Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Burgled in Kalkan  (Read 1932 times)

Offline paulaf

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Burgled in Kalkan
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »
After reading the earlier message about a villa being burgled this summer, thought i would add my own experience. We didn''t post before as we thought it was an isolated incident and did not want to damage the tourism industry, hoverer our villa was also burgled last June in Kisla. We did not lose as much as the other poster however enough was taken to spoil our holiday and put us off coming back to Kalkan. The police were not very efficient. The villa was left secure but the 3rd window they tried a small kitchen window they managed to get in - we also thought a child due to the window size and small footprints left inside. The police came out but did not take much evidence - there were some nice visible footprints but took one photo on a phone and no measurements. They wanted us to go to the station, but feeling it would serve little purpose and waste a whole evening we refused - had to be quite firm, so they took our statement at the villa then dropped off the typed version the next day for signature. We never heard any more. The police said they thought they knew who it was but don''t know whether they were just saying that to give us some comfort. We only reported it to the police so they knew something was happening and for our insurance claim. We think we may have even been followed or targeted after being seen out in Kalkan in the evening with jewelery, watches and cameras etc on us. We were burgled at approx 3pm in the afternoon and where our car was parked for the villa it was very easy to see if we were home or not. Although people were in the villa next door they did not hear anything significant to arouse suspicion - or put off the burglars. Kalkan is a beautiful place and we loved elements of it, the owner has now installed a massive safe, but we will not return - unless we are convinced this problem has been eradicated. I know there is crime in other resorts but we felt as though we were targeted. We locked up but they broke in anyway - how can you prevent that - they will steal anything and everything - we even lost food, drink, perfume, clothes - you can''t hide everything !!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2056.0

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Burgled in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
Hi Paulaf,
so sorry to hear about this horrible experience and that it has put you off returning to Kalkan.
As you say you took all the necessary precautions and still you were burgled.
I do hope that at some point you feel sufficiently reasured in order to be able to return to Kalkan. I do think that tourists are starting to be a bit more vigilant and locals are too. They know it reflects badly on the town and could therfore have an adverse effect on tourism. A common theme seems to be lack of interest by the Gendarme, I do hope this is addressed in some appropriate way.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
If you love Kalkan but want more security why don''''t you stay somewhere with 24 hour on site management.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:12:15 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline kal1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
Some villas (mine included) have ornate window bars on all doors and windows. This not only provides security but also it is great for sleeping in the hotter weather as you have the windows open and security bars locked and it lets in a lovely breeze.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbdown
Villa burgled - 23 June 2008

Started by DB on General Discussion

57 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 08:53:23 AM
by jackshudds
xx
Three villas burgled on the Saneil Complex

Started by Pauline on General Discussion

48 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 10:00:06 PM
by Em1
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Harbour

Views: 3234
By: gadgetandbex
"Bottoms Up" at Adams!