Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Access to villas above The Samira Deluxe  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Access to villas above The Samira Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
I was just wondering what people actually think of the 'improvements' to the D400 now that it is taking its final shape.
We did not stay in Kalkan this year, but visited for the day. I have to say that I was stunned at the way the hillside has been carved out above the old town, we nearly bought a villa just above the D400 a few years ago, it now has at least a 100ft sheer drop in front of it, and what was a relatively easy route into town has now more than doubled in length. Very glad we did not buy!! I felt that the 'new' road has cut the town into two halves, an upper new town and the lower timeless old town.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
Pete,

I thınk ıt wıll make lıttle dıfference, lıke most people we are far enough back to see or hear the new road and the recent concretıng of the roads above the D400 actually makes the walk ınto town easıer for us.

Regards

Alan

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
Digi_Dave
Re your last post - oh dear!  Some newcomers to this forum might read and believe it!   Where do we go from here?   Def. not across the D400, or even try!
Am staying in a villa above Samira in September, will bring earplugs, mountaineering equipment and not one pair of stiletto's!
As if!  Am a Kalkan returnee, so know the place well.

Good Luck. It really is a great place. Honest.

I will be back

BTW  I chucked my stilletos at the man driving the bulldozer.!!!!!   ;D
If hard work was such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it for themselves?

Offline Chris B

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Hi Every one

I have been reading these posts regarding access around the samira deluxe with interest as I have booked my son and his mate in to the Samira we will be in Kalkan in a couple of weeks time myself and the rest of us two teenage boys and my wife will be staying in a new apartment the "patio apartments "

I was wondering if any one can tell me can the lads now walk in to town or is it like crossing the M1 also if any one knows where the patio apartments are is it easy to walk to the Samira Deluxe from there as i will be keeping a eye on them

for what its worth if i had booked a place for £1300 I would be a bit put out if was in the middle of a building site actually reading these posts I think I could have booked two places in the middle of building site

Thanks

Chris B

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
Hi Every one

I have been reading these posts regarding access around the samira deluxe with interest as I have booked my son and his mate in to the Samira we will be in Kalkan in a couple of weeks time myself and the rest of us two teenage boys and my wife will be staying in a new apartment the "patio apartments "

I was wondering if any one can tell me can the lads now walk in to town or is it like crossing the M1 also if any one knows where the patio apartments are is it easy to walk to the Samira Deluxe from there as i will be keeping a eye on them

for what its worth if i had booked a place for £1300 I would be a bit put out if was in the middle of a building site actually reading these posts I think I could have booked two places in the middle of building site

Thanks

Chris B

Chris

Without opening another can of worms this is how we saw it from 25th June to 10th July:

From Samira Apartments you can go across the new road at your own risk. It was shut in out first week and we walked along it up to the new roundabout and turned right into the town. Even though it was shut, cars, bilkes still used it. We found it a long way to use from our Villa so only did it once.  From out Villa they were concreting the new bit by  Archelik Bike shop but it was still a steep drop down from our villa. The concrete was better than the hardcore that made walking in stilettos awkward. I had to help the wifey down this bit when it was hardcore every night as very dodgy.  After you get across this bit, you cross the new main road. Sometimes lights are on and sometime off so along with no pavement, dodgy.  When you get across to the Petrol Station it has a very wide entrance so der der dodgy again. You could of course cross to the opposite side of the road at Achelik bike shop and take your chances on the islands with no pavement and the odd pack of dogs. The dogs seem friendly but if your kids are sacred of dogs, then this is ....er hem......dodgy.  Pavement seems scarce along this bit unless they have built some in the last week. I doubt it.

Coupled with 3 on a scooter or 2 on a scooter with no lights and three bags of spuds on the front (yes true)  you dice with death IMHO going along this way. Some bikes have lights some do not.

The safest way is a taxi at about a fiver a shot. We diced with death going down and taxied back as I am a postie and not worried about hills but am on holiday and don’t do hills on holiday. Especially after several  EFES.to dampen the noise!  :P

Now we will see the Villa owners on here screaming and wailing at me again  so here is an alternative just for them:

It’s safe as house and the easiest walk you will ever do. It’s a breeze and you won’t even see any traffic. It’s also very quiet in the area  and bulldozers are a rarity.

The samira is great on sat night so take the lads to see the belly dancer. Great staff too and you can crawl home without hills  ::)

Tut Ta and have a nice time   ;)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:45:49 PM by digi_dave »

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
Hello Chris,

I am sıttıng ın the Samira now, typing this after walking up from town with my wife and 9 year old daugter. We usually do this twice a day (despıte having a hire car sat outside our villa) just to try and work off some of the excess food we are eating.

It is definitely a stiff uphill walk in the heat but quite doable if you are even moderately fit, our daughter has managed it since she was five.

Crossing the D400 is not a problem, as although it really is about the size of the M25 at present there is very little traffic on it. 

I was quite worried about digi_daves post as our villa is close to the Samıra and we had let it out to a family at the same time as he was in Kalkan; and were relieved to see their comments in our guest book -in summary they had a great time, great location, great villa and no mention of noisy bulldozers, barking dogs, or problems with access to town.

Re the Samıra itself, to me the food seems pretty reasonably priced. The only re-occurrıng problem we have heard of there are disputes over the size of the bar bill at the end of the week. This may of course just be people forgetting how much they drank over a week but it might still be a good idea to settle up each night.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Regards

Alan 

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
Hello Chris,

I am sıttıng ın the Samira now, typing this after walking up from town with my wife and 9 year old daugter. We usually do this twice a day (despıte having a hire car sat outside our villa) just to try and work off some of the excess food we are eating.

It is definitely a stiff uphill walk in the heat but quite doable if you are even moderately fit, our daughter has managed it since she was five.

Crossing the D400 is not a problem, as although it really is about the size of the M25 at present there is very little traffic on it. 

I was quite worried about digi_daves post as our villa is close to the Samıra and we had let it out to a family at the same time as he was in Kalkan; and were relieved to see their comments in our guest book -in summary they had a great time, great location, great villa and no mention of noisy bulldozers, barking dogs, or problems with access to town.

Re the Samıra itself, to me the food seems pretty reasonably priced. The only re-occurrıng problem we have heard of there are disputes over the size of the bar bill at the end of the week. This may of course just be people forgetting how much they drank over a week but it might still be a good idea to settle up each night.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Regards

Alan

M25 size?  I dont think so. No where near it

As for bulldozers noise Limon Tree Villa is about 200 -300 yards from Samira and when the bulldozers are bang opposite LTA Villa and the side road is full of dogs of course you cant hear it from the Smaira. I will soon have the video on you tube so you can see for yourself.
Funny how people told us the Samira was noisy on Turkish night and got on peoples nevres (except Villa owners that is who want to let it out) We never heard it cos we were hundreds of yards away!!

The walk is doable but in 30-40 deree heat all the way from the harbour area evry night????  A warning from Villa owners to potential clients would have been welcome so we have the choice to take it or leave it.  Funny how none mention the road or roadworks when they want our hard earned dosh just to get a let.

As mentioned often I walk 10 miles a day carrying 40 - 60KG of post and parcles in all weather every day except Sunday so am very very very fit as a UK postie and it aint an easy walk to Villas up the mountain unless you want to let a Villa!!

Get real and get honest

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
 :-[  Dave - your last line is out of order! Uncalled for and spiteful, why do you suggest that Alan is not being truthful? Good luck to him if he walks back to his villa! I see nothing in his post that is offensive. I dont see why you feel free to react like this just because his post doesnt concur totally with your opinion.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
Digi_Dave
 Our postmen in Surrey have bikes, perhaps you should  apply for a transfer!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
We stay two roads higher up than the Samira Deluxe and yes its a tough walk back from town.....the last two hundred yards are the worst when you pass the main entrance to the SD....tried other routes up past the bus station etc criss crossing only tried it once and as the taxi's are so cheap will never do it again..we normally have some late night shopping from the supermarket so thats my excuse for a taxi  :) :)  Our villa owner makes it very clear that the walk is not for the old infirm, pushchairs etc etc......

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:49:59 PM by misty »

Offline tigertim

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 07:56:49 PM »
Oh im so glad the ladies and gentlemen that deliver our mail are notI "dislexic"!!!!!  otherwise we would never recieve anything!!  With apologies to anyone reading this post!! I also agree your post was not necessary and yes very spiteful!!!!

Offline Chris B

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
Thanks to everyones posts

It sounds like the lads will be ok (I will use the nine year old girl line as a incentive ) I realised that the Samira Deluxe  was a bit out of town actually after I booked it I thourght I was booking them in the Samira in town this is a bit confusing

Any way no going back now....... I will get them a couple of Miners helmets for the walk back as we are taking four teenage lads with us between 16 and 17 I will be the one with my pants on my head and pencils up my nose

See you on the 26th of July

Regards

Chris B

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
Hey give Digi_dave a break...I know Kalkan fairly well and still laugh at adverts for villas that state a 5 min walk into town when Snake Island is a spec in the distance......lets be honest when you are selling a product or service you tend to use a little artistic license....... 

Offline jamie-n-kimbo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Oh dear............ We walk up to the Samira Deluxe at least twice a day when we are in Kalkan. Yes, we whinge and moan whilst struggling in the heat but still manage it and that's because we understand that Kalkan sits on the side of a very steep hill.... something which is commonly known!!

I notice that most guests do the walk too.

Stay at the Pirat and you still have to walk up and down the hill if you want to see anything but the harbour.

The D400 is a blot on the landscape, but be real, there's not much traffic travelling on it.

Is it necesary to tell prospective clients that dogs bark?? I think that's a fairly obvious statement and no I'm not a villa owner.

I just wonder how the post gets delivered in Kalkan with those dangerous gogs, roads and heart attack hills.... >:D >:D

A Zebra................. It's just a Donkey in pyjamas!!!!!!

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
Digi_Dave
 Our postmen in Surrey have bikes, perhaps you should  apply for a transfer!!

Bikes are for whimps!!!!!!! ;D

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
:-[  Dave - your last line is out of order! Uncalled for and spiteful, why do you suggest that Alan is not being truthful? Good luck to him if he walks back to his villa! I see nothing in his post that is offensive. I dont see why you feel free to react like this just because his post doesnt concur totally with your opinion.

Tell that to those who got out of said pram when I joined EK then because my  post doesnt concur totally with their opinion

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
We stay two roads higher up than the Samira Deluxe and yes its a tough walk back from town.....the last two hundred yards are the worst when you pass the main entrance to the SD....tried other routes up past the bus station etc criss crossing only tried it once and as the taxi's are so cheap will never do it again..we normally have some late night shopping from the supermarket so thats my excuse for a taxi  :) :)  Our villa owner makes it very clear that the walk is not for the old infirm, pushchairs etc etc......

Villa details please, I like honesty.  ;)

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
Thanks to everyones posts

It sounds like the lads will be ok (I will use the nine year old girl line as a incentive ) I realised that the Samira Deluxe  was a bit out of town actually after I booked it I thourght I was booking them in the Samira in town this is a bit confusing

Any way no going back now....... I will get them a couple of Miners helmets for the walk back as we are taking four teenage lads with us between 16 and 17 I will be the one with my pants on my head and pencils up my nose

See you on the 26th of July

Regards

Chris B

I had two teenage girls and they puffed and wheeze and whinged all the way up. This 53 year old dad put em to shame.  If you take a pick axe you can dig horizontal and then stick a lift shaft in. Bingo straight into the pool to cool off.

If you have enough puff left you may wish to dig an underpass under the M25 as some other poster called it.

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »
Oh im so glad the ladies and gentlemen that deliver our mail are notI "dislexic"!!!!!  otherwise we would never recieve anything!!  With apologies to anyone reading this post!! I also agree your post was not necessary and yes very spiteful!!!!

Ok sorry

Just dont tell me where you live or I will bend your post

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
Oh dear............ We walk up to the Samira Deluxe at least twice a day when we are in Kalkan. Yes, we whinge and moan whilst struggling in the heat but still manage it and that's because we understand that Kalkan sits on the side of a very steep hill.... something which is commonly known!!

I notice that most guests do the walk too.

Stay at the Pirat and you still have to walk up and down the hill if you want to see anything but the harbour.

The D400 is a blot on the landscape, but be real, there's not much traffic travelling on it.

Is it necesary to tell prospective clients that dogs bark?? I think that's a fairly obvious statement and no I'm not a villa owner.

I just wonder how the post gets delivered in Kalkan with those dangerous gogs, roads and heart attack hills.... >:D >:D

When they say its a quiet location yes please. Bear in mind we had never been to Turkey/Kalkan b4. We did not know about the dog problem and its the worse we have seen in any country We did not know about this site untill Patara Horse Riding Club told us. We are in the honesty lap of those who provide a service.  >:(

As a Photographer (other job) I dont just tell people I will turn up at the wedding and take some snaps. I give Details. I would rather not take the work than  be economical with the truth and  maybe thats why my phone dont stop ringing in only my second year of doing this.  ;D

As for delivering letters in Kalkan when many locals asked what I did in the UK they looked very puzzled and said they pick their post up from the post office. 

As for the heart attacks I bet Kalkan has loads with all those twirlies lazing about all year drinking EFES and scoffing great food all day and then ghasping back up the hills But thats probably another well kept secret  :'(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Samira Deluxe Apartments vs. Samira Deluxe Apart Hotel

Started by klakanmanno on Accommodation and Hotels

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 11:18:05 AM
by Kalkan-Mina
xx
Is there a difference between the Samira Hotel and Samira Deluxe

Started by lblizard on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 08:40:01 PM
by Chucky
xx
samira deluxe or samira gardens

Started by izzy35 on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 09:06:32 PM
by Chucky
xx
Samira Deluxe

Started by simonwg on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 09:44:03 PM
by tonik1945

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal