Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The consequences of irresponsible posting  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
The consequences of irresponsible posting
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
I am aware that many of the posters who have so delighted in deliberately making provocative or inflammatory statements on Enjoy Kalkan in recent weeks defend their actions by describing them as ''just a bit of fun''. Whilst that argument is debatable, perhaps all of the Enjoy Kalkan members have overlooked an important fact, although this is a British website, primarily it is about Turkey. If it was deemed by anybody in Turkey to be causing offence, access to it in Turkey could be blocked. This means that anybody living here or on holiday here would not be able to access the site.

Freedom of expression without responsibility is not freedom in any sense of the word, it is anarchy. There has been very little responsibility shown by many posters recently and there does seem to have been a deliberate move to cause anarchy.

In Turkey, we have strict censorship and freedom of expression is very carefully managed.  Today, the biggest trial in recent Turkish History begins, when alleged members of Ergenokon are brought to court. The Ergenokon case has already caused increased sensitivity at every level of government and harsh crackdowns on freedom of speech. Protesters demanding freedom of speech have been jailed and tortured.   Last week a prominent journalist was beaten to death in jail by prison staff.

Perhaps some of those posters who use the freedom of speech argument to defend their right to be obnoxious should pause for a moment and think about this. To die for your belief in freedom is rather different to using the concept to try and cause mayhem on EK.

However wonderful Kalkan is, and as I live here, I agree it is quite wonderful, EK members should be aware of the wider context of Turkish issues which have an impact on every aspect of life here. 

An article in The Guardian highlights some of the current dangers of freedom of expression

Creationist gets website blocked Robert Tait in Istanbul The Guardian, Friday October 17 2008

''The website of Turkey''s third largest-selling newspaper has been blocked after a complaint by an Islamic creationist.
Turkish internet users are now denied access to the Vatan newspaper''s website, gazetevatan.com, after a court decided it had insulted Adnan Oktar, a prolific Turkish writer who disputes the theory of evolution. It is believed to be the first major newspaper site to be blocked. About 850 sites are already filtered.
Oktar, who last month successfully had the website of the British evolutionist Richard Dawkins blocked in Turkey, complained that he had been defamed in readers'' comments to stories on the online edition of Vatan, a liberal publication.
His spokeswoman, Seda Aral, claimed the comments included obscenities and said the newspaper had ignored requests to remove them. "We are trying to protect ourselves," she said. "Vatan is always propagating against Mr Oktar and constantly publishes allegations about him. When people read these they are provoked into using these insults against him."
Oktar, who writes under a pseudonym, Harun Yahya, last year succeeded in blocking access to worldpress.com, and in April sued Google Groups for libel.
Critics say Turkey''s penal code makes it too easy to obtain blocking orders, although in practice prohibitions are often easily overcome through proxy servers. ''

It is relatively easy here, particularly in the current climate, to obtain a court order to have a website blocked. Surely none of us who joined EK when it was founded and who have gained so much information and pleasure from being members of this virtual community want that to happen.

Lantana

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2530.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The consequences of irresponsible posting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »
Thank you for drawing attention to this Lantana, and thank you for taking the time to post it.
I know you were one of our loyal members who had been deterred from participating due to the malicious posts of a few.
Nice to have you back.

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
As always a thoughtful and eloquent post from Lantana.
Thank you for taking the time to post.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »
I agree Lorretta this makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK at the moment.......this may change with the current governments plans on monitoring us but I don''t think we will ever have the restrictions Lantana mentioned in his post.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Lets hope your luck does''nt run out Misty :-X

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:35:44 PM »
Hi, I''ve been away for a while. Have there been obnoxious posts on this site. Can''t find any without direction.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »
Popps,

Lets not bring such posts back in the headlines  :)

Offline Clive

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
Thankyou Lantana for bringing this matter to our attention.

I live here but am aware that there is not the freedom of speech that we enjoy in the UK,that is no problem if we show respect for the customs, religion and politics of our host country.

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »
Lantana
I have been travelling in Eastern Turkey for the last couple of weeks (fantastic, by the way and everyone should do it!), and read with interest your comments about blogs / forums etc being closed down in Turkey. I am interested in your comments that ''Protesters demanding freedom of speech have been jailed and tortured.   Last week a prominent journalist was beaten to death in jail by prison staff.'' I find this very worrying, can you please tell me where I can read about this atrocity?

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »
The article was in the BBC News of 14/10/08. I found the article via Google.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Consequences of complaining about the building noise

Started by Pauline on Buying A Property & Real Estate

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 04:07:19 PM
by Pauline
xx
Posting to Kalkan

Started by Bob & Jayne on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 07:39:51 PM
by Possums
xx
Posting to Turkey

Started by mitch on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 10:37:19 AM
by pirha
smiley
Posting Photos

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 03:10:05 PM
by Chris_S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal