Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice Needed on driving to Kalkan Winter 2012  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Marje40

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Advice Needed on driving to Kalkan Winter 2012
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »

Hi,

I am going to spend the Winter 2012 in Kalkan, (yipee!) with my 10 year old daughter and labradoodle, we live near Dundee and would very much like to drive down (although I have never driven abroad before, so it's slightly daunting).

After reading Bee's wonderful account of their trip, I have some questions and wonder if anyone can advise please.

Would it be better/quicker to go via Holland rather than through England/France?

I very much want to enjoy the Italian part of the journey with my daughter, but The Alps and any winding roads with sheer drops are particularly scary for me, as I'm very deaf and it's a balance thing I guess.  So I would like to avoid that bit if possible.

Also in terms of Italy, any suggestions on places to stop off (I would rather avoid all the big tourist cities right now,) having been to Italy a few times and seeing how they drive I wouldn't feel too confident about negotiating their cities and would rather avoid.  So perhaps quieter places - i've been to the Naples/Amalfi coast so was thinking more the Eastern side of the country.

Also, any advice on similar places to stop off for the night in Greece.

Clearly quite a few people have driven and any tips to make it easier for me would be gratefully received, we're not in a rush as we don't need to be in Kalkan until 1st November, so happily would take a week or so to get there.

I understand I can keep my car for 6 months in Turkey - is this still correct with the new visa laws?  I intend to apply for a residence visa, but would get my car out before 6 months is up, it's mainly so we can tour about.

Incidentally, does anyone know if dogs are allowed on Dolmuses/buses?

Thanks. ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8986.0

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Advice Needed on driving to Kalkan Winter 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
Do you really want to drive all the way there just to have a car whilst you're there? It's going to cost well over a thousand pounds and you still have to drive all the way back. It must be far cheaper to rent for a few weeks whilst there.  Going in November you don't need to worry too much about tourist traffic. Go through Belgium, Germany and Austria. They all have very good motorways and lorries are not allowed at weekends in Germany.Take the Brenner Pass at Innsbruck and when in Italy look at the traffic on the motorways. If all the traffic are on the parrallel main roads then that is the cheapest option, the locals will know. Italian motorways are all toll roads. Sorry, I can't help beyond that.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
You are not able to take animals on public transport here,not even in a cat/dog box.However sometimes you see the odd chicken or dog on a dolmus!

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
We travelled through Italy. The main roads in the Alps are mainly tunnelled through the mountains, one after the other, so there's no need to worry about precariously balancing on the side of a sheer drop unless you use the country roads, but as said they are all toll roads. We stopped on the Tuscan coast, which was very quiet and not too far from Pisa, Florence, San Gimignano and Luca, all place you could visit which shouldn't be too busy that time of year. The labradoodle will look great parading along the promenade. We are going to to the Eastern coast on the way home with a "quick" detour across country to Rome, a place I am longing to see. We are also going to do the south of France too and are considering driving through to Spain and making our way home from there.

There are various ferry routes you can take from Italy, to various points in Greece or Turkey. You will need to plan out where and what you want to visit.

You are correct about the 6 months visa for the car and of course, with the new visa regulations you will need to apply for residency for you to stay beyond the 90 days.

The best rate for a long term winter car rental, we found, was £12 per day inclusive of insurance, although the reason we drove was for the whole experience of visiting Europe, and ,like you, love an adventure.

My only bit of advice, and is something we will do for our journey, back is to plan your route and book hotels ahead. That way it gives a point to aim for and the security of knowing you have a reservation. We did find ourselves driving round in circles, in the dark a couple of times looking for a hotel and for you with a 10 year old and a dog that could get a bit stressful.

It's such an easy drive. You will love it.

Offline Marje40

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
Great, thanks for the advice everyone.  I shall digest all this and have a think about it.

Yes, my reasons for driving are similar to you Bee, it's something I think I would only do once in a lifetime, and what a great adventure.  I'm almost 43, and I've recently found out an old school friend has months to live, life really is too short.

So my inspiration, apart from having wanted to do it since i've been to (and fallen in love with Kalkan) is my friend.  She will be leaving behind 2 young daughters, but I (gratefully) will still be with mine and before I know it she will be grown up.  What can I give her if not the experience of travel and the memories and the "yes you can" attitude.

So it might sound silly and reckless to some, and I find the thought of it quite scary, but I have a long time to plan it and save!  I may now have to cancel our summer jaunt sadly.

And to be honest, my car (although an excellent runner) is fairly old and worthless now, so I assume even if I did not want to drive it back I could scrap it (assuming there is a way of doing that).

Thanks again! ;)

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
This might be of use to you. On Tripadviser have a look at the Fethiye Forum, a Poster called Fethiye Fraser has recently driven from Scotland down to Fethiye and he did a number of postings about his journey and experiences along the way. He now lives in Fethiye and has always been a regular contributer to the Forum. You would be able to contact him via Tripadvisor I am sue he would be most happy to answer any questions you might have.

Offline Marje40

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Great, that's really helpful!

Thanks so much Pete  ;D

(Now read it all - really good and interesting account but I wouldn't fancy the route he took!)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:24:33 PM by Marje40 »

Offline Hobbit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
I am also looking to drive over, probably in the next couple of weeks, and was going to bring over some possessions for my house in Kalkan.  Does anybody know if I can do this on a regular tourist visa, as wasn't intending to sort out my residency until I arrive?

All advice much appreciated.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
What you can bring in on a tourist visa is quite limited and tends to be everything which customs regards as being for personal use during a short stay - so things such as hairdryers, PC's , i phones etc would get through but items of furniture, and big electrical goods, e.g. televisions, would not.

You could I am sure get away with bedding, towels and other linens such as curtains, probably a few pots and pans as well but not very much else.

If you were to try and import non-personal things, you might, if you were stopped and searched have the goods impounded and you would have to pay very high duty to get them out or worse still, the goods could be confiscated, never to be seen again.

If you can possibly sort out the logistics it is much easier and cheaper to bring things in once you have residency.

It is worth contacting the Turkish Consulate in London before you set off and they can advise you as the regulations change frequently and they always have up to date knowledge.

Hope you have a very enjoyable journey

Lantana

Offline Hobbit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Many thanks for this!

I think I need to enlist the help of one of my turkish friends as co-pilot!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Winter in Kalkan 2012 (Back on!)

Started by Marje40 on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 10:12:15 AM
by Marje40
xx
First Holiday in Kalkan- Advice needed!

Started by LittleLex77 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 11:09:37 PM
by tonik1945
xx
Kalkan on honeymoon? Advice/help needed.

Started by Agent Ottoman on Accommodation and Hotels

16 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 09:12:50 PM
by Charlie
xx
Child Friendly Kalkan - Advice needed

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 06:08:48 PM
by chrissy1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal