes that Kalkan is renowned for,  that is why I love Kalkan. However I would not mind visiting an Indian restaurant if there was one ,  it just adds more to what Kalkan has always been about , sampling international food at it's best  in the best place by the best locals in the world
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 19, 2013, 05:43:48 PM
Listen, are tourists visiting Turkey to get more of the same of what they enjoy weekly in the UK or are they coming to Turkey because they want to experience Turkish culture, Turkish people and Turkish cuisine? If you want to eat Indian so much and live in Kalkan, come back home. If you're a tourist and want to eat Indian, either stay back in the UK or visit India!   >:D

I am listening but I don't agree with you Bazza. I would say that many of the restaurants are now delivering International cuisine rather than pure Turkish cuisine, is this to be banned or is it acceptable because it is 'upmarket food'. I also would say that Kalkan is not delivering pure Turkish culture. It is now a holiday resort and to get pure culture and cuisine you need to visit other places.
I also love Kalkan very much and do not want to see it become a downmarket rough place, we just disagree on what will make this happen.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 19, 2013, 06:04:50 PM
There was a Chinese on the harbour 20+ years ago..where kleo /seaport is...it was the busiest  and possibly biggest place on the harbour front in those days with both turkish and tourist trade..it attracted people from patara which was in those days a busy little resort village.People also came from Kas(it was the same lady who a few years back had the place that is Ali's fish restaurant up from Kaya....she moved back but it didn't last long this time) it didn't bring about the downfall of kalkan ..if a place is not use or wanted it won't last....i don't eat indian but mrs L likes a Ruby Murray  so if it caters for other dishes then i can join her.. happy days..i like Turkish food and often eat it in kalkan when it is offered on menu .in fact today i have cooked a guvec from my favourite cook book from Desti gift shop..but sometimes on holiday i want a pizza other times i might just fancy egg and chips..my choice.. if someone wants to look over there glasses tut tutting feel free but i assume you wouldn't frequent such a place so it shouldn't impact on your enjoyment of an evening out ...it also means your leaving some other poor soul alone...
Post by: Babs on March 19, 2013, 06:21:09 PM
Have a feeling this will run and run....what have you started onelove??  ::) I really don't see how the arrival of an Indian restaurant will mark the 'downfall' of Kalkan. My daughter lives in Birmingham and there are some amazing upmarket and expensive Indian restaurants there. I think most people on here would love Kalkan to remain exactly the same but times change and as fidimax says if you don't like something then avoid it.
Who knows maybe the rapid increase if flight prices will keep the "undesirables" at bay.......did I really just write that!?  >:D
Post by: misty on March 19, 2013, 07:24:22 PM
Well I'm hearing from a very reliable source the Mc Donald's has got the nod to go ahead.. :)
Post by: chickengeorge on March 19, 2013, 07:54:20 PM
Was that reliable source Ronald? I've heard he's been clowning around. He doesn't even work for them any more!
I can't see how chavs will ever be attracted to Kalkan whatever the diversity of restaurants. The Shazzas and Bazzas of this world will always head toward the larger resorts :)
Post by: onelove on March 19, 2013, 10:36:18 PM
omg, what has this turned into  >:(   Ronald will get a right kicking if he was ever turn up  >:(
bazza would put the fear of god into him  ;D   

I think certain members need to take a 'chill pill' for gods sake it's just bloody food, not
18/30 loony s on the piss, getting sick, shooting up in the loos and lap dancing with extras  ::)

Kalkan is and in my opinion always will be Sooo special, it just does not attract the kind of people some are talking about and never will, I ask you what group of 20 something's would want to
come to Kalkan over all the other nutty resorts they can go to on the med  ??? Even more so if they read this forum  ::) ??? ::).  Full of 50 + year olds like myself ranting about 'Curry'.......calmness please  :o

Just for info, we intend our 'other' dishes to be very different as well, not to be found on Any other menus in Kalkan......we want to be 'stand alone'

bazza, do you find it hard to make friends  :P ;) :P
Post by: bazza1970 on March 20, 2013, 07:33:41 AM
I always knew that the first one to make this thread personal would lose the argument so well done One Love.

In any forum, in any subject, there will always be a diversity of opinion and two particular views might be as differing as you can get. However, and whilst it is always interesting to observe the strength of views between people, when one person has little left to say about the topic of discussion (particularly more so as they have a vested interest) except question the character of the person with whom their opinion is in conflict, their argument falls apart.......so well done, and in answer to your question One Love, a question completely unrelated to the issue of an Indian restaurant opening in Kalkan:

Yes, I do have friends, lots of them. In fact, I have millions of friends, literally as I am quite a well known journalist in the British press whom many people write to for advice with various problems; though I would never reveal my true identity on this forum.

Not everyone agrees with what I write but then again how boring would life be if they did.

Message to forum readers: by all means object to my argument and counter it with yournown if you will - but don't lower yourselves to the level of One Love by veering off course and attacking the writer's character. Whoever is right or wrong, whether their views are strident or not, they are as entitled to their views as are you are yours. It is democracy, played out in all its democratic glory. I thank you.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 20, 2013, 09:06:07 AM
Hey onelove.....i'm out start of june and am available to drink yummy beer and eat  yummy chips >:D
Post by: tonik1945 on March 20, 2013, 09:11:34 AM
I'm out 9th-16th June can I join this meet up please  :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 20, 2013, 09:13:51 AM
Touch my chips ...feel my fork!!! ;D
Post by: tonik1945 on March 20, 2013, 09:19:09 AM
Wouldn't dare but will buy you a beer ;D
Post by: turkeyfan on March 20, 2013, 09:49:00 AM

bazza, do you find it hard to make friends  :P ;) :P

I took that as a joke.  I didn't in anyway see that as a personal attack.  Those of us that have been posting on here for a long time often have banter with each other and it in no way mean that we are being personal.

Onelove, 'fess up, were you making your comments personal??
Post by: turkeyfan on March 20, 2013, 09:58:32 AM
BL & Tonik, we're over from 6th-16th June too :)
Post by: fidimax on March 20, 2013, 10:06:23 AM
I am out there 8th of June,but in Dalyan,but I will be in Kalkan for a night or two ...... can I join in with the chips and beer please ..... maybe with a bit of curry sauce    >:D
Post by: Cuddles on March 20, 2013, 10:14:02 AM
If only Maccy D's did a curry sauce to pour over their burgers and fries, http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gifmmmmm.........http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/Smileys/classic/evil.gif
Post by: fidimax on March 20, 2013, 10:25:06 AM
It would improve the burger and fries for sure,but then the sauce would be as bad as all the other " food "  maybe .............   ;D
Post by: Skunk on March 20, 2013, 11:29:49 PM
Just what's needed BL thank you. Has this gone on long enough? I'm not usually a great fan of Indian food but the other night I was recommended an Indian food home kitchen that only delivers. We ordered some quite different sounding stuff from the usual and it was absolutely fabulous.  Who cares what cuisine is served as long as it uses as many fresh locally sourced ingredients as possible and supports local employment in every way it can? People will soon vote with their feet if they don't like it.  End of story. Full stop.  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: tonik1945 on March 21, 2013, 12:50:08 AM
Fantastic turkeyfan and fidimax would love to meet up with you perhaps also Mr and Mrs L. According to my "Days until" app in 80 days time I will be there so shall we share pms re times etc or just post to forum? Best wishes Toni
Post by: maryharvie on March 21, 2013, 05:20:39 AM
Come on Brazza it was only a joke  ;D
Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 07:03:28 AM
bazza it sounds like I have offended you, this was Never meant, it was just a bit of lighthearted fun trust me  ???

Please accept my sincere apologies.

As a sign of good faith why don't you come along to the restaurant, and even if you don't like Indian food, enjoy a drink on and with me ?   

I don't have anywhere near as many friends as you so could do with the company   ;) 8) ;)
Post by: kevincat99 on March 21, 2013, 07:20:43 AM

Onelove can I also please upset you so I can come along to the restaurant for some freebies ??  ;D
Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 07:31:47 AM
Hi kevincat, yeah why not come along for a free taster , only rule, you buy the beer  ;D

BL, tonik1945 and turkeyfan......please no Chips, what you doing trying to get me hung, if
you want chips go to France   ;) >:D ;)

Misty....I noticed your post, another of your little wind ups no doubt  ;D ;) ;D'

'What you got'....I've got, spam & chips, chips, egg & spam....... >:D >:D >:D
Post by: Christina on March 21, 2013, 07:40:42 AM
Aw, I'm pleased that the boys are playing nicely again.

They say that any publicity is good publicity, so with over 4,000 views of this discussion, OneLove has certainly succeeded in raising awareness of this venture. And I'm sure that even the sceptics won't be able to resist a discreet 'drive-by' next time they are in KK - just to check it out. Good luck to you. And respect to others who contributed so entertainingly to this lively, if at times uncomfortable, banter.

I'm in KK next week for a month. Will the restaurant be open and your pakoras ready for sampling by then OneLove?
Post by: Babs on March 21, 2013, 08:54:03 AM
Is there an Indian restaurant opening in Kalkan then??  >:D >:D
Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 10:28:12 AM
Hi KK,  I agree it was a good lively thread. Thanks to all who posted.

It won't be open when you arrive, but should def be open before you leave. Look forward
to seeing you in the restaurant..... ;)

Post by: turkeyfan on March 21, 2013, 12:05:08 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it.

Will you be open by 16th April do you think?
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 21, 2013, 01:00:24 PM
Well, I've resisted so far,  but here goes...I doubt if we would go to an indian restaurant in Kalkan as we've never even tried the chinese yet (is it still there, does anyone go?)although our daughter looks at it longingly when we pass. The reason we probably wouldn't go is that we can usually only manage either one or two to two and a half weeks at a time in kalkan and there simply isn't enough time to try the more traditional and mediterranean style restaurants, let alone something we can eat regularly at home.
However, if I lived in Kalkan, or was fortunate to to visit for longer periods at a time, I'm pretty sure we would enjoy trying something different and I can imagine that I would get withdrawal symptoms if I had to go longer than 6 months without a chicken tikka passanda or a balti robja!!  >:D
We love Kalkan and we love it just how it is, just like Bazza does and probably just like we all do. The minute it ever became a Kavos/Marmaris type of resort is the minute we would stop coming, but I fail to see how an upmarket restaurant, with a top chef who cooked with quality ingredients can turn lovely Kalkan into Kavos. I know exactly where you are coming from Bazza (and I think I've guessed who you are!!) and I agree with your priciples on wanting to keep Kalkan a special, upmarket, fairly traditional resort for tourists, however an indian restaurant does not have to be chavvy or attract the wrong crowd.
I wish you well in your venture onelove and if you are open from 6th april, we may call in for a drink.  :)
Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 01:07:52 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it.

Will you be open by 16th April do you think?

Hi turkeyfan,   We fully intend to.....'Turkey Time' permitting   ;) 8) ;)
Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 01:21:33 PM
Well, I've resisted so far,  but here goes...I doubt if we would go to an indian restaurant in Kalkan as we've never even tried the chinese yet (is it still there, does anyone go?)although our daughter looks at it longingly when we pass. The reason we probably wouldn't go is that we can usually only manage either one or two to two and a half weeks at a time in kalkan and there simply isn't enough time to try the more traditional and mediterranean style restaurants, let alone something we can eat regularly at home.
However, if I lived in Kalkan, or was fortunate to to visit for longer periods at a time, I'm pretty sure we would enjoy trying something different and I can imagine that I would get withdrawal symptoms if I had to go longer than 6 months without a chicken tikka passanda or a balti robja!!  >:D
We love Kalkan and we love it just how it is, just like Bazza does and probably just like we all do. The minute it ever became a Kavos/Marmaris type of resort is the minute we would stop coming, but I fail to see how an upmarket restaurant, with a top chef who cooked with quality ingredients can turn lovely Kalkan into Kavos. I know exactly where you are coming from Bazza (and I think I've guessed who you are!!) and I agree with your priciples on wanting to keep Kalkan a special, upmarket, fairly traditional resort for tourists, however an indian restaurant does not have to be chavvy or attract the wrong crowd.
I wish you well in your venture onelove and if you are open from 6th april, we may call in for a drink.  :)

Hi Lizilu20,

I Fully understand and respect your reason for not ( maybe  ::) ) wanting to eat curry while your on holiday, and thank you for your kind comments regarding the success of the new venture. Of course it's not going to be for everyone, What is ?  If someone can show me an idea that Everyone wants  to buy / do.....I'll happily invest in that too  ;D ;)   ;D

Really look forward to maybe seeing for a drink or two  8)
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 21, 2013, 01:32:35 PM
Thanks onelove, we will look forward to that too. You must let us know the opening date and you never know - we may not be able to resist the aromas wafting from the kitchen!!!  ;) :) ;)
Post by: kevincat99 on March 21, 2013, 02:00:14 PM

Onelove
-
these other dishes that are on no other Kalkan restaurants be pies ??

We have no pies at all in Kalkan - Turkish or otherwise !!!
Post by: Cosetta on March 21, 2013, 02:17:22 PM
"Variety is the spice of life and I would much rather see someone attempt to bring a quality alternative cuisine to the town than to open another typical Kalkan restaurant just like the other 100+.
Good luck to them!" - PW

Right on PW - couldn't agree more!

Kalkan is already no longer an 'authentic Turkish' town.  So much so that some Turkish friends recently decided to leave Kalkan for that very reason.  As for the restaurant menus, they are more international than truely Turkish according to other Turkish friends.  The restaurants do not serve what we eat in the homes of Turkish friends.

And finally, everyone in this forum seems to be British.  We are not and haven't even been in the UK since 1980, have never eaten fish and chips and don't know what a 'chav' is!  There are now other nationalities coming to Kalkan in the summer.  Last year we had German and Swedish renters.  In Kalkan we have French and Italian friends as well as British and Turkish.  There are more and more Americans and Russian tourists coming.  Do you think it's reasonable to tell the non-Brits to go to the UK if they want to eat an Indian meal? It sounds a tad arrogant.

Post by: joycie on March 21, 2013, 02:35:18 PM
Oh Cosetta thanks for talking sensibly I totally agree with you.

Post by: onelove on March 21, 2013, 03:43:43 PM
Thanks for your comments Cosetta and also your good wishes for the success of the restaurant
 ;) :) ;)
Post by: pw on March 21, 2013, 06:50:29 PM

Onelove
-
these other dishes that are on no other Kalkan restaurants be pies ??

We have no pies at all in Kalkan - Turkish or otherwise !!!

NO PIES! Love Kalkan as I do I couldn't live there!
Post by: samson on March 21, 2013, 08:49:30 PM
 :) lizzielou20  i may get my hands cut off and my tongue ripped out by some forum members to admit   that i have been twice every season to the chinese on the kalamar  road. have thoroughly enjoyed it. (never eat chinese in uk ) ! will look forward to having an indian if i fancy it!
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 21, 2013, 10:26:15 PM
Ha ha, good on you Samson  ;D ;D ;D proof that there's room for diversity in Kalkan. If anyone wants me to smuggle any contraband Hollands pies in my suitcase for when we come next month, just let me know!!    :o
Post by: Automan on March 21, 2013, 10:44:59 PM
All the best with your new venture Onelove. As a repeat visitor to Kalkan I think its a good thing to have a varied choice of places to eat but having said that we prefer eating traditional local quisine. We dont want the likes of MCDonalds & Burger King in Kalkan either but i hardly think that your Indian Restaurant will lower the tone of Kalkan as we know it. I know there is a Chinese Restaurant in Kalkan and so far  have chosen not to go there, however I know its there should I wish to enjoy a Chicken Chow Mein. Its good to have a choice.
Post by: onelove on March 22, 2013, 06:00:01 AM
Thanks for good luck wishes.

As we all know....'Time will tell'  ;) ;D ;)

Note ; looking back on the thread I noticed that once or twice it has been said that I have been 'upset' ......I can honestly say nobody has upset me during this thread and I have enjoyed All posts, and thank you all for your much valued contributions.

Onelove  >:D 8) >:D
Post by: kevincat99 on March 22, 2013, 07:15:22 AM

Onelove

Is that the name of the new restaurant that you have let slip maybe .......

TIME WILL TELL

??
Post by: bazza1970 on March 22, 2013, 07:25:44 AM

Kaç İngilizce Ziyaretin önemi ya Kalkan yaşamayı tercih etmez, o ebediyen Türk olacak. On yıllık bir süre içinde her yerde Karaoke barlar ve bingo kanatları gördüğü halde, onun ruhunu asla kaybetmeyeceğiz. Her zaman ortak Küçük England'lıların uzak gizlemek için dağlar var olacak!  :angel:
:angel: >:D
Post by: onelove on March 22, 2013, 07:33:21 AM
Karaoke and Bingo, I dread the thought  ;) >:D ;).  'Aint got a scobby doo what the rest said  ;D :o ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 22, 2013, 08:45:41 AM

Onelove

TIME WILL TELL

??

The Name of the Indian Restaurant?
Could be the start of a whole new thread!

I'll start it off:

Suntan Doori  8)
Naando's
Curryoke
Bharji King
Argy Bharji
Balti Towers
Pitta Hut
Korma Chameleon
KFC (Kalkan Flaming Curry) ;D
B
Post by: onelove on March 22, 2013, 09:23:25 AM

Onelove

TIME WILL TELL

??

The Name of the Indian Restaurant?
Could be the start of a whole new thread!

I'll start it off:

Suntan Doori  8)
Naando's
Curryoke
Bharji King
Argy Bharji
Balti Towers
Pitta Hut
Korma Chameleon
KFC (Kalkan Flaming Curry)  ;D
B

ARUBY
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 22, 2013, 09:30:45 AM
How about Köri Ev?  :laugh:
Post by: Kalkan regular on March 22, 2013, 09:35:34 AM
How about Posh Spice.....but don't know if that makes it upmarket or downmarket!
Post by: Chris_S on March 22, 2013, 11:17:24 AM
Let me just say that I've never had an authentic Indian Meal in an Indian restaurant, and certainly not in the UK!

Similarly, I can say the same for Greek, Chinese, Thai and Lebanese.  The jury is still out on Italian, French and Spanish.

I'm comparing them to meals I've had in the respective countries or the homes of people from those countries.

So why are we surprised by the internationalisation of restaurant food?  Are we expecting Americans to be making BigMacs, KFCs or Dominos Pizzas in their kitchens?

When I come to Turkey, I do try to avoid the very top-end places (principally because they aren't as good as they think they are), and attempt to get as close as I can to local cuisine as often as I like.  If the food isn't authentic Turkish, then it does, at least, put a Turkish slant on it, that is completely different to anything else.  Which is why many UK restaurant goers think they know about other cuisines (Indian, Chinese, etc) when it is really that what they are looking for is satisfied (or not) by the relevant restaurant that they go to.

I don't have an issue with an Indian Restaurant in Kalamar Road.  It will go with the Chinese.  I can then wait for the Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Malaysian, Malawian, Fijian or Icelandic restaurant to open up as necessary.

Just keep them out of the Old Town, so that something of the character is retained, and avoid stringing them all together so that it turns into Torremolinos.

That said, I'm still looking forward to enjoying the restaurants in Kalkan that I like, even if I know that, often, I'm not eating exactly what a villager in the Taurus Mountains may be having...

Post by: Mayday1 on March 22, 2013, 05:17:37 PM
Am i right in thinking " ARUBY " is going to be in the old Chapter one restaurant premises,next to Adda tours,and not on the Kalamar road
Post by: onelove on March 22, 2013, 06:39:27 PM
The Indian restaurant will be at Chapter One. it is not going to be called ARUBY, no name
has been decide on as yet  ;)
Post by: Mayday1 on March 22, 2013, 08:48:37 PM
Hi onelove,

I know its not going to be called ARUBY....i know this was meant by you,in an earlier post,as a joke name.I am sure the actual name is going to be a lot more subtle and not quite as obvious.I wish you the very best with this venture.Are you having a launch night and do you know when yet.We are there in May,and would love to come,and then recommend it to our guests.
Post by: Skunk on March 22, 2013, 08:57:25 PM
How about.......................Gandhi's Loincloth.   :-* :-* :-*
Post by: Mayday1 on March 22, 2013, 10:04:42 PM
Hi Skunk,

I knew someone was bound to come up with a far more subtle...............and far less obvious name !! I think we should start a petition as the popular choice.........although onelove may have something to say about it.
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 22, 2013, 10:11:52 PM
Oh Skunk, I nearly spilt my Chardonnay laughing at your post and maydays reply!!! Would love to put it to the vote but I guess that's up to onelove!!  ;D
Post by: Skunk on March 22, 2013, 11:54:25 PM
I have already had PMs re size XXL loincloths, ways to change turbans to loincloths or loincloths to turbans and everything in between. Watch this space for further developments.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 23, 2013, 07:43:33 AM
Yes laughing our end too Skunk! we await the name to be divulged very soon! and will definitely be visiting to sample a bhaji or 3  whatever it may be called  8) 8) 8)

J
Post by: onelove on March 23, 2013, 08:19:53 AM
We have nearly decided on a name. I don't have the shout to say lets put it to vote,  albeit, we are open to ideas fr a name from EK members, why not  ;)
Post by: Mayday1 on March 23, 2013, 08:34:54 AM
How about " The Korma Sutra ".........Cant wait to read the menu
Post by: pw on March 23, 2013, 09:05:40 AM
We have nearly decided on a name. I don't have the shout to say lets put it to vote,  albeit, we are open to ideas fr a name from EK members, why not  ;)

We will be poppadomming in to see you during our week commencing 13th April.........
Post by: Mags on March 23, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
Bazza: loved your new (?) Turkish word for "bingo wings" - made me chuckle. Will look forward to its appearance in my Turkish dictionaries  ;D
Post by: Brosley on March 24, 2013, 10:09:57 AM
Is this a Sponsored link? Seems as though this restaurant is getting a lot of free publicity although a lot of it seems to be negative to me. Does anyone actually know who owns the restaurant? (maybe the answer is already available but I couldn't be bothered to read it all), I hope any person/s involved with the restaurant that are not Turkish are prepared to get their fingers burnt. Wouldn't it be nice to hear from the owner, or have we.
Anyway Kalkan will soon be like Marmaris and that will make a minority very happy I'm sure.
Post by: misty on March 24, 2013, 10:44:39 AM
You can see it now...people rolling out the late night bars...urinating and vomiting in the street...then off for an Indian...just like home  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: samson on March 24, 2013, 10:56:13 AM
 ;D thought the type who end up drunk and vomiting in the street usually went for a donna kebab after!! dont see many kebab shops in kalkan ! lol ???
Post by: joycie on March 24, 2013, 12:02:50 PM
Goodness me aren't there some sanctimonious people about. When I visited the last Indian restaurant in Kalkan it was never in my thoughts to turn Kalkan into Marmaris. It was a lovely dining experience amongst all the other wonderful dining experiences in Kalkan.
Post by: samson on March 24, 2013, 03:37:52 PM
quite right :)
Post by: onelove on March 24, 2013, 04:59:30 PM
You can see it now...people rolling out the late night bars...urinating and vomiting in the street...then off for an Indian...just like home  >:D >:D >:D
j

;) >:D ;)
Post by: pw on March 24, 2013, 05:04:50 PM
Onelove, will it be open by 13th April?

PW
Post by: misty on March 24, 2013, 05:08:49 PM
Also any news on the go kart track....any sign of building work starting ???
Post by: bazza1970 on March 24, 2013, 05:23:20 PM
I believe that the go kart track will be situated between the Cash for Gold shop and Lucky 7 bingo hall just across the road from the Commnity Centre for Little Englanders which is right next door to Pound World and Oxfam.
Post by: pw on March 24, 2013, 05:25:55 PM
and you wonder why we're "hacked" off with journalists......
Post by: bazza1970 on March 24, 2013, 05:28:01 PM
Completèly way off the mark. I'm not that type of journalist. I write advice columns helping people resolve various problems. I am not a hack. but then again, you know nothing about me.
Post by: Mayday1 on March 24, 2013, 05:48:18 PM
It looks like i will be dodging the drunks,vomiters,drug addicts,thugs in May as i walk through Kalkan,if we are to believe some contributors on here........Its never going to happen !! ,so wake up and smell the coffee,you lot.

If i make it there alive,we'll come to Korma Sutra ( my temporary name,until the real one is confirmed ) in May.
Post by: onelove on March 24, 2013, 05:54:26 PM

PW

We really hope so.
Post by: pw on March 24, 2013, 06:49:54 PM
Completèly way off the mark. I'm not that type of journalist. I write advice columns helping people resolve various problems. I am not a hack. but then again, you know nothing about me.

No I don't, but I know who you are and if I could be bothered I could find out all about you.......
Post by: pw on March 24, 2013, 06:58:13 PM

PW

We really hope so.

I hope so too....
Post by: bazza1970 on March 24, 2013, 07:38:31 PM
And I you, but as you say, I just cannot be bothered.
Post by: pw on March 24, 2013, 07:43:19 PM
And I you, but as you say, I just cannot be bothered.

I'm sure Barry, you will have far more resources at your disposal than I do....
Post by: Helshe on March 24, 2013, 08:38:38 PM
This all seems to be getting rather personal and unpleasant!
I don't think restaurants can be blamed for 'lowering the tone' of a place, rather the people that visit/live in a place and the way in which they behave.  :-\ ???
Post by: Bob & Jayne on March 24, 2013, 08:47:47 PM
I agree this is all getting out of hand and stupid and also very boring, we all have as am sure you will agree "One Love" and that is Kalkan in our hearts, so please can we stop this and wish the new Indian Restaurant the same success as all the other restaurants in Kalkan.

Jayne
Post by: Skunk on March 24, 2013, 08:53:42 PM
Well said Jayne.  My opinion entirely.  >:D >:D >:D 8)
Post by: onelove on March 25, 2013, 06:13:36 AM
Agree Jayne / Skunk & Helshe, no need for all this sillyness  ??? ??? ???
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on March 25, 2013, 12:23:17 PM
Think its time to lock this post now.Hopefully everyone has had chance to have their say.

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal