Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Adverts - Distances  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Adverts - Distances
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:29:28 AM »
Is it just me or are others annoyed with some of the descriptions in the accommodation adverts?
I plugged in old town on the search for a villa/apartment, lots come up, Kalamar(!), Kisla(!) mountains(!) etc etc.
Some say a 5/10/15 minute gentle stroll in to town, I look at the photo's and the harbour is a speck in the distance!
A lot also say no car or taxi required!
Yes if your Usain Bolt's fitness coach but for most it will be a struggle!
Maybe just me.......................... :angel:

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7248.0
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: Adverts - Distances
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »
No, it is not just you!!  Unless you have been to Kalkan, it can be misleading.  I agree with your comments " a gentle 5/10/15 minute stroll into town" - nowhere have I seen mentioned that it is like climbing the north face of the Eiger upon return to villa/hotel!  Do not get me wrong, I am a Kalkan addict and adore it, but I think a bit more honesty might not come amiss!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »
Maryjane,

Sounds daft but its hard trying to be honest, our villa is near the Samira De Luxe Walking by myself I timed it as 10min walk into town, 15 mins with wife and 6yr old daughter. Coming back its a still uphill walk but for me, 50+ and more than a few pounds overweight, not too bad.

However comments in our guest book range from "no problem" and  "just right for working off a bit of your dinner" to "don't even attempt it unless you are an olympic athlete" 

So in an attempt to be honest I describe it as a 10-15min walk into town but a stiff uphill walk back and suggest that some people will prefer to take a 9-10TL taxi ride.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
At no time did I suggest dishonesty, and I apologise if anyone takes offence.   I know your part of the world well, every villa we have rented has been near or slightly above the Samira De Luxe - the views are worth the pain!  I am over 50 (do not tell anyone!) - overweight(not personally)  due to the fact that  we are always carrying large quantities of Efes and local wine!  One evening last year, the local police offered us a lift back to villa, we politely declined, but how nice!  We had decided to dispense with a taxi that night - big mistake!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
I agree with all the posts here. What is a 15 minute walk for us, might be a 25 minute walk to someone else and I do think the time it takes to walk into town varies, depending on the time of year. I wouldn't walk at our normal pace in August, for example, otherwise we'd arrive in the centre of Kalkan like we'd ran a marathon - minus the appropriate sportswear ;D ;D
The best way to check, as a first timer is to post the question on here about distance and take a general consensus of the replies. As regular visitors, we check out potential accomodation for our next visit whilst we are there.
Some letting sites have an option to pinpoint the accomodation on a google map - very useful! I think all owners who are happy to rent out their accomodation should use this facility wherever possible so the potential guest can make their own decision regarding the walking distance to town....and anyway where does "town" start ???
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
when giving my estimates on time for walks i always give it to the top of the village Kaya roundabout because that where i usually stop for a refeshment break....i walk slowly because i have little legs so am always generous on time scales...anyway whos in a hurry in Kalkan???????? ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Ha, ha BL! Precisely - I walk fast without realising and usually I'm trying to keep up with BH who is always in a hurry to get into town for an Efes  ;)
Where does town start if you're coming from Kisla/PPR/Komurluk then :)? Luka restaurant? Personally I don't think we're in town when we come in from that direction until I get to the bottom of the steps where Istanbul used to be and I can see Mehmet standing outside Sofra ;D ;D. We're staying up by Emir when we're back in August, so I'll take Kaya as my "start of town" point - bowing to your superior knowledge :-*

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »
Good replies all but I did state "Old town" in my semi rant..... ;D
Distance does not change, fitness, age, physical ability, routes certainly effects wether it takes you longer or if you want to attempt at all!
When looking for a villa or apartment despite what I put in the "advanced search" I always look for a photo that shows the view, that really (apart from asking on here or the owner) is the only way to assess how far the site actually is from the old town, beach, harbour etc.
I have even searched under Kalkan and had properties in Kas appear!
Still going though, and we have booked a villa that is definately (fingers crossed) close to the old town! ;D

Offline kalcougar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »
People will always use a bit of artistic licence when describing things......if its a 20 minute walk they will say 10-15 ours is nearly half an hour and that what I tell people  :)

Bit like personal adverts on dating sites....bubbly = large waiting for the right person = desperate and lonely  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Adverts on the site.

Started by cleworthallray on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 08:45:04 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
Walking distances - The truth, the whole truth and nuffin but da truth

Started by slimboyfat on Accommodation and Hotels

15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 09:57:12 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Dalyan Delta

Views: 3546
By: blondie
Antalya 2010