Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Dogs  (Read 43434 times)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: Local Dogs
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »
"stun stick"  ??? ??? am I missing something? i assumed the object mentioned was the one which emits a high pitched noise as the deterrent and isn''t actually used to touch an animal.

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
Nice to see that there are a few dog lovers on this site - NOT!!  You can''t just go around and ''stun'' a dog, the dogs and cats are part and parcel of Kalkan life.  I personally would like to get a stun gun to ''stun'' anyone who walks around Kalkan in a football shirt.... I await the comments!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
Who said the Brits are a nation of animal lovers.....  :) :) Saying that the dogs can be quite intimidating for the young children but I found if you ignore them no problems. We used to have la lovely dog that used to come and see us at the villa two or three times a day for his bisquits and milk, unfortunately he met a terrible end.

Nice one about the football shirt wearing brigade if you see a Southampton supporter turn your stun gun to max  >:D >:D   

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »
For the record I have not advocated any sort of cull or use of any sort of stun gun. Anybody who would go round with a stun gun is crazy. This is like Chinese whispers. The device emits an ultrasonic sound which humans cannot hear and does not harm the dog. They are widely used in the UK and worldwide to help train dogs and by professionals who need to discourage dogs from attacking them. They can be bought online from lots of places in the UK as well as worldwide and Turkey. They are not illegal and are not included in any banned item list for airlines. Like all electrical type equipment, if they do not have the batteries they are not a problem especially if carried in hold luggage. As I live here the sound of dogs barking all night no longer bothers me and for the most part the street dogs are harmless, although I do accept that that they can be intimidating at times.I have seen many dogs attacked by other dogs including one I sometimes feed when it arrives on my doorstep having been abandoned again by its non pampering owner.
 Personally I am more worried about the venomous snakes ,scorpions and spiders and of course tattooed Brits in football shirts although again I accept that they have the right to life and we should all try to avoid alarming them as they can be very temperamental.

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
Now I am really worried  :o nobody told me about the snakes and scorpions!! Although I have seen the occasional tattooed brit with a football shirt!! Now I must remember to pack the stun gun.

On a serious note; it can be intimidating for the youngsters and even people who don''t like animals, but like Misty says the best way is to ignore them and they just walk away, they soon realise when they not wanted.

Offline streety

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »
Thank goodness you have clarified the fact that this is a high pitched noise instrument (as I thought) not a stun gun.  If I bought my husband one of these he might start prodding me with it if i don''t behave!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »
I saw a massive snake last August.......but I believe they are all harmless.....Scorpions are also non lethal....but maybe a child or older person might have some problems.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 09:14:53 PM »
I''m not so sure that the dogs go away if you ignore them; last week, I was followed from the top of Kalamar road all the way into the market by three dogs!!

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »
Not all snakes are harmless - there are several poisonous varieties. The usual rules apply - if bitten try to kill the snake for identification and get medical attention immediately. The local clinic carries anti-venom serum but they cannot treat if snake is not identified. There are some nasty varieties of scorpion too - not usually lethal, but if victim is a child or elderly or adult with other health problems? Keep cats and chickens for protection and avoid those pretty local dry stone walls with the cracks and crevices that scorpions just love. But this has nothing to do with dogs - I could go on for hours about the local packs but I won''t. Generally I like dogs, but if one attempts to bite me or a member of my family it will die, quickly by hand.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »
There are far to many dogs on the streets its only a matter of time that someone ( small child etc ) get badly hurt, they chase after anything, sniff around your dinner table and its horrible, the only sure fire way to sort it out is to Cull them, its best for all in the end  ??? ??? ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Hi all, how bad are the dogs?  One does not want dogs jumping up with dusty paws when we are dressed up for our evening meal.  If thought necessary i will obtain one of these devices in order to keep them away in the evening.  During the day we will happily give them treats and fuss. 
Kind regards all  :) not long now

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »
Well, if you don''t want the dogs jumping up at you at night & making a mess of your clothes, then really last thing you want to do is make a fuss & feed them during the day. That''s not fair to the dogs. ::)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Stop getting so silly you lot. Ignore the dogs and they ignore you. If you really are that scared just get a water pistol - tried and tested on our 3 dogs and a well known deterrent.
No need for anything else including culling.

Wendy.

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
Well said Wendy !!

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Well, if you don''''t want the dogs jumping up at you at night & making a mess of your clothes, then really last thing you want to do is make a fuss & feed them during the day. That''''s not fair to the dogs. ::)
Well, you see, we have two dogs of our own and this is never a problem as they are much loved members of the family.  However, i refer to
There are far to many dogs on the streets its only a matter of time that someone ( small child etc ) get badly hurt, they chase after anything, sniff around your dinner table and its horrible, the only sure fire way to sort it out is to Cull them, its best for all in the end  ??? ??? ???
this is a strong statement and i was merely wanting advice on the severity of the situation.  I did not expect advice on animal cruelty!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »
If small kids, kept chasing people, cars, anything that moves for that matter, and then kept trying to jump up at you with dirty hands and dribbling on you, then started shouting and screaming at you ( barking) when you told them to stop, you or I would want to know why the parents are not looking after them properly.....why then is it OK for dogs to do this.? ? ?   There is a time and place for everyone and everything, and wild dogs are not right for Kalkan so I think they need Culling, as I dont go on holiday to be chased by wild dogs, I can do this at many sink estates not to far from us at home.....Sorry just dont understand why there is a lot of fuss about this, just get rid of them....problem solved ! ! !  :)  >:D :) >:D :)

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 06:59:22 AM »
Kalamar Dream

I have to agree with you. Culling is natural, neutering isn''t. I for one am sick of paying vet''s bills for other peoples'' animals, medical bills for my wife who got bitten by one of the same animals and tolerating people who dump their sick pets in our garden, use us as an animal hospital, then steal the prettier of their pets back when they''re fit and well.
Kalkan needs a dog pound. Owners should have to licence pets and take responsibility for them. Summer owners should desist from disrupting nature in an environs of which they themselves are only visitors. Since none of these will happen, culling is the only solution - surprise, surprise that''s what they used to do here before interfering foreigners took over.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »
Going back to my previous post about dogs been shot on the last day of the month......it was not for the faint hearted as the dogs were shot where they were found, mainly in the street then the carcases would be collect up to be cremated. It was only after pressure from the Brits that the local authorities agreed to round them up first and take them away for culling.

I have to say it certainly cured the problem, but these dogs were wild and in some cases rabid and hunted in large packs on a scale not seen thankfully in Kalkan. We had a little mongrel that I was convinced knew it was the last day of the month as he used to turn up at our house for us to keep him in doors for 24 hours  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »
Perhaps KAPSA could give us an update on the stray situation now that the season has started.  Are they aware of less or more dogs this year and have all the ''wild'' dogs in the village been neutered?  Their website diary hasn''t been updated since January so there''s no means of checking there.  Yes a dog pound would be fantastic and should be made a priority by the Belidye if they want to encourage tourism.  The dogs are a problem for some people and can be intimidating when they roam in packs and fight each other.  It''s time the authorities did something about it and made it a priority.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Hi All,
Stuck in the middle here. Don''t mind the dogs ourselves(we have 2). However, came out this May with our son, daughter in law and 8 month old grandson. DIL petrified of dogs. It was a job getting her down even as far as the Merkez. She was also worried about the baby in the buggy. There are a lot of people who have these fears and Denise is a lot better than she used to be. By the time she was coming home she only got really upset when a pack of 3 or 4 approached. It was just a feeling, but I think there were less on the streets this year. They can also be a real pain when you come down to 2 ruined sunbeds in the morning with paw prints all over them and ripped to bits with the stuffing all over the patio.
Unfortunately common sense should rule here. At home stray dogs are humanely put down and over the years we have seen quite a few sick and aggresive dogs roaming the streets. Perhaps we could have a local government statement on what is happening.
Rx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
local rag

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
'Local tax'

Started by patchadwick on Accommodation Discounts & Special Offers

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
by onelove
recycled
Local Transport

Started by MD on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 08:36:53 PM
by kalkan4eva
recycled
Local butchers

Started by xicede on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 02:41:56 PM
by xicede

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal