Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ray's week in Kalkan  (Read 3900 times)

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Ray's week in Kalkan
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
I thought that I would beat the hell out of Antlers holiday report seeing as though we stay at the same place but then I thought... NARRRR. For 1. I'm no poet. 2. I don't fly around the world all year spilling drinks on peoples white trousers (just live on a farm) and 3. I don't drink vodka to oil the keyboard words. So mine will be brief but I hope worth a read. Arrived at manchester airport at 6.00 am and it was total bedlam. They had people queing to go in through the doors, go round and round till you crossed the que you had just been in, to go back outside and the eventually to the desk. Oh dear what as mess. Anyway having checked the luggage in we took off only about 15 minutes late. Brill !. When we landed at Dalaman it was just as bad there. We have never seen it so full. There were 4 planes unloading suitcases onto our conveyor and people had been waiting over an hour before the first cases arrived from manchester.......but yes... not mine. So off we go in our taxi from ADDA (they showed up this time...Jon) We arrive at our beautiful house (i would have said stop mentioning it steve (antler) but its too late for that and it may not matter. Thanks for the Red Angora for my birthday mate, it went down well. So, no swimwear for a quick dip (of course no anything). Leave jeans, shirt and shoes on and go find some shorts, tee shirts and pumps. get changed in shop and off for first meal. Kosk. Absolutley brill and very attentive, remembering us from previous years. Back home for drink on Steves famous terrace. Was gob smacked to find that the managers villa below and to the front of us was now Cafe Ev (thats why I didn't know where it was steve, it had only been there 3 weeks before we arrived. Nice people but it was not what we were used to. One of the lovely trees that shaded the terrace had been chopped down and it was not as quiet as before. There are some good aspects in as much as you can have a meal brought round to you if you want (or 3 steve). Our one week was all about us doing nothing, we've seen the usuals, Sakikent. thols etc and we were going to spend most of our time reading, swimming, eating and drinking. Over the week we ate at Chillis, Omars, Marina, Baraht, Korsan fish, Gironda, Gormet, 1 next to Baraht forget the name, Kosk and bits in others. They were all good and we never had a bad meal. We did bump into a couple of over pushy waiters down near aubergine that were pretty rude and we didn't spend any money with them. Other friends at our apartments also found this and had to wait 2 hours for their meal with a splash of rudeness. As usual we had very nice neighbours, Fran who owns the place next to us, Anita and Geoff and colin and john. We have always rented our house from Audrey but unfortunately she has sold the place back to the builder who also owns the Cafe Ev. We do have concerns that the privacy of the place may be compromised because of the cafe and we hope that this will not be the case. There were a couple of times when the lovely quiet of the terrace was disturbed by a live football match on the outdoor widescreen at the Cafe Ev and a couple of times when we had unwanted guests in or around the pool. Fran will no doubt chase away these intrusions into what has always been a totally private setting. We recognise the fantastic time you had steve and we did too, but it has made us think about what we will do next year. We are going to keep in contact with fran to watch and wait. We hope everything will turn out ok because we love the place. We would hate to turn up next time and the private bar area is now opened by the Cafe Ev  and other people are using the pool. The security and privacy we have always loved would be compromised. Anyway we had a great time and met some lovely people, I know you have fell in love with the place Steve and I hope that were all able to continue to do so. Anyway Mr Antler ........here goes....roses are red....voilets are blue, so was our pool....and when you left .....so was you..... I'm a poet and I didn't know it...Think I will stick to my favoute saying...."Oye.... Get off my land".... Perhaps I could use it round the pool. Regards Ray

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8537.0

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: Ray's week in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
Ha ha, great report!  Funny you should say about the over-pushy staff down by Aubergine - this often puts us off eating round there.  There are two more restaurants up in the town centre that we always find very pushy so we've never eaten at either of them. 

Glad you had a good holiday despite the changes that have taken place :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
Thanks for posting Ray.....guess you didn't find Antlers shorts floating in the pool??did you lose your luggage? :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Cheers Mr Blue.........got your PM....interesting and very worth considering and booking up quick. Yes.... no luggage for 3 days and bugger I forgot to look for antlers shorts in the pool. My missis thought I had a close shave cos last year, when i got there I jumped in the pool....like a big fool (there I go again steve - poetry) complete with my phone. Once a fool always a fool even at 60. Regards Ray

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
Oh Ray, what a star you are!  So funny, I will have to read it again later but couldn't resist just having a quick look now (just arrived Porto, Portugal on a business trip with my boss) to see what you had been up to.

You make some very interesting observations.............

Back soon,

Steve

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
Cheers steve.........have a good BUSINESS trip. What a job. Fran talked very highly of you. For sale sign up at the top shop 139k (talk the boss into a business purchase over dinner tonight) Would have it myself but I need to fill my red diesel tank next week and thats the price of a bedroom.

Regards. PS wont miss that bloody freezer door. you make sure you have enough ice on the first visit. Been like it for past three years.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
We did bump into a couple of over pushy waiters down near aubergine that were pretty rude and we didn't spend any money with them. Other friends at our apartments also found this and had to wait 2 hours for their meal with a splash of rudeness.

Ha ha, great report!  Funny you should say about the over-pushy staff down by Aubergine - this often puts us off eating round there. 

Are you referring to Aubergine staff or waiters 'down by/near' Aubergine?  I have never found the waiters working in Aubergine pushy but have found some of the waiters at nearby restaurants quite intrusive.

Offline Neddy Seagoon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
Clewortallray,
Co-owner of the top shop here.I will take the matter of the pool ''visitors'' from the cafe up with the management company.The cafe project was not consulted with the other co-owners prior to opening,nor were we given any say on the matter.I will also be in Kalkan at the end of the month which will no doubt result in another animated discussion with the management.Sorry if the cafe is causing problems for you,but they will get to hear about it loud and very clearly.
Have a look at the top shop.It has a great view and you are away from the cafe.
John  >:(

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
Hi John .....thanks for the responce. I will send you a PM. I used to love Neddy Seagoon

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »
Hi Charlie............it was the restaurant just passed the aubergine, on the left walking towards Korsan (which got our business). I don't recollect the name. The waiter asked us to look at his menu, to which I said maybe another night and continued towards Korsan. He said, Excuse me I'm talking to you and I haven't finished, in a very confrontational manner, I stopped and said that "Oh yes, you are finished", and continued on our way. Our friend also said that they had an unpleasant experience down there. It a shame because they only loose the business and put people off going down that way. We love going in Trio and Marina etc. Most recognise that you can't eat in every restaurant every night and after suggesting that you dine with them are very pleasant and hope you will come another time......and we do. Regards Ray

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
although restaurants have always had "getter inners" outside trying to get people to eat we noticed this year they were more shall we say "persistant"...i think it's because there were less people to go round the amount of restaurants.... certainly when we were in kalkan(start of June) many friends said numbers were well down ..i won't go in places that bug me too much....a good menu,reasonable prices,a bit of humour and a hug and a handshake...thats what makes me think i'll give it a go ;)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
What is top shop?

Offline Neddy Seagoon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »
Kalkanbelle,
Top shop is Sunelite apartment.
Pm for details
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:55:41 PM by joanH »

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
Hi Ray and thank you for the clarification.  Just the way your post and another were phrased it seemed to be Aubergine waiters that were being pushy and as I stated before I have never found this.  So didn't want this thread to put potential diners off visiting Aubergine.  I personally find the atmosphere in Aubergine very relaxing and love nothing more than to sit there for a drink at the end of a night even if we haven't eaten there that evening.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
How can we get the best out of Kalkan in a week

Started by ed659 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 11:04:30 PM
by baklavabuddy
xx
Storms in Kalkan this week

Started by tortoise lady on Weather

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 07:14:31 PM
by brian j p
xx
Is Kalkan less busy this week?

Started by Alfaman on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 01:14:25 PM
by Legionaire
xx
First time to Kalkan ... for one week only ... what to do!!!

Started by lynnem1 on Introduce Yourself

7 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 11:30:23 AM
by Kalkan Magic

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fishing Boats

Views: 4088
By: Buster
A Regular Visitor