Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: More Burglaries  (Read 12929 times)

Offline soprano

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
More Burglaries
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »
There were at least 4 burglaries in Kiziltas last night and I understand that there were 2 the previous night.  Two of them were in my development, where there were people in residence.  They went into bedrooms where people were sleeping to steal money and phones.  They got into a bedroom in my house but I heard a street dog barking and shouted to it to shut up.  I believe this frightened them off and we lost nothing.  However, there were 2 street dogs in the grounds, which I would have thought would have protected us.  These burglers are very bold indeed.

I am of the opinion that we should report all burglaries to this site as they happen, to keep us vigilant.    I think that is more important than protecting Kalkan's reputation and we tend to drop our guard if we are not constantly reminded of the dangers.  I also have to say that I know far more people here that have been burgled than I ever knew in England.  So people who say it is still a comparatively rare occurrence in Kalkan are kidding themselves.

I also believe, and have been told by tourists who have been burgled , that after such a nasty experience, they will not be back and who can blame them.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9889.0

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: More Burglaries
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »
Last night approx 12 ish, I was sitting on our balcony in kiziltas, watching the fireworks down at the harbour. A young lad on a moped was sitting on a bench watching them too. He was then joined by another lad and they stayed there long after the fireworks finished. I was on my iPad and became worried that they were waiting for me to go to bed before trying to enter our villa and possibly rob us! I sat out until they eventually went. Now these young lads could have been totally innocent but I could not know that for sure. About an hour ago, again I was on the balcony and I saw 2 jandarma vans pass our villa and drive further along our road.
We as a family have become a lot more security conscious and have made sure that since we arrived, we lock all doors and windows even when we are in, and lock our bedroom doors too. I don't know if this will be enough, but it's all we can do and we feel so desperately sorry for the people affected by these crimes.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »
It's getting quite scary that there seem to be so many burglaries in such a small town.  As DianeK says, it sounds a lot more common over there than here. Maybe it's because it's a small town and people know each other.  I too feel very sorry for those who have lost precious things.  What a nightmare.  I will be very vigilant when we are over there. S :o :o :o

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »

Maybe part of this problem is that the Jandarma here are mainly conscripts and do not seem to stay that long so never build up any local knowledge of Kalkan or its inhabitants

I am sure in places where there is a regular full time police force they get to know lots of the people in the village and can spot Turkish "newcomers"

These burglars have to get here and local people must not recognise them as locals - can't they be involved somehow to
alert the Jandarma - a bit like a Neighbourhood Watch scheme - preferably before the crimes occur

Offline Bexscho

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
We will be in kalkan in 5 weeks staying near kalamar road..very worrying  :o

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »
This is really horrid news. To be operating in this way they obviously feel the risks of being caught are minimal! I do agree that these incidents should be reported on here to ensure vigilance by all.
Isis

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
We have just updated our information for guests regarding potential thefts and have been totally honest about the situation.  We have advised them to keep all doors and windows locked (inlcluding bedroom doors) when going to bed and to keep their valuables with them.  Also to keep the outside gate locked at all times.  We felt that honesty was the best policy and without wanting to alarm them just to say that it's better to be safe than sorry and have something spoil their holiday.  We will also be fitting an alarm and will put up a notice in Turkish to say it is connected to the Jandarma ;)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
"Jandarma call public meetings following burglaries" - On KTLN News Page.
B

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
We will also be fitting an alarm and will put up a notice in Turkish to say it is connected to the Jandarma ;)

Sounds like a good idea - Who's doing your alarm?  How much are you paying for it?  PM me if you would prefer.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Lets hope it leads to something positive.

Isis

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
I actually feel sorry for any burgular who interrupts my sleep on my long awaited holiday  :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Still a bit scary but thanks for putting it in perspective dancing ninja  ;D :D  :o

Offline Islands

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
Dancing Ninja
 I think if you were unfortunate enough to have these burglars come into your bedroom you would not be so flippant about it.  These break ins  have  affected some people really badly and made them very uneasy about being in Kalkan.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
Happened to me...not in Kalkan though....I was awake when they came into our bedroom..with my two children asleep in their rooms.....

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »
In the information package we give to renters there is a section on security. We suggest that they 1) not tell anyone their movements or plan such as 'tomorrow we're going to Patara' or 'Wednesday we're going out on a boat', etc.; 2) not to mention the name or location of where they are staying; 3) to lock accessible windows; 4) to lock bedroom doors; 5) to hide valuables in a locked area; 6) not to open the door for would-be repairmen unless the owner or property manager has told them to expect someone; 7) not to allow anyone to help them at any ATM machine; 8 ) to ask the property owner what is their villa number in the Jandarma's database; 9) to notice anyone loitering aimlessly near the property. 

We reassure them that while there are break-ins, there has never been an incidence of personal violence.  Frightening, yes.  Sad, yes. Dangerous, no.  We have not had anyone become alarmed by this information as everyone knows that tourist areas have thieves.

Do people not return?  They do return even knowing there are break-ins.  We have been burglarized 3 times in Spain, we still go every winter.  Barcelona has been named 'thief capital of the world'.  There is even a video online depicting 3 Romanian pickpockets showing off their skills of which they are very proud.  1 second to pick and pass a wallet.  Do tourists still go to Barcelona?  They flood there!

And on the Spanish coasts there have been many incidents of violent break-ins and shootings, even senseless shortings for no reason.  Now there are burglars on the roads forcing people to stop their car and demanding cash.  This happened a few weeks ago to one of our renters in Marbella.  The Spanish costas are far more dangerous than here in Turkey. 

We in Kalkan hear about many of the break-ins because it is a small place, people know a lot of other people here and we have this forum to announce it.  Calculate your odds of being a victim.  Ownersdirect lists 585 properties for rent in Kalkan.  How many are burgled over a 2-week period, the average length of a visitor's stay ? 

Re alarm systems, ours was installed by a company in Istanbul and is linked to them by telephone.  But even those cheap window alarms sold in the market are great because they ring very loudly, enough to alert someone that a window has been opened.

Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Nicky Adams

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
As the victim of a burglary a few weeks back, I am not sure the Jandarma are doing all they should.  If there was a similar spate of burglaries in England the Police would be doing more.  When we called the Jandarma, they took 2 hours to arrive!!!!  Even then we still had to go down to the station that afternoon to file a report.  Also we are currently unable to make an insurance claim (which incidentalyy will not cover all that we lost) as we are still awaiting a crime reference number from the Jandarma.  Frankly I rather got the impression they were just going through the motions.....perhaps they will feel differently when their own children have had their laptops stolen from their beds as they sleep......our holiday was violated by these thieves and I want something done about it....

Also at our villa, there was no telephone (although the owners direct website said there was one) and NO emergency telephone numbers to call and our mobiles were stolen!!  We were lucky(!) that a kind neighbour who spoke Turkish helped us out otherwise I dont know how we would have coped. Villa owners have a moral duty to ensure tenants have all the necessary emergency numbers.

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Islands
    I think you have taken my remarks the wrong way , I do understand how upsetting and frightening an experience of being burgled can be and I do hope they catch these people so that everyone can enjoy kalkan .

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
As the victim of a burglary a few weeks back, I am not sure the Jandarma are doing all they should.  If there was a similar spate of burglaries in England the Police would be doing more.  When we called the Jandarma, they took 2 hours to arrive!!!!  Even then we still had to go down to the station that afternoon to file a report.  Also we are currently unable to make an insurance claim (which incidentalyy will not cover all that we lost) as we are still awaiting a crime reference number from the Jandarma.  Frankly I rather got the impression they were just going through the motions.....perhaps they will feel differently when their own children have had their laptops stolen from their beds as they sleep......our holiday was violated by these thieves and I want something done about it....

Also at our villa, there was no telephone (although the owners direct website said there was one) and NO emergency telephone numbers to call and our mobiles were stolen!!  We were lucky(!) that a kind neighbour who spoke Turkish helped us out otherwise I dont know how we would have coped. Villa owners have a moral duty to ensure tenants have all the necessary emergency numbers.

I feel sure that most villa owners do take their responsibilties to their guests seriously, sadly whatever we do we could always be accused of doing more when problems occur. At our villa we have placed so many security measures in place it would take too much room to list (and I wouldn't want to advertise these to the 'wrong' people anyway), there is a mobile with emergency numbers programmed in and lots of advice in the information pack, however regardless of our efforts to ensure the safety of guests it is only effective if they actually take notice and use the facilities provided.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Nicky Adams

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Dear Headroom

I am sorry that you have misinterpreted my comments.  Obviously you ARE an extremely responsible villa-owner.  You must understand though, how frightening it is, to be broken into in the middle of the night.....to have all your valuebles taken (including mobiles) when there is NO phone provided in the villa (although stated there was one) and NO details for emergency numbers.  I felt VERY vunerbale and scared.

My point was to raise awreness of the problem to ensure that all villa owners follow your lead and make sure there are security measures in force.  This was NOT the case with the villa we rented. rant over!

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
Headroom you wrote "...there is a mobile with emergency numbers programmed in ..."

How do you secure that? If these people are taking all the portable goods when they break in, what is to stop them taking that too?
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Burglaries

Started by alantj on General Discussion

84 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 09:47:10 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Stanley on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 08:07:31 PM
by GARDENIA PAT
xx
Burglaries

Started by Mags on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 05:06:23 PM
by Mags
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:26:37 PM
by Cosetta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Gulet

Views: 4642
By: jofoss
The real Green Lake