Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Heating a pool- Split topic  (Read 7711 times)

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Heating a pool- Split topic
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »
Hi, and welcome to EK. Can''''t really say how long to heat your pool; it depends on the power of the heater. I can help with minimising pool costs - they are much cheaper to run than most people think. If you PM me, before you start buying chemicals, I''''ll elaborate.

r2

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2880.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:08:01 PM by joanH »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Hi everyboby I'm new !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »
Hi and welcome to the Forum Maryharvie - just shout if you have any other questions!!  There is bound to be somebody amongst our many members who can help you!

I am surprised to hear that you heat your pool - I didnt think any pools in Kalkan were heated - out of interest - does anybody else have a heated pool..??  Is it expensive..??  How is it heated?

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
Welcome maryharvie.

...I am surprised to hear that you heat your pool - I didnt think any pools in Kalkan were heated - out of interest - does anybody else have a heated pool..??  Is it expensive..??  How is it heated?

Cheers!

We have an electrically heated pool - shockingly ( ;D) expensive to run, drawing, as it does 18kw but vital if the kids are to swim at Easter without coming out blue. I am currently ( ;D) looking into alternative systems for heating such as an air / water heat exchanging device which is supposedly more efficient. The biggest headache is a actually sourcing a convenient insulated cover for use during heat - up. I''''ve been quoted some outrageous prices for an automated system imported from Spain. Turkey does''''nt seem to have heard of them yet, but I feel this would be the answer for a quick warm up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:19:34 PM by Blackpool »

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
Blackpool

Yes ''heat pumps'' are very good and have a coefficient of performance between 3-5 (i.e. if you use 4.5 kW of electricity to ''drive'' a unit, you will get about 18kW of heat from it). They are, however, very expensive mainly being imported from Germany (AEG, Stiebel etc.) - an HP capable of providing hot water for a 3 bedroom villa costs about £9,000. There may be a much cheaper alternative to extend the swimming season, if not giving year-round heating. There is a company in Fethiye selling ''solar sun rings'' which sit on the pool surface, absorb solar energy, warm the water and provide thermal insulation at night to prevent heat loss. I haven''t tried them but I can give you the company details if you PM me (they also supply heat pumps).

r2

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
Hi,
  There is a company in Istanbul, which sells all the latest pool equipment including heaters and covers. Gadgets you want and ones you can''''t afford. www.astralhavuz.com.tr   They are a branch of astral pools.
The product guides are fairly comprehensive. You need to click onto the corporate website at the top of the page.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:02:45 PM by howmad »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
Re: Heating a pool- Split topic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
We have been considering one of Astral''''s 18kW pool heaters but fear that the electricity would be too costly. For a pool of 9.5 x 4.5 meters, what might we expect to pay to heat the water, based on your experience, Blackpool?

-------------  Just read this -----------

How Do Solar Sun Rings Work?

At night the contained air acts as an insulating blanket to retain heat gained during daylight. Solar Sun Rings are equipped with six magnets to improve clarity and decrease hardness of the water in your pool. The magnets are positioned to facilitate rafting. The strength of the magnets will permit single position removal but will easily separate to prevent entrapment in accidental falls.

Neither water nor pool chemicals can evaporate through the Solar Sun Rings two layers of heavyweight vinyl. You will save water and chemicals about equal to the percentage of the surface covered. Once the water in your pool has reached adequate temperature, Solar Sun Rings may be turned over to conserve water by limiting evaporation without significantly heating the water.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Based upon last years bills (I understand there has been another big price rise since then) our electricity worked out at about 20p per kw hour.  At this price running an £18kw pool heater will cost around £3.60 per hour. while it is heating up the water, plus whatever is required to keep it warm during the day. If you don''t have a pool cover all of this heat/money will be lost overnight.

Some friends in mid France, who have an unheated pool, have managed to double the time they can comfortably use the pool by spending approx £800 on installing a solar cover plus two solar heating panels (lots of info on the internet - but couldnt find any local suppiers)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PS Is it really that cold in Turkey in April. This year for the first time we are going out at Easter to our unheated pool, will we freeze or is Felicity just being a bit of a Wus.

Regards

Alan   

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Alan
The water will be cold. You''ll still be able to use your pool, brisk swims not lazing about in the water like July.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
If you''re very hardy and enjoy freezing water, you''ll be just fine.  Most of the pools aren''t even cleaned or treated for swimming yet.

I don''t swim before the beginning of June.  In France I saw a pool with a hard plastic raised cover and 2 solar panels.  Too expensive to import.  I am looking into a solar blanket, but those need a roller and the roller is big and bulky to import.

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
we know people who have a gite in the cognac region. They use these covers which they swear by. I''m going to get some for our pool. Will be bringing out in Spring so will report back when we''ve tried them
Here''s the link for those who are interested

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool-covers/solarsunring.htm

Bevjam
Carpe diem

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
Bevjam,

Those are the solar rings which I referred to earlier - they''re available in Fethiye.

r2

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
Oh great. do you know how much they are? That would save me a lot of hassle.Please could you PM me with an address? I don''t want people to think we''re advertising.
BJ

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »
Based upon last years bills (I understand there has been another big price rise since then) our electricity worked out at about 20p per kw hour.  At this price running an £18kw pool heater will cost around £3.60 per hour. while it is heating up the water, plus whatever is required to keep it warm during the day. If you don''''t have a pool cover all of this heat/money will be lost overnight....
Regards

Alan   

Thanks for that Alan. The problem we have is just that - you can burn the 18kw 24 hours a day and certainly last October the heater was, even after 4 days continuous usage, only just taking the ''edge'' off. It would reach about 24 degrees C, and at that temperature the 18kw heater was all in. Heat loss and input were in equilibrium. My feeling is that with a proper insulated cover on a roller then getting our management team to flick the heating on a couple of days before arrival should, I am hoping, cure the problem to a great extent.

The manner of installation of the cover is all - important for me. I''ve had plenty in the past that ranged from merely awkward, to those that were impossible for one person to manage, and then difficult to move away from the area during periods of heavy pool use, so I did as I say get quotes for a permanently sited automated cover which worked on a roller - shutter principle with runners fixed down the length of the pool to guide the lats, but my flight of fancy was going to cost £9k - before fitting!

I''ll be interested to hear how people get on with the solar rings.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »
Hi

How did anyone get on with the solar rings or any other method of warming up the pool last Spring?  Has anyone tried to use a solar panel?

Offline RobertMulkey

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »
Hi and welcome to the Forum Maryharvie - just shout if you have any other questions!!  There is bound to be somebody amongst our many members who can help you!

I am surprised to hear that you heat your pool - I didnt think any pools in Kalkan were heated - out of interest - does anybody else have a heated pool..??  Is it expensive..??  How is it heated?

Cheers!

Hi there!

Yes some pools can be heated. Usually inground pools are the type of pools that are being heated because it doesn't have soft walls compared to above ground pools.  There are pool heaters that are specially made to just make your pool heat. It is usually done during winters to avoid the total coldness of the water in the pool.

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
for those who like diy projects
a home made solar heating system for pool with maths..
http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/solar_pool_heater_diy_fp.htm

I was in our pool a couple of days ago and it could have done with a few more c's  :o

Stuart
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Re: Hi- split topic

Started by MarkBDixon on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 02:02:56 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Pool heating

Started by yaknyc on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 01:47:12 PM
by Friese
xx
Pool Heating

Started by Kalkan regular on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 06:05:25 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
swimming pool heating

Started by onelove on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 07:21:06 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

mr torty

Views: 3571
By: jujus
Harbour