Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Dogs  (Read 43483 times)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Local Dogs
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »
Well said DianeK and comments from someone who lives in Kalkan and experiences the dog problem on an all year round basis and not just a few weeks a year has a more realistic view of the situation, as do the other residents who have posted about the dogs.  What a shame that your own dog feels intimidated and you cannot take it for a walk without the the risk of it been attacked.  Clearly this problem needs to be dealt with by the authorities and I agree that whilst KAPSA is doing a great job of neutering and trying to re-home strays it needs to be regulated properly by the Belidye.  As a dog lover (we have 3 rescue dogs) I agree that owners should take responsibility for their animals and keep their dogs at home or on a leash so that the true strays can be identified and humanely put down if they cannot be re-homed.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
Well said Dianek and Kalkanbelle,I agree.  :)
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Here here
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
At the end of May this year, my friend who was out jogging early in the morning was bitten by a big brown dog with a brown collar (so it has an owner).  The dog thought it was a game and chased after her together with another black and brown dog called Pepper Pot which also chased her but didn''t bite.  The dog went for her calf, fortunately its teeth didn''t penetrate, but it left a big bruise. This was a painful and frightening experience for her.  Should owners not be told they cannot let their dogs run wild?

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »
At last some people who actually talk sense & who are more concerned about human life!!

I have never been anywhere in Turkey that has such a huge dog problem as Kalkan does & I totally blame the tourists, if you watch the dogs they only follows the tourists, you never see them follow the Turks, don''t ask me how they know the difference but it''s the truth, it''s the tourists that sit in restaurants & fed them their meals which personally I think is mad as I wouldn''t waste such a lovely meal on a dog, especially when they get lovely juicy bones from the butcher! It''s the tourists that make a fuss over them & now they are flocking to Kalkan as they know they''ll get fed!

I am frightened of dogs but so far they haven''t put me off going to Kalkan, if something doesn''t get done then there will be more animals in Kalkan than humans which I''m sure some animal rights campaigners would think that was great!!

p.s. I would never hurt an animal or agree with animal cruelty I just care more about humans!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »
Dalyan has a simlar,if not worse dog problem,a lot of the bars,hotels ect have those sonic gadgets to keep
the dogs away,and they do work,when we stayed in Dalyan,I was sat at the hotel bar inthe early hours,and there was a pack of about 15 dogs at the gate,fighting and doing what dogs do,the bar lad just pointed the gadget at them and pushed the button,no sound,but you should have seen them move.
Anyone who is scared of dogs or just doesnt want to be bothered by them,get one of these gadgets.

;D >:D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
Just bought one the"gadgets"on ebay,they are called dog chasers.£8.98 inc p&p.  ;D

Look out you damned dalmation !!!!!! >:D

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 04:32:11 PM »
ha ha, you get him!! They sound like good gadgets actually & might get one myself.

To be honest dogs are a pain in my life wherever I am, even in this country, I don''t go to places where I know people will have their dogs off their leads as it makes me feel too uncomfortable, I wouldn''t stop going to Kalkan because of the dogs, but it would make my time in Kalkan a lot better if it wasn''t such a problem, don''t get me wrong some of the dogs are lovely but some are not!!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »
I like dogs myself lougie,I have two of my own,but in kalkan that dalmation is the only one who has had a go at me,and he seems to be the leader of all the rumpus at night on Kalamar rd,as he lives at a hotel up there,and I know he has eaten,yes eaten two of my friends cats.  :o

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
Save the pussys ! ! !

Offline spinal tap

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
As a fellow resident in Kalkan like DianeK and owner of 2 dogs, totally agree with her comments.  The problem though is more complex than tourists think.  KAPSA do a sterling job with spaying animals but they are also up against other problems like trying to reeducate Turkish people to be responsible for their animals, like it or not there are plenty of dogs on the streets that are owned by Turkish people who seem to think putting a collar on a dog and letting it lose is dog ownership.  Equally Kalkan has to deal with dogs and puppies being dumped in Kalkan from nearby villages. Culling is not something I agree on but understand dog population has got out of hand, am sure local vets would carry this out but would be worried it would revert back to poisoning which has happened in the past and is a truly awful way for an animal to die.  As for the belidiye, yes they should be the ones to do something, maybe with a new mayor something can be done, not too sure if they could organise it but a licensing programme might be a good idea, if they cottoned on they may make some money out of it there may be more of an incentive.  I appreciate it is a problem for tourists, but those that feed these animals when on holiday should think about the long term implications, it is often the residents who have to deal with the fall out of this, ie packs of dogs relocating to certain areas because they have been fed in the past.  Let''s hope in time this can be resolved for both residents and tourists.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
Eaten the cats, my god, that is a nasty dog!!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
It is indeed very nasty dog,last year the owner was spoken to by kapsa (I think).but in may this year it was still running around up Kalamar rd and in town,its a right nutter,I would advise anyone who comes across it to cross the street,just in case its got a strop on.
if it comes near me in august I am going to zap it !  ;D >:D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
We can talk / write /moan / defend or whatever about the dog problem until the cows ( there you go, theres an idea, and they don''t bite ! ) come home and it wont make a nats bit of difference...........Its the belidiye we / you / me should be talking /writing too, they are the only ones who can sort this out ?   >:D ??? >:D ???

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:02 PM »
So,I think we can take it that you have written and spoken to them,what was the responce KD ?

Maybe we can start a on line petition ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:12:00 PM by fidimax »

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »
I don''t think as tourists we have a right to do anything about it do we?

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
Maybe Lougie,but,if any of the ex pats or owners have a problem with the dogs it might get some response.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2009, 04:52:37 PM »
fidimax, I posted on a similar thread last year about that Dalmation. I love dogs, but I was very wary of him and told my partner to cross over so we wouldn''t encounter said dog. Seems like my instincts were right!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
Ha Ha Ha......you know by what I posted that I have not contacted the belidiye, I was just making the point that we can moan all we like and it wont change a thing, thats all, no more than that  :) >:D :) >:D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »
                                               ;D >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
'Local tax'

Started by patchadwick on Accommodation Discounts & Special Offers

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
by onelove
xx
local rag

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
recycled
Local butchers

Started by xicede on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 02:41:56 PM
by xicede
recycled
Local supermarkets

Started by xicede on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 02:42:28 PM
by xicede

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sunset

Views: 4106
By: irfan
Sakilkent Gorge