Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Like a Virgin. Touched for the very first time?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Like a Virgin. Touched for the very first time?
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »

Background:

We (Fiona and Martyn) have been backwards and forwards to Kalkan many, many times since our first visit - on honeymoon - in July 2004. Like most people we always thought "you never go back to the same place twice" but we were, of course, bitten by the bug.... and became fully Kalkanised the following year, when we bought our first apartment (the one we now call Sunrise, in the Nur Apartments block).

Since then, apart from living here for a couple of years between 2013 and 2015, we have always visited two or three times a year. Spring and Autumn to "open up and close down" but also a week or 10 days  in the summer to check up on things. Of course, we love it... just coming round that headland and seeing the bay still gives that "ahhhhh" feeling every time... but the problem is that since buying that first apartment and founding Kalkan Secrets, we now have so much business to conduct whenever we are here that we never really have a holiday here. We have started to view it as a second home and business location, rather than a holiday resort.

This is dangerous, we decided. We really don't want to get complacent or jaded about Kalkan... so we agreed that this year, our July visit to Kalkan had to be a HOLIDAY. No business if we can avoid it (which is proving hard, however...more about this later!) and just get back to our initial simple enjoyment of Kalkan for what it is - a beautiful, relaxing, fun place to be! To be just like the Kalkan Virgins we were 13 years ago...touched for the very first time.

As it turned out, this could be made easier because of a conversation Fiona had with a friend who works in her hairdressers. They were talking - as anyone who knows Fi will recognise, this is not hard for her to do - and when it got onto the subject of holidays, Fi mentioned Kalkan. Well... "that's really funny", her friend Jan said, "because I've heard two or three people in here talking about Kalkan recently and I was wondering what it's like..." so of course Fiona, ever the saleswoman, suggested that Jan and her husband Paul should come to Kalkan to find out! They had never been to Turkey before and didn't have a clue what to expect - and, of course, the recent press scaremongering had affected their confidence - but, after much discussion,they took our word for it and decided to book.

The dates that they could come, as it happened, coincided with ours! So we offered to give up the two-bedroom penthouse in the block that we normally use and said they could stay in that one... we would have the one remaining one-bedroom apartment for our stay.

They were booked to fly out a day before us and to leave a few days before we do, but as the penny dropped we realised that this could be a perfect opportunity for us to see Kalkan again through the eyes of genuine Kalkan first timers!

They really were about to be touched, for the very first time... and we felt so excited for them.

Now
So... fast forward to this week.... Jan and Paul arrived in Kalkan on Monday afternoon and, before we left for Gatwick from home on Tuesday lunchtime, Jan had texted Fiona to say they had had a good flight and were happy in the apartment.

Phew. See you later, then!

We arrived in Kalkan on Tuesday night courtesy of easyJet and a very cool, comfortable and efficient transfer from Volume Travel. This was our first departure from the norm - I normally hire a car and drive from Dalaman to Kalkan, but this was a proper holiday, right? So, in true Kalkan Virgin mode, I was actually able to take in the moonlit scenery along the way. It really is a pretty, scenic drive, isn't it - even at night! I had forgotten.

Our driver whisked us through the villages and all the familiar place names flashed by until we came through Kinik and I knew it was nearly Ova (sorry... Fiona rolls her eyes every time I say that, too). Anyway, I just love the anticipation of going up that last long climb after Yesilkoy and up past LaVanta, then around that headland and... hold your breath... aaaaahhhhhhh! The dark silhouette of the islands. The bay. The twinkling lights. It never fails. KALKAN! Yayyy!

By now it's 23:45.
Hmm... time for my first cold Efes?
Well, I haven't unpacked yet.
Yes but we are on holiday.
That's a yes then. (I do love it that Fiona thinks the same as me).

Cases dropped in the apartment, quick loo visit and freshen up then head down into town to try and find Jan and Paul. Fiona's whatsapp call to Jan was unanswered, and they weren't in the penthouse, so they must be up to something. Better go and find out what, exactly.

Call it fate or whatever but, about two minutes after leaving the apartment, we were just down by Hunkar when we saw a familiar couple coming the other way. Jan was giggling. A lot. And Paul looked... well... relaxed... or mellow... call it what you will. Anyway, they looked suspiciously like they might have had a reasonably good time.

We had intended to call into Kaya to see the boys but it was all dark, so Marleys it was for my first Efes, while we got the lowdown from Jan and Paul about their First Day In Kalkan.

Like Virgins. Touched For The Very First Time. Ahh...sweet.

More later :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13780.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Like a Virgin. Touched for the very first time?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »
What a fantastic idea to have an actual holiday. I suspect that it's difficult to step back from the I'm in charge mode especially if any of your clients know that the boss is in site. Your apartments are lovely and I suspect not many problems arise anyway.
I hope you and Fiona have a fabulous time and that your friends are now so engrossed with Kalkan you'll never get Daybreak to yourself again.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »
Good for you Martyn and Fiona. Kalkan should always be about pleasure and relaxation however I guess this can be difficult when it's become your business too. Hope the holiday mode continues.  8)

I'm liking these music themed blogs...

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
Part 2

It's Tuesday night (or rather early Wednesday morning) and we're at Marleys, cherishing The First Cold Efes and getting the lowdown on Jan and Paul's First Day in Kalkan. So... what do they think of it so far? Cue broad grins from Paul and more giggles from Jan.

"I've just been dancing on the table in Chocolate... Paul had to drag me away..."

Well. It didn't take you two very long to fit in then, did it?

At this point I should probably fill you in a bit on Jan and Paul. They would be the first to admit that they are quite a distinctive couple. Jan is rather statuesque, well-presented and glamorous (Fiona's words) and possibly comes across as a bit dizzy to those that don't know her (but there is much, much more to her than meets the eye). She is a strict vegetarian. Paul is not a vegetarian and is ... errr... somewhat less statuesque. Well-covered, my mum would have said. He also looks remarkably like Colonel Sanders of  KFC fame... white hair, white beard, glasses... the works. It's quite uncanny - he often gets stopped in the street by people wanting to take a selfie with him. It might shake them up a bit when he replies in his slightly Brummie accent, but he always plays along.

Anyway...where was I? Oh yes. Chocolate, and Jan dancing on the table. Now I am trying to be gallant here but Jan is, frankly, old enough to know better. In fact, her daughter is old enough to know better. But the Kalkan bug affects different people in different ways and Jan's way of expressing sheer delight, apparently, is to dance on tables. Right. (I would suggest that the cocktails might also have had something to do with it).

A quick recap on their first day followed. After a very pleasant scenic transfer from Dalaman, courtesy of the excellent Volume Travel, they arrived late afternoon on Monday... enough time to unpack, freshen up and relax a bit before heading down into town and to Baharat for their very first Kalkan evening meal. And very impressed they were, too, with the rooftop setting, the friendly but courteous service and above all the quality and presentation of the food.

It was early to bed for them on Monday, after a tiring day travelling. So the next morning (Tuesday), Paul had got up bright and early to make the one minute hop to Yali store for breakfast provisions... and then a dip in the pool. "Couldn't believe how warm it was, so early in the day," Paul said.

After a leisurely morning by the pool, our guests popped into The Lime and had a very nice lunch, they said. Then back to the pool and later, down into the town and after exploring a bit, they had ended up in Korsan Meze for their dinner. They were, again, very impressed with the food, the value and the friendliness of the service. And THAT view, of course. Of course.

Full and happy, they started thinking about heading back to the apartment, ready to meet us when we arrived. Except their chosen route took them past Chocolate... and the "very nice young man" who gently charmed them in for a quick cocktail. Just a nightcap. Or two. Or...  well, you know the rest.

So... the verdict?

"WE LOVE IT!!!"

Perfect. Job done, and we haven't even started on them yet ;)

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
This makes a lovely read Martyn. 

We are taking our 3rd set of Kalkan Virgins out in September.  The 1st two are now 3 visits down and the 2nd two from last year are smitten and planning to return next year!

Enjoy your 'Holiday' :)
Lou :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Virgin Mobile

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 05:44:02 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Kalkan - a 'virgin's' report

Started by fitwenchdidyell on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 12:14:35 PM
by Lorretta
recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj
xx
Here we go again...but different this time

Started by MartynE on Holiday Reports and Reviews

27 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 06:09:05 PM
by tortoise lady

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal