Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: new to kalkan....which area should i pick  (Read 4830 times)

Offline pink-flamingo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
new to kalkan....which area should i pick
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
Hi,
We have never been to Kalkan and found it whilst browsing the internet.
Not new to Turkey have been to Belek, Sarigerme, Marmaris and faviourite place Dalyan.
When I saw Kalkan''s pictures was smitten.
Have found a few villa''s that we are interested in but, my problem is where do we choose to stay, which is the best area?
Also as it does appear that wherever you go is downhill (which wont be a problem) how do you get back up the hill (not very energetic, specially in the sun)? are there plenty taxis and are the reasonable (as i will use them often)
Our requirements will be, restraunts for eating out MOST nights, Supermarkets, for the odd bottle of wine and basic food items etc.
We will not be going till next summer but I like to be organised and have a little bit of insight as to where we are going as I didnt do this with marmaris, to our dismay. lovley place just too much for us.
Sorry for the big post I have so many questions, and I think like DALYAN
 Kalkan looks like it will be place we will return to often
Thankyou

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2076.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: new to kalkan....which area should i pick
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
hello Pink! depends if you want to hire a car or rely on taxis......we stay on Kalamar Road quite near the old town so we can walk to and from town at night....really helpful as we have teenagers who can then come and go as they please

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:43:15 AM »
To be honest there are pro''s and con''s whichever part of Kalkan you choose to stay in. You could go for a spectacular view but find you are way up the hill and need to either hire a car during your stay to get into town or rely on taxis (or walk - good for the soul, if not the calf muscles)!

Others are happier getting a place nearer the restaurants and facilities such as the market and shops,  but with less emphasis on the view or at least a compromise between the two. Our preference is the latter, but each to their own!

Whatever accomodation you choose, you will LOVE Kalkan!

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »
I go for the Kalamar road end just around and up to the Asfiya hotel, it is walking distance to town and is on the flat just before the hill. The town is hilly so once I have walked that a few times in 1 evening the flatter walk in the heat is a godsend. But anywhere not too far out of town is going to be good, just watch it isnt too far if you need to think taxi fare.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
Kalamar Road is great.....near enough to walk in but still get a great view

Offline pink-flamingo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
thankyou all for that...........
ok now i need to find a villa on kalamar road with that bootiful view big enough for 8.
I am sure where ever i stay we will be fine, we have 8 and 7 year old so no matter where we usually take a taxi home, even on the flat.
regards
pink

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »
We found it easy to work to and from Kormurluk. Stunning views and the sun on your terrace for much longer than places on the other side of town. Once you''re out of town, the Kas road is fairly flat - but it''s a bit further (distance-wise) than walking to the town end of Kalamar Road - which is in the opposite direction. Taxis are plentiful but not the cheapest mode of transport - unfortunately. If you''re looking to book the Kalamar Road end, just check how far along the road the property is - it''s a long road and not flat all the way. As Holidayfever points out, any further than the Asfiya Hotel then you''re in taxi territory, if you''re not that energetic. Ask the villa owners to give you an indication of the walking time to the centre of Kalkan (you would need to double it and some for coming back) and that will give you an indication of where they are situated - I''d say anything over 15 mins and you are further out of town than you might want to be. There are places to stay at the back of town, towards the Kas road that are a genuine 5 minute walk to all the action, but still have stunning views - we''ve just booked one for next year!

Restaurants are one of the best things about Kalkan - there''s lots of choice, wonderful views from the roof terraces and some very decent dining to be had - but you won''t find it as cheap as some of the other places you''ve visited in Turkey. There''s a few threads on places to eat, so when you''ve got a spare hour, have a look in the Restaurant section of the Forum. Everybody has their favourites, and there''s so much choice you won''t get round them all on your first visit - or even your second or third  :)
There are a few supermarkets in Kalkan, all pretty much the same on price and quite small compared to what''s available in Marmaris, say. There''s a Migros in Kas and Fethiye has Migros and Carrefour - you might be familiar with these chains having visited other parts of Turkey. In all honesty, there''s everything you need in Kalkan for a perfect holiday.

Enjoy!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
obviously I meant "walk" form Kormurluk...not work...Doh!! Who wants to work on holiday??

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
Each to his or her own. Stayed in town for years and decided to buy in Kiziltaz. Liked the view,cooler than in town and no noise. Friend bought in Kisla as they liked to be close to the beach clubs but further out. We have our own taxi driver,at our own price and survive pretty well. In the heat the walks are all hot. No matter where you stay you are in the best place in the world. Take from us, we have travelled all over the world!   

Offline pink-flamingo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »
so............

wherever i go i am on a winner?................
no buggies........(kids a bit older)
no high heels......(man in drag look)
no football tops....(hubby be abit disapointed..wont kill him though......got to buy linen tops for hubby)

hide tatoos..........
and keep extra money for taxi home at night.

thankyou all ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
Video of Kalkan and the area

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 03:51:58 PM
by clara 50
xx
Pick pockets

Started by tiamaria on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 04:20:06 PM
by popps
xx
Whats on in June in Kalkan area?

Started by plantpot on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 11:49:57 AM
by plantpot
xx
Dentistry in Kalkan or surrounding area

Started by Chris S on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 02:11:04 PM
by Chris S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Benji

Views: 4666
By: misty
Kalkan dog