Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Responsible Dog owners  (Read 52364 times)

Offline lindyloubluecat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Responsible Dog owners
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
A responsible dog owner as everybody knows is one that is responsible for it's own dog. The dog is kept in the house as a pet (if you are English), it is walked on a lead, fed, treated for fleas ticks etc, and vaccinated. If it barks it comes in!
It is NOT running around loose, fowling in any garden it chooses, sitting all over my outside furniture,  barking it's brains out all night, chasing cars, chasing scooters, pestering people who are trying to eat a meal out in a resturant, fighting in the street, attacking any dog it sees on a lead or trying to bite anybody that trys in vain to shoo them away as not everybody likes dogs or are scared of dogs. Most aren't vaccinated and are running alive with ticks and fleas. They all are filthy and getting bigger and bigger!
For the 2nd time in as many weeks i was out with my dog on his lead and once again was attacked. 4 dogs with "an owner" off the lead tried to rip mine to shreads. I carry a stick which i had to use to defend the dog before letting him off the lead so he had a better chance of escape. The beating did discourage the dogs and mine ran off and hid screaming his head off. This sort of thing is now common place as there are so many dogs now in Kalkan.
I went into town 3 times in one day this week but at the bottom of the hill everytime there were at least 6 big dogs wondering about looking for trouble. I have to return home because i don't want to get into a huge battle with the dogs.
I can't go to the beach or for nice walks with my dog as there are too many dogs off the leads wanting to tear him apart.
Why am i and my dog being punished.
Too many people are dumping huge great dogs in Kalkan because they know they get fed and spayed. This is a major problem and before i get jumped on from a great height, i only hope that it's not one of your family that gets attacked by one of these animals. KAPSA need to get onto the Mayor or council and address these problems properly and quickly as somebody WILL get hurt.
If we had a collection for a huge bus to come and put all of the dogs in, then take them on a long drive to the hills and let some other village be responsible for them i will donate the first 10 lire! I will also drive the bus.
If you own a dog BE RESPONSIBLE for it! I homed a street dog but as far as i can see it causes me nothing but trouble whenever i walk out the door!
Instead of paying to get them done just give them the one jab and send it up to doggie heaven. They won't know a thing about it!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7630.0

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Responsible Dog owners
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Well said, that person!!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
Here here, and well said.  Lets be honest about this subject once and for all. The (stray) dog situation in Kalkan is totally out of control and needs sorting before someone gets badly hurt, if not worse, by these dangerous - 'cause thats what they are - dogs.   A car accident caused, somehow, by a dog / dogs is in the post !   I had a near miss only last Nov, luckly, no one was hurt, including the dog !, just some very shaken up passengers  ;)

KASPA ( I only know what I read ) by all accounts do a great job, well done to all involved.......but sadly its not working, you only have to walk from Kalamar Bay to say, the harbour, to realise how out of control this is.  I know some (dog loving) Kalkan old timers will tell me 'how bad it was'' or its much better since / before KASPA was founded and it prob is, but that fact does not mean we should all just say "we know its bad, but its better than it was".  That does not wash anymore. I dont know the answer, I just know it needs sorting FAST.

Please lets try not to get upset because someone has raised this topic again, lets try to debate it with clear heads and respect for other peoples veiws, you never know 'EnjoyKalkan' may come up with the answer  ;)

They are quite simply, a blight on Kalkan.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
Kalamar Dream - by your own admission in your post "all you know about Kapsa is what you read".   
It is a bit like saying all you know about the atrocities going on in the world is what you read!
What are YOU doing about it to help, be it humans or animals?  It is very easy to pontificate, not so easy to come up with a rational solution.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Maryjane, All we all know is what we read (except the few directly involved) but we all have views and opinions. The majority of visitors to Kalkan and to this board are Brits living in Britain. Fact. We go there for a holiday. It really shouldn't be our responsibility to solve the Kalkan dog problem. Surely the responsibility should be that of the Belediye?
Like Kalamar Dream says, the issue needs be debated sensibly and calmly.
If nothing changes then some people will vote with their feet and holiday elsewhere.
Just my opinion.......................... but first hand experience of the walk from Kalamar bay to town has not always been good so I'd like to think that my opinion matters.
PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline MouMou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
I sympathise entirely with the posts regarding the dogs.  Last week I went up to the market and was subjected to a very large dog jumping up at me and nearly knocking me over, the dog scratched my arm badly. I did not look at it or call to it,  I was merely passing by. I am not usually afraid of dogs but this one scared the hell out of me.  The only way I could get rid of it was to drop my shopping bag, it was worth the 5 lira I had spent to distract it.  Meanwhile the male turkish owner was very amused by the situation and did not attempt to call his dog to task.  Not all english/tourists are happy to be followed by large dogs everytime they step of of the door.  I have made donations and supported Kapsa, but I agree something needs to be done, and soon before a child or adult is seriously injured.  Why is it, when someone brings something up on this forum, it is always followed by someone else having a dig at them?

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
Maryjane, this is a forum so its purpose is for people to express their views or 'portificate' !

Clearly the policy of KAPSA of winter feeding doesn't work as there is an increasing dog population in Kalkan. People outside Kalkan are encouraged to dump their dogs here, increasing it still further. Now there is a real problem in the town that the authorities have to deal with.

I have been in Kalkan for the last few weeks and, compared to last year, I regret to say that the problem is far worse.

As noticable, especially at night and all night, is the incessent noise made by the dog's barking in the centre of town, down the Kalamar road and in the Kiziltas area.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
This subject has been done to death - if you typed 'dogs' into the forum search facility, EK might implode.  The situation has become a bit worse this year, but, in my view, concerned posters just expressing a concern about is fine.  If anyone had a solution to the problem, now or years ago, I would hope that it would have taken board and acted upon.

Just like the atrocities around the world, about which we all care, this is probably best left to the appropriate authorities, be that KAPSA and Kalkan Belediye or the United Nations (not a comparison I ever expected to make).  The more comment there is about the problem, the more likely it is that the search for a solution will continue/gather momentum - imagine a group of American tourists visiting Trafalgar Square a few years back - I doubt they would have known how to control the pigeons, but their comments drove the local authorıty to take action.  I care about the fate of innocent dogs but also about those that are responsible dog owners or feel their holidays are spoiled by the strays and their noise or threatening behaviour or packing.  No, I don't have a solution, any more than I can suggest one for the situation in Libya, Yemen etc, but I feel that a forum about Kalkan is a good ... forum on which to express whatever views you have about Kalkan, positive/negative, open-ended or complete.  Any mention of a cull would still be hugely inappropriate, unless of course applied to Gaddafi's regime.....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:58:52 PM by Enişte »

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
What a well informed opinion Eniste! 8) 8) 8)

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
But is anyone going to do anything about it ? or will we in a years time be moaning about an even worse situation... or reporting a serious injury to a child..... Kapsa, you have been warned.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »

Funny thing is if it was beggers in the streets they would be moved on very quickly because its dogs we get all wooly and fluffy about it..... funny old world we live in  :) :)

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
There are now a lot of people complaining about all the dogs in Kalkan, and sides are being taken. An article on .,.,.,., barking dogs was locked out by E K. The census on the subject did not appear on K T L N. It's quite obvious that Kapsa intends to continue with it's Winter Feeding Programme and it has a major fund raising event coming up soon. The English must be the laughing stock in all the outlying villages where we have solved their stray dog problems for them! So what to do about it? This is something that the full time residents must get involved in. May I make a few suggestions. Make up some posters and picket the fund raising event. Get it photographed and put it on the Internet. Most peoples phones now have the ability to take video pictures, take some of the dog packs and publish in the same way. Try to get some action pictures of the dogs chasing vehicles or worrying people. Take the cameras with you to the ground floor restaurants. I know that the English don't usually go in for this sort of thing but it's quite obvious that writing about the problem is acheiving nothing, and you can't expect people who are not there to help, although those who are there at the time can. Let's shame them into doing something!

Offline Kalkankiwi

• KK
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
Are people aware that Turkey is classed as being a high risk country for RABIES. I remember that rabies was found in a dog in Fethiye last year.Dogs can be carriers of rabies for up to six months before they show any symptoms. The virus is carried in the saliva and once bitten by an infected animal its almost always fatal unless the person is immunised against the disease.
A work college of mine was in Istanbul a month ago and got bitten, an unprovoked attack by a dog. She received a dose of Rabies vaccination in Istanbul but on return to the UK two days later the Health Protection Agency advised that she get treated urgently with rabies immunoglobalin as her risk was so high. I had the task of infiltrating her wound with five injections of immunoglobalin( these are rabies antibodies as opposed to the rabies vaccine which is 100% effective but must be given pre exposure to be effective).

I was in Kalkan last week and this experience certainly made more aware of the risks we could be exposed to with the increasing dog population. My children and I just didnt go around patting the dogs as usual, we just ignored them but that was what my collegue was doing and she was attacked.Maybe the authorities should approach this issue from a health and safety point of view.
KK

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:24 AM »
Hi,

I just wanted to pick up on a comment there - Sides are not being taken, the only reason a barking dogs thread was locked on EK was because the subject at times is repeated over and over again. It is not a case of taking sides as I believe many people have had their say on this forum, it is a case of not turning a discussion into a "he said she said" style topic.

Offline zola

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
Well said Dellbar, it could be a start, the camera doesn't lie and then the problem can no longer be ignored.
I have worked in quarantine in the UK and yes Turkey isn't for FACT rabies free it was always a higher risk country and i can assure you one bite from a rabbid dog and i would make sure your affairs are well and truly in order!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »

Just a question .....can dogs be vaccinated against catching / developing rabies and if so do KAPSA do this when the dog is neutered or spayed, before being released in the village?

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
Before anyone has a go at me I am a responsible dog owner and love my rescued pets unconditionally.  I have donated to and supported KAPSA and will continue to do so but I think the answer lies in humane euthanisia for stray street dogs that cannot be rehomed (which is what happens in the UK) and neutering dogs that are owned.  Responsible ownership should also be enforced and pets should be kept at home or on a lead and not let out to wander about.   No owned dog should be allowed to bark incessantly at night and any owner who allows this should have to pay a fine.  This is just my own view of how to deal with the problem but I am sure I will incur the wrath of many for saying it.

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
Just come back this morning from a week in Kalkan, and have had first hand experience of the situation. Barking dogs at all hours of the evening/morning are just the tip of the iceberg. I walked across the carpark in the town centre first thing one morning to get a paper. One dog lolloped up to me and I thought nothing of it, until it was joined one by one with seven others. This is where it turned nasty and one dog nipped at my shorts with two others growling and all of them surrounding me. Now I'm a well built guy and can handle myself quite well I think, however even I was very worried at this stage as to whether the situation would get worse!, I kept moving and reached the comparitive safety of the main road, with other humans around the dogs dispersed.
However I feel if things were different and I was a child or someone 'less dominant' and had froze then things could have turned out very nasty indeed. My partner saw the next morning an old local woman having to defend herself by throwing rocks at these dogs the very next day.
Something very nasty is ging to happen one day unless these dogs are treated like they are here. Round them up if loose and if they are not claimed then put them up for adoption, if no one comes forward then have them put down. Any repeat offences of letting a dog roam loose should be met with fines.
Get this done before a tragedy occurs, don't be wiser after the event.
Kalkan..........just ONE of the places we'll have a villa when we win the Euromillions!
Not a full time resident, but getting there!!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
The rare times that my dogs exit on a lead from our fenced-in garden, I carry pepper spray and a supply of large stones to defend them from bigger dogs.  But mostly we do not want to take the chance so no longer take them anywhere in town.

I believe that in many countries dogs roaming the streets are taken to the dog pound, and if not claimed or adopted within a reasonable time, they are given a lethal injection.  Am I wrong?

As much as I've always had dogs and love dogs, it appears that no one has an alternative solution.  Thus, I have to agree with Kalkanbelle and MerseyDave.  This is a serious accident waiting to happen.  Sooner or later it will.  And then?

KAPSA has tried very hard, their efforts are commendable.  They got much more than they bargained for I'm sure.  But the best efforts of Kapsa will not be enough to solve this problem.  The alternative is a huge fund donated by some animal lover that would permit someone to buy a farm far, far away from any inhabited area and take with her / him / them all the hundreds of dogs.  Until then ...

Note:  many of the barking dogs are kept by Turkish businesses along the Akbel road as protection for their stores and wares.  These dogs bark all night long.  Do you think they will pay a fine because their dogs bark :(
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:21:57 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
This is worrying and it must be time for a cull of all stray dogs...its a fact that you can kill strays faster than they can breed...all tagged dogs still found roaming should be impounded and if unclaimed and a fine paid destroyed......its not pleasant killing the dogs but having seen this done in the Middle East it worked in the end.....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:47:03 PM by misty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Responsible Dog owners

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 03:15:44 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
ANOTHER QUESTİON TO OWNERS THAT RENT OUT OT TO HOTEL OWNERS

Started by Random on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 07:06:49 PM
by MartynE
xx
Owners Direct - Help!

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 10:23:17 PM
by hobbo
xx
1st Season as Owners

Started by Kalkan Gems on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 06:13:47 AM
by Haybo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Alison and Paul

Views: 708
By: alisonh
Kalkan street