Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Election in Kalkan - 29th March 2009  (Read 44959 times)

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Local Election in Kalkan - 29th March 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
Hi,
Thank God, At last someone with some vision of what Kalkan can be and keeping it a special place. With ideas of how to help the flooding situation, water problems, roads and sewage. If I could vote he certainly would have mine.
T

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
Grumpygrampy, why so cynical?  Have you followed politics here in Kalkan in the last 10 years? The money needed for the projects outlined in the CHP website has always been there but the tragedy for Kalkan has been that it has not been spent for the public good.

The CHP do not have the power to increase local taxes, that is a national issue. Without any increase in taxes, if they actually spend the money which is currently allocated nationally and locally for improvements in civil society and local infra structure, all of these plans are achievable.

However, all of the Brits who live here permanently or own property here who I have spoken to, would willingly pay more local taxes, (which as kalkan Regular has pointed out are just a fraction of anything you would pay in the UK ) in order to benefit everyone who lives or visits here and to help develop the full potential of Kalkan.   We might then expect to see such services as sewage treatment, effective rubbish collection, street maintenance and utility provision  - which are taken for granted in the UK - effectively implemented here.

I find it quite surprising that your first reaction to a very positive outline plan for the future development of Kalkan is a negative comment about cost. In a community such as this, most of us recognise that we cannot live here for nothing and willingly pay our local taxes.

As CHP have now been confirmed as the winners of the election we can look forward to seeing some developments here which will improve the quality of life for everyone whether they are Turkish, foreign residents, non-resident property owners or tourists.

Let''s give them a chance to demonstrate what they can do before finding fault on non-existent issues.

Lantana

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:26 AM »
The local people on the street must care! They voted him in!!
As an irregular visitor and property owner, lets give the new guy a chance! Didn''t the last Mayor switch parties?? All we would like are civic amenities similar to home. A nice street and no pot holes, less flooding,a bit of light as we go home,the chance of a reasonable taxi/dolmus service and the electricity to work now and then. We don''t mind paying a bit more for this!  Change is sometimes for the better??
Rx

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
I was very disappointed to see the building work going on last week in what had previously been designated green belt. This was a recent agreement by the last mayor. It sounds like the CHP will do much more for the local people and I would rather pay good money for a better environment than further building. There are many properties already available for sale/ resale other aspects need serious review.

BJ
Carpe diem

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
This sounds like a breath of fresh air for Kalkan and it will be fantastic if the improvements the new mayor wants to make are carried out.  In any case there''s no such thing as a free lunch and in my opinion you get what you pay for so if the council tax goes up I think it''s justified.  We pay huge taxes here in the UK yet the country is almost bankrupt and it''s not likely to change for years to come which is so depressing.  However each time I go to Kalkan I can actually see where the council tax we pay is being spent as there are big improvements with roads being built, street lighting and the new sewage system etc etc.  I think they show a great example of how local taxpayers money should be spent and that you can see where your money goes.  Shame it''s not the case over here.  GO KALKAN!

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
Well said Lantana, :) Also Thank you for the news regarding the confirmation of the new Mayor, I for one would gladly pay more to see Kalkan kept a special place. For the Turkish, foreign residents, non-resident property owners or tourists, to have a great place with all the services working effectively.
 Sorry to hear that building has already started on the green belt land. Is it the land near The Pirat? the land they all said would never be built on!!!!!!!!!!
best regards
T

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
I was told today that although the CHP result had been upheld in court, that judgement has been challenged and so the final outcome for Kalkan may not be known for a bit longer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:37:45 PM by howmad »

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »
Grumpygrampy, why so cynical?  Have you followed politics here in Kalkan in the last 10 years? The money needed for the projects outlined in the CHP website has always been there but the tragedy for Kalkan has been that it has not been spent for the public good.

The CHP do not have the power to increase local taxes, that is a national issue. Without any increase in taxes, if they actually spend the money which is currently allocated nationally and locally for improvements in civil society and local infra structure, all of these plans are achievable.

However, all of the Brits who live here permanently or own property here who I have spoken to, would willingly pay more local taxes, (which as kalkan Regular has pointed out are just a fraction of anything you would pay in the UK ) in order to benefit everyone who lives or visits here and to help develop the full potential of Kalkan.   We might then expect to see such services as sewage treatment, effective rubbish collection, street maintenance and utility provision  - which are taken for granted in the UK - effectively implemented here.

I find it quite surprising that your first reaction to a very positive outline plan for the future development of Kalkan is a negative comment about cost. In a community such as this, most of us recognise that we cannot live here for nothing and willingly pay our local taxes.

As CHP have now been confirmed as the winners of the election we can look forward to seeing some developments here which will improve the quality of life for everyone whether they are Turkish, foreign residents, non-resident property owners or tourists.

Let''''s give them a chance to demonstrate what they can do before finding fault on non-existent issues.

Lantana

Yep, that''s me the cynic. And politician mistruster too you could add. But, almost every line of what was written had an added cost and I guess I was thinking of how the local funds are raised in UK. I was not aware that it was all set nationally. So thanks for that piece of info.
Consider though, what drew you to Kalkan in the first place, what it is like now and where it is going. I don''t think one man will halt all of the over-development overnight. Lovely if he proved me wrong though.
For me the water and electicity being a bit ''iffy'' added to the charm. So did the lack of street lights, it meant you could see far more stars than you can now. (Although the sewage sucker lorry detracted from it somewhat.)
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
Tia Maria, It is at the other end of that stretch near to the Lykia Spa. If you follow the track round from the harbour you come to the new builds, across from some lovely large villas. There are three new properties in total.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the info BevJam,
T

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »
After the election result recount, the result was challenged and went to the election committee at Kas. The committee upheld the result. However that decision was also challenged. The result is now with a committee in Antalya awaiting a final outcome. Until that decision is confirmed the existing encumbent is still in office.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »
Let''s keep our fingers crossed and hope that they uphold the vote and that the new mayor gets a chance.  How can it be overruled if he was voted in by a clear margin?

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Ask Robert Mugabe.

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
Antalya have upheld the result and Kalkan will have a new mayor on monday.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
Lantana
This is becoming too political, please keep it along forum guidelines. I know things are a bit tense at the moment.
Mark
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Lantana
Debate is one thing, accusations are another ;)

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
How silly of me - I thought this section was called politics and debate.  Are you really saying that reflecting what is being said by people who live here  ( Turkish ) and what is actually going on in Kalkan at the moment is against forum guidelines?

Surely Enjoy Kalkan is not so insecure that it cannot allow open discussion of issues which are of concern to anybody who lives here or who owns property here. Judging by the number of members who have read the posts on this thread, I would have thought this topic was of great interest.

If you do not want open debate then remove the politics and debate section.

Lantana

And Lantana as you well know I own property in Kalkan.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »
Well said Lantana,
 I''ve been following the on/off, new/old mayor with keen interest. We own a home in Kalkan, and want to know what''s happening. So a BIG thank you for keeping us properly informed.
 If this forum isn''t to be used for the good.... bad and even the ugly than it shouldn''t keep going. I for one would sooner have the truth and not have it covered in rose coloured tints. Sooooo please let the members have the truth..... open discussions...... and debates
Kalkan''s a big girl ...... I''m very sure she can take the knocks of life.... It''s all part of living in Kalkan and any where else, come to think about it............
Again Thanks for the update.
Best regards
T

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »
Hi
I agree with Brooksie, I think any accusation is unwelcome at present.
Em
Em

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »
I''m with Lantana on this; if a section called ''Politics & Debate'' becomes ''...too political'' then it should be removed. Incidentally, owning property here and living here are two very different things.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Searching for hotel accommodation in Kalkan , one week from 29th July.

Started by linfrank on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 09:19:18 AM
by felicity
xx
Local Kalkan Weather

Started by Chris_S on Weather

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 12:38:29 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
(Almost) Local weather for Kalkan

Started by Chris_S on Weather

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 10:06:32 AM
by Chris_S
recycled
KALKAN 2009

Started by Debs45 on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 07:30:47 PM
by Debs45

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal