Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: More Burglaries  (Read 12926 times)

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: More Burglaries
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Dear Headroom

I am sorry that you have misinterpreted my comments.  Obviously you ARE an extremely responsible villa-owner.  You must understand though, how frightening it is, to be broken into in the middle of the night.....to have all your valuebles taken (including mobiles) when there is NO phone provided in the villa (although stated there was one) and NO details for emergency numbers.  I felt VERY vunerbale and scared.

My point was to raise awreness of the problem to ensure that all villa owners follow your lead and make sure there are security measures in force.  This was NOT the case with the villa we rented. rant over!

Sorry, my comment was not meant to be a criticism of yourself or anyone else for that matter, I apologise if it appeared that way, you have my heartfelt sympathy. It would be anyone's worst nightmare to have intruders whilst in bed, I am a retired policeman and dealt with many burglars, night time burglaries were an unusual occurrence in my experience, so to have burglars who are bold enough to enter whilst there are people actually on the premises is quite worrying. It is very sad that you have lost jewellery which is just not valuable in a monetary sense it is invaluable sentimentally.
Headroom you wrote "...there is a mobile with emergency numbers programmed in ..."

How do you secure that? If these people are taking all the portable goods when they break in, what is to stop them taking that too?
I would hope that the guests take the phone with them into the bedroom, keep it within easy reach, I understand what you mean, . . . . why would the burglar not steal the phone, . . . it is not a fancy smart phone it is a simple Nokia I dare say any self respecting burglar would look at it with disdain, but? who knows, I cannot come up with a solution to that one.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
I have tried providing a local phone and ended up losing two of them.  Now we provide a large notebook with 9 pages of information including all kinds of emergency numbers.  We tell people to keep their phones near them at all times.  Of course, this doesn't guarantee anything but so far so good, no problems.

We hope all owners reading this thread and who are present in Kalkan will be going this afternoon at 3pm to the Jandarm to hear from and talk with the head Jandarm officer stationed in Kas.  It is our duty as owners, and that of property managers as well, to support the Jandarma's efforts to do their job and to collaborate with them. 
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Nicky Adams

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
In our case, the burglars stole all our phones from our bedside tables which is why I am advocating that villa owners should put in a landline also.

As mentioned in an earlier post, most of the villas have PVC windows, the locks on which are pretty insubstantial. Perhaps owners should be advised to reinforce the locks that are provided as standard.  It is not a pleasant feeling to have to lock oneself in your bedroom at night and impractical too, if you have young children.

As a separate point - I understand the Jandarma not the police force enforce order in Kalkan as residents total less than 5000 - however the population swells in summer months and perhaps the Jandarma need to request help from the police force?
Yes....these are problems the world over but  four burglaries in one night and we were burgled the week before - that would make news even in the UK!

I feel outraged, both as a victim but equally for the villa-owners who wish to rent their properties and locals who rely on tourism for their income......the Jandarma need to step up to the mark. Kalkan is a great holiday destination and does not deserve to receive negative publicity.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

In our case, the burglars stole all our phones from our bedside tables which is why I am advocating that villa owners should put in a landline also.
   It would be good if we could install a landline, but the crazy bureaucracy of Turkey dictates that we can buy a house but without a residency permit we cannot have a telephone line in our own names (which incidentally means we can't get ADSL for the internet, we have to make do with a dongle). Getting the R.P. is something we would like to do but it is a two day operation over two separate weeks and a six hour round road trip to get it so is difficult to do in a two week holiday. But yes, a landline would be useful, (providing the telephone lines cannot be cut).

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
Headroom if you have a Turkish friend who would be happy to put it in their name it can be installed in your villa.  Perhaps your maintenance company could help?  As far as I know this is the only way round it and that's what we've had to do for phone line and internet access.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »
Hum ???  A colleague, who lives in Kalkan, attended the meeting yesterday regarding the problems that have arisen.  Basically, no feasible outcome, one has to sort out one's own prevention against future crime ??? ??? ??? Would have been nice if a representative of the Belediye had bothered to turn up >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
I was at that meeting and I fail to see the difference between police intervention when a burglary or theft is reported here or anywhere else in the world.  The police or Jandarma ALWAYS, EVERYWHERE arrive after the fact almost never while the crime is ongoing.  If you want them to be there to always prevent a crime, then you need to hire a personal bodyguard.

What is shameful is that the Belediye sent no representative -- perhaps they do not see this as their problem, thus have no interest ?  Does the local government think this matter does not affect Kalkan's reputation and future ? 

Second, we learned that even though many burglars have been caught, they have been let go for lack of evidence.  By evidence, it seems that the judges in Kas and elsewhere want a mug shot, i.e., their face on a security camera.  Short of that they are either given light sentences or let go if there is no concrete proof they broke into a home and stole something.

Which brings us to the role of the Belediye.  We learned that Kalkan is the ONLY coastal, tourist town around without CCTV cameras and system.  The Chief of the Jandarma in Kas told us that he had appealed to Ankara for funds to install such a system but met with no success. 

We, as residents, owners and regular visitors can be useful.  We are planning to write a formal letter in Turkish and send it to the government in Antalya to request funds and support in obtaining CCTV in Kalkan.  We will ask as many people as possible to send a copy or their own letter urging the government to allocate funds for a CCTV system in Kalkan.

It is not a total answer.  It does not relieve people of the responsibility of collaborating in the prevention of break-ins by installing some kind of alarm system and registering their villa or apartment number in the Jandarma's database.  Window and door alarms cost as little as 1 lira and make quite a noise if set off.  As was pointed out, people seem willing to spend 100,000 - 600,000 GBP on a house, but not 2,000 on a good alarm system. 

If you think about it, police around the world do not really stop crimes, they most often arrive after the crime has been committed and the criminal has gone.  In the case of break-in and theft, the average time a thief spends in a home is 5 - 7 minutes.  They head straight for the bedrooms and living room.  Even if the police or Jandarma could fly, they would not get there before the thief has left !

Crime prevention must be a collaborative effort, not a reliance on local Jandarma or police.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
I would agree that it is shamful that no one from the belediye turned up as this is an issue that ultimatly effects everyone. Would it be at all possible or would someone be prepared to draft a letter/petititon that we could all sign. Anything we can do we should, to make it harder for theives to operate.

We agree that it  has to be a collabrative effort and we accept that there is a responsibilty on owners do as much as they can to keep guests safe,  and we like other owners installed an alarm system, dead bolts on doors etc, offer advice, supply contact numbers but as Cosseta says there is only so much we can do.

However I do think the Jandarma could do more, yes they have limited resources but perhaps random road check in the early hours could be a good idea as there is only two/three main routes out of the town. So if these crimes are commited by outsiders I cant image they would want to hang around and  I would of thought this could be more effective than just driving around the centre of the town. Also, they can improve on how victims are treated with regard to issuing crime numbers.  It must upsetting enough for anyone to have this happen to them, without then having additional problems and worries about being able to claim on their insurance

Isis

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
What I have always found amazing is how Jandarma always advertise to all and sundry where they are by driving around with their roof lights flashing out like beacons, in a town built on a hillside they can be seen from miles away!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »
Regarding random road checks, we were told that the Jandarma or traffic police can only check the ownership of the car and verify the driver's license, but they cannot search the car without a warrant or a special dispensation.  So even if a Jandarma or police saw a lot of computers, cell phones, etc., he would be very suspicious but would not be able to do much about it if the driver said they belonged to him.  How to take him into custody or prove they were stolen unless the serial numbers match those reported as stolen ?

Roadblocks would need Jandarma posted at the two main entrances to Kalkan (which would leave all the areas above the highway unprotected).  With only 6 people to cover all of Kalkan and Kalamar, that means 4 would be at the roadblocks leading into town with only 2 left to patrol.  They would have to stop every car going by between 3:30 and 6:00am - and there are quite a few of them. It wouldn't be long before the thieves figured out that they should stay around until 7 or 8 am.  After all, who would know them anyway?

Since cell phones are invariably stolen, it is useful for owners to record their phone's unique IMEI number and write it down somewhere. Every cell phone sold worldwide has an IMEI number. In Turkey this number is registered in a national registry.  The purpose is specifically to trace stolen phones.  To see your number, press *#06#.  Usually you can also see it on the phone under the battery.

There are plenty of phones (Android, Iphone, Blackberry) that are sold equipped with mobile tracking software that would let you track your phone instantly. Tracking your phone can mean locating the thief.   I know of someone who was caught in this manner.  This software exists for computers too.  Of course, the phone or computer has to be turned on and linked to a GPS system.  Sooner or later thieves do turn the phones on and their IMEI is broadcast. 

Many of these phones are not particularly expensive.  I compared the prices of SIM-free phones on amazon.co.uk and here in Turkey on hepsiburada.com.  Although more expensive here, by the time a phone is bought in the UK, registered here in Fethiye (petrol to round trip to Fethiye + TL 120 to register the phone + a lot of time and hassle), it came to the same amount.

As for a letter, it is being written but it will be better for individuals to send copies.  One letter signed by many does not carry the same weight.  If we need to badger the authorities into helping us, one letter doesn't constitute an annoyance nearly as much as 100 ! >:D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »

Cosetta will this letter be available on here or KTLN to print and send ??

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »
When ready it will be posted on KTLN, also here if Jon wishes.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
What I have always found amazing is how Jandarma always advertise to all and sundry where they are by driving around with their roof lights flashing out like beacons, in a town built on a hillside they can be seen from miles away!

This was mentioned on KTLN a few days ago. TC came back with ......"Then again you won't notice the undercover patrols on foot, and in unmarked cars!".

Personally, I think that the idea of late night and early morning checks on the three exits from the village, is the only real way to catch the people who are shifting the stolen goods. Then it is to be hoped that the Jandarma could get leads back to the people who are committing the burglaries. Well, this one has been answered by Cosetta while I was typing. That thinking cap is getting awfully tight!

Something that has not been mentioned so far is marking your goods with a clear permanent marker that shows up under ultra-violet light. I just use my UK postcode and house number, it is unlikely that anyone in Turkey would have a duplicate for any reason.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:16:36 PM by BubblesG »
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
As someone who is due to travel to Kalkan for the first time as a solo traveller (not first time to Kalkan, just first time alone) this news is a bit worrisome. The idea of being in a villa alone while it is being ransacked is not a pleasant one. There has been an attempt to play things down by highlighting the fact that overall the crime rate in Kalkan is low, but I have to say this sort of organised, concerted burglary is not being mentioned on other forums connected to Turkish resorts of a similar size to Kalkan so I can only assume that Kalkan is being specifically targeted by certain gangs and that the reason they are so productive is that they do not feel under threat of penal action. Why would they desist or move elsewhere if they can just take what they like without consequence? It is a terrible shame because even here in my little corner of London I have no issue with leaving my patio doors open while I potter about in the house or even nip out to the shops whereas I fear that upon arrival in Kalkan I will be obsessively checking every door to ensure it is securely locked. I really wish that more was being done about this crime wave than appears to be the case.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »
I too attended the meeting and it was obvious thst we cannot expect any more patrols or roadchecks than we already have.They do not have the man power to increase these and there seemed no likelyhood of that changing.
There was no representative from the belideye,yet the main problem seems to be the lack of CCTV in and around Kalkan.This is a subject that has been brought up on many occasions and what has been done............Other towns have it,why cant we? The mayor should be searching for government and other funding to make up any shortfall they have.Is he?
So the meeting really just told us we must keep our eyes and ears open.Burglars will be looking around during the day,making plans! So look out for people and cars acting strangely. We  must be vigilant and also ensure our own properties have good security.The Jandarma have offered to send someone to look at peoples existing arrangements and give improvement advice.At the meeting they spoke of locks,personal cctv etc.
CCTV in Kalkan would mean eyes everwhere,it has been proved to keep burglars at bay in other areas and without it Kalkan is like an ATM machine....................
For anyone coming on holiday,dont let what you have been reading spoil your time here,its a wonderful place just take the normal precautions.There are 1000s of properties and people here that have had no problems at all but CCTV is a tool to make it safer for everyone......

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
There is now a report of the meeting on KTLN.

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »
The report on KTLN provides a good realistic assessment of the situation in Kalkan and is well worth a read. Whilst not the solution, CCTV installed at strategic points throughout Kalkan will help and any support residents/owners can provide to make this happen in Kalkan should be pursued. If not readily forthcoming via council/government funding what about owners funding it through a donation scheme administered via the Belediyse? This may give us some influence in getting them to take a more procative stance in other issues that are a cause for concern?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

I think people are missing the point with a town wide CCTV system...the cost...you will need a central control station which would need to be manned 24/7. This might require three teams of two operators, working shifts manning the center, with communication links to the police etc. Already you can see the costs mounting the installation, hardware and labour costs alone will significant. Then you may also have the issues of people complaining of intrusion via the cameras.. :( :(   

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
Misty. Whilst you have raised a valid point re cost, lets try to at least explore the option and quantify cost before killing an idea before it has started. There are a significant number of owners in kalkan who have invested heavily in property. I am sure a significant number would be willing to contribute towards kalkan wide cctv. Clearly government funding is the optimum but failing that lets at least explore private funding.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 01:42:49 PM »
According to the Jandarma officer at the meeting he had already asked Ankara for funds for this project and had no satisfaction. It would theerfore seem to suggest that such a scheme has already been costed - so why guess there must be costed figures for such a project  available

Apparantly he had also asked the Belediye in Kalkan for a contribution but they said no - as if it was nothing at all to do with them - which seems to be also borne out by their lack of any representation at the meeting

Perhaps it's time for local residents, both Turkish and foreigners,  to go en-masse  to the next Belediye meeting to ask their views on the situation

I suggested last year that there is an additional local addition to the annual propery tax, on a maybe one-off basis to fund such a CCTV scheme,  the cost of which would fall on every property owner but also benefit every owner proportionately

Again it seems with the Belediye, not un- like the KAPSA situation with the stray dogs scenario,  if someone else .i.e. private individuals put up the money they can forget about it as someone else is doing it

I am sure that there was some sort of private funding asked for a couple of years ago which some people gave to for CCTV [ perhaps someone can confirm this ] and nothing happened and the money evaporated somewhere

Finally if the thieves read [or were told] of the true and comprehensive report of the meeting now on the KTLN website they must think it is wonderful news, highlighting  the lack of a real Jandarma prescence, no roadblocks , no CCTV deterent coming anythime soon and the need for private CCTV proof of actual thefts - it is like telling the opposing football team all your own shortfalls and strategy

Maybe the Jandarma meeting today with property management companies hopefully getting their own people involved in spotting strangers in the village , strange cars parked etc will help the situation  as most of them know most people living here and strangers should be easy to spot

Lets all hope so
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:48:13 PM by kevincat99 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Burglaries

Started by Mags on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 05:06:23 PM
by Mags
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:26:37 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Burglaries

Started by anne41 on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 01:58:51 PM
by TalkTalk
xx
Burglaries

Started by alantj on General Discussion

84 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 09:47:10 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal