Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi ho hi ho, off to Kalkan we go........  (Read 30341 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Hi ho hi ho, off to Kalkan we go........
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
Well, we've had a lovely relaxing couple of days. OH is up to his accident prone tricks again. He was carrying two shopping bags full of beer and wine across migros car park when he did a fantastic skid, worthy of an Olympic long jumper but managed to keep all bottles intact thank goodness!! Today he managed to trap his fingers in a taxi window as the driver automatically wound his window up, the poor taxi driver was mortified but we were in stitches. His earache is getting better though which is good, he just can't bend his fingers now  ;D
The other night after the boat trip on yildiz, we were too tired to go out, so we stayed in and watched a DVD called, 'the grey'. It was a really good film about a bloke in the icy wilderness who survives a plane crash and has to constantly fight a pack of stalking wolves as he struggles to survive. We had to turn the AC off as we were all shivering, watching the snow fall constantly throughout the film. The wolves were menacing, howling snarling and barking. I went out onto the patio ( to warm up ) and a blummin pack of street dogs ( about 4 of them ) who hang out around our villa, suddenly all shot out at me from under our sun loungers and the ottoman and started barking like crazy at another dog further down the road. Hell fire, was I scared. I let out a string of expletives, shrieked like a banshee and nearly fell through the glass door in my haste to get inside!!! Now let me tell you that these dogs are absolutely delightful at any other time. They welcome us home when we've been out with wags so big that their whole bodies move and one sleeps on our doormat every night to protect us, but after watching that film, they seemed like the hounds from hell!!!
Yesterday was spent lazing around the pool and we ventured down to parc for dinner and Aklan last night. We picked a table slightly away from him as I didn't want him to think I was a stalker but I peeped at him through the shrubbery, which probably looked worse than we were actually in the audience!!! All knickers were intact I'm pleased to let you know. He was on fine form and as far as I'm aware I managed not to embarrass myself.
This morning we went into town for brunch and ate at chillies. I had a yummy plate of Menemen, it was delicious and everyone else had full englishes. All came highly recommended. Tummies full, we sorted out some car hire, so from tomorrow we are mobile and probably dangerous, so watch out Kalkan and surrounding areas, here we come!!!!  :o 8) ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
My goodness that must have given you a fright after watching that film!  :o :o :o Glad to hear OHs ear is getting better but shame about the fingers.  ::) ??? ::) Well the suitcases are coming out as we speak and all the finance has been arranged. This time next week we will be about to see THAT view as we come round the corner on the D400!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just can't wait now.  Even stopped buying food to empty the fridge in time and starting to get the clothes cleaned and ironed.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Ha ha loving your reports.......Us men have inbuilt sensors that enable us to skid...trip over and fall off bar stools without spilling a drop :P

if the dogs frightened you.. best you don't watch "Attack of the killer tomatoes" on market day ;D

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Certainly dont watch Jaws!!!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
Ha ha, not sure which film is on the agenda for tonight,  I'll try and think of something relevant. Maybe the grizzwalds annual vacation, only you cant compare Kalkan to wally world!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
Another great report Lizilu!! ;D ;D
We'd looked at the trailer for The Grey on Bt vision and said it looked good, we should be safe watching it in Holmfirth, there are no packs of dogs and our own dog will be curled up on sofa , snoring and passing wind whilst we watch it!!!
I'll keep an eye out on Ktln for any reports on tourists causing havoc with a hire car!!
I love getting the suitcases out Skunk as you know the holiday is fast approaching :) :) :) Afew more weeks yet for us before our week in Fethiye.
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
another fabulous report, Lizilu...feel as though I'm there with you enjoying every minute ;D ;D
Glad you enjoyed Yildiz 3 - Adem is adorable (our girls second favourite boat man after Hakan from Chillout - who is forever known as "Sexy Boat Man" ::)) I think the food on both the Yildiz boats is probably the best I've had of any of the boat trips, I don't believe that anyone has posted on here that they didn't enjoy their day out with Osman or Adem or that it wasn't value for money - is that a first? I'm sure I've just tempted fate there.....
I'm so envious of all of you out in Kalkan now or have an imminent arrival - really struggling with our second break in Kalkan this year as we are out of synch with big work events that can't be avoided. Plus the Golden Jubilee thing has put a spanner in the works as we're going "somewhere hot" in November...not Kalkan then :( :( If I sound a bit high maintenance...its because I am ;) :angel:
Ah well, I can pretend I'm there reading these great blogs and vicariously have my September break. Enjoy, you lucky people.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:35 PM »
My Mrs is high Maintenance.....i've got her a job changing bulbs in street lights ;D >:D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
I know the feeling BL.
I ended up getting mine a new bag for her birthday.
Well, they don't last long in the hoover do they?  ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
Naughty boys!! We may be high maintenance but by God we're worth it!! Loving everyones comments, thanks guys. Nicky, your dog sounds just like our Charlie, we're missing him so much and not long to go now skunk. Amber, I am definitely not going to watch jaws as I'm obviously too impressionable!! K4E, you're right about the food on yildiz, it really is excellent, the cheese boreks were the very best ive ever had in my life and the cauliflower!!!!!
We've had another great couple of days. We ate at mussaka on Monday night and it was as delicious as ever. We absolutely love the creamy chicken livers to start, I have even be known to use my desert spoon to mop up the sauce (can't take me anywhere). We enthused about it to GK and suggested to get 2 as they are so good. GK insisted on just getting 1 as 'he only wanted a taste', well you can guess what happened, me and GK were fighting over it. I was feigning politeness but really wanted to rip it out of his hands, then GB who hates meat other than chicken, ate the blummin sauce!! Ah well, we will just have to go again!
Yesterday was our first day of wheels! First time ever we have hired a car in  Kalkan, it arrived about. 10.30 am and we were packed and ready to go off on our adventures. The car is a seven seater, just like some of the taxis in town, a Dacia Logan from brave tours. We shopped around and got a great deal from brave tours, £35 per day for 4 days and a free bottle of wine to boot. First stop kaputas beach. Wow!!!!! We ve been coming to Kalkan (kas once) a couple of times a year since 2009 but never yet been as we usually just flop around the pool. Now we know what we have missed. Oh it was breath takingly beautiful. Poor OH, GK managed to trap OH's arm in the car door, another mishap for him, it swelled and bruised immediately, GK' s excuse-"bloody hell SHaun, that car was a bit close", OH's reply, 'bugger the car Dad, what about me'. 'aye lad but it's a rented car, dont want any damage to it'!! So funny!!
We continued on to kas, OH in pain and me in stitches! What a beautiful drive it is, gorgeous scenery and windy bends which reminded GK and GB of the amalfi coastline. We had a lovely lunch in kas and called into the pharmacy and bought some antibiotics for OH as his ear infection has now turned into a sinus infection. Poor bloke, he's rallying though with medicinal efes as required (not while driving though, I hasten to add, it's cherry juice all the way when behind the wheel).
We managed to get home without any further scrapes and spent the afternoon relaxing by the pool. We went to agora for our evening meal and I have say that it was wonderful. I had a tuna steak on a bed of wilted creamy spinach, OH had sea bass on a bed of chick pea and feta. The service was exceptional and the food divine, definitely a new favourite of ours. We should have been eating at akin, but they let our table go by mistake and we still hadn't eaten by 10pm so we called it a day. They were very apologetic and did not charge us for our drinks but our girls could not wait ant longer, our youngest is only eleven so it was too late for her really. One day we will make it to akin!!
Today we have been off on our adventures again and I'll report back tomorrow with the details. Take care all and thanks for reading my posts.  :) ;D :)  O0

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »
Thanks Lizilu, another entertaining post! Ouch, OH's arm sounded sore. We have been going to Kalkan for so many years it's embarrassing and we still haven't been to Kaputas - not properly anyway. We have only stopped whilst on Yildiz and I think it must look different from the beach so one day we will have to make the effort, we even always have a hire car too so definitely have no excuse. Enjoy the rest of your hol.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
Sounds a great day out to Kaputas and Kas.  :laugh: Very interested to hear about Agora as we have decided to go there our first night.  Oh dear your poor OH seems to be having a tough time with sinus trouble, injured fingers and hands, cherry juice and all! :o :( The Mussaka chicken livers sound nice, we didn't try there last year as we were on a budget and thought it was quite expensive.  Knowing my appetite though a starter might do on it's own!! As you say not long to go now, but Jayne goes the day after tomorrow, so even sooner.   8) 8) 8)Hope you have a few more great days out and hope to hear about them soon!!  :) ;) :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
Hi Skunk,

Agora is fab.We had heard it was good and decided to initially go for lunch.Omlettes with a lovely salad and an amazing fresh orange juice.We had heard that Agora was top of the trip advisor listings for Kalkan restaurants,despite it only being open from April/May this year.

We had to return for an evening meal there and were offered an excellently positioned table with a great view.The service was fantastic from start to finish and the food really didn't disappoint.We both had steak Dianne which was perfect...............Enjoy !!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
Hi Lizilu, another excellent post! I have to own up and say we've also never properly visited Kapatas beach, only when Yildiz moored up near it and i wasn't brave enough to swim across to it!! It is a beautiful drive isn't it to Kas, we've only done it on the transfer bus to get the boat for our Kekova trip and to be honest our driver was going that fast we didn't really have chance to see that much of the view!!
Hope you've had a good day today, look forward to reading tomorrows installment!!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Thanks for that Mayday1 - it does look lovely :).  I am going to rush down there (well crawl probably in that heat 8) 8)) as soon as we arrive, and book a table.  I will try and get one on the edge if we can but don't know how booked it will be.  I see that Hunkar Ocakbasi is now number one on trip advisor!!  ::) :o ??? Amazing how it has beaten all those harbour and terrace restaurants ;D ;D ;D but could be something to do with the price!   >:D >:D >:D

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Agora is brilliant was one of our faves this year and can't wait to go back in August they deserve all the praise they are getting as the food and service is great and if u go DO try the Apricot pie (as they call it) although it is more like a very light sticky toffee pud and is gorgeous.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
We just love Kaputas beach, but this time of year its not for the faint-hearted... ;) I think it will become more populated once the new additions are added. Even if you don't have a car its very easy and cheap to get to by bus. A nice change from the beach in Kalkan
Hunkar is a real gem...don't expect a view, posh tables or anything fancy, but do expect good food, very reasonable prices and to come out of there feeling stuffed :)
Great reports Lizilu, your OH sounds like a walking accident magnet ;D ;D
Enjoy the rest of your stay, look forward to hearing about your latest escapades :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Yesterday dawned brightly and beautifully, the sky and the sea were as one, the horizon almost indistinguishable, ahhhh, I will never ever tire if that view of the bay. Off we set in the car, just me, OH and the girls and made our way up to islamar, passing the trout farms until we reached the summit of the mountain. It was a fantastic drive, we stopped off at a little mountain stream to stretch our legs and saw some wild tortoises in the shrubbery. Our youngest was a little scared as she doesn't like heights and it felt like the windy mountain road was never ending.
We turned around and headed down to cafe vita for lunch, going down was awesome and the views were spectacular.
Lunch at cafe vita was yummy and we posed for photos for mustafa for his website, he must be pretty desperate wanting our mugshots on there!!
Yesterday evening we ate at kaya again and had lots of magic tricks from kadir. They were so busy last week that he didn't get chance to perform and GB and GK have never experienced his talents yet. They were very impressed and we had a great night. Alper's new camera had just arrived so we posed for more photos. I wouldn't care but I never ever look glam in Kalkan, what with the hair, kankles and spotty skin from all the sweat and sun cream!!! By the way the kankles are coming on a treat. They look like 2 steak and kidney puds boiled in a white rag just like my grandma used to make!!
We awoke bright and early today to set off on our adventures again. Our youngest announced that from today, she is now a vegetarian, of which I have no problems, but it's going to be a bit restrictive for her as she only likes meat and McDonald's!!! We will see how long it lasts!  :)

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
Having been the biggest carnivore in the world, enjoying the Kalkan steaks, my daughter decided she was going to be a vegetarian 4 years ago. It actually wasn't as tricky as we thought and we decided to just go with the flow. It's really easy in Kalkan as there's loads to choose from. She lasted for 3 years and became a meat eater again in April. When we were in Kalkan 2 weeks ago she was back to normal!!!! I did insist on her eating fish by the way, which she agreed to reluctantly.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2012, 08:45:39 AM »
Another great day on the road yesterday, GB and GK preferring to revisit the market so we dropped them off and set off once again on our travels. The girls were getting quite fed up by this stage and both quite sulky. A morning on the road was slightly preferable to them, than a sweaty mooch perusing 'quality crap' so off we set.
Note to self, must change the CD in the car today as for 3 days now, we have been listening to Dolly and friends on a loop, me and OH can now do a word for word mean duet of 'islands in the stream' but there's only so much 'hello my friend, hello' from Neil I can stomach!!  ;D
I really wanted to do the kekova trip this week, but also wanted to make use of the car, so we decided to drive to kekova and Suss it out. I really love the coastal drive and we stopped high up at the top end of kas and took some fab photos and then chugged on to kekova. It was a straightforward (as in signposted) drive, but once off the D400 it was reminiscent of bendy, twisty country roads (take me home, to the place I beeelong) and it reminded us of the trough of bowland, which is a local beauty spot near our home in England. Goodness knows how the big coaches manage those bends.
We arrived at kekova, not knowing where to go or what to do but was greeted by a seemingly lovely Turkish chap who let us park next to his car, much squeezing in and manouvering, a bit like the chuckle brothers 'to me, to you', he then escorted us on foot around the corner to the harbour and proceeded to give us the hard sell re his boat, 3 boats, 1 big, 1 medium and 1 small, our youngest has terrible motion sickness and one look at the small dinghy turned her instantly green. The robbing git wanted 200 tl for the big one, 150 tl for the medium one and 90 tl for the bloody dinghy for 1 hr around the sunken city, we politely declined but he followed us to a cafe and continued to persuade us to part with our cash. We managed to shake him off and spotted a huge car park over the other side of the harbour, if only we had carried on around the corner!!! we had a lovely meal at the cafe and were watched over by a wizened old Turkish bloke who never took his eyes off us for a second. He even followed me to the toilet and waited for me outside, it was a bit unnerving!! When we had finished eating, he introduced himself as the other chaps father and was the boat captain none the less and why we no go on his lovely boat? We politely made our excuses and left, hoping that our tyres were still intact!!
We had a quick look around the harbour and were hassled again and again by other captains. I know they have to make a living but this was full on hard sell. We definitely want to do the boat trip to kekova next year, but we will definitely book an organised tour next year. To cap it all, I now have a lovely anklet of mozzie bites to adorn my kankles, I've had none up until yesterday so I blame kekova for that!
We lounged around the pool in the afternoon and ate out at gourmet terrace last night. It was spectacularly good. I had 'who let the chickens out' and it was delicious. Our youngest managed to be a vegetarian all day but couldn't resist the crispy duck so she has decided to leave it until we go home and then try again. Bless her, there's just too much good meat choices here.
Well we're off to patara today, so I'd better get a shimmy on.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
recycled
new to kalkan

Started by pippa on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 02:51:22 PM
by pippa
xx
Kalkan x7

Started by marmitegirl on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 09:17:24 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal