Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan on honeymoon? Advice/help needed.  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan on honeymoon? Advice/help needed.
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:38:43 AM »
Hi all,

As some of you know we are getting married in a few months and as part of our celebrations we had booked a honeymoon to the Dominican Republic with Thomsons. Last night we decided to look on YouTube at some videos of the hotel we've picked and to our horror most of the videos were Miss Bikini contests and Beer Drinking Contests round the pool accompanied by loud blaring music. This is great for some people I'm sure but it's not what we had in mind for a relaxing honeymoon! Don't like the idea of bring pestered by an animation team to go and 'shake my booty' on a stage all day whilst trying to read a book etc! So we are going in this evening to see if we can change the destination as we're not going until next Easter. We are thinking of possibly returning to Kalkan. So:

1) does anyone know if any of the villas/accommodation offered by Thomson in Kalkan are suitable for a honeymoon (havd to use Thomson as deposit etc will be lost if we cancel completely)
2) what will be open etc in April?
3) would you reccomend Kalkan for a honeymoon?

Thank you everyone, we're in a bit of a panic as you can imagine!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11225.0

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Kalkan on honeymoon? Advice/help needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
Hi Agent O, what a disappointment for you, but lucky you found out about your planned honeymoon hotel now whilst there is still time to do something about it.

The Thomson villa choices in KK don't look that wide (or am I missing something?) - might it be an option to exchange the deposit on your package holiday for 'flight only' tickets? That way, you would be able to book any of the wonderful privately owned villas independently.

I was in KK this April and the weather was on the whole very good, with some truly glorious days of non-stop sunshine - although my unheated pool was too chilly to use. Easter seemed pretty quiet this year, but all the places that open during winter were going strong. From memory, the restaurants in town that were open this Easter/April included: Kaya, Hunkar, Sade, Merkez, Isos, Doy Doy, Akin, Fener, Aubergine, Moussaka, Agora, Café Leon, Ali Babas, Han (TanZore was on the cusp of opening for the first time) - there may have been more. Many businesses are getting ready for the season, so there is lots of local activity, and by the last week in April, most places are ready to go - although it's unlikely the boat trips will be running then.

In the right accommodation, and with some careful forward planning, I don't see why you can't have a great honeymoon in KK. You can book private chefs/masseurs to come to your villa, and plan some great trips further afield. It might not be the same kind of holiday you had earlier this year when the town was much busier, but in some ways that might be more romantic. And it certainly sounds better than the beer swilling, booty shaking, cattle-market experience that was lined up for you at your DomRep hotel. Good luck in the travel agents.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Hi agent ottoman,
Just a thought, but if you are unable to find anything suitable in kalkan, maybe you could try another Caribbean destination. Maybe a little more expensive, especially if you have a tight wedding budget, but somewhere like Barbados or Antigua and Mexico may have the kind of hotels you have in mind. Choose your resort wisely though. We've been to all 3 so pm me if you need more details. Off past experience, I would prefer a week in either of these places, than a fortnight in the Dominican republic.
Good luck, hope you manage to sort it out.   :)

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
Just to give you a flavour and to show I'm not being dramatic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFRwE7UHMI

Even the OH was mortified!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »
Oh dear agent ottoman!!!!!! I'm so sorry!!!!
You'll have brightened up a few of the male forum member's Monday morning though!!!  ;D >:D

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »
Oh my word! I would be devastated too, don't blame you for wanting to cancel! I'm sure the travel agent will be able to sort something out as it's so far in advance. I hope you manage to change the booking to somewhere more conducive to a romantic, relaxing honeymoon!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »
Thomson do go to the hotel we stayed in for my 50th....perhaps you could change to go there?
It is very suitable for honeymooners, beautiful location, amazing service.
Excellence Playa Mujeres....just outside Cancun
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
Devastated is not the word!!! I can't believe that the resort was even recommended to us. We said we liked quiet, wanted romance etc!! We aren't the sort if people who'd enjoy that even for a normal holiday! We are a little 'pipe and slippers', possibly before our time but that's what we like!

Thanks Christina that's a good idea re the deposit and flights. I hadn't thought of that. As you're right the choice that Thomson offer is VERY limited.

K4E I unfortunately can't find that hotel with Thomson, only Thomas Cook - maybe they aren't doing it this year.  :(

Possibly Sensatori Tenerife? Though this is a big hotel and could be equally as busy as its the Easter Hols (I'm a teacher so limited to when we can go).

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
Ha ha, I know what you mean about pipe and slippers. I used to go to lively resorts in my late teens/early 20s because everyone else did then I suddenly realised it just wasn't me at all.

If you think Kalkan might be a little too quiet for you in April, a friend of mine goes to Lara Beach near Antalya every April. It's been hot and sunny every time she's been so far, and she usually goes at the start of the month. There are some amazing hotels there so you might find the luxurious, romantic break you were hoping for...can't see them having bikini booty contests and drinking competitions!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
Just to give you a flavour and to show I'm not being dramatic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFRwE7UHMI

Even the OH was mortified!

Well I don't know what all the fuss is about ;)
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
Thank you for everyone's advice and for just understanding! We've got it sorted and are now off to Mexico to the El Dorado Seaside Suites. Looks far better and no videos of bikini contests, beer drinking shenanigans or iron man competitions have been found for this one!!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »
 Yay, so happy for you! I can't believe the travel agent even suggested that first place. You must be so relieved  :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
Fantastic news Agent Ottoman, so glad you managed to sort out an alternative. Mexico is lovely, you'll have a wonderful honeymoon.  8) 8) :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Brilliant Agent Ottoman, am sure you will have a fantastic honeymoon.  Enjoy!!  8) 8) 8)

Jayne

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
Just loved your subject wording Agent Ottoman - under different circumstances it would have been rather funny.  Pleased you have now sorted it out.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
We looked at El Dorado too....looks fab. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time and you've definitely done the right thing as I don't know anyone who has been to Dominican Republic and either enjoyed it or not gotten sick :P
You can relax now and look forward to a wonderfully luxurious stay.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
We went to the Domnican Republic on holiday and had a great family holiday.  Stayed in a fabulous hotel with private beach and the food was wonderful.  None of our party were sick either - that said it was probably 20 years ago so I'm sure it has changed plenty!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:15:41 PM by Charlie »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First Holiday in Kalkan- Advice needed!

Started by LittleLex77 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 11:09:37 PM
by tonik1945
xx
Child Friendly Kalkan - Advice needed

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 06:08:48 PM
by chrissy1
xx
Advice Needed on driving to Kalkan Winter 2012

Started by Marje40 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 03:31:30 PM
by Hobbit
xx
Help, advice and wisdom needed!

Started by mantha38 on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 09:21:43 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal