Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: luggage restrictions  (Read 6968 times)

Offline Kalkankiwi

• KK
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
luggage restrictions
« on: July 19, 2008, 07:21:22 PM »
Flying out with Thomas Cook next week from Gatwick. Am restricted to 15kg hold luggage and 5kg carry on. Have done a trial pack today and am struggling to fit it all in. Just want to know how strict Thomas Cook are at Gatwick. Are they allowing you a couple of kilos grace or are they strictly enforcing the 15 and 5. Any advice appreciated.

KK

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2061.0

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
Re: luggage restrictions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:46 PM »
Answer to this is, it depends. Firstly on the total number of passengers and secondly on who you pick or, are sent to at check-in.
In April, I was a Kilo or two over and had no problem, even though the flight was full. At the next door check-in were some younger people one of whom was also 2 kilo''s over, they got sent away to pay excess.
An older friend came out with approaching 40k in May 2007, on a half full flight and got away with it.
We have bought some lightweight holdalls now as most suitcases of a reasonable size weigh at least 4.5k. Also, even decent hold luggage doesn''t last very long if you travel regularly. I get quite upset about it, grrr.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:56 PM »
Yes, it is annoying, and with some flights you are not sure what your allowance is until you get your tickets!! We have also now bought new holdalls to try and keep the weight down and invested in luggage scales, which are really helpful.
Kalkankiwi, you can save a lot of weight by buying your toiletries and lotions when you get to Kalkan.
Any other helpful tips to pass on anyone?   

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
Yes ladies could cut down on weight by not bringing much and buying a complete new wardrobe of clothes when they arrive  ;D

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
Are you offering to pay Kevincat99? ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:28:35 PM by joanH »

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »
Err - sorry joanH you have caught me at a bad time - having just had to pay a huge water bill of 21 YTL otherwise you know that i would have been only too pleased to ::)

Offline doug46b

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
Joan,
        The answer is leave your Kalkan clothes in your apartment.  Then you only have cabin baggage and zoom through Dalaman airport. Thats what I do but getting Carole to do it nooooooooooo.

See you soon

Doug     aka Eric Pollard!!!! ;) ;)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:52 PM »
I have Doug, but there are so many good sales on, it is just too tempting to add to my "Kalkan" wardrobe.
I have drastically reduced the amount I now bring out.
I don''t bring anything of Ray''s!!!   ;D

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:08 PM »
You don''t need much. I manage to come out with 9-10k in luggage. Heavier on the way home as I always bring back olive oil soap!.

Honestly, you only need a couple of changes of underwear, a couple of bathing costumes, 4/5 T shirts & a couple of pairs of trousers.
Anything you wash is dry in 4/5 hours & no one in Kalkan gives a flying **** what you wear.

As my son says: "Chill, Winston".

Enjoy your holiday - Kalkan ain''t a fashion parade!

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »
I struggle with 20kgs allowance, its shoes and toiletries that weigh the most, even though Kalkan is not a fashion parade it is nice to get dressed up, you will only need lightweight clothes at this time of year and mix and match, make sure you use your full 5kgs cabin allowance. Thomas Cook are usually easy on you going outbound but be carefull when you return at Dalaman they will sting you for everything

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
We returned from Kalkan a month ago. We flew with Thomas cook and paid the extra for 20kg and still struggled (my sandals probably) you don''t realise how much everything weighs. Going out at Cardiff they seemed OK but coming back at Dalaman many people were really getting clobbered for going over such a little, a few had been charged £45 for going over hardly anything they were quite shocked. We were surprised too as we were under the limit going over and just on the limit coming back, this was a bit baffling as we only bought one small Turkish throw which was very light, as we didn''t want to worry about going over the limit, and we actually came back with a lot less as we left all the heavy bottles of toiletries over there and the bits of food we took (my hubby had to take his salad cream sauce etc and bars of chocolate) all which weighed quite a lot. So really we should have been weighing lighter. Talked to many people in the airport and they were saying the same thing. Weighed the cases when we got home on our electronic scales which was spot on when we went and it appeared that the Dalaman scales seemed to be weighing heavy. So if I were you I''d be careful and bear in mind what you''re fetching back too of course, Cardiff airport seemed fine didn''t hear any complaints can''t comment on Gatwick but they were definitely on the ball at Dalaman. Hope you have a good holiday anyway, in my experience we take far more than we wear and anything goes really in Kalkan. I''ll be worrying with packing next week as I''m off to Kyrenia in North Cyprus, have to cut down on the sandals I think then I might actually be able to buy some souvenirs!!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »
My friend got clobbered at Dalaman for excess baggage. A lot of people seemed to have to pay excess baggage at Dalaman so be careful.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
We got done for excess baggage last July at Dalaman so were extra careful in October last year and again a fortnight ago. We were fine in October and on way out from Glasgow early July we were at least 8 kilos under. On way back from Dalaman the other day we were 0.2 kilos over. Couldn''t believe it as we had ditched all the heavy toiletries,left behind at least 7 books and had hardly bought anything to bring back. I''d love to know just how accurate the scales are.

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »
Hi joanH
Been wondering for ages if & where i can purchase something for weighing luggage,where do you get these scales from Joan?
Cheers

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
just googled it and came up with this www.scalesexpress.com/product.php?productid=16486&cat=347&page=1

looks like just the job though not sure how check in staff would react if you wished to debate the accuracy of their scales with yours  ::)

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
We flew with thomas Cook in March, we had 15kg each. I filled my case with all things for our villa and my husbands case with our clothes, we weighed the cases before we left home and we were bob on with the weight, we were also spot on at machester.

So when we came home it meant that my case was empty and my husbands case should have been 15kg, we did not have anything extra in the case. At Dalaman both cases weighed 26kg!!!!! this doe''s not make sense, they were also charging people left right and center, so please do be careful on your way home, the Dalaman scales are deffo set up wrong, in our case it seems like Dalaman scales are out by 11kg!!!!

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
We have a cheap holdall each, bought from Argos, and make sure we never fill it full....and we have used these over and over for many holidays at home and abroad.
Any toiletries we take are decanted into small bottles from superdrug.
As we stay self catering we also take clothes detergent decanted into a small bottle (cos i''m a sensitive girl and can only use a certain product!) for use in handwashing/washing machine....clothes dry so quickly in the heat!
I take a pair of sandals for evenings, a pair of daytime sandals, and lightweight clothes that can be mixed and matched for evenings and days.
MrB travels light, clothes wise!  ::)
Any books/mags we take are left behind, and we don''t take any heavy goodies home with us.
And we take our snorkelling gear.
So far, so good...we always tend to come in under the allowance at both checkins.  :angel:

P.S its a good job the 2 litres of Bombay Sapphire are purchased after checkin!!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »
Beach towels also weigh heavy but you can buy cheap ones in Kalkan and then leave them there - works out less than paying excess luggage.

On our flight back earlier in the year a number of people being charged excess luggage at Dalaman were adamant that they had significantly less in their case than they had on the way out but their cases were now weighing heavier.

They have never weighed our hand luggage at Dalaman so perhaps it will help to put a couple of heavy items in it!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
They sell them on QVC and I have noticed a few adverts now in the Sunday papers and week-end supplements. They are all about the £20 mark, although I did spot some in a local luggage shop for £9.99. I have to say mine were spot on with the scales at Manchester airport.
If they are "out" at Dalaman, I would ask for a re-weigh, if I thought mine was the more accurate weight and they were trying to charge me.

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:23 PM »
Thanks everyone.Found similar ones on Ebay for £1.99

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hand luggage restrictions.

Started by clara48 on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:35:31 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Restrictions on liquids in hand luggage

Started by Tatilde on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 08:57:31 PM
by Cuddles
thumbdown
Building Restrictions

Started by Pauline on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 01:16:26 PM
by Pauline
xx
liquid restrictions

Started by lisjj on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 08:18:14 PM
by lisjj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal