Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shirl is Back in Town  (Read 37166 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Shirl is Back in Town
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
Please don't hand over the baton Shirl......it's so funny when you and Lizilu do your double act in terms of posts!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
Another brilliant post Shirl..........can't wait for our next visit to Kalkan. So many places to eat that we still haven't visited. Has anyone ate at every restaurant??

A Mr Creosote was the last person to try but unfortunately it didn't end too well.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
It's the wafer-thin mints that do the damage  ;D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »
Friday ………

Well where did the weekend go! 3 days of fun in the sun has been had big time! We’ve basically spent the past few days lazing round the Pirat pool with the Gang! :D :D :D We’ve had such such fun, I have drank and eaten far too much though, but who cares we’re on holiday, still can’t get over how fab the steak is at Marina Restaurant, I sadly I tucked into too much of the puffy bread and mezze beforehand and I couldn’t manage it all though, so very generously gave Bob a good third of my steak!!! As Lizilu and a lot of people on here have already mentioned, well the Olive Garden, it's amazing! Really going to have to try and fit that one in again before we go home.

Saturday ……….

More of the same!

Sunday ……..

More of the same, but flagged at 7pm.  We ate in tonight, and Bob made the green bean dish with Mezgit! For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s like whiting fish, but simply delicious. If you want to cook in whilst on holiday, you can get it from the fishmonger above the Bakery in town.

All these early morning bedtimes have paid their toll tonight, we retired at 9.48pm! don’t tell Lizilu and Automan, or they will be calling us light weights!!!!

My phone seems to be playing up, not sure whether it is the heat but the screen isn’t working properly, so am struggling to load photos, just hoping it will last out until we go home to get it repaired. 

Monday ………

Well up at 8am and feel like a new woman today! Who mentioned light weights?????

Our fresh ground coffee is running low, think I have enough for one more cafetiere.  We brought out 4 packs and can’t believe we’ve almost used it all.  Think you can buy over here nice coffee, so will check that out later.

Bob has a couple of jobs to do this morning, but then we are off to the beach club for the day and meeting up with the gang for happy hour later!

Sorry my blog is not very long, but have been having too much fun to take notes of what we have been doing!

The tablets and the gel from the Doctor have sorted out my unsightly fat lip too!

We still have 3 more boat trips to look forward to including the 3rd trip to Kekova! and managed to book another one on Yildez 2 for next Monday, one of those moments when OH wasn't paying too much attention to what I was saying, so was booked before he realised!!! Result!!!  :D :D :D

Be back in a few days!!!

Shirl

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2016, 06:59:06 AM »
Ha ha sounds like we've had Shirl in a whirl these past few days!!! I promise we will slow down now.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »
Oh Jayne, you need the odd early night to keep up with the party animals from "OOp North" ;D ;D
You can buy decent coffee in Carrefour - I also bought some decaff there when we ran out - but they had quite a big selection of brands you would recognise.
Enjoy another fun-filled week - looking forward to hearing more from Kalkan's very own Ab Fab ladies :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »
K4E......you're right with the AB Fab title for the girls!
Jayne......don't let lizilu wear you out! ;D I'm sure once her excitement of being in Kalkan again has settled you'll be able to keep up!  :laugh:
Look forward to hearing what you get up to next!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2016, 07:05:24 AM »
Monday ……..

Firstly, totally lost track of the days and panicked this morning thinking I must do my blog! Cant even remember what day it is let alone what we have been up to, but slowly after a strong cup of coffee (yes we managed to buy some in Yali, not the same as at home, but it’s drinkable!) but much better than instant! The past few days are all coming back to me.

K4E AB FAB! Love it!!!!

Well down to Fener it was for coffee before we boarded the boat over to Kalkan Beach Park, we could spend hours just sat there boat and people watching, but not this morning, the sun was getting very hot and we needed to launch ourselves in the sea.  20 minutes later, sunbeds chosen on the front row, we were sorted.  We stayed until around 5pm as time to go back and get ready for Happy Hour at Lykia Pavilion with the Gang. I’m not going to go into detail of the evening’s events, but all I will say is that much fun was had followed by dinner at Hunkar, well I think that is where we ended up! I’ll let Lizilu fill you in on her blog!!

Tuesday ………..

Road trip day today to Kayakoy.  I was feeling slightly under the weather this morning, Bob was fine much to my annoyance! Never again was springing to mind!
Car was delivered and off into town to pick up a few bits, including a nice table from Kipa for the balcony and off we went in the direction of Fethiye. 

First stop Just Living near the Yesilkoy turn off.  What an amazing shop, I have never seen such beautiful furniture, and the most amazing garden and patio furniture.  We have our eye on 2 lovely sunbeds rattan style, so will be definitely getting those soon.

Back in the car and drove all the way to Kayakoy.  We were heading for a restaurant that we had been recommended called Cinbal, down a little track just before the village.  You choose your meat and they bring a bbq to your table and you cook your own food.  It was absolutely delicious.  We chose, lamb steaks, lamb chops, chicken and meat balls, they brought tomatoes, onions and peppers and a huge salad, mezzes and bread.  It was fantastic and we will definitely go back. After a very leisurely lunch, and full to the brim, we had a wander round Kayakoy, haven’t been for years but was nice to see again.  Back in the air conditioned car and we thought we would call in a Calis for a swim. We drove back via Hisonaru, haven’t been there for over 7 years, it wasn’t nice at all, and thank goodness we found Kalkan all those years ago.
On the drive back there was a black cloud and suddenly spots of rain on the windscreen! We couldn’t believe it, but within minutes the sun was shining again.  We spent 3 hours on Calis beach swimming and napping on the sunbeds.  The plan was to drive home via Islamlar, but we were still full from lunch, so decided to drive back to Kalkan and we stopped at Saliha Sultan next to Ata.  It is a brand new restaurant and really nice. We just had a chicken sandwich each and a lovely cheese pastry, and an Ayran for Bob, but all very delicious, total bill 12.5TL!! Would really recommend this place.

We got back about 9.30pm, having had a lovely day out. A nightcap on the balcony and 11pm bedtime for us.

Wednesday …………..

Kekova take 3!

Shirl

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »
Fab blog Shirl,  your road trip sounded brilliant.
See you later for some AB Fab around the pool.   ;D  :-*

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »
Sounds like you are having a great time both of you. The trip to Kayakoy rakes me back. I agree about Hisaronu - stayed near there once and only went into the town once! 
Keep em coming - it is making all excited about going now.
Xxx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
Thanks for posting Jayne (or should I say Patsy? Eddi?...)
Totally agree about Hisaronu...its not my idea of a holiday but I know people go year after year. Horses for Courses... Friends of ours stayed at Kayakoy this year - they normally holiday in Islamlar - and loved it so much they have already booked for 6 weeks next year. Again, we've not been for a while but we hope to meet up with our friends next year - we make a lot of plans like this and dont always keep them ;)
Look forward to hearing more about your stay :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »
Patsy or Eddi ha ha ha  :D :D

Wednesday …………..

Kekova take 3! And what a lovely day we all had. We love this place so much, we took a different route once boarding the boat today, and went to a couple of different swim stops that we hadn’t been to before, it was a fab day and Volume Travel were brilliant! I will confess, I didn’t make the Castle, well there’s always next year!

We ate in tonight, Bob recreating the Prawan guvec, was delicious!

Thursday ……………….

Wander into town to check out the bags this morning, while Bob went to see Ibo in Kaptan Sunglass Shop.  Think I have chosen what I am purchasing later next week, together with some Chanel Espadrils for my daughter’s birthday.  When you actually look round there are quite a few bag shops, I always tend to go to the same one, but may look a different ones this year. My bag reccying done! Had arranged to meet Bob opposite Mousaka, he wasn’t there, so had a pit stop in Moonlight Bar. Billy No Mates I felt like, but the lads chatted to me until Bob arrived!

We then jumped in a taxi and sped up the Kalamar Road in no time at all for a lovely lunch and pool afternoon with the Gang! AB Fab afternoon it certainly was!!!

Our get together in Alternatif was such fun! Food, company, wine all top notch!!!

Back home around midnight I think! The wine had flowed far too liberally, and I realise now how my glass was always full (thank you Lizilu)!!

Friday …………………

Surprisingly felt fine this morning! So town Beach it was to be with the gang, 5 sunbeds and 3 umbrellas later we were set up for the day, we had a lovely lunch at Kleo and retired back to the sunbeds for a snooze and swims!

Last night we all ate in Wapiano on the recommendation of the Gang, we had a fab evening and the food was amazing! I had Grouper with shrimps in a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce, it was fantastic! Bob had marbled steak, and that too was delicious, it came with 4 pots of different sauces.  Us girls were on good behaviour tonight, but I did think after seeing Lizzie’s gin and tonic, that I would try one, I don’t even like gin funnily enough!

We decided on a nightcap in Kaya, such a happy bunch of lads in there, the new guy showing us his card tricks.  Was a lovely end to another perfect day of AB Fab fun in the sun.  Back up the hill, too near for a taxi we thought, but by the time we got back, we wished we had jumped in one!

Saturday ………………….

Well today, we have all been looking forward to so much, a private boat trip for the 5 of us!!! Will be back…………….

Shirl

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
Another descriptive post Shirl and enough to get us salivating about our next visit. We're nowhere near as adventurous as you and some of the other regulars.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
Saturday ………………….

Well Saturday certainly was a fantastic day, thinking that as Smile boat was a smaller boat we might feel the waves more, but no, the sea was calm, and it was amazing.   :D We all had a fabulous day, Lizilu and I kept repeating ourselves saying "Wine, Sea and Swim" laughing out loud everytime we said it!  :D we would certainly recommend and be booking this boat again next year.  :D

Not sure where I managed to summon the energy from, as we usually stay home after a boat trip, as Automan quite rightly told me they normally do too, but we wanted to listen to Aklan at Yakamoz, so after a couple of hours rest, Aklan it was to be and as Lizilu has already said, I wasn’t the party pooper tonight!!!!! Bob and I managed to stay out until 1.30pm, not quite sure how after all that sea air, but we did.  Even when we got the taxi home, the bars were still buzzing down at the harbour.

Sunday ………………….

Day of Rest definitely…… A bit of a lie in, well for me, so that was good! Automan called in en route to the Bank, he didn’t even want any of my speciality coffee!! Bob and I had a late breakfast, and I walked into town to pick up a few bits in the supermarket and greengrocers, accompanied by Scottie to wheel said items back in! comes in handy sometimes! Our friends at the Emir were going home today, so we said goodbye to them, felt strange saying see you next year, but they have all had a fab holiday too.

We decided to go to Kalkan Beach Park for the rest of the day, stopped off at Fener for refuelling before we got the boat (non alcoholic I might add).  We spent the whole of the afternoon over there, not very busy when we arrived, but by mid afternoon it was very busy, so nice to see that trade was picking up for them.

We didn’t come back until around 6.30pm, but had enjoyed our afternoon.  Cooked in tonight, Bob cooked sizzling garlic prawns and made some of his homemade humous and it was delicious. 

Very boring tonight though – my bed beckoned at 9.45pm!

Monday ………………..

The early night has done me proud, feel like a new woman this morning! Up at 7am. Coffee made and sat looking at the sun come up over Mouse and Snake, a fab start to a Monday morning!

Yildez 2 again for us today, and can’t wait, as am thinking that this time next week we will have just left in the transfer car en route to Dalaman Airport!  >:(

Shirl

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:57:46 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2016, 07:50:04 AM »
Oh Shirl, don't think about next week, just enjoy every minute you have left.......and don't forget to share!  :laugh:

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
Shirl and Lizilu20, sounds like you had a great weekend. The smile boat sounds lovely. We will have to find someone to come with us! I can't believe your holiday is getting towards its end already. But work beckons I suppose. (Sob)
I have booked 2 days on Yildiz for when we are there. Can't wait now! Busy planning restaurants and outings at the moment.
Xxxx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
Thanks skunk we did and Shirl, we have lots of Funtimes ahead 😄😄😄

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
There's still plenty of time to get up to mischief...
Hope you've had a great day with Osman and Zeynab today, its torrential rain here today, just think of that whilst you are basking in the sunshine ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
Thank you for your lovely comments everyone. Now where was I??? It's been difficult keeping up with my blog this week as have been a bit busy!!! not sure why?  :D :D :D

Monday ………………..

Well Monday Yildiz 2 for us it was to be and what a fantastic day it was! A small Turkish breakfast for us, as we knew the lunch that we would be having, and off we set.  Which way down to the harbour this morning, we have tried all ways to dodge the sun and find the shade and whichever way we go, there isn’t any! Fortunately we made it down in very quick time, and the heat wasn’t too bad. 

We boarded the boat, and within 15 minutes, all 11 of us were on board, and we were off! The sea was as calm as it could possibly be, so which way, was it to the right or to the left.  We went right and straight round to Firnaz  Bay for our first swim stop.  The water was crystal clear and turquoise and very warm today.  Absolutely fantastic.  The whole day was spent just hopping round the normal bays swimming and everyone having a fabulous time.  As there were only 11 on board, Bob and I had the whole top deck to ourselves, it was fantastic.  Lunch was incredible, every boat trip we go on, we always think can it ever get any better, well absolutely not, today’s lunch was amazing! Including the wonderful cauliflower dish that Zeynap makes, and how on earth do they make such lovely homemade chips in such a confined space! Shark Sauce as Osman calls it, Bob as usual asking for the recipe, just a whole bulb of garlic he said, lemon juice, olive oil and salt! Delicious on the fresh fish that was served to go with it.  Lunch eaten time to retire back to the top deck for a little nap, but no, it was now Magnum Time! A new flavour for me, Blackberry, not too keen on icecream, but couldn’t resist and it was so yummy!

More swimming and chatting with the other guests on the boat, and off to the mudbath. I didn’t gate crash anyone’s party today, as Osman swam ashore and filled up his bucket with the hot mud and before we knew it, everyone was covered with the stuff and standing like penquins on the beach to dry out.  Patience isn’t a strong point for me, so decided to launch myself back in the sea to wash off, but whether or not it is a myth, my skin felt like silk afterwards, just hope that it hasn’t removed my tan!

Back on board, yes the usual, more food! Beautiful fruit and then off to Mouse Island.  Osman reversed the boat right into the little bay and his daughter Yildiz jumped in complete with her fins on and swam across to the feed the goats with the remainder of the fruit. What a sight it was, they loved it, there were about 8 in total all clambering down just like Mountain Goats funnily enough! Next was a bucket of fresh water taken over for them, they obviously know the drill as they were all waiting patiently for their feast. Yildiz 3 then arrived, and Captain Adem and his guests were all in the water, next Adem and his youngest son were climbing up the rocks right to the top and diving into the sea, we spent a good hour just watching everyone having fun, Bob and I decided to just swim and not dive obviously!!!

We didn’t arrived back until well after 6pm, and what a fantastic day we had all had.  Said goodbye to Osman and back home it was. We were very tired and not very hungry so decided to just finish off the humous that Bob had made the night before, more garlic oh dear hope we don’t reek of it! It was 9.40pm by the time we left to go into town to meet the Gang, and Marley’s it was to be! Was only planning on having just the one! as had already had 2 very full glasses of chilled wine back at the apartment, but well one thing led to another as you have already ready heard and 3 more glasses later I was dancing the night away!!!

Tuesday ………………….

A fab day of fun in the sun was had! Thank you Lizilu and Automan, our road trip was fabulous.  First stop Patara for a lovely swim, the sea was quite calm for a change and so so warm.  Our next stop, with Automan our Chauffeur was Islamlar and Bodamye Tepe for lunch, it was lovely to see Hassan and there were quite a few tables full, so lovely to see it busy.  We had a lovely lunch, well another feast as I keep hearing myself say this holiday, oh my goodness I dread getting on those scales! A quick stop at the supermarket as we all wanted to pick up a few bits and then onto Kulube Hotel for a drink and a swim.  The hotel has been completely refurbished and is beautiful.  We ordered our drinks and had a lovely swim in their salt water swimming pool. Absolute fab end to a fantastic day with our lovely friends. 

We just literally crashed out when we got in, just about had the energy to shower off the salt water, Bob rustled up a tuna fish salad, and only the one glass of wine for me today! and bed it was at 9.35pm!

Wednesday ……………….

Last boat trip of the holiday, boo hoo! I’ve been told I’m not allowed to mention hometime!!! Sorry Bob, Lizilu and Automan! But Pina X with Captain Abdi and the Gang it is today, I will let my partner in crime report back too on our last few days!!! And no doubt fill you in on the motorbike saga!!!

Shirl
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:09:27 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
Cant bear the thought of not having your reports to look forward to, Jayne....you're still packing in the activities in your last few days, I'd be exhausted.
We love watching Osman taking fresh water over to the goats on Mouse Island - its quite an operation with flippers and fresh water bucket balancing. The top deck is my favourite spot on both Yildiz boats...although the steps are a little tricky to negotiate after a couple of Lals and the cushions are as hot as a hob underfoot, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else on board.
Hope you get the chance to do a couple more reports before you head home :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sea Front Promenade from town beach to Komerluk - back on?

Started by Jamera on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 12:18:51 AM
by Roxie
xx
Sun, Sea and Shirl!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

100 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
by Skunk
xx
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!

68 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
by Babs
xx
Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!

80 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal