Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Over weight cabin crew ban!!  (Read 4002 times)

Offline tigertim

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Over weight cabin crew ban!!
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
I have just read on the KTLN website, the article regarding the ban on Turkish Ailines cabin crew that are overweight. Well what a shame the same doesnt apply to certain passengers that are overweight too!!  We all have weight restrictions regarding our luggage etc and have to pay extra if we have to. However, where are the weight restrictions for passengers??
I am sure most of us at some time have been squashed into a seat by the passenger nextdoor that probably should have been charged for two seats!!
When i visited Kalkan earlier in the year i was in the departure lounge when a rather large family ( about 6 of them) turned up with their McDonalds "goody bags"!  Having seem them earlier in the evening in a restaurant eating,it was somewhat of a concern to learn that they needed more food!!
Please note that i am NOT running anyone down that, due to health problems, have weight issues.
I am sure that many years ago there were weight restrictions for passengers so why not bring it back??!!
I know now ive opened a really BIG can of worms!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6121.0

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: Over weight cabin crew ban!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
Tiger Tim, well said and I totally agree with you.  Coming from an aviation background and being ex-cabin crew myself, I fully understand your point, we were regularly weighed.  There are several internal airlines in the US who DO weigh their passengers, over a certain weight, they have to purchase an extra seat or two (or on one occasion - three!)  There is also a safety issue - God forbid, but if  there is an emergency situation and passengers have to assume the brace position, what happens then?   I am in no way denigrating larger people, everyone is entitled to fly and have a holiday, but I OBJECT to being penalised for being a couple of kilos overweight on luggage and only weigh 7 stone myself!  Draw your own conclusions!  ???

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
Surely Porkie people must have to be scattered along the plane......if they all sat at the back.
a) it would have trouble getting off the ground

b) if it did it would be flying doing a "wheelie"

:P :angel:
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
I've posted before about our flight with Monarch last September. Two very large ladies were unable to fit into the seats, one got moved to a seat where the armrests could be moved upright, but the other one (they weren't together) had to get off  :o
There was also a (let's be straight here) very fat young woman, who had to half lie, half sit, sideways for the whole flight. as her hips/bum were too wide for the seat.
Maybe Monarch are making the statement about carrying overweight passengers by stealth. ie. if you can't fit into the seat- tough-you don't fly. The seats were quite narrow.
The nightmare scenario is being behind one of these behemoths if we need to evacuate quickly through the emergency exits  :o :o ???
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
Dear Kefgirl, imagine the scenario.   A very bumpy flight from Chicago to New Orleans - in front a three seater!
I pointed out my concerns to the cabin crew, but whilst they totally sympathised with me, the flight was full and we could not be moved.   In an emergency situation, we and several other rows would have been in the s--t, through no fault of our own. :o

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »
If airlines put a weight limit on the bigguns,lets just say 20 stone,if you are a little un,10 stone and under,would you get a discount ?

Hhhhmmmm   >:D ???
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »
Dear Blue Lizard - gives a whole new meaning to the word
"Jumbo Jet"! :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »
European legislation means you can't discriminate against people of the the grounds of race, sex, disability etc. So banning anyone deemed overweight is actually against the law. Anyone with mobility problems not caused by excess weight would also be a hinderance in an emergency situation, do you propose to have those people moved or barred from flying also? This stopped being about baggage allowance very quickly and turned on those who might prevent a swift exit from an aircraft in an emergency.

I'm not fat or thin and do not have mobility problems, BTW, just disturbed by this thread >:(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 04:45:35 PM »
Kalkan4Eva
I think you have missed the point.   At no time has anyone denigrated those less fortunate souls who are not as mobile as ourselves - people with disabilities are seated where THEY have priority should there be a problem and an emergency evacuation has to take place.

But , contrary to your views, it still does not get away from the initial subject raised, baggage allowances are an utter joke, human rights or not!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

[/quote]
A very bumpy flight from Chicago to New Orleans - in front a three seater!
I pointed out my concerns to the cabin crew, but whilst they totally sympathised with me, the flight was full and we could not be moved.   In an emergency situation, we and several other rows would have been in the s--t, through no fault of our own. :o

I don't think I've missed your point at all...this isn't about baggage as far as I can see.
maryjane, you are perfectly entitled to your view, as I am to mine.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
When i buy my seat i buy the whole seat...not half of it while someone next to me spills over onto mine....2 years ago
 a large woman spent most of the flight half on my chair,not only this but when we hit turbulance she kept trumping..although she was very apologetic it still flew up my nostrils!! >:(

also if i had to exit by the emergency shute the last thing i want is broken bones through a whopper clutching a half eaten muffin landing on me.....i would sue!! >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
let's face it...the chances of getting out of a plane that's crashed are pretty slim (no pun intended ::) ) so this is an arbitary discussion...but if by some miracle you survive and need to get out, behave like a commuter on the London Underground and you'll have no problem :o

I've also sat next to a guy who shared my seat. He was just like Lurch - must have been about 6 ft 10 and he had to use up all my leg room as well as his own. He wasn't overweight, by any stretch of the imagination, but he will have weighed a considerable amount because of his height and build...so how do you discriminate because he doesn't look like BL's passenger and didn't eat muffins as I recall :P , but I hazzard a guess he may have weighed the same - if not more than the large lady trumper.
These are the "joys" of flying, and until you have your own private learjet, this is your lot >:D

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
Has this turned into a "I hate fat people" thread? First, don't pay for fat people to have life-saving operations on the NHS, now don't let them travel to Kalkan?

By the way, I'm not fat, weighing in at 9 stone 7, but, just for the hell of it, I thought I'd stand up for the chubby ones. What is classified as fat, any how? I saw quite a few who might be classified as such on my last visit - that's by my own benchmarks. So please give fat people a break - they've got shorter life longevity, more risk of obese related diseases, and, in the short term, have to pay much more than us svelt folk for sun cream.

So give them a break - they deserve a holiday!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
 :) :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
popps if one falls on you it will be give you a break >:D

i must say my posts on this are tongue in cheek ..if it makes you feel better i will hug a tubber :-*

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:40:46 PM »
Yes but would a tubber want to be hugged by a boney lizard, even if it was blue!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
I have never yet been squashed by a larger person on a plane as I do a crafty and make sure I have a window seat so Hubby's in the middle, so if anyone gets squashed by the person in the aisle seat it's him poor lamb! Mind you I always seem to have the kid behind me that enjoys kicking the back of the seat all the way, nearly had my lunch and coffee in my lap more than once  >:(. Well can't win them all I suppose :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
I tried to hug a Tubber.... .but i couldn't get my arms around and i got covered in muffin crumbs :P :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
looking for crew

Started by richard slip on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
by whiteonyx
xx
Kindles in cabin

Started by JonJon on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2018, 07:47:02 PM
by Lynne T
xx
Easyjet fom Dalaman on hand (cabin) baggage only - query

Started by Mags on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2014, 12:13:53 PM
by Mags
xx
Re: Weight Restrictions at Dalaman

Started by molly on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 04:05:05 PM
by HoneyBunny

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal