Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Buying advice - split from Hello  (Read 15457 times)

Offline christopple

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Buying advice - split from Hello
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 07:05:18 AM »
Hi my discussion on this matter is now closed, we are still very happy to have bought in Kalkan and we love our villa and have made some lovely friends. these things happen in any country you choose to buy in, I have friends in Spain who have had worse problems than us. Best wishes to everyone resident in Kalkan and happy holidays to those who only visit a couple of times a year like us. 

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Does anybody know what happened to the original post which started this thread form Abbo,
it doesn''t seem to be here anymore.
 If I remember, the original question was about how big an offer should be made on properties in kalkan in the current market,
 without this initial post this thread seems to begin with a little advertising for an estate agency
any moderators out there who can help?
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »
Its in the ''Introduce yourself section'' under Hello.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »
Hi,

Whilst this thread will no doubt become a hot topic - please can I remind all members to ensure that whilst opinions may vary respect to fellow members and their opinions should always be shown.

Any breaches of the MMR policy shall be enforced.

Thanks
Jon

Offline carolk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »
Hi Rat 2

I was more thinking about resales like my present house.  I would definitely use one in those circumstances.  They could tell you about the things we cant see, we wouldn''t buy without one in the UK.  I do however take your point with new builds.

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 05:19:15 AM »
Hi rat2,

you say

''Posting anything detremental (e.g. naming and shaming poor builders) could have far more serious consequences than legal action and members would be well advised not to do so. Say what you will in private but this country, beautiful as it is, does not have freedom of speech - public criticism of the government (national or local), the system or individuals is a very dangerous practice.''

sounds like you have had a bad experience and are now frightened, what do you mean by
''far more serious consequences than legal action''

Sounds very threatening.....  perhaps an explanation

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 06:31:05 AM »
Knowing Rat2, he is not easily frightened. He is however a realist, which is quite an important quality if you live in Turkey. As he says, there is not freedom of speech in Turkey.  There are many instances of people facing criminal legal action who have been perceived to be critical of the state, the government or the all encompassing  term ''Turkishness'' .  Many of those prosecuted have been internationally renowned authors, journalists and commentators. Some of them have been murdered after being perceived to be critical of Turkey. (Hrant Dink for example).

Posters on this forum would do well to acquaint themselves with the laws and cultural mores in Turkey. On the whole, foreigners have to tread very carefully here (see the results of the survey which Joan posted earlier in the week)  It is really only in the past 15 years that the concept of foreigners buying and  living here has developed.  We are still very much under the spotlight and what we do and say can be easily misinterpreted and can cause offense. This is no different to how the first major wave of foreign immigrants to the UK in the 50''s were treated.

Turks are very nationalistic and are very proud of their country. Whilst they will often be highly critical among themselves of various aspects of life here, criticism by foreigners, quite often ill informed criticism at that, is neither welcome nor understood. But again, think of any village in the UK and imagine the reception that would be given to newly arrived foreign residents criticising all aspects of local society.

You are not posting in the UK, you are posting internationally and if your posts are deemed to be offensive or libellous, the EK website could easily be banned here, as many hundreds of other websites have been. Of course we all know how to get round bans with proxy servers but that is not the point. Jon did not start EK in order to find imself and the website designated an enemy of the Turkish state.

So please get real Kim 21, this is primarily a holiday forum, it is not a vehicle for ''naming and shaming''. Those of us who live here or who have bought here and are happy with the experience - even when they have had to fix things themselves - enjoy being part of the local community and feel very lucky to be so readily accepted - we do not want to be part of a witch hunt against local businesses.  The pluses here for most people always far outweigh the minuses. That''s why we''re here.

Many of the comments which you have made on the forum seem to be rather naive, perhaps deliberately so. Either you have the confidence to buy here or you don''t. Your enquiries can be made in private.They do not have to be public.

If you want advice seek it privately.

Lantana

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
Very well put Lantana.

....... and here ends this thread.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Planning on buying a house in Kalkan - would love your advice..

Started by iukuk on Buying A Property & Real Estate

19 Replies
Last post December 09, 2014, 08:44:57 PM
by EK Moderator
xx
Re: Hi- split topic

Started by MarkBDixon on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 02:02:56 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Kalkan Alternatives - Split from anything bad about Kalk

Started by Kim on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
by ginger1
xx
Heating a pool- Split topic

Started by rat2 on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
by hobbo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Relaxing by the pool

Views: 3159
By: misty
EK 70s Night