Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem Villa Renters  (Read 11489 times)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Problem Villa Renters
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
It would generally appear that providing guests do not damage the villa, owners usually seem to put profit before nuisance to others.
The rental market is so cut throat here that it is a brave renter who turns down "guests"
There were some really rowdy people in a villa in Kalamar for the last few evenings, going on until 4 in the morning and when the owner was asked to shut them up the response was " I don't want to as they are my "guests" and I don't want to be seen to be difficult towards them.
But having said, I have a friend whose neighbour's villa sleeps 10 / 12 and even if the guests just sit up half the night talking it is a nuisance, never mind if they are rowdy  :(

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
You never can tell! ...
I am a visitor to Kalkan, a holiday villa renter. I travel with a trumpet player, who practices every day, twice a day. So, we make a point of chatting to our tour operator and explain the situation, because we don't want to disturb other residents or guests. it's why we don't book hotels. (he uses a mute for his practice, but even so...)
Anyway, last year at the holiday companies recommendation, we took a smashing villa near Cafe Vita off the Kalamar road, there were other villas about, some with large parties. And yes, we could hear the chatter at the pool side, barbecue banter and so on. But the most racket came from one half of a very sweet looking young couple who clearly enjoyed cocktail hour, Effes time and the occasional nightcap. 3.30 am, regular as clockwork, she lay on her sunbed, earphones in, singing (?) along to her ipod, on the top of her voice, to ... Diana Ross, 'Aint No Mountain High Enough' . Over and over. It rang round the hillside, we could have been at Wembley arena. (Well, no, that would have meant there would have been more chance it wold have been in tune). Very funny first night, not so funny as the week drew on. Her partner /boyfriend / husband stayed well out of the way during these solo performances ... there's really nothing you can do! (Except get a toddy and sit on the balcony till she fell asleep ...)
So, it takes just one, usually sweet, very petite person to make the most noise.
it's the luck of the draw!
We booked same villa again this year, and thankfully wont have to worry about disturbing our neighbors! We hope 'Diana' is staying elsewhere though ... :)
if you can walk you can dance

Offline Suffolk folk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
We would definitely be interested in an owners section to pass on useful info eg "problem" guests. 

Apparently, our guests were very noisy during the day when on the pool terrace - it was a family party including young children.  We do not accept "hen" or "stag" parties as we think there is more potential for noise etc.  Our villa handbook requests that guests be considerate of others but, if so inclined, people will just carry on no matter what.  Our agents are nearby (and have said they were aware of the noise) and they have dealt with other problems that have come up previously but not now it seems.  Our neighbours (owners) know who are agents are but I do not know if they inform their guests in case of such difficulties - I'll check.   I should add that the guests seemed contrite about the noise/damage and I am sure they wouldhave been reasonable if spoken to at the time but that, sadly, it not always the case.  I'm now keeping everything crossed that we do not have anything like this again.  Oh, just seen the time - off to watch the tennis.
Mrs SF

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
If owners were to share information about guests, which to be of any value would have to include names and addresses, the owners giving out information about theur guests would be in contravention of the data protection act and could face a very heavy fine, even if the information was being shared privately.
If a website were being used to share that information, the website would also be in contravention of the data protection act and would face even heavier fines, so think again John, if the forum is used to 'name and shame' you could face legal action not just from the data protection act but from the people who were being named and shamed as well.

Will

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
I certainly wouldnt want a name and shame section, that would be totally inappropriate and not what I was suggesting, I was meaning if owners of a particular complex or resort want their own private discussion forum away from EK this can be done. I know many areas already have such "owners groups"

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
lorilou - its sounds as tho the lady was 'singing/killing' the right song then, perhaps we need higher mountains around Kalkan & she obviously needs stronger night caps to assist her sleeping.

Its a pity in some ways the noise is regulated in the summer in Kalkan, we could all go out early in the morning with electric drills, hammers etc & have a good old time, just like here in the UK, no singing tho !!!! ;)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Oh dear - it is sad to read these threads, but I am sure it is not peculiar to Kalkan, I think it is because we are all so passionate about keeping the ambience of the place, it is a personal insult to us (and our ears/sleep).  It is a sad inevitability that as the place becomes more popular, it will attract a different type of clientele, who are not so caring.  Short of writing up a charter of rules to be signed on arrival, I fail to see what can be done, taking the law into our own hands will make us the villains (all innnocent).
It is the luck of the draw as to our neighbours, I am keeping my fingers crossed for my hols. in Sept, possibly the only saving grace is that the Villa owners live in Kalkan and may be able to aid us should we have problems!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
Without wanting to throw the cat amongst the pigeons as they say, could it be that due to the increased competition and change in the financial climate people who own and rent out are having to advertise or accept lower amounts to keep themselves afloat, which in turn may be changing the demographics of the area?

Offline kulube

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
Difficult problem but he Jandarma have a role to play. I know they patrol Kalamar at night (armed)...it would make most people shut up.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
EK - that's a very subtle way of saying it !!

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
I don't think it's anything to do with how much people have paid. Large groups of people holidaying together, whatever their age and background will be noisy. Most groups will not even realise just how loud they are and in most cases, a polite word with a member of their party would be enough to them them a little more aware of just how loud they are and would hopefully act as a volume control if the future. If that fails, turn the air conditioning on and close all the doors and windows - you won't hear a thing (though not much good during the day time of course).

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
We had some Italian lady's staying next to us...who insisted on walking around in the skimpiest bikini's you could imagine...and they kept popping over with figs......I gave it 13 days then felt I had to complain.  >:D >:D 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:10:00 PM by misty »

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:39 PM »

I take EK's point about a forum for accommodation owners to discuss such problems but in our case (Nur apartments) it's not really necessary - there's only three owners and we are all in touch on a regular basis and we all keep an eye and ear out for each other's property. Plus, of course, our managing agent is only next door anyway.

In any case the problem is far less likely to occur with apartments as they do not lend themselves to larger groups - unless people book several apartments at the same time.

Can't comment on changing demographics due to cut prices... we haven't cut ours, in fact this is the first year we haven't offered discounts for late bookings as we are virtually full. Plus the majority of our (paying) guests are repeat customers anyway, whom we know really well and they have never caused problems.

For new guests we always try and talk to them before accepting the booking, to try and ascertain what sort of people they are.... doesn't always guarantee anything though....

...ironically, the only slight problem we had was when some longstanding friends of ours took one of their son's friends with them to stay there three years ago and he got very drunk (probably on a couple of shandies) and had a fight with the son... and had to be taken to the clinic for a cut to his head when he "fell over".  Our friends are very trustworthy, perfectly respectable people and they were mortified... but they could not control a stupid teenager...  on the other hand, would they have been able to at home?? We didn't make any money on this, so that's nothing to do with it.

Basically, you can take all the precautions in the world but even decent people can be stupid from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:26:33 PM by MartynE »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa renters beware

Started by soprano on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:09:43 PM
by waterskibabe
xx
Renters - What are your preferences?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 05:42:20 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Wi Fi - Is it important for renters?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

48 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Owners experiences with renters

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

27 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pirat Hotel

Views: 3107
By: Bob & Jayne
Parga