Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Markets  (Read 2756 times)

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Markets
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
Hi All,

I know there is a market in Kalkan (on a Thursday?),  but what is it like?  What kind of things do they sell?  Also, are there other markets in local towns (Kas, etc) that are worth a visit?  I want to buy art, an evil eye or two, that kind of stuff.  Not interested in ''Gucci'' bags or whatever...

Thanks, Claire.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3399.0

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Markets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:38:42 PM »
Fresh fruit and veg great the rest is made up of mainly of fake tat.......  :laugh:

Offline yoyo

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
Still worth a visit though.  You''ll find lots of ''evil eyes'' to choose from, ceramics, silver jewellery, and the ''tat''.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
I really enjoy going to the market it really is an experience and I usually come back with all sorts. The towels that we have bought from there are great and there are nice jewellary and trinket stalls. It''s not somewhere you would shop every week (except for the fruit) but worth a visit whilst on holiday.

Julie x

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »
The last time I went I took my eyes off the ball for just a few seconds. Probably some scantily clad totty. The whole place was teeming with people. My youngest daughter just vanished. I never criticised the Mc Cann''s again after that. Found her five minutes later with the missus, but that was five minutes of rushing back and forth in a blind panic thinking she''d been abducted and I was genuinely terrified for the first time in many years.

Apart from that, its great. But not with young kids!!

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
Thanks all.  Anyone been to the Fethiye or Kas markets?

Blackpool - what a nightmare.  Thank god all OK though.

Gonna stock up on those evil eyes, I love ''em!  >:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »
Fethiye market is bigger but selling basically the same stuff(tues),Kas is on Fridays..it just moves along from Kalkan....i love a market !! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
Fethiye is the biggest market - but as BL says, they all sell the same things. I''m not sure I''ve ever seen art for sale in the markets, though. There are a few craft stalls, but they are few and far between. We shop for our grown up kids who love the fake stuff, then go off round the food. We buy tons of fruit and veg..it''s amazing!!! Don''t miss out on the opportunity to experience this part of the market, it''s a real treat!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
Why not try Kinik market on a Friday. It''s quite large and very Turkish- no touristy stuff there - but you can buy or just look at the selling live sheep, goats ducks, chickens and fish and also lots of cheap fruit and vegetables, along with cheese and olives. Also has a good section with clothes, kitchenware, plants etc etc...............and it''s all a lot cheaper than Kalkan
You can combine a visit with a visit to Xanthos as the market is situated only a five minute walk to the site

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
Why not try Kinik market on a Friday. It''''s quite large and very Turkish- no touristy stuff there - but you can buy or just look at the selling live sheep, goats ducks, chickens and fish and also lots of cheap fruit and vegetables, along with cheese and olives. Also has a good section with clothes, kitchenware, plants etc etc...............and it''''s all a lot cheaper than Kalkan
You can combine a visit with a visit to Xanthos as the market is situated only a five minute walk to the site

Sounds great, thank you! 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Markets/Shopping in Kalkan

Started by surreydinks on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

15 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 11:19:00 PM
by fitwenchdidyell
question
Shops, supermarkets, markets etc

Started by amberpop on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

16 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 05:42:58 AM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kas Harbour

Views: 3866
By: cer
Yildiz 2 & 3