Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First time in Kalkan  (Read 5306 times)

Offline liwil2007

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First time in Kalkan
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have just booked a holiday for me and my partner in Kalkan at the end of August and as it is our first time we are looking for some things to do.

I am interested in a turkish bath and have read some threads recommending the Regency? However, what is the correct clothing to wear to a turkish bath, is a bikini ok? And can you book in advance?

I have also heard the drive from Kalkan to Kas (?) has amasing scenery, is there a car hire in the centre of Kalkan as we would only need a car for 1-2 days?

Also, we are planning on having one really special night out for dinner and drinks etc to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary, again any ideas of where to go would be great.

Kind Regards,

(I also hope i have done this correctly, i am new to forums!)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.0

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
Re: First time in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Bikini is fine unless you are a bloke... Regency is a great place for the Turkish bath.

Plenty of car hire places in Kalkan, I personally use Define Tours based next to the harbour.

Special night... for me it would have to be Mussakka down by the harbour but there are so many to choose from, why not try a different one each night and return to your favourite?

Hope this helps
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
hello....you certainly have done it correctly!
not sure about Turkish baths as have not done this but will be interested to see what replies you get as it's on this year's list
you can hire cars from lots of companies in Kalkan for very reasonable daily rates.....everyone has their preferred supplier but we have found Enes very reliable
everyone has a favourite restaurant in Kalkan our favourites are the Fish Terrace and Coast......if you are looking for somewhere very posh then the Mahal gets a lot of recommendations but we have never been there

welcome to the forum and well done on booking your first Kalkan holiday....it's unlikely to be your last!  :laugh:

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
The Regency or the Pirat are both good for a Turkish Bath.  I usually wear a bikini or swimming costume but you're better off topless really. 
I haven't ever hired a car so I don't know, but there is also a Dolmus (mini bus) to Kas very cheaply if you just want the one outing.  A lot of people in the know seem to use Brave Tours.
As for restaurants you will be spoilt for choice, but I have eaten an evening meal at the Mahal and it's not as good as the lunches (could be bad luck  ??? I would suggest Coast, Mussaka, Gironda, Aubergine, Seaport (good enough for David Cameron apparently, he has eaten there) or Korsan Fish Terrace.  All are top end for food and service. Also Sandals is very good down the far end of the harbour near the Pirat hotel.
Other outings you might like are Saklikent Gorge, Kekova sunken city, Lycian ruins, beautiful beach at Patara and a boat trip from the harbour.  You will love Kalkan, it's a great place! Have a good holiday.

Offline liwil2007

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »
Thanks everyone! So happy people responded ;D That's some great information thanks! I will be sure to Google everything before i go, think i am getting a bit too excited already!

We are staying the the Samira Deluxe, as i understand this is pretty far out? Will we still be able to walk to the harbour at nights? Also, I am a serious high heel wearer, does this mean i will be coming back in a cast?

Sorry for the constant questions!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
I am sure you are really going to enjoy your holiday in Kalkan and that the first time will not be the last!   So many people keep going back once they are bitten.

Really high heels??  I know they look elegant but Kalkan streets are not made for very high heels.    I look in horror when I see ladies struggling with heels in Kalkan.   Can you not consider downgrading a little on the shoes - you can make up for it with wonderful clothes in the evenings. 

There is a good search section to this forum where you can look at previous postings on things like restaurants, outings etc (sure there have been lots of comments on high heels also, try looking at them before you do your final pack and make sure you have some footwear for comfort and safety).   

Have a wonderful time planning for your holiday and let us know how you get on when you have been.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
Forget the high heels. Even if you manage to get to town wearing them ,once you hit the cobbles.........enough said! Most people go for flats, you see very few in heels so I would certainly downgrade the heel size!

As for restaurants I would pick your favourite when you are there, you will be spoilt for choice. Olive Garden is a good bet but make sure you book to get the best table.

Enjoy, and as said before, bet this won't be your last visit!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
if you really are a high heel type of girl maybe you could put them in your handbag and wear flats to negotiate the hills and then change as you arrive at the restaurant? for me its flip flops all the way....I even manage to slip in them! :laugh:

Offline liwil2007

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
I think Babs has the answer, sitting down shoes!  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
welcome to the forum lilwil.
I'm a perennial high heel wearer - 5-6 inches most days, I'm pretty well known for my ability to run up and down corridors and stairs in them when the occasion demands. I have persisted with high wedges in Kalkan - I can skip in them at home -but not once have I ventured out in them. They come along for the ride and take up valuable kg in the case. Leave heels at home and invest in some blingy sandals and flip flops - the pavements are uneven, steep and slippy so if you want to avoid a trip to the hospital, stick with low wedges and flats that's my advice. Besides, heel wearers are entertainment for everyone sitting in Moonlight Bar...not something I'd recommend ;)
I would, however, recommend Villa Mahal for that special meal - the food/price is on a par with the harbourside restaurants but the view is stunning - go just before sunset for the ultimate in romantic settings.
We use Abi for our car hire, Enes for airport transfers - we like to spread the business around :)
I'd recommend Atlantis for an authentic Turkish Bath or Lkyia Hotel for a luxurious one.
Have a great trip :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »
liwil.....it would be a case of 'do as I say, not as I do!'.....I wouldn't even attempt a low heel in Kalkan and once you have climbed the stairs to the beautiful roof terrace restaurants you will be so taken with the stunning views you won't care what's on your feet
as kalkan4eva says wearing heels guarantees that you are the entertainment when in Kalkan....that and getting out of the sea on the town beach without beach shoes/crocs......as you can see footwear is a big issue  :laugh:

Offline liwil2007

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
By the sounds of this I could have been a figure of ridicule before i started this thread! I looked on the internet and it suggested that for a turkish bath u get naked! :o (something i was not keen on) And also my high heel disaster, going to look for some sparkly flats now.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
I go for a Turkish bath at Atlantis on every visit to Kalkan - I think they'd be a bit shocked if you went in naked!  If you're not too shy I agree that it's better without a top.  I'm sure wherever you go you'll be treated with respect and discretion.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
Hi liwil, we used the Regency last year for a Turkish bath, me and hubbie booked in as a couple and i wore my bikini.Can recommend The Regency. Like other posts i've also fallen over in flat shoes, i had my Birkenstocks on but still didn't negotiate the cobbles right!!! I take flat sandals and buy ones that have serious bling on them so at least i still feel a bit dressed up, as other posts say i really wouldn't consider high heels. Restaurant wise we love Mussaka on the harbour and also Kalamaki but you will find your own favourites and you're spoilt for choice!
Have a lovely time and look forward to hearing what you think about Kalkan on your return.
Nicky.
Nicky

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
You'd manage in moderate wedge shoes if you can't tollerate flats, provided they aren't on a 2 inch platform with another 6 inches for the heel and have a bit of width at the back. High heels may look elegant normally but they really don't when someome is wobbling about and having to hang onto their partner. We can tell first timers by their footwear.
I'm sure you will love Kalkan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »
you will find many restaurants hose down the pavement outside ..this can make it very slipmungus...even when you are vertically challenged and wearing flippen floppen it can be dodgy....the last thing you want is to be on stilts :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline liwil2007

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
HolmfirthNicky- That sounds wonderful I would feel more comfortable getting a couples one!

Sounds like high heels are off my list! At least that means I have a better luggage allowance and can bring home loads from this famed market!

If anyone has anyone must do excursions that would be a great help  :)

Thanks

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
a boat trip from the harbour....no shoes allowed and Saklikent Gorge....you can rent plastic shoes!
see the shoe theme just runs and runs....... :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
xx
1st time in Kalkan

Started by BeeKay on Introduce Yourself

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 11:51:43 PM
by Reygirl
xx
first time in kalkan

Started by izzy35 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 09:54:09 PM
by izzy35
recycled
First time in kalkan

Started by try2010 on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 10:43:30 PM
by Evadee

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Incredible grip!

Views: 3268
By: antler
Kaputas Beach