Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Returning to Kalkan alone?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Lauren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Returning to Kalkan alone?
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:20:34 AM »
Hello All!
Ive just discovered this forum and thought i'd introduce myself.
My name is Lauren and I have fallen in love with Kalkan!
My family of 8 and I returned from our 1st time in Kalkan last Friday. There were 5 generations of us travelling, ranging from 76 to 3 years old and we all had the most amazing time. This place totally blew us away, we really had no idea just how charming this little town could be.
My family are planning on returning next year but I loved Kalkan so much that im thinking about returning in September before my University summer break ends, alone. Is there anyone here that has travelled alone to Kalkan that can offer any tips?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4081.0

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Returning to Kalkan alone?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
Well I'll be there on my tod next week and can fill you in then, but I don't think you will have any problem as people are genuinely friendly. If you are concerned about what others may think then immerse yourself in a book. Safety wise there are no issues that I am aware of and I would prefer to be there in the nights than here!

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Getting a reasonably priced airport transfer is a key issue for me when I travel solo - about half the time. 

Try the Transfers section of the forum; you might get lucky and be able to share costs with others arriving/leaving at the same time.

I have not used Thomas Cooks Transfer4U but their prices are good. 

I have caught the coach from the Kalkan Bus Station which goes through Fetiyeh and stops at the Dalaman Bus Station.  It takes almost three hours and you do have to get a taxi from the Dalaman bus station to the airport (25ytl) and of course you have to get yourself to the Kalkan bus station, but you do save a fair amount.  I am sorry that I cannot give you the exact price but I think it was something like 18ytl one way.  Also, if you like independent travel, Turkish coaches are a level above what I have experienced elsewhere.  I am assuming it is because there is not a well established rail network into Anatolia.  They even had someone serving drinks (water/coffee) on board.

September Weather is, in my view, the best.  I have been there twice for a whole month and it was really hot for the first two weeks, then we had a day or two of strong winds from the mountain side and from then on it was very pleasant during day and could be cool in the evenings. 

Bear in mind that the profile of visitors changes depending upon when you will be there.  Most families with school age children are not going to be there.

Enjoy

Mark
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
Hi Lauren - I returned alone after my first visit with friends and have done so several times since.  I always use Transfers4U if unable to share with anyone and can highly recommend them.  I've always been very well looked after and have no worries even arriving in the middle of the night on my own.  Current cost is £35.50.  I'm sure you won't feel lonely for a minute once you're in Kalkan and will probably get invitations from members of this forum to meet up.  I'm there first week in September if you take the plunge and want someone to have a drink with!

Offline Lauren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
The Transfer to and from Dalaman was my main concern, so thats really helpful.
I am also keen to meet other members travelling in September so im not too lonely! So, Thanx!

Offline kalkan kitty

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »
I always travel alone to Kalkan, pity im not returning in September. I tend to go May and October because its cheaper and the weather is a little cooler.  I also used the transfers4u shuttle and have had no problems with that, except this year i had to walk to the Samira to be picked up, cos it tends to like known hotels, but wasnt too far to walk.  Funnily enough, they actually took me right to the door on my outward journey, even tho i had to show the driver where to go. Have a great time, you will be fine :D

Offline cheshirecat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
Hi Lauren, I'm flying in on 12th - 19th with a friend (two single girls).  If this is the week you're there, let me know.

Also if you want to share a cab to/from the airport, please get in touch!  Where abouts are you planning on staying?

This is my fourth year in Kalkan.  Absolutely love it - and would defo travel alone.  You will have no problems at all.  The locals are really friendly, as are most of the holiday makers there.  Hope you have a lovely trip!

Offline Lauren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
Im still hoping for a transfer share but if im not lucky enough to find one i think i will definatly be using the transfers4u shuttle as it comes so highly recommended.
Cheshirecat - I wont be there till 25th Sept so wont be able to meet but thanx for the advice. Im staying at The Pirat, has anyone stayed there before?

Offline tuttifrutti

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »
Hi Lauren, I've stayed there many times, it is a good place for you if you're on your own-central position, no taxis to worry about and the staff are really nice. I'm sure you will like it there

Offline Bella

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »
I shall be returning to Kalkan, Leaving London Gatwick at 19.10 Sept 1st arriving at Dalaman 01.15hrs.Thos Cook flight TCX287K.
I should be travelling with my sister but she has not been well and may have to cancel.
Anyway I would be willing to share a Taxi if anyone is interested. Should know by the weekend if I shall be using  a Taxi or Transfers4you
jennifersonjon@hotmail.com

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
Bella,
There is a dedicated section for sharing Transfers. You may get a better response, posting there, rather than tagging it on to this thread.
Good Luck
joan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Returning to Kalkan in June

Started by Truffle1049 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 11:12:35 AM
by Melek
xx
Returning to Kalkan after 26 years!

Started by Jann on Introduce Yourself

16 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 07:20:34 PM
by Jann
xx
Hello - I'm new and returning to Kalkan after a 5 year break

Started by ShazzaA on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 11:26:07 AM
by ShazzaA
xx
We are returning

Started by Lynne T on Introduce Yourself

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2017, 11:25:24 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal