Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Dogs  (Read 43430 times)

Offline jcac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Local Dogs
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »
Hi, had a great time last year so family returning to Kalkan for 2009 holiday :-) only 1 problem and that is that last year there were a lot of dogs patrolling the Kalmar Road (which we walked down every evening) and some were intimidating. Is this still a problem??

Thanks
John

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3621.0

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Local Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
Yes the dogs are still patrolling the road.If you like Kalkan but not the dogs why not bring out a hand held electronic dog deterrent (the sort joggers and postmen use)They only cost about a tenner and would stop any over enthusiastic dogs from getting too close.(harmless to the dogs and used as training aids). Very similar in size to a mobile phone.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Just don''t put it in your hand luggage or you will be in big trouble not to sure how you would stand if they found it in you checked in luggage as well !!!

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »
WHY? They are not illegal and are on sale openly.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
OK then just show it to them when you check in I''m sure they will wave you through no problems and let you play with it in the cabin !!!   

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
You did not answer the question, why would you be in big trouble? They can be bought in Turkey. I did not suggest carrying them in hand luggage or playing with one in the cabin(Doh) although even if you did it would not affect anyone in the plane or the avionics . They come without batteries and one would normally transport still in the packaging(well most "normal" people would). Unlike transporting TVs radio''s etc in luggage (which is illegal unless declared and duty paid and for which you can get in "big trouble"), I did not know you were not allowed to bring one in.I answered a post about someone coming to Kalkan and being worried about dogs, rather than suggest not coming I made what I thought was a sensible and harmless suggestion. I repeat Please share your superior Knowledge with me. Why would you get in big trouble?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
You first post said "bring out" the item...... 

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
Now, now gents- perhaps it might be best to have this argument off the forum ? ::)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »
Who''s arguing.....I just pointed out that you would not be able to take such a device on an aircraft  ;)

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:14 PM »
that sounds a good idea howmad if its possible....the dogs scare the life out of me

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »

Whilst these devices are not specifically mentioned, the BAA website for Gatwick states the following under its list of prohibited items;

"In addition to the regulations set out by the Department for Transport and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Gatwick Airport may restrict any item considered to pose a security or safety risk from passing through to the departure lounge."

I suspect you would have to convince security, if challenged, that no such threat was posed.  Having had a highly dangerous unopened bottle of mouthwash (150ml - so yes it was my fault for exceeding the 100ml rule!) confiscated last month I suspect security would ask you to hand it over.

The website says nothing about not being able to take it in your hold luggage.  Hope this helps.

Offline kalkanbabe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
Has anyone actually been bitten by the dogs?

I remember seeing them last year.  I''m a bit wary of dogs but nothing happened to make me feel uncomfortable.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 09:26:13 AM »
Cull cull cull ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »
When I was out in the Middle East, the last day of the month was dog cull day...all wild dogs were shot..drastic I know but it worked.     

Offline timwhit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
I think there are less dogs than there used to be , am i right in thinking that the ones with the tags in their ears have neutered ?? ,

Offline streety

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »
Misty, where can you buy these in the UK. My husband is a runner and the dogs drive him bonkers when he is in Kalkan and being chased down the road - it would also be a useful item to leave for our clients.
Thx

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
When I was out in the Middle East, the last day of the month was dog cull day...all wild dogs were shot..drastic I know but it worked.     

Quite convenient for the Korean market, and a nice little earner I''d have thought. Need to get the carcases into a refrigerated box van pronto though.

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
As I understand it, the large majority of ''street dogs'' in Kalkan are owned and not stray. i think it would be wrong therefore to ''cull cull cull''. Turks are not Brits and do not all think about their animals in the same way many Brits do. They live outside the house, are fed and cared for but not ''pampered''. In fact many Turks believe dogs to be unclean and wouldn''t dream of touching never mind owning one.

I personally would not advocate using a stun stick for the same reason, they are not your dog I find it hard to believe they are used as a training aid as treats and encouragement are far more effective surely.

Just for interest, does anyone out their carry one of these ''weapons'' in the UK?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »
Misty, where can you buy these in the UK. My husband is a runner and the dogs drive him bonkers when he is in Kalkan and being chased down the road - it would also be a useful item to leave for our clients.
Thx

Don''t know.... I only stated that you couldn''t take such an item on an aircraft  ;) ;)

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »
Misty

On what grounds can you not take one of these on an aircraft (hand or hold luggage)?  I checked what the CAA regulations are and as you will see from my earlier post they are not specifically mentioned as prohibited although security would need to be certain they posed no threat.  Have you read something I haven''t?

(I''ve no intention of taking one by the way!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
local rag

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
'Local tax'

Started by patchadwick on Accommodation Discounts & Special Offers

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
by onelove
recycled
Local Transport

Started by MD on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 08:36:53 PM
by kalkan4eva
recycled
Local butchers

Started by xicede on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 02:41:56 PM
by xicede

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

sun

Views: 4211
By: irfan
Kalkan 1996