Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan - a 'virgin's' report  (Read 3279 times)

Offline fitwenchdidyell

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan - a 'virgin's' report
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
Returned last Monday from our first 2 weeks in Kalkan, staying at Samira De Luxe.  Having read extensively around this forum I felt very well prepared and had a few plans for things to do and see.

Yes Samira DL is a fair climb from the town but the reward is a spectacular view over Kalkan, a gentle refreshing breeze and a very decent sized swimming pool.  Apartment was spacious and well equipped although the balcony was not exactly generous but had enough space to sit out and watch the sun go down (or come up)

Being a bit of a fitness fanatic, I looked on the walk up from town as a challenge and volunteered to do the morning ‘bread run’ and shopping for breakfast provisions as a warm up for my pre-breakfast swim while hubby lay idling in bed!!  We never used a taxi to get back to the apartment and used the free shuttle service just the once, when we synchronised it with a mega fruit shop.  When the ‘shuttle service’ arrived, bang on time at the appointed place, they had sent a very nice car rather than the minibus, so a bonus.

We also took advantage of the facilities at the Mediteran on several days (and 3 evenings too) and my camera came home bursting with endless pix of the wonderful infinity pool and the views across Kalkan from there.

We ate at a variety of places – Mediteran, Odek, Doyem, Sunset Terrace, Kalkan Parc, Atlantis, Garden Café, Akin, Omar’s Kitchen, Kaptan’s, Zula.  All were good and none tried to impose a service charge.  We tended to ‘round up’ the bill making sure to leave between 5% and 10% as a tip each time.

We were there last weekend during the rain and storms and saw the multi-million pound Yacht A anchored up in the bay on Friday night/Saturday morning.  Ugly, futuristic shape - reminded me of a submarine conning tower, but hey I wouldn’t mind owning it even if only to sell it on and buy a place in Kalkan and another in the Greek islands. 

The storms were spectacular.  We were up at Mediteran during the afternoon and saw the big black clouds start to creep in over the mountain top, but when it came, the rain actually rolled in from the sea and the islands just disappeared in the murk.  That evening it was dry but the wind was howling round the hillsides and the sheet lightning and rumbling thunder created a dramatic atmosphere while we enjoyed dinner at Mediteran.  (We didn’t venture into town as we decided that the streets would have been dangerously slippery and most of the rooftop restaurants would need to operate from the inside dining areas)  Saturday morning it rained and rained and rained, then the sun poked its head out again and Sunday (our last day) was glorious.

Went to Kas by bus twice (the second time during the Saturday downpour when the streets were running like rivers) and also took a trip with Adda Tours to Meis/Kastellorizo.  I would recommend this trip even to anyone who, like me, hates boats as it’s only a short crossing from Kas to the island.  We also walked over to Kalamar Bay to see life ‘on the other side’.

So my personal bests:

•   Best view – Kalkan from Mediteran / entering Meis harbour in second place
•   Best trip – Meis island
•   Best sunset – the first one we saw from the balcony at Samira DL – we arrived at 18.30 so had just unpacked and simply sat there and gawped as the sky turned pink…. We were finally there!!
•   Best shop – Baykus for the glass lanterns and tea lights etc. – beautiful to look at and absolutely no hassle from the salesman
•   Best music – Kalkan Parc – oldies but goodies (Pink Floyd, Eagles, Paul Weller, U2 covers – you have to be of a certain age to really appreciate the selection)
•   Best meal – grilled sea bass fillets with lemon and pomegranate sauce with a side order of carrots and beans (at Mediteran .. again!!) Second place would be the aubergine stuffed with chicken and mixed veg with a cheesy topping at Atlantis on Kalamar Road, third place the Apricot Chicken at Omar’s Kitchen.  Hubby enjoyed the Hunter Kebab at Odek on the first night best of all with the Mediteran’s fillet steak with mushroom sauce in second place
•   Best lunch – ‘Awfully Aubergine’ at Zula rooftop terrace (aubergine, tomato and goat’s cheese stacked, warmed with drizzled oil and served with rocket leaves)
•   Best bread – chef’s special apricot, sultana and walnut at Mediteran, served warm with olives (yummmmmm)
•   Best salad dressing – Akin’s Pomegranite house dressing
•   Best fruit – nectarines from the large fruit and veg shop near Samira Hotel
•   Best wine – Angora red (the Dikmen was OK too)
•   Best post dinner ‘on the house’ offering – Lemon Parfait at the Garden Café (very tangy and just sweet enough to make it feel sinful)
•   Best chaotic service – the first time we ate at Garden Café.  It absolutely didn’t spoil our enjoyment of the meal, in fact we went back again in the second week, but the lady serving us that first night seemed like she was new to the trade that evening.  It was amusing rather than annoying, we just tried to anticipate what would go wrong next and laughed along with her once she realised what she had (or had not) done this time
•   Best local colour – the little old lady sitting waiting patiently for her man outside the main mosque each morning as I passed on my way for bread
•   Best Call to Prayer – the one at around 16.45 each day – the most musical and melodic (and fairly short!!)

All in all a great holiday that recharged the batteries after a year of stress dealing with my elderly and increasing frail mum and trying to keep my business running and stay sane.

So if you are THINKING of going to Kalkan, stop thinking about it, just do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx Kalkan and EK – sorry if this is a bit long but didn’t want to miss anything out.

Wendy............x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4410.0
Born To Run - the Boss rules!!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan - a 'virgin's' report
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
Loved reading your report :) Have to agree about Meis I love that trip too.
Hope you enjoyed it enough to return to Kalkan and have many more happy times  :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
Wow! What a fantastic report on what sounds like, a fantastic holiday! It wasn't too long at all and I hung on every word!! Glad you enjoyed the food at the Mediteran - and the views - and it must have been incredible to witness the storms. You tried such a cross section of places, too. Did you get to see the rabbit in Omar's Kitchen?! And as for walking back up that hill, you are to be seriously commended!!

I really enjoyed reading it. A big "thank you"

Antler

Offline fitwenchdidyell

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
Yep the bunny was still there at Omar's Kitchen - the cats didn't seem to bother it at all.

Glad you enjoyed the report - you had set the bar very high Antler my friend  :angel:

I have some great pix of the storm arriving and clouds looming at the back of Mediteran.  Need to go and do dinner now so not worked out how to upload some for your viewing pleasure.  Will try soon and let you know
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:36:56 PM by fitwenchdidyell »

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »
Fabulous report and not too long at all. So glad you enjoyed your holiday after what sounds like a very stressful time for you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Virgin Mobile

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 05:44:02 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Like a Virgin. Touched for the very first time?

Started by MartynE on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 07:42:26 PM
by Mrs M!
xx
kalkan trip report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
by lorilou
xx
Very long report of our 2nd Kalkan holiday!

Started by JenJen on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 10:34:50 AM
by lorilou

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan view

Views: 2473
By: LancashireLass
Fenner Cafe at Sunset