Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Supermarkets near Kalkan  (Read 18577 times)

Offline monty

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Supermarkets near Kalkan
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »
Hi All,
I'm visiting Kalkan for 2 weeks in early September with my extended family.  There will be 4 adults and 2 children and as the children are only small (3 months and 18 months) and we all love to cook we will probably eat in a lot of the time.
For this number of people for 2 weeks from the sounds of the size of supermarkets in Kalkan I will probably be best off going for one huge shop at the beginning of the holiday and then buying fresh stuff locally as I go. 
Where are the nearest large supermarkets ? - any recommendations very gratefully received.
Thanks very much
Monty

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4098.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Supermarkets near Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
For what you'd save after fuel etc i'd use the local supermarkets,we found sevil cheaper for everyday items,Yali carries more but is slightly dearer ,tesko is ok ,but i don't know personally about Adda supermarket as we didn't shop there,the thursday market is good for fruit and veg as is the grengrocers by Kaya restaurant,we use Bulent the butcher(chicken galleries)by the roundabout top of the village good food and cheaper than other butchers....i'm sure others will be along to point you in the right direction ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:46:05 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »
The green grocers are all very cheap for fresh fruit, salad and veg.

Offline FIONAMCGREGOR

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
There are some good supermarkets in Kalkan, including a supermarket called "Tesko".

If your looking for fruit, go to some of the greengrocers further down in town. They have lots of juicy fruit and have a good selection to choose from.

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
We found Adda supermarket on the way into town off the main road quite good with a range that catered for 2 x adults and 2 x 11 year olds over the two weeks although we did eat out quite a lot as well. The market on Thursday is great for fruit and veg and is also great fun as well, our kids loved to barter.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
The nearest large supermarket is over an hours drive away in Fethiye. Despite its size, the Kalkan supermarkets have a far more varied stock and their prices are considerably cheaper. There is more than enough range and choice in Kalkan with excellent supermarkets, butchers and greengrocers.

Lantana

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
I agree with Lantana - Kalkan's shops are more than adequate. As well as that, we should be supporting local commerce.

Offline shining-one

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
There are three Supermarkets that we used when in Kalkan. Yali,Kartin and Tesko. We were informed Yali was the largest and offered the best selection of foodstuffs. An idea of prices Muesli 5.25 TL about £2.19, Ocean spray Cranberry juice 13.90 TL about £5.79, Delicious Turkish Yogurt 1.50 TL about 65p, Black bin Bags 4.50 about £1.88 Honey 5.52 tl Pack of Ham two thin slices 18.25 tl £7.60. Everything was delivered to our door the same evening while we were out. We picked up Kitchen roll instead of toilet roll so make sure you look carefully!
18 items in all came to 33.53 TL about £33.53, including 6 x 5 litre bottles of water at 1.75. TL
Also used the greengrocers opposite the taxi rank. The green and black figs are to die for. The Watermelons are great too as are the peaches. The fruit looked much fresher with more variety than the Supermarkets. The prices were cheap too.
I also bought a large bunch of peppermint and lemons which I would put in a jug of water in the fridge. it makes a zero calorie , cheap and refreshing drink.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »
There are 5 decent size supermarkets in Kalkan itself as well as a number of smaller grocery stores.  One of the smaller markets, Smile, is open 24 hours.

On the whole all locally produced food is considerably cheaper here than in the UK.  My favourite local digestive biscuits, which I think are much nicer than their UK counterparts cost 1 lira a packet. If  you buy imported items such as cranberry juice and ham, which are taxed as luxury goods, you pay considerably more than the UK.

However local Nar juice (pomegranate) or Visne (cherry) are every bit as good as cranberry and cost only 1.90 tl a litre. There are a variety of local processed meats, including smoked chicken and turkey which make a tasty substitute for ham  and cost less  than a quarter of the price quoted by shining one for imported ham.

One of the joys of cooking for yourself when you are on holiday is discovering local produce, using different ingredients and buying what's available locally and seasonally. 

If you are unsure about local products you see on the shelves, do ask the supermarket staff, each of the main stores has English speaking staff who will be happy to help.

And just to correct what must have been  a typing error  in shining ones post, 33.53 lira is approx £15.00.  If the bill came to £33, the turkish lira price was approx 83.

lantana

Offline shining-one

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »
Sorry it was a typing error the bill came to 83 TL. The items I mention were the only ones i could recognise because the bill was in Turkish. I agree buying local produce is a good idea. I did find it hard to find what I wanted. I never did find local cheese or butter that tasted like home. I loved the feta cheese though. Another item we had was the freshly roasted chickens on a spit 10 TL each. The shop was next to the greengrocer opposite the taxi rank. They made a lovely quick meal with local veg.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
kalkan supermarkets

Started by timwhit on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 08:20:13 PM
by timwhit
question
Do any Kalkan Supermarkets deliver?

Started by petemw5 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 05:34:22 PM
by Mayday1
xx
Supermarkets Enroute to Kalkan

Started by nitram on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 12:46:09 PM
by nitram
xx
Supermarkets

Started by hodstar on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 12:36:34 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Doug's Dream Job

Views: 4225
By: jinfizzz
villa kismet