Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Weight Restrictions at Dalaman  (Read 6606 times)

Offline molly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
Re: Weight Restrictions at Dalaman
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
Watch that weight at the airport! the airlines especially FTC are checking every bag for extra revenue! you have been warned we departed Dalaman on Thursday and numerous passengers were being charged extra! at £9 a kilo it soon adds up.  Also while on the subject of Dalaman airport what has happened to all the way over priced drinks kiosk's?? the whole of that platform that over looks the gates is really in darkness now!  and at £5 for a can of cola! take your own! till they stop you taking it in.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4192.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:29:27 PM by molly »

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
We were caught out by the weight restrictions in July on our return. We have always paid £60 extra for 5 kgs each ( 4 of us) so an extra 20kg,but decided not to this year. On our return we ended up paying an extra £50. We were only 5 kg over in total. I appreciate that we were in the wrong but next time I think we'll pay in advance as it is better value. I'm going with a friend in October and have booked us 5kg extra each for all those extras.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:51:49 PM »
Onur charge £7 per kilo. One case was 20.6 and another was 20.5 and even though the other two cases were under, we weren't given the option to rearrange the luggage and were told to pay £14 before we were given the final boarding card. The luggage had gone off on the conveyor belt before we were told we were being charged >:( As it was 4am, I didn't have the energy to complain :( I've never known it as strict as this.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
My entire luggage weighed in at 8.5 KG...(including large slab of cheddar)there were plenty of clothes for boiling hot kalkan and basic toiletries..(we buy stuff in Kalkan).especially as we had a washing machine in the villa ...even Lady lizard has halfed her takings  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
Having previously been caught at Dalaman with excess baggage we invested a few pounds in a set of luggage scales and took them with us. No excess baggage for us as we carefully weighed the bags before setting off for the airport. Would probably have been cheaper ditching some stuff if we had been around the limit but luckily we were well within the limit.

Offline BeeKay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
I think this is all down to how people are feeling that check you in. We left Kalkan via Dalaman in the early hours of Thursday morning in a group of 11. Although most of us were slightly under 20kg some were over and 1 @ 26kg and 1 @ 24kg. We appeared to be averaged over the party of 11, none of the bags were marked heavy and we paid not a penny. We were warned that Dalaman was very strict and that handlers will not touch a bag over 23kg - I guess we were just lucky!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
We also invested in one of those hand scales things...which we found worse than useless. It had all our cases well under the limit so please be careful when using these contraptions - they are not always a true reading >:(

baklavabuddy

baklavabuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
Oh no, I just invested in one, thought I was being smart. I got charged £20 for being 2 kgs over in July with Thomas Cook

BB

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Re: Weight Restrictions at Dalaman
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
When flew out of Dalaman a couple of weeks ago our suitcases were under - went out with 4 cases and came back with one empty so we were WELL below our allowance.  The check in girl weighed my OH's hand luggage and said it was 10kg and not the 5kg we were allowed.  She told him to take stuff out and put in in our (unweighed) bags until his weighed 5kg.  She didn't weigh the 3 other hand luggages and as soon as we were away from the desk we put everything back in the original bag.  It was very silly.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
our luggage scales work absolutely fine. tested them at home by weighing a few things we knew the correct weight of and scales were bang on every time :)

Offline Mackem

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
We flew out of Dalaman on Monday afternoon. There were three of us on two flights and each had 20 kgs. Before any of us checked in we used one of the many empty check in desks to weigh our cases. At the time all the scales were switched on. We then rearranged the contents of our cases and re weighed them to confirm they were okay.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
I just used my bathroom scales to weigh the cases coming out - they were pretty accurate (unfortunately - I was kind of hoping they'd weigh over in which case I'm more svelte than I think I am ;D).  Check in at Gatwick was VERY strict on baggage allowances, especially as I had over 5kg hand luggage. We flew Thos Cook.  On the return leg I weighed the cases at an empty check in desk to make sure they were okay but when I went to actually check in they completely ignored hand luggage - didn't even look at it let alone weigh it.  I could have had an elephant in my holdall and they wouldn't have cared.  Lesson: it's all very hit and miss and it's best to either stick to the limits or buy extra in advance.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
I usually wear a fleece jacket when flying (it gets so cold on the plane)
I put my paperback books and any beads and bracelets etc (which can be really heavy) into the zipped pockets and also the large internal ones. Then when I'm through check-in, they go in my hand luggage.
It works for me!    :D
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline elcee

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Lee Collins
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:18 AM »
So what are the weight restrictions at Dalaman - we have paid £16 to Easyjet to alllow us to carry one bag between 2 people, and this can weigh no more than 32kg. I am confused now!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
I would check it out with easyjet. It's not Dalaman airport who set the limits but individual airlines. In the summer with British Midland we had 20k per person hold luggage and 5k hand, Next week with Flyglobespan we have 15k hold and 5 hand. Some airlines do not allow passengers to combine limits so always best to read the small print. I'm sure the easyjet site will have all the details and if you're still not sure then e-mail them for confirmation

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Elcee, Definitely check with Easyjet.  At £16 you have purchased one piece of luggage at no more than 20kgs.  32kgs is the heaviest bag they will carry but you have to pay extra for that weight (an additonal £70 each way!) so definitely check with them before flying.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:44:25 AM by Charlie »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
yes thats for one piece of hold luggage(suitcase) at 20kg....you can take a reasonable sized flight bag also ;)

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Be also careful with any extras - flying with easyjet - i was taking a collapsable clothes hanger for my guest - and my bag and this object in a cardboard box did not weigh more than 20 kg.  It was just too large to get into my bag.   But they said i had to pay for an extra baggage. (Airport prices!!)   As the clothes hanger had cost me less than £8 I had to do a lot of talking to get me out of this one which fortunately i did.   Will remember this for future trips with easyjet.   

Offline elcee

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Lee Collins
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
I have just emailed them to check, probably 20kg will be ok for the 2 of us but as we enter the amount of cases (1) for 2 passengers - it gives us a charge of £16 and changes to 32kg weight limit. Will just have to travel light!

Offline HoneyBunny

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
I have just emailed them to check, probably 20kg will be ok for the 2 of us but as we enter the amount of cases (1) for 2 passengers - it gives us a charge of £16 and changes to 32kg weight limit. Will just have to travel light!

Elcee - you will get 32kgs with easyjet for 2 people. They give 20kgs per person baggage allowance but since you have only paid for one bag, it is limited to 32kgs as this is the maximum weight for one piece of luggage.And remember with easyjet you will get unlimited hand luggage weight - one piece only, but as long as you can lift it into the overhead luggage thingsyou can take it. My partner and me usually take one small wheeled case packed with heavier stuff we won't need so much on the journey that he pulls about and I  take a large handbag with all the travel docs etc in. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:07:57 PM by HoneyBunny »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Liquid Restrictions at Dalaman

Started by lisjj on Flights and Travel

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 09:15:51 AM
by Em1
xx
liquid restrictions at dalaman

Started by samson on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 02:38:33 PM
by samson
xx
Over weight cabin crew ban!!

Started by tigertim on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 03:18:54 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
luggage restrictions

Started by Kalkankiwi on Flights and Travel

26 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 08:11:11 AM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal