Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bit worried  (Read 4727 times)

Offline LizS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Bit worried
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:46 AM »
This is, I think, an example of why the internet does as much harm as good...

We are going to Kalkan early Sept for a week, we have a villa for six of us. Having read these boards over the last few weeks I am a bit worried. Burglaries, water shortages/total outages, pools out of action, so on.

Can you reassure me? How likely are these things? I know there''s no cast iron guarantees - we have had power and water outage in Calis before now, so its not unexpected, but I''m just getting a bit jittery.

I know all the probability is in our favour but I''m getting cold feet and its making me unhappy.

can someone just hold my hand a bit?
thanks
liz

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2074.0

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Bit worried
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
There is no guarantee Liz but dont worry you will love Kalkan and won''t regret going there, stop reading the bad bits because the good bits more than make up for them, start looking forward to your holiday and enjoy and let everyone know how you got on  :)

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Have you read any of the nicer posts, Liz?
They will definately outweigh all the negative aspects.

Theres good and bad about most places, and we only know about the negative aspects because one or two  people have posted about them...this doesn''t mean it happens to everyone.
I consider it better to be forewarned & forearmed.
So if the water goes off, i have an idea what should be in place in the apartment to deal with it.
If the electric goes off i know its probably because of an outage and find the emergency provisions.
And, as i always do anyway regardless of being home or abroad, i ensure i lock all my doors at all times and take every precaution to protect belongings and self.

Oh, and i always, always, always.....make sure i have a fab, relaxing and wonderful holiday!
Read some of the more positive posts, Liz...and enjoy your hols  :)

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »
Oh please Liz relax and enjoy it is such an amazing place and IMHO soooooooooooo much nicer than Calis, these things have made it on the website as they are so uncommon well maybe not electricity problems but crime, so I guess it is a big deal, we read about these things happening in England everyday as well as knife crime etc we take it almost for granted and yet I feel safe in my English home, I think crime over there is rare so when it happens it people feel shaken that our little bit of paradise has got tainted, thankgod I have always had the reverse happen to me in Kalakn, camaras and bags left behind returned, friendliness like I have never known, peace, lovely things to see and do, it is a long long way off Falaraki and the likes, so get giddy you are going to have a fab time.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »
Hi Liz,

I would have never even considered Turkey as a holiday destination....it was my OH that found Kalkan researched  it and we made the decision to go. That was three years go and we have not been any where else since, breaking another golden rule of mine. OK its not perfect but where is ?? we look at other popular destinations but then think what if its not as nice as Kalkan...roof top restaurants no mass tourism etc etc and rebook our villa !!!

On our first year the villa owner had to cancel the villa we had booked due to legal reasons, the expat comunity came to our rescue and we managed to find another villa (even better than the previous one) so all worked out well.

Misty

Offline LizS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
Thanks all. I do read all the posts (am a serial lurker, sorry) and having been nowhere but turkey ourselves for the last three years I know that its a lovely country with lovely people, I''m just having collywobbles.

I''m annoying myself because I am generally really positive and I know all about risk and probability and I dont'' fret too much about this sort of stuff, but for some reason I''ve just got a bit concerned about things going wrong. I will be devastated - utterly devastated - if the pool is out of use, for example.

And now I''m cross because instead of being 100% excited and bouncy about my holiday in six weeks, there is a tinge of worry.

Just keep telling me I''m being stupid, and eventually I''ll believe you!

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:49:05 PM »
Once you see your first view of Kalkan, all your worries will be gone.

It is a magical place that casts a spell on you the moment you see it, you will never want to go anywhere else.

I am 29 years old, I have been going to Turkey for the last 20 years of my life, I love it, been going to Kalkan for 8 years and I really don''t want to go anywhere else.

I am positive you will have a great time and you will love it just like the rest of us!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
LizS, if you are going to be there early September you will be there at the very best time of year. It is perfect; the sea is warm but the air temperature is not too hot and sticky, unlike July and August. We always try to go in September and have never had water shortgages then.  You will love it and there is nothing to worry about.  If your pool is out of action for any reason you can come and use ours anyway!!

Also, have a look at the EK meet-up section of the forum - we are having a couple of meet-ups in September and you & yours would be welcome to come along!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
I would recommend you read the holiday reports. The vast majority are from first-timers to Kalkan and will give you a far better idea of what Kalkan has to offer. Don''t forget to post your own!!!
Joan

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:03 PM »
hello....have to agree with Liz. I joined the forum a few weeks ago but have been reading it for ages. We are off to Kalkan next week and are really excited as ever, its our fourth time. I recommended the site to a friend who is going for her first visit in October and am now a bit sorry that I did. Anyone reading the latest posts would be seriously worried about a holiday in Kalkan. Yet the fact there is this thriving website in the first place is because there are lots of smitten people like us ready to sing Kalkan''s praises. I find it hard to believe that the place has gone to wrack and ruin in a year and am as excited a ever and can''t wait for the first glimpse of paradise as we come round the bend.......save my favourite sunbed Kalamar Beach Club.....I''m on my way!!

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »
Lucky you,and don''t worry.Kalkan has certainly not gone to rack and ruin in a year.It is as stunning,as beautiful,friendly and charming as it always was. :-*

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
Hi Lizs, let me first of all join the others and say don''t be put off! Once you get there you will see Kalkan is as lovely as ever.
However I can see entirely where you and Babs are coming from. I tried to flag up over a month ago when someone (jokingly) said sewage was being discharged into the harbour, that these negative posts are actually putting people off visiting. This was dismissed as just my opinion. Apart from you and Babs there is other evidence to this effect on tripadvisor.
Anyone who thinks the uninitiated (I''m not talking about Kalkan regulars here) would not be put off by a number of posts on this forum needs to take a step back and read them again. If they still come to the same conclusion then I''m afraid they''re in denial. It''s no good the positive outweighing the negative, it''s the seed of doubt all the negatives plant.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »
maybe all the Kalkan regulars love the place so much they are trying to put others off coming to keep it to themselves??......only joking, people will find fault in anything its human nature and I expect even paradise can wear a bit thin if your water goes off for the 3rd time! So excited now......only 5 sleeps!

Offline LizS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »
Thank you all for wise words and metaphorical hand holding.

And thank you for the offer of the pool Martyn E!!

I am sure it will all be fine, but I was sad to have even seeds of doubt planted which are spoiling the excitement and anticipation.

will go check out the meet up section.

thanks again
Liz S

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Oh come on! A few burglaries reported. Yes , it''''s very bad  for those who have experienced such misfortunes, but please get things into perspective. Kalkan is one of the safest, friendliest places on Earth. Wherever you go there will be scumbags whose actions impair your wellbeing and quality of life, but there are few safer places than Kalkan where this may happen. Do people refrain from travelling to Portugal for fear of child abduction?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:09:32 PM by popps »

Offline LizS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
Thanks for that, Popps. Helpful.

Yes, I will confess to cold feet and some niggling anxieties. That in itself is odd for me as I am normally the one charging in with scant regard for stuff like this. In fact I did indeed travel to Portugal some four weeks after the McCann abduction.

I was particularly concerned about water shortages and I think this was a reasonable question to ask, never having been to Kalkan before.

The other responses have been helpful or reassuring whereas yours serves only to make me feel like an idiot. Cheers.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
Totally agree with popps, I feel more safer in Kalkan than I do at home & I live in small Norfolk town!!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
EnjoyKalkan Safety

Topic locked at request of topic starter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Should not have worried

Started by Trotter on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 11:57:04 PM
by AllanChris

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal