Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan newbies  (Read 4559 times)

Offline gailyt

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan newbies
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Hello everyone out there - I've been reading the great threads on this website and getting very excited at the prospect of our week in Kalkan at the beginning of July.  Any suggestions for things to do for a moderately active family - 16 year old son celebrating the end of GCSE's, 14 year old daughter both like watersports: kayaking/windsurfing/snorkelling, we like the idea of a boat trip, Yildaz? and a trip to the Saklikent gorge and Patara beach sound great, would really welcome any info on everything really from excursions/restaurants/beach clubs. 

We will be staying at the Asfiya retreat apartments which I hope are not too far from the main town - having been responsible for last year's disastrous holiday to an undiscovered area of Montenegro (ie full of Russians, rubbish strewn with bad overpriced food and very little charm) a lot hinges on this! Thank you!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9520.0

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan newbies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »
Welcome, they don't bite, well not many of them.
You've made a good choice in Kalkan, we were virgins until a couple of weeks ago but love it now. Defintely go on a boat trip, Yildiz will even supply the snorkels  to use in the crystal clear blue seas. Patara has a huge sandy beach, the water at Saklikent can be a bit freezing but I saw in the excursion brochures they do canoeing down the river and rafting so they'll enjoy that.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
If they like watersports the beach clubs are a good bet, Palm and Kalamar are particularly that way inclined (free boat ride to Palm from the harbour, dolmus along the Kalamar road (where you are staying) to Kalamar).  Also, there is a diving school on the right of the harbour which does PADI courses, either a taster day or an introductory session towards the full certificate - might be a bit of a challenge for them for a change.  Kekova is an underwater city that is reached by boat trip through any of the tour operators - combined boat trip and educational sites rolled into one! Mind you, Yildiz boats are great as well.  I suggest you book as soon as you get there or even before you go (www.yildizboat.com) as they get very booked up. There are several ancient sites in the Lycian Way if they are interested, such as Xanthos or Letoon.   If you can afford it, there is a speed boat from the diving school which will take you to Kaputas beach and the blue cave near there which is quite an interesting place - sometimes full of bats.  By the time you've done all that I should think a laze by the pool for a bit would be needed!  Haven't been to Montenegro but my sister in law has been both there and to Kalkan - just no comparison.  Don't worry you will all have a wonderful time.  The Asfiya is about a 10-15 minute flattish walk from the main town, harbour and beach.  If you look on the Kalkan Turkish Local News website there is a lot more info - or just put anything in this search engine.  Enjoy! SX

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Kalamar Beach club is about 15-20 mins from where you are staying, if you go by taxi the beach club pay (or at least they did in 2010 and 2011) and they run you home in their minibus. small entrance charge and free use of kayaks, there is a trampoline out at sea, there is also a PADI 5* diving club based there.
Boat trip we use Zeus its a small boat based in Kalkan harbour for upto 8 people and you can book it for the day to yourselves and choose what you want to do (along with Capt Ali ) fabulous lunch.
Restaurants ... too many to recommend, use the search facility on here.

remember
Kalkan, no one visits just once.... so you don't need to do everything this visit because you will be back! 8)
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »
Hope you enjoy your first visit, sure it won't be the last!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »
Don't worry, gailyt, you will have redeemed yourself with this year's choice ;). The apartments are only new and in a great location a nice flat walk into the centre of Kalkan. Kalamar Beach Club is probably your best bet as they have free pedalos and kayaks - as well as a sea trampoline :) The water sports activities are great for teenagers at all the beach clubs - ringos, big bertha etc, but they can make a serious dent in your holiday budget ::) Patara is a good day out - gorgeous (proper) beach, great waves and some amazing archeology thrown in and a market day somewhere is a "must do".
Don't try to cram in too much as you will miss out on that lovely chilled vibe that is Kalkan....I'm sure you will also want to relax by the pool - that's why ipods were invented :)
Have a great stay
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gailyt, can definitely recommend Yildiz for a boat trip. I'm sure you will fall in love with Kalkan and it's charm.
Nicky

Offline gailyt

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
Thank you all so much - budget wise can you advise how much a mid range evening meal for 4 with a bottle of wine would be and roughly how much the Yildaz boat trips are, I can't see us doing more than a couple of trips as although we like to think we're quite active we generally just end up lounging by the pool, eating and drinking, but hey that's holidays!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
Meal prices would depend on how many courses you were all having and other drinks on top of the wine.
Boat trips this year seem to be 50 TL due to the exchange rate.

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
hi. i can concur with all the comments above.
from where your family will be staying kalamar beach club is nearest. fab day can be spent there on the sun loungers drinking,and eating, and sunbathing. this is where the dive centre is and also where aqua sports operates from. the young man has little boats that you can take out and also the speed boats and the rings and the banana boat. all great fun but i must admit i prefer to watch the young people on the fast boat activities whilst holding my drink in one hand,book in the other from the comfort of my sunlounger.they do have free transport for you to take you home.

mobydick is another great boat and is 5o lira (about £18) each. you have so many boat to choose from if you just walk along the kalkan harbour.

Loads of wonderful places to eat what ever the time of day. depending on budget just remember that the prices are somewhat lower eating out up from the harbour, and food is still as wonderful. plenty of roof terrace restaurants everywhere. an example of price difference, meal for two at the patiserie on kalamar road with two soft drinks ,no desert. wonderful meal total 53 lira. wonderful meal for two but with bottle of wine at top harbour retaurant cost 196tlr again no desert. no room left for it. both excellent both with great service and both with great views.

have a wonderful holiday you will have everything you would wish to make a super holiday and please every member of your family. :) :) :) :)

Offline gailyt

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
Really really appreciate all the info and looking forward to some sun and hopefully no rain - it seems now that we are to be moved to the Truffle apartments as the Asfiya retreat apartments are not quite up to standard - I understand these are more central, does that mean noisy?  The Kalamar beach club definitely sounds just the ticket for all of us - I'll be the one on the sunlounger though - I'll leave the banana boat etc for the youngsters!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
Hi,

I have just looked on the website for Truffle apartments, hope they are the right ones. They look really nice and seem to be located next to The Samira and 5 minutes into town. They sem to be owned  by The asfya group.

Barb

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
Truffle do indeed look lovely and in a great central position but I think they are privately owned, unless that's changed. Have a look at their blog on their website  http://www.truffleresidences.com/index.php/turkish-adventure-blog?layout=blog   

It seems that Truffle manage other properties too and some of those are in the Asfiya Retreat complex, which although built by Aykan group are also privately owned.

Have a great first holiday in Kalkan.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »
Truffle apartments are fab and in a fantastic location, you won't be disappointed. Guests get a discount card for many of the restaurants and attractions in Kalkan which is an added bonus for you. Truffle have excellent directories advising places to visit and eat so you won't struggle.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
A few forum members have stayed there, we've had a nosey round as our friends stayed there a couple of years ago. Perfect location and very nice standard of accomodation - the two rooftop apartments have their own jacuzzis and I think they provide you with toiletries - shower gel etc, so less to pack. Enjoy :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan Newbies

Started by edthered on Introduce Yourself

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 08:20:57 AM
by babyboomer
xx
Kalkan Newbies

Started by Bantu on Introduce Yourself

13 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 06:56:37 PM
by tortoise lady
xx
More Newbies

Started by jane on hols on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 06:28:54 AM
by kevincat99
xx
Newbies

Started by Mrgrimsdale on Introduce Yourself

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 07:36:29 AM
by Mrgrimsdale

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal