Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Walking distances - The truth, the whole truth and nuffin but da truth  (Read 6737 times)

Offline slimboyfat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No

We are thinking of going to Kalkhan for a third visit but this time trying another part of the area, staying near Villa Mahal. We read many reports on walking distances especially 15-20 mins to the Kalkhan shopping/scoffing areas. We really suspect that the 20 mins is to the end of the beach after abseiling down the mini cliff bit. ;D

You can guess we have been to the area before and believe the 15-20 walk is not possible without having a lung transplant or being kissed up the kyber by a lorry.(or is it a jog/sprint?) So how about an accurate walking distance please. PLUS, do you have to really touch the D400 during this walk/sprint/jog/abseil/parachute as has been mentioned to us recently, or can you go across waste ground, through complexes, etc?  ::)

We are aware there is a boat service (free?)  but only till 7pm hence coming home bladdered is a long swim.  :'(

Do cabs run a season ticket service?  :angel:

Is there an Iron Lung facilities halfway up the hill?  ;)

Seriously, all truthfuly answers greatfully recvd.  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6691.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
hi slimboyfat, you are indeed correct in saying that a 15-20 minute walk to Kalkan from Villa Mahal is only doable if you are sprinting...! From next year, hopefully, the service road that runs from the Dere development in Kalkan to Kisla via Patara Prince and Komurluk will be complete so you won't have to walk up to the D400. I would imagine there will still be a steep climb out of Kisla and possibly PPR, but I'm not entirely sure the route the service road will take. Perhaps if you check out the information on KTLN you will get a better idea - they had some detailed plans on the roadworks earlier this year.
www.turkishlocalnews.com

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
It's a shame you haven't had too many replies to this as thousands of people must know this journey. I guess it's not wanting to be negative on here that puts people off answering you
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Dear Slimboyfat - a very good post and straight to the point!   Not too many replies yet, but a lot of people are still probably out of breath after tackling the obstacle course.   I would not at this stage advise taking short cuts over unknown territory, my colleage ended up in a storm drain trying to do the same thing!  Luckily no damage to her or the drain! :)

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Yes it's a 30 min walk into town as things are at the moment.
As well as the beach club boat there is now a dolmus service 1.5 tl a trip this year. It runs from Kisla to Kalamar via the bus station and harbour. It leaves Kisla on the hour every hour from 9:00-13:00, then again from 17:00 - 21:00. Returns from the harbour hourly from 9:20-13:20 and again from 17:20-20:20.
After that I think a taxi is about 14 tl.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Walking distances - The truth, the whole truth and nuffin but da truth
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
We have a villa at Patara Prince and walk into town most evenings. It takes us 20 minutes, probably from where you will be 25 to 30 mins. Once the road works are completed it will be easier, this year wasn't the easiest. You will need a taxi back it cost us TL9 before midnight  from the taxi rank to the entrance of Patara Prince.

This year in August because of the intense heat/humidity we did get the boat across more than we walked but this was unusual.

As long as you regard it as a stroll it is doable and once at the top of the road out of Kisla it is downhill/flat. We didn't see the new dolmus service this year but it would certainly be worth using if you don't fancy the walk!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
We are also at PPR and looking forward to the new road to make it a quieter walk into Kalkan center. I dont think its any longer walking from PPR as it is from Kalamar Road etc - at least you dont get chased back by dogs  ;D

On a serious note the hardest part of the walk for us is from the house up the Spanish Steps at PPR :)

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
If you go onto google maps and put your from and to  positions it will tell you how far it is and roughly how long it will take by car or walking.

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
We are also at PPR and looking forward to the new road to make it a quieter walk into Kalkan center. I dont think its any longer walking from PPR as it is from Kalamar Road etc - at least you dont get chased back by dogs  ;D

On a serious note the hardest part of the walk for us is from the house up the Spanish Steps at PPR :)

OOohh dear, just a little bit of disinformation here! Bearing in mind Kalamar Road stretches from the roundabout to Kalamar, precisely which bit are you comparing it with? And as to PPR are you judging that from the bottom, and including the Spanish steps, or the top, or the main road.
As to being "chased" by dogs, I have walked Kalamar both ways and at many times of day and night and never once been chased by dogs. Accompanied by one or two who seem to enjoy walking with someone, but not chased.
Please try to keep things factual and lets not try to scare people away. All parts of Kalkan have plus and minus points and can be enjoyed for what they are.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Caradog

Why do you think accusing someone of disinformation for giving their view on a topic is warranted, most posts are about perceptions, not facts.

For example our villa is up by the Samira Deluxe, which depending on our guestbook is either an "welcome walk that helps work off dinner"  or "impossible unless you run triathlons for fun"; both facts honestly given but different.

Likewise with the dogs you and I might be accompanied on the way home, my wife is worried and annoyed, my daughter is chased and scared. 

It would be more useful, or should I to to adopt your manner, say "honest" if you just gave your point of view, rather than unfairly criticising other peoples views.

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
Sorry alantj, but I simply don't have a "point of view" about the dogs. I was merely stating a fact that in 5 years I have never been chased by one. I hate to be dwell on semantics, but similarly I don't have a point of view about the walk either. I was questioning the posters statement that PPR is no further to walk than Kalamar Road.
You and I may well know both areas. unfortunately a lot of people who do not know Kalkan depend on this site for "facts" (or at least interpret some of the "opinions" as facts), and may well conclude that reaching Kalamar road will take as long to get to as PPR. That's simply not the case. Parts of Kalamar road may take longer, others are far nearer; that's not a perception but a fact. Which is precisely why I asked what I did. Sorry to cause offence, I try not to get involved in this site too much but there we go!

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
Re: Walking distances - The truth, the whole truth and nuffin but da truth
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
Hi,
Stayed with friends in Kisla this year and was dreading the walk in to town, even in October. Was pleasantly suprised. The hard bit was up to PPR from close to the Beach Club. It took 30minutes to town centre. Used the mini bus in the evenings due ladies footwear, let down a few times. Taxi back after midnight was expensive. Still its your holiday, do what you like and enjoy. I liked it in that area, for a change, but prefer where we are. Each to their own.
Rx

Offline slimboyfat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
If you go onto google maps and put your from and to  positions it will tell you how far it is and roughly how long it will take by car or walking.

Fansk Wendy but as you know, maps that guesstimate distances and time, cannot possibly know that I am a sixteen stone beefcake, Milk Tray man lookalike. ;D It may be 15 mins for someone of my fitness and stamina, but if I was a bloated old fool with love handles the size of air bags it would come up with another figure entirely  :'(

Offline slimboyfat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Thanks to all who replied. Very grateful.

I can understand the requirement to obtain a return on the investment, but 15-20 mins walk from some Villa owners we have spoken to to/read about, is just not doable. As for walking along the D400, no thanks its bad enough in a car with some of the driving e have seen and we do not wish to come home in a long box. (although actually for me, might be more comfortable than the airplane seats!) ;D

This year it was very hot when we visited. Not complaining as just how we like it. We do like a stroll to eat in the evenings but do not really wish to arrive at the restaurants and have to wring your clobber out into the nearest glass, the waiter might add wine to it Mmmmm  yummy!  :-[

I also like to leave my abseiling gear at work at holiday time when not in the SAS er hem!  :angel:

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
I think if you can afford Villa Mahal then a taxi home every night will be a very small percentage of your total holiday cost, it won't help with the expanding waistline though.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Kalkan regular, slimboyfat says he's thinking of staying near Villa Mahal not at it.....! So the taxi cost might well be a bigger percentage than you think :) . Slimboyfat...your post did make me laugh..the heat can be horribly oppressive in August....don't let it put you off staying in Kisla - the views are wonderful, hopefully the dolmus will continue and the new service road (as opposed to the D400) might well be a good option for you when it comes to walking home.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Adverts - Distances

Started by Legionaire on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 01:11:04 PM
by kalcougar
xx
Walking

Started by dearsley on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 02:11:30 PM
by dearsley
xx
Walking on Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

62 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 06:32:32 AM
by Buster
xx
Walking on the Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 11:03:07 AM
by M n M

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kaya Restaurant

Views: 10398
By: alisonh
Patara Beach