Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: thinking about Kalkan...  (Read 8325 times)

Offline missymoo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
thinking about Kalkan...
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »
Hi there,
I have been looking for a suitable destination for a family holiday...by this I mean an older family holiday- that's me, hubby, brother, sis in law and our parents. It will be to celebrate my Mum's 60th so I am looking for a 3 bed villa. Pref with a private pool, BBQ etc.
I stumbled on Kalkan this morning and have been researching ever since. It truly looks beautiful. This will be our first time in Turkey....but it seems to tick all the right boxes with beautiful coastline, great selection of restaurants etc. My only concern is the hills....is it very hilly? Whilst my Mum is very mobile, she does tire easily on hills as she has a back problem. I'm guessing that taxi's wouldn't be a problem though??

I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend a 3 bed villa as described and provide any advice on being in Kalkan - would you recommend trying to stay in the old town? And I had read it can be very noisy?? Is this true or a wee bit of negativity I have seen mentioned??

Many thanks x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4614.0

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: thinking about Kalkan...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
Missy,

Welcome to EK. It's hilly where ever you stay in Kalkan but some hills are worse than others- there are even hills in the old town and the further out you go, the steeper they become!  My mum who's also in her 60's visited Kalkan for the 1st time in May and she also has mobility problems (but hers is a breathing complaint) and she did struggle on the hills, which we got around by having a car and using taxi's.  Providing you do that, Kalkan is ideal for an 'older family holiday'.  Would perhaps recommend that you visit earlier or later in the seaon though as July and August are very hot and make walking about more difficult.

Enjoy.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
I'd echo turkeyfan's comments missymoo.  My mum - who is in her early 70s - came to Kalkan with me in 2007 and did struggle a bit with the hills.  However she loved it so much for other reasons that we are planning a return visit next year so that should tell you pretty much all you need to know!  Try and get a villa close to the old town so that you can walk down there in the evenings - it is a lovely walk when it's downhill but not so great on the way back when you're stuffed with excellent food and maybe the odd glass of wine!  I think you should avoid July and August as even the months either side can be very, very hot and walking anywhere - hills or no hills - can be an ordeal regardless of your age.  Don't let any of this put you off though as there is so much to compensate for the occasional climb and let's face it without the hills there would be no stunning views!
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline missymoo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
thank you both for your advice.
I emailed a villa that I was interested in for the old town which looked ideal but I got a rather frosty response!! Hey ho....I'll keep looking. Can either of you recommend anywhere close to the old town.

We're looking at going in September so hopefully it will be a bit more bearable. Is it very rowdy in old town as I read on tripadvisor that it gets quite noisey....not that this would bother us too much as we do like to have a bit of nightlife!!  ;)

O0 Just had to use him!!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »
we stayed right on the edge of the old town in August and it wasn't at all rowdy just lively and to be honest with the double glazing we couldn't hear a thing.....and my hubby is very sensitive!! >:D

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
If you are there the fortnight from the 3rd I will see you there!  It's not noisy in a rowdy sense, but clearly Kalkan is famous for its restaurants so it's not exactly sleepy after dark.  I'm sure that with some locations you have more of an awareness of revellers returning home at the end of a long evening than others, but nothing to keep you awake I wouldn't have thought.  Very surprised to hear of your 'frosty reception' - surely the owner wants to rent the villa so courtesy would pay dividends.  Just keep looking on the villa rentals sites and ask advice here about location if you're not sure.

Offline missymoo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
Thanks again guys.
That was my thoughts exactly re the frosty reception....even if it's unavailable there is no need to be rude is there?!
I'm struggling to find old town availibility. Is Kalamar Bay way out?
There are a few that look amazing located in Kalamar Bay....

Thanks again for all your help....it really must be special as you really feel the love for the place on this site!  :D

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:13 AM »
Hi Missy,
Kalamar Bay is glorious, we've just returned on Monday from two fantastic weeks there.
It is completely silent at night, (and in the day!) so ticks one box. However, I think your Mum would definitely struggle with walking back and forth to town. It's a good 30-40 min walk and steep in parts.
We walked back each night, to atone for the "eating fest" of all the fab food.
A taxi to Kalamar Bay is 11 TL before midnight and about 19 TL after.
Hope this helps. Cathy.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline Loopylell

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »
Hi there
I think you might struggle to find a villa with private pool in the old town area, we have stayed for the last two years the first year at the Dere Apartment complex on the edge of the old town, (bit of a climb up the last part of the hill though from the Kaptans bar), there are a few villas in this complex I think some may be advertised thru Tapestry holidays (Villa Olivia and Villa Tmo).  This year we stayed at a 2 bed villa on the edge of old town which shared a pool with two others, they advertise on Owners direct one of the other villas that shared the pool is on owners direct also and is a three bed villa (ideal location).  Also just behind us was the villa kismet, beautiful with a small private pool.  Although I think there may be another Kismet so check location.  For next year we have booked a three bed apartment opposite the cati restaurant in the area behind the webcam and the post-office. It also shares a pool with two other apartments but looks very nice also good location.  If any use its on owners direct TK791. They also have their own website if you type in Yilmaz Manzara you can view it in more detail.

Regards
Loopylell

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
Take a look at Truffles,not villas,but really nice,central so no taxis needed,and the top two have great views and their own plunge pool. ;D
They are on the EK accom section.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:05:39 PM by fidimax »
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Hi
We have a villa in Old Town (don't worry, not trying to advertise ias we're full in Sept anyway) but just wanted to say, it's not noisy whatsoever. Don't let anything like that put you off staying in this area as it's great, just so convenient - the Old Town is a great location for families with different interests as they can just come and go to town without having to worry about who can or can't walk home or get taxis etc. Good luck.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
I have to say I always stay in the town & find it very quiet, for the first time I stayed down Kalamar Road (not in the bay) in August & found it very noisy with lots of traffic going up & down & lots of dogs barking.

Just my opinion, I definitely prefer staying in the town.

Offline missymoo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:46 PM »
Again, thanks for all your help.
I think I had found the Yilmaz Manzara and that's gone on the shortlist too.

This website is brill by the way...you're all very helpful, thank you indeed xx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal