Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Responsible Dog owners  (Read 52591 times)

Offline spinal tap

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: Responsible Dog owners
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
Well done Chrissie and Tiger (to a certain extent)
I have been a resident in kalkan for 7 years and have 3 dogs of my own.  The solution to this is not easy but as Tiger said no good moaning let something now be done. As much as I love dogs the problem in Kalkan is totally out of control.  KAPSA do a great job, I don't think people appreciate how much time and effort the people at KAPSA put into this and they are trying their very best and have the utmost respect for what they are doing. 

The dog problem still exists though and the Belediye need to get to grips with this big time. One fact is that half the street dogs are not street dogs they are owned.  Sad fact that many dog owners think that sticking a collar on a dog is enough, letting it run in the streets unspayed is ok, it is not! Belediye need to get a dog licence programme in place, why!! 1. if people had to pay to keep a dog may discourage them from owning a dog in first place 2. Belediye would make some money from this 3. A registered dog that causes problems owner (hopefully) would be accountable. I know this would only solve part of the problem but it would be a start.

Eventually something awful is going to happen and it will and Kalkan will suffer for this.

Why cannot we get together residents, non residents etc and put a case to the Belediye.  It is not a case of you live here and trying to dictate to Turkish what they should do, we all simply need to work together for goodness sake. 

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
I am not locking the topic at this stage as people seem to have various opinions to exchange but please can I remind everyone to consider what they post on a public forum and also to respect others views and act with courtesy or the topic will be removed.

Offline yakamoz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Before discovering Kalkan, I used to holiday in Skiathos, Greece.  Albeit a small island, it had a real problem with stray dogs.  A german lady who wanted to help with this problem was given permission to build kennels on some waste land, all the stray dogs were rounded up and taken to the kennels.  Here they were cared for, and fed.  Many were re-homed both in Greece and abroad and those that were not re-homed continued to stay in the kennels providing they were non aggressive.  This project was totally voluntary therefore local businesses and tourists were asked for donations to support the stray dogs.  This dramatically solved the problem in Skiathos re stray dogs.  Maybe this could be a viable solution in Kalkan?  Maybe the local authority could help to financially support KAPSA and donate an area of land for this purpose? 

Offline sidari

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
Now let us bring this to a view of a forthcoming visitor to Kalkan. What are we supposed to think? I do not like dogs particularly, my 10 year old son is scared of them. Nothing I have read on this article is making me look forward to our holiday. I just wish I had stumbled on this topic before I booked. We like Kalkan-we were there 3 years ago and only saw a few dogs then. How many more people on reading this will not come to Kalkan? Someone came up with the idea of a "dogs home" idea. Surely this has to be the answer. Now instead of looking forward to our holiday it is filling us with apprehension. This is NOT a good advert for Kalkan and will start to show soon on visitor numbers.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
Kalkan is a fantastic holiday destination and this website is to promote it as one, however it is also a forum that residents use who will have a stronger view on certain issues, it's a very tough balancing act but I think balance is the word.... Don't let it put you off your holiday, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »

If we had a collection for a huge bus to come and put all of the dogs in, then take them on a long drive to the hills and let some other village be responsible for them i will donate the first 10 lire! I will also drive the bus.

I cannot believe that this forum allows such a ridiculous, irresponsible, selfish and downright fatuous statement to be posted. Quite apart from the fact that this woman is openly advocating breaking Turkish law, which is in itself an indictable offence,  where exactly does she imagine dogs dumped in the hills would go? Does it not enter her mind that they would be hungry, would descend on some other village, where out of necessity they would attack chickens, sheep or goats?

Nobody has been attacked in Kalkan.

We don't even outlaw things that HAVE beyond dispute caused injury or death, the most obvious example of course being cars, motor bikes and lorries, which cause upwards of 6000 deaths a year, and around 250,000 serious injuries. Yet here we have suggestions that we should destroy living creatures because they MIGHT cause an injury, or, more likely, because they inconvenience some people.

KAPSA do an amazing job under very difficult circumstances, and without help from the authorities. How exactly they manage to keep going and keep their morale high when this forum constantly allows the same few people to snipe endlessly at them I do not know, but I take my hat off to them.
They are true heroes and heroines - and some of you posters should be hanging your heads in shame for your continuous negative griping and attacks on the few positive, good people who actually DO something to help others and to improve Kalkan.

And now to cap it all, it seems your constant negative postings are having the effect of putting off tourists considering visiting Kalkan.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
Again I reiterate enjoykalkan is here to promote Kalkan, however short of moderating each and every post it is impossible to stop such posts, perhaps those with positive views of Kalkan should post them to balance out the negatives!

If this forum is reducing visitor numbers as opposed increase them it will be pulled, simple!

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »
I don't believe visitor numbers will be affected by a discussion on a forum because 90% visitors probably won't even be aware of the forum. If tourists go to Kalkan and are affected by the dogs then they might not come back and that may in itself reduce visitor numbers. I only had one complaint from people staying at my place and that was for barking dogs. I go back to my earlier comment about bending the ear of the Belediye to get more involved. A couple of people since my comment have more of less said the same thing. If I was a resident I would happily try to get a petition going to present to them. Maybe at one of the KAPSA charity days they could draft a simple petition requesting the help of the Belediye and get everyone to sign up. I know they are well attended.

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
I agree that KAPSA need help from the authorities and would certainly sign the petition to support this.  I also think people would be more likely to donate to KAPSA if they thought the number of street dogs was actually going to be reduced - perhaps the 'dogs home' idea.

Offline Bella

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
I wish to say I agree with "spinal tap's whole post " and with "tiger's" call for action through this Forum.
The subject has been talked to death and becomming rather emotional (particularly on  the posts I I have seen on facebook.
Facebook is NOT the place to put comments on this subject as they are likely to be spread much further abroad than in Enjoy Kalkan. Emotions run high when it comes to Animals, best to say "nowt" when one is enraged.

It would be interesting if investigations could be made re. my suggestion about dogs being used by the Army, Police and Customs.
My friend who veted stray dogs in the UK for this training could make up to £3000 - £4000 per month, not sure if that was before or after expenses, but even so, it could pay for itself, and the dogs would have a good life, at least the UK ones do because when they reach retirement age their handlers look after them, they are not just "put to sleep" It may not be possible to do this in Turkey, but please. lets ask, give it a thorough investigation.
Who knows Kalkan may become a World Leading Authority on what to do with strays, Maybe it could generate sufficient Income to cover the expense of running a "Home" for those dogs who are not suitable candidates.

I am sure I read in Zaman about a year ago that dogs were being bred for this purpose, seems wasteful of resources to me not to use existing animals. 

Lancs

Lancs
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
I can not believe that this  has been allowed to go on condeming the the dogs to a mass cull each and every dog has a name loved by us all that live here.
this is all about villa renting and revenue in their pockets can not believe what i have read
Shall we go on to burglaries which is rife in the season which villa owners do not respond to.
Neither do I like to being kept awake all night by their guests having poolside parties and jumping in the pool at all hours for six months of the year.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
Lancs - several people have come up with constructive ideas so this thread is useful and may lead to some improvement in the plight of the animals. Especially if all can work together to get input from the Belediye. And to be fair it's a holiday destination at the end of the day so if you didn't want tourists around making a noise perhaps you should have chosen another destination. Burglaries are also mentioned quite often but from what I've read the Jandarme are doing a great job.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:05:28 AM by chickengeorge »

Lancs

Lancs
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »
Perhaps you should have chosen another destination if you did not want dogs around ???

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
You should read my posts. I stated I love animals. I didn't say I didn't want any dogs around. They just need to be controlled for the benefit of all including the dogs. This doesn't mean putting them down. I'm quite happy with my choice of destination thanks. But to help you I will request my guests not to party beyond 2am!  :)

Lancs

Lancs
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2011, 01:24:20 AM »
Wasnt wrong was I all about your rentals !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:35 AM »
I don't rent my property to get money in my back pocket. I don't make anything but enough to maintain it so hopefully one day I can spend more time out there myself. Do you have an issue with this?  BTW are there some noisy guests keeping you up now since it's 03:30 there? You should get some sleep in before the season starts  ;)

Lancs

Lancs
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
sorry waiting for guests to arrive we work

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
Not quite sure what that means but your arguments appear to be very lame. I will stick to my original argument that we should help KAPSA get assistance from the Belediye by whatever means.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »
If you look at the postings on this subject - it is usually the same small number of people who comment - without offering any viable or practical solutions

Many are not resident here full time, so only have a snapshot of what the "problem" might actually be

Long term residents here have seen the progress KAPSA have made, as we now do not have starving sick looking animals wandering about which used to be the case in previous years.

The problem now, is not the fitness of the animals, merely their numbers - which is the real problem to be addressed.

KAPSA are doing what they think is the best policy - if anyone, like Wally has a different solution or wants to call a meeting or whatever - don't talk about it - DO IT - do not leave it to others

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
I agree that KAPSA should get assistance in helping with the roaming dogs I don't agree with culling or poisoning them, which does happen, I personally think KAPSA do a FAB job with the winter feeding, helping sick and injured animals and the neutering program. Without them Kalkan animals would be in a mess.

I also agree with Lancs regarding the noise and dis-regard of some of the holiday makers, which when they start early hours in the morning does in fact kick off the dogs barking so it's lose lose situation. There is a lot of people who live in the villa's all year round and work
           The dogs some times actually help regarding the burglaries We have our regular street dogs roaming and they actually put off any strangers they don't know. They only really bark when they either don't reconise people or when other dogs come on their turf. So having roaming street dogs are some times a good thing, they are actually protecting us. Maybe that's the answer we need to respect the dogs that actually roam near our homes, give them a bit of love ,some food and in turn they will look after us......
           The situation here in Kalkan shouldn't put any one off in coming here for a holiday it's really far better then most holiday resorts. We have well feed and in most cases really lovable dogs. It's the same if you think about it with humans you always find some mean nasty people in amongs us. The only difference is that you don't want to cull them like you do the dog's....
Personally give me barking dogs any day against stupid half drunk idiots who wants to skinny dip at 3 in the morning shouting abuse to any one who ask's them to be quiet. And believe me that goes on quite a lot during the summer months..................................
I would like to add a BIG WELL DONE TO KAPSA regarding the amount of money they raised last Sunday. It was a great day and the atmosphere was Brill................. A good family (including the street dogs) day

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Responsible Dog owners

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 03:15:44 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
ANOTHER QUESTİON TO OWNERS THAT RENT OUT OT TO HOTEL OWNERS

Started by Random on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 07:06:49 PM
by MartynE
xx
We are also 1st season owners

Started by BeyazGül Apt. on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 11:13:40 AM
by brian j p
recycled
Apartment owners

Started by mark on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 10:07:30 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal