Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Topless sunbathing - is is appropriate?  (Read 37040 times)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Topless sunbathing - is is appropriate?
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Just wondered what people thought about women sunbathing topless in Turkey. It''s not a topic that seems to have been covered before on the forum.

We have just come back from Kalkan and 2 ladies at our pool sunbathed topless the entire time, also swimming and wandering around the pool area. I''m no prude but I found it a bit embarasssing, especially for the people that worked there.

Maybe I''m being over sensitive and it''s OK but I was always under the impression it would be disrepectful to sunbathe topless in a muslim country.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2160.0

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Re: Topless sunbathing - is is appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
On the odd occasion my daughter would come out with us when our apartments were a hotel, there was quite a bit of topless going on around the pool area. Nobody went to lunch dressed like that but I dont think I noticed anybody complaining about her or several others.  Within the confines of a property where mainly English were it really didn''t seem an issue.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:34:54 PM »
I would agree with Jayne. I have no objection to nudity at all but I think when one is a guest in a foreign country it is only polite to be aware of local customs & sensibilities. I wouldn''t sunbathe topless in Greece, either, certainly not in more remote areas.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »
I agree with Jayne too, nothing wrong with sunbathing topless on your sunbed but I don''t see the point in wondering around & going swimming with no top on, to me it''s just showing off & flanting, don''t think there''s any need for it!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »
I agree it is totally inappropriate
Similar to girls / women who you see wandering about Kalkan village with either just a bikini or a bikini top and a wrap around the bottom half - it''s OK for the beach but not away from it. This is terrible behaviour in a Muslim  country, but their view seems to be that "I am holiday so I can do what I like" irrespective as to whether I upset other peoples sensibilities or not.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Topless sunbathing in Turkey is considered to be very discourteous and frowned upon by the Turkish people,
 even if the Turkish men do stare.  This goes  even if you are on or around your own poolside and could be seen by others.  It is a Muslim country & respect should be shown.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:32:35 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
It was apparently happening last month at the Samira Deluxe, as my (Turkish) wife told me rather belatedly.  She was chatting to the waiters there, who were probably quite enjoying the view but they also said that they had their views about what type of woman would dress like that, whether in or out of a swimsuit or wearing something like a small lace tablecloth around town in the evening.  That said, a mate has just returned from Marmaris, where it was wall-to-wall leathery, gold jewellery-covered, thongwearing Russians (and that was just the men), so it could be worse.

It does show a lack of respect, in a Muslim country, or even in Turkey.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
That said, a mate has just returned from Marmaris, where it was wall-to-wall leathery, gold jewellery-covered, thongwearing Russians (and that was just the men), so it could be worse.

Oh, that made me laugh and feel yuck all at the same time!  :D :o :-X

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
A couple of years ago we stayed in the Bodrum area and went to Gumbet one night. The place was full of Russians and they were an absolute eye opener. All the women dressed like a bad version of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (but were not so good looking) and the men dressed like a bad version Hulk Hogan!!!!
Kalkan beware!!!

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »
Advance apologies for going slightly off topic - a few years ago we were waiting at Dalaman for our flight home (must have been quite a few years ago as was old terminal) & there were two flights to Russia going out at about the same time as ours. Many of the Russians had bought bottles of vodka/whisky in the duty free, opened them & were just passing them round their groups & polishing ''em off. Glad I wasn''t on their flight.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
A couple of years ago we stayed in the Bodrum area and went to Gumbet one night. The place was full of Russians and they were an absolute eye opener. All the women dressed like a bad version of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (but were not so good looking) and the men dressed like a bad version Hulk Hogan!!!!
Kalkan beware!!!

Are you sure these were Russians and are you sure this was in Turkey? Sounds more like an average British suburban town on Friday night to me!

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
Well.....

I did''nt want to make that comparison.

Yes, they were Russians. When leaving Gumbet I went into a shop to buy some water. The shop keeper obviously thought that I was Russian, untill I commented on how well dressed everyone was. He said that I was the first English that had been in his shop for some days. I asked him how did he find the Russians. His response was unprintable!!! He then said how he wished it was two or three years ago when the resort was mainly British, Germans etc.
Anyone been to Kemer? Thats wall to wall with Russians in thongs too.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »
I was just going to prepare my supper, - on second thoughts having just read the above re the thongs etc., perhaps a large glass of wine or two first to dull the senses, then may be a slice of toast. ;) 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:49:02 PM by DRBD »

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 07:01:01 AM »
I agree that sunbathing topless is unacceptable in Turkey. I have also been shock at how many people this year have been wandering around the streets in bikinis or men topless. I have seen this in Marmaris previously, but clearly Kalkan is starting to get the same level of guest.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Thats very sad to read, especially as it was the one thing that one noticed in Kalkan, the dress code, & respect for others

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 09:23:23 AM »
I agree that topless sunbathing in a Muslim country is inappropriate and disrespectful.  I am appalled when I see women -- and not just Brits, often Scandanavians -- parade through town in bikinis or beach wear.  Even when you go out in a gulet, all the Turkish women sit down for lunch with a cover-up over their bathing suit.

On the flip side, pick up any Turkish newspaper, even the more serious ones, and you will often see a front cover image of a semi-nude woman.  That gives me the same bad impression as does seeing foreign women running around town scantily clad. Turkish women are now organizing to fight this negative image. 

As for the Russians, several have already bought villas and apartments in Kalkan.  It''''s only a matter of time before there are more, however, as they like glitz and night life, there may never be a lot in Kalkan.  I also noticed this summer many languages being spoken by people shopping in the supermarkets.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Jik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Emerald Apartment - Kalkan
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »
I totally agree with you Jayne.
I want to go on holiday and enjoy the culture and way of the people who''s country I am visiting, not feel embarrased that some of my fellow countrymen (and other nationalities of course) are not sensitive enough to respect this. I hate to think it could tar us all, I find it ignorant and disrepectful.
Also I have had conversations with my local friends where the phrase ''rubbish people'' comes up which is referring to these sorts of people.
On this note I am going to add a sentence in my guest book gently reminding people of this... in the nicest way possible of course  ;)

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »
Hi
I agree that topless sunbathing and walking around the town with little clothing on is disrespectful to the local Turkish people and their customs.
Em
Em

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
Sorry if my rather graphic description of Russian beachwear spoiled anyone''s appetite! 

I am actually happy that there were a few more nationalities represented in Kalkan this year, but would prefer if the spread of Europeans coming here stopped at those from the Czech Republic, in which case the chaps on here might all review our views on toplessness.  Nudge, nudge!  The only reason I can think of for Poles, Ukrainians and Russians to come is if the local plumbers come out in sympathy with the taxi drivers.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
Or they''ve got a suitcase full of cash that they need to take to the laundry!!!!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Vote on topless sunbathing

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 08:25:21 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal