Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Villa renters beware  (Read 3650 times)

Offline soprano

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
Villa renters beware
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
If you rent out your villa in Kalkan and receive an enqiry through a third person be very careful. Check who is actually renting your villa and definitely get your rent up front. There is an unscrupulous person in Kalkan with an unsavoury history who is attempting to make a business this way.  I do not want anyone  else to suffer through these people.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7830.0

Offline GARDENIA PAT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Villa renters beware
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »
We have an apartment in Kalkan and have just found out that our maintainance man hasn't been paying our bills,he's also a well known man in Kalkan.
I urge all Villa ,apart owners to check and ask for evey receipt! We trusted this man and spent lots of time with him and his wifes family who im sure would be devastated to know he was doing this.
He won't put us off Kalkan because i know we still have many friends there,He's one bad apple (full of maggots ) We now are in big debt  and will have to pay all our bills again,not just us but the other 2 families in our block.......... OOOOH i so wish i could name and shame him!!!!!!! >:D >:D >:D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »

Why don't you??

Offline GARDENIA PAT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
I Havn't named him because i didn't think it was allowed,and im also worried if we would get any comeback!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »

Sadly I agree with you about naming and shaming and this is what such people rely on - and as it's such a small community this doesn't help
However, sadly this seems to happen all too often and nothing happens
But as you say you trusted him and became friends with his family - but you should always treat such things firstly as a business relationship - then friendship
Always insist on getting receipts - every utility here gives then from the Belediye for water [usually monthly] and council tax [annually in May] and the TEDAS for electricity [which now come monthly] and don't pay the next one until you have seen a valid receipt for the last payment you made
Ideally get a neighbour you trust to pay if possible
But having said that there are a lot of people here we are honest - sadly you don't always find them !!

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
Can't you report them to the jandarme for fraud/theft or get a solicitor and sue them?  If there is more than one family involved you could share the legal costs and it might be cheaper than paying all the bills again!  If they are a well known family in Kalkan they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. IMO

Offline GARDENIA PAT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
The estate agent who we bought our apart from set this man on,he also looked after his pool .But he now is trying to help us sort this out because he has also been " robbed by him".

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:14:24 AM »
 >:( Its so terrible that this could happen to people! In my experience I know that certain utilities can be paid by direct debit from Turkish banks. Maybe this is the way to go as it is then secure and there is no onus on any 'trusted' friend? The comment from kevincat99 'business then friendship' is a good rule of thumb, you wouldn't do it anyway other way in UK so same rules apply here. Hope it all works out for you  :( :(

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:45 AM »
There is a saying in the village, 'The English leave their brains at Dalaman'! It is so true and should always be remembered when we are 'helped' by anyone.
Even in Turkey, there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »
Unfortunately, this has happened many times to people a little too trusting.  Maybe the answer is a 'private, shared blacklist' of all bad apples, including bad renters. 

Best to register for direct bank payment of your electric bills at least.  I think Denizbank can also now pay water bills.  Annual council taxes cannot, as far as I know, be paid directly by the bank but be sure to insist on the scanned receipt when they are paid.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »
You can pay for water and electricity through the Yapi Kredi and Deniz banks since last year. Maybe the other banks as well, I don't know.
The belidye are open 5 days a week for payment of the 'property' taxes, which are due in May. However, if you can't pay it then, the fine for late payment is very small so you can leave it and pay when you arrive here.
From what I can gather from various friends who have done it, if you register your house in more than one name, each name has to pay a charge. i.e. One name registered with Belidye means 1 x charge, Joint names 2 x charge. I'm still trying to find the truth/logic behind this. Can anybody help?

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
I believe that when you have two names on the tapu ( 1/2 hisse means 1/2 share), you each pay a half share in the council tax. You go to the belidye and when they print out the bills it is in two names each with two separate charges. 1 is the first half year payment and 2 is the second half payment. You can either pay them both at the same time or one payment in May and the second in November. The water bill is on a separate bill. If you are unsure if your bill has been paid just go to the office with a copy of your tapu (for the council tax) and your meter no. (aboneo) for the water bill. Anyone who owns should have water,electric and property registered in their name.

Offline waterskibabe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
 i am asking the editor - can we name and shame this man as iIknow he looks after  other apartments and villas in kalkan and I dont want other people to experience the troubles we are going through??

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Problem Villa Renters

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

32 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 11:23:39 PM
by MartynE
xx
Wi Fi - Is it important for renters?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

48 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Renters - What are your preferences?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 05:42:20 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Owners experiences with renters

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

27 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal