Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Early reviews . . .  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Early reviews . . .
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
We're already compiling our list of 'must eats' for when we come in May . . . but can some of you early birds post an indication of what's good, what's bad and what's indifferent for 2011, please?
Particularly if any of you have ventured into any of the new places . . .

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7573.0

Offline Black Pearl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Early reviews . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
Hello there
  I live in kalkan and  Im  Turkish  You will have great time and one of the best hospitality....I got a place but Im not going to recommemnd just my place where ever you  go will have  fantastic meal....Dont worry you will not have bad meal or you wont get dissapointed...have great holiday

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
Thanks Black Pearl . . . we have so many favourite places in Kalkan and you are right - they are all good!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
We shall be there early June and we're already discussing were we will be eating this year!! We will go back to the 3 we ate at last year but have a few new ones we want to try this year as well. So many restaurants so liitle time!!!! Look forward to the first reviews coming in!!
Nicky

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
We have just returned from a week in Kalkan, we got to quite a few restaurants so here is our "early review"

Kaya: we made two visits both times it was as good as ever and the prices which used to seem a little high are now about average

Aubergine: food good but not exceptional, prices have crept up again this year. Overall considering the setting its still ok value but hard to get excited about.

Rose (formally Extinct): This used to be our favorite restaurant in Kalkan, so Rose had a lot to live up to. It didn't manage it, food was good but service very haphazard; obviously very early days so hopefully it will improve.

Ali Babas:  Same as ever, decent food at very reasonable prices (great for take aways and does free home delivery)

However, the real star of the week was Tlos in Patara (turn right into Patara village and its about 20m on your left).  Five of us had a  superb lunch of:

bread, butter, yogurt and cheese (all home made) 
                                             tomato soup
                                             cheese borak (huge and the best we have ever had)
                                             peppers stuffed with rice and pine nuts
                                             moussaka
                                             chicken Kebabs
                                             Rice, Chips, Salad
                                             Turkish coffees

All of the food was excellent way better than Aubergine and the quantities were huge, we didn't need a dinner that night.  The biggest surprise was the bill, when it came I read 585TL and thought that's pretty steep for lunch but then saw a decimal point and realised that the bill was actually a scarcely credible 58.5TL, less than £5 a head.

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
Here at the moment and have had lovely meals at our favourite places: Trio, Sofra, Mahmut's in Islamlar.

But pleased to recommend a new place: Aqua Cafe has opened this week in Kalamar (close to Cafe Vita) and we had a lovely lunch there yesterday. There's a good variety of lunch/dinner meals on the menu ( choose from pizza, burgers, salads, kebabs, omelettes, sandwiches etc etc) and the pasta dishes we chose were fresh and tasty- and ample portion sizes! The coffee was good too! Once it's fully up and running, we think it will be a real asset to the area. We have  friends with children staying this summer and the menu is definitely teenager- friendly! The breakfast menu looks good too with a choice of English or Turkish options. The idea is that a cocktail bar will open for the season and this could be a handy place to stop on the way into town (or coming back!) for some liquid refreshment! Good luck to Yusuf and his team on their new venture.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:45 AM »
Alantj...you have found a treasure!! TLOS......  Osman has been one of our favourites for many years excellent food and reasonable as you say.....no alcohol but worth it for good food ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline virgin mary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
Another good place which we found this year (although its been there for 2 years!) is Parc Kalkan.

The food was lovely, and surprisingly a very turkish menu at reasonable prices!
The best bit had to be the play ground area which kept our kids occupied. We will definatly be going back there!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
No surprise to anyone, I can fully endorse the recommendation of Parc.  For a relaxed drink, a hearty meal or one of the many special events they organise (quizzes, themed nights, major sporting events), this is a star venue.  Great staff, good music and reasonable prices, plus free wi-fi and a kids' area and lounging area.  Two successful years already and many more to come, maşallah!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:40:13 PM by Enişte »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
Just to add a few more - the opening evenings for Rami's and the Ali Baba up by the greengrocers were excellent occasions.  Also hearing very good things about Hünkar Ocakbası, the new cafe just up on the left from the Kalamar road roundabout.  Finally, I can heartily recommend the döner sandwiches from Sultan, just in front of the post office and from Kalkan Döner, down the hill from Yalı bar and next to Diana hairdressers.

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
I'd like to know if any of you have been to the Ephesus restaurant . . .  it used to be the Sun Terrace. Anyone tried it yet?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
Kalkan Doner was a particular favourite of BH's last year, good to hear its still there ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
Baggy

Ephesus Restaurant has been opened by Abdullah along with his colleague both of whom were working at Ottoman House. Abo has worked at Ottoman for about last 7 years. I was invited in by him the other evening and decided to have a selection of mixed meze (mainly hot). It was fairly standard but looking at the rest of his menu it may be worth giving it a try for dinner.

It's early days and Abo is trying very hard, and would welcome any positive criticism (if there is any criticism), and I wish him well in his new business.

Rosie

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Thanks Rosie - I have to admit to an ulterior motive for wanting news of Ephesus as i translated Abdullah's menus for him. He certainly has been working hard and I'm really looking forward to seeing it for myself in a couple of week's time. I'm not so much looking forward to seeing the menus, though . . . much to-ing and fro-ing with the printers and I never got to see the finished article . . ..  :-\

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »
Many thanks for that - will be sure to check it out in July  :) And good luck to them.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »
Had the best meal so far this trip last night at Kalamaki. Lamb tandir. Very tender and tasty.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »
Hi,
Not a bad meal in the fortnight. Both Mossakkas, Kosk, Pisces and Gironda stood out. Long wait in Kalamaki, but the food was very good when it came. No Aubergine or Trio but back in June.
Rx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant reviews - who do you believe?

Started by Alfaman on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 06:26:03 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Reviews from a first timer

Started by LizS on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 10:47:37 PM
by Chucky
xx
Still getting great reviews

Started by misty on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 08:36:57 PM
by misty
xx
Customs House - any reviews

Started by sarahm on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 04:57:42 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Coffee Bar

Views: 4273
By: zros
Good times!