Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Bob & Jayne on July 21, 2016, 08:14:06 PM

Title: Shirl is Back in Town
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 21, 2016, 08:14:06 PM
Well it's been a long time coming with no visit at Easter with my partner in crime! One more sleep and were off in the morning for 39 days so there may be a post or 2! Early night beckons as an early start for us!  :D
Title: Re: Shirl is Back in Town
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 21, 2016, 08:45:35 PM
Yippee, Shirls back. That means only 3 weeks for us until we are reunited for fun in the sun!  ;D :o 8)
Post by: Babs on July 21, 2016, 11:14:17 PM
Hooray!
Post by: Haybo on July 22, 2016, 06:02:06 AM
Can't wait for the first full instalment! See you in 25 days x
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 22, 2016, 08:39:14 AM
I look forward to your holiday almost as much as I look forward to mine :laugh:
39 days!!!!! I hope there's more than a "post or two" during that time. Safe travels, see you on the other side.
Post by: Christina on July 22, 2016, 05:51:40 PM
Just had a month here and going home tomorrow. Felt so grim about leaving that I've just booked to come out again on 16 Aug for 3 weeks. Can't wait for our catch up xxx
Post by: Babs on July 23, 2016, 07:07:42 AM
Come on Shirl......you're there now, what's keeping you?!  :laugh:
Post by: Haybo on July 23, 2016, 07:10:06 AM
Hi Christina...we arrive agsin on 17th and a few of us (maybe 14) are meeting for dinner on 18th...hopefully Jayne will be booking With Adam....join us!
Post by: Haybo on July 24, 2016, 07:17:57 AM
So I'm up nice and early ( on set up duty at church) , got myself a lovely coffee, fed the dog etc and have logged on to read the first of Shirl's awesome reports and what do I find?

Not

A

Word!

Anyone would think you were on holiday :) :)

SO looking forward to the first instalment!
Post by: keith on July 24, 2016, 03:16:54 PM
We desperately  need some holiday reports. We're not able to visit this year and need our Kalkan fix!  Come on Shirl give this Kalkan addict his 'fix'..........PLEASE
Post by: Chris the Spark on July 24, 2016, 04:47:00 PM
*****ATTENTION EK Members*****

Shirl is about post a holiday report 😄😄

She has been busy enjoying herself too much in Kalkan 🍷🍷

So standby folks 😄😄
Post by: tortoise lady on July 24, 2016, 06:08:21 PM
Standing by!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 24, 2016, 06:12:37 PM
Ha ha. No pressure eh Shirl  ;D ;D ;D
I'm waiting patiently  :angel:  ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 24, 2016, 08:02:22 PM
Well, what can I say!! sorry guys, it's been a mad 3 days since arriving in Kalkan. Firstly, I just want to say that I was very worried about our holiday, but please if you are don't be everything is absolutely fine, and Paradise is still here awaiting you, I really don't know why I was worried now. 

We flew Turkish Airlines via Istanbul on Friday arriving at Dalaman around 10pm! we waited for our luggage which was in the international arrivals, but we arrived in the domestic arrival lounge! not a problem, just a delay of 30 minutes or so, we finally trudged on through with our overloaded trolley, a new iron, juicer and a raclette and cafetiere, don't ask, that's what you get when you live with a man who loves cooking! and yes, youve guessed it, we  were stopped at Customs, I was now thinking as we put all 4 cases through the scanner, what about our sausages and bacon, but all was good, apart from all our cases that fell off the end of the conveyer belt!! Nothing broken thank goodness, as the worry about the sausages was now taken over by worrying about the the vodka and bacardi!

We were very tired and hot by the time we departed the Airport, we couldn't see from the mass of taxi driver's with the different name plates, and there it was "Bob & Jayne" or should it have said 'Shirl', who cares, our carriage awaited us!

Really wanted to sleep now, but thought no I need to focus and look at the view! even though it was dark it still was the most fabulous feeling, we had arrived safely, and for the grand sum of 39 days!! It must have been about 11.30pm by the time we unlocked our front door, but we were so happy to be here.  I couldn't think about unpacking anything, but needs must, as we couldn't find the toothbrushes! After a bit of a search, they were retrieved, and my head hit the pillow faster than the plane hit the runway! Which is another story if you know about my fear of flying!  - Bob was up and awake early, there seems to be some sort of "bird" in a cage next door singing for his supper, or should I say breakfast! but all was good and we were refreshed.  I woke to the smell of lovely fresh coffee, and sat on the balcony actually not believing we were here, it was the most wonderful feeling!

We unpacked, well sort of, and was raring to go.  No food in, just coffee, so off we went to town. We stopped at Oz Adana for brunch, it was only 11.30am, ordered lamb and shish kebabs really would we normally eat this at home at this hour, but omg! was it good! the usual, salad, turkish bread, esme and haidari arrived before the kebabs!
Bob had an Ayran, a first, but he really liked it! The whole feast was 32TL! crazy! Next stop for Bob was Eddie the Barber, just before Paprika, what a gentleman he is!
Down to the beach now, and a look at the new units, actually very impressed. Iced Apple tea in Samdan's, not sure I would like it as can't stand tea, but it was delicious. Kleo next and so lovely to see everyone, nobody forgets you out here.  Then the sea! and what a welcoming sight that was. Well the sea was but not me launching myself in, but felt so good.  A couple of hours on the sunbeds, no cushions still, but it was okay, and slowly we made our ascent up the hill, stopping via Merkez for a beer and wine.  OH to my disgust suggested we go in BSG, so happy I thought at first, bless him, a bag purchase on the first day of the holiday! But oh no his wallet had broken and he wanted to buy a new one! He was so pleased with his purchases of a Mulberry wallet, not sure I feel the same ! I have nothing to show yet!!!!!! Watch this space!

We are here for a long time this year, so obviously can't eat out every night, and as Bob loves to cook, that really isn't a problem, so Tuna Nicoise it was and it was delicious.

Sunday - Had a lovely early morning walk at 7am today, back for our dippy eggs and fresh bread. We spent most of the day at the Asfiya Seaview Hotel, absolutely beautiful, they are so welcoming, and treated us so well and were so pleased to see us.  Walked down into town late afternoon, came across Pavilion at Likya, happy hour awaits we are thinking, looks amazing,hurry up and get here Lizilou and Automan. We bumped into Chris the Spark and Mrs Spark (now she's a bit of a live wire!) at the harbour! looking forward to Moonlight Terrace Restaurant in Kalamar Road for dinner on Wednesday with them. A quick icecream and drink at Fener Bar and off we went to climb the hill!

Mishap of the holiday already, we have a few boat trips booked, as you will know that’s what we do, but was convinced the first one was on Friday, but thank goodness we called into Define Tours, because we are off to Kekova on Tuesday!! OH just shook his head, and told me I am "sacked, no longer Entertainments Manager, sorry Lizzie!"!!!! Have managed to book a table for Samdan’s at the Harbour Haybo, hope I have the date and time right!!!!

More to follow, sorry if I am rambling, but it's hot, and the wine is flowing!!!

Shirl xx
Post by: joycie on July 24, 2016, 08:12:17 PM
So good to read your lovely report Thankyou.
Post by: RosiB on July 24, 2016, 08:17:02 PM
Yay! You've hit the road running - look out, Kalkan! x
Post by: Haybo on July 24, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
Well worth the wait! It's great to see that you have slipped straight into 'Kalkan Life'......shamdam is a great choice for the 18th! I think it is our first proper night and not quite Julies last night! So so excited to see you all.  I cant believe I've only been back 2 weeks, it feels like a lifetime ago!
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 24, 2016, 08:20:02 PM
Oh it is good to have you back and on form Shirl.

Fab first report from Kalkan and sounds like you've already packed loads in. Won't be too much longer before we will be clinking happy hour glasses together.

Your position as entertainments manager is still safe as far as I'm concerned  ;D
Post by: Chris_S on July 25, 2016, 10:36:00 AM
Bob loves to cook, that really isn't a problem, so Tuna Nicoise it was

So what oven temperature does Bob use?  Or is it done on the hob? >:D
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 25, 2016, 08:31:02 PM
Lovely first report Jayne - well worth the wait. I think I would be a little apprehensive if we had been travelling so soon after the failed coup, and via Istanbul, so you are not alone in that regard. I'm so glad you are now settled and relaxed in your second home and all is as it should be...Enjoy your lovely long break and looking forward to hearing all about your stay.
Post by: Babs on July 25, 2016, 10:02:03 PM
Nothing will stop our intrepid Shirl!
Look forward to hearing all your adventures!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 26, 2016, 04:56:09 AM
Monday but definitely not Mundane! We aren’t sure what time zone we are in, Bob waking around 5am every morning, followed by me at 6am! Whether it’s the heat, the minor bird or just the sheer excitement of being in Kalkan, we don’t know, but to be honest we don’t care either!

After lovely fresh coffee, sat on the balcony looking at the beautiful view of Mouse and Snake, it was going to be a first for me today! Plan is this holiday to have a walk every morning before breakfast, Shirl has been trying hard to get a bit fitter this year, and have managed to do the Couch to 5K over the past 3 months, and if you knew me I am definitely not a runner, but have done it and am so pleased with myself! But running isn’t an option for me out here, so am going to keep up my steps on my Fitbit by a walk every morning, (Fitbit hasn’t broken yet K4E, but I keep looking at it!), so a walk it is, and today an early morning swim in the sea! Off I set, 6.48am!, town was already very busy, with the greengrocers setting up, the smell from the Bakery was divine, tried not to look in that direction, but gosh it smelt fabulous.By this time 2 dogs had joined me, I tried to discourage them, as felt uneasy, but they were so sweet, and followed me all the way down to the town beach. I walked along the harbour, all the boats moored up and the boat boys all sleeping on their night duty.  Such a lovely sight.  Thinking I would be the only one, NOT! There were 8 other people in the sea, it was absolutely beautiful.  Thought it would be cold but it definitely wasn’t.  Tried to get out of the water as lady like as I could, but it just didn’t happen.  I managed to stay upright just though!! The 2 dogs were still waiting for me, and true to form they walked slowly with me all the way home.

Our day unfolded as follows, trip to the Bank, as we had on Saturday, but it was shut then, took our ticket and queued for what seemed liked ages, but Bob was eventually seen and money changed to lira. Exchange rate in the Bank today was 3.98.  Next stop Turkcell to top up the Turkish mobile phone, it took ages in there, but we were happy as the air conditioning was lovely.  Down to the beach we went again.  Sunbeds this year 15Tl for 2 including an umbrella.  Quite a few people on the beach today, so that was good to see. There weren’t many boats out, which wasn’t so good, but hopefully things will pick up soon for them all.

We went to Kleo at lunchtime, we were made so welcome, and we sat and watched the world go by for an hour or so. Their menu looks great, so will definitely be going again.

We didn’t leave the beach until almost 6pm, and are already planning our moonlit beach picnic sometime this week, with of course a moonlit swim.

Taxi back home or a stroll through town to see where we are going for dinner tonight, the stroll was favourable at the time, but so regretted it when we finally arrived back. It was scorching! 

Back home and Bob wanted to try out his take on making a Daquiri in the new Blitzer! And very good it was too, too good to be honest, because after a large glass, I was feeling a bit woozy.  I stopped at one though, as time was getting on and dinner was a bit overdue.  We finally went out around 9pm and wandered down into town, not sure where we wanted to go, but stopped at a new little restaurant called Sehzade Kebab, which is just below Coriander. Lovely food and lovely people, we will definitely go back.

We had had a perfect day, but the only thing that isn’t so good, is the ankles are starting to swell and I have 3 enormous bites on my legs and back! Not sure when, how and why, but they aren’t a pretty sight!

Kekova today so will report back very soon!

Sx

Post by: Haybo on July 26, 2016, 06:06:41 AM
Good morning! Sorry to hear about the bites.  Try the hot spoon trick..it is supposed to work a treat! Great job on the couch to 5k thing.  Enjoy your walk today x
Post by: Babs on July 26, 2016, 07:07:29 AM
What is it with this walking nonsense? If people insist on keeping it up then I may well have to do the same!
Hope you have a lovely day Shirl, I'd like to do Kekova again this year.
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 26, 2016, 11:35:23 PM
Well done with the walking Jayne, keep it up. Not only will you be helping balance the calorie intake (I speak from experience...) you will get to see parts of Kalkan that you would miss if you travelled in a car or taxi. Hope the Fitbit holds up, I have a swanky new one but I wish I could have just had my old one working in Kalkan as the step count was pretty serious...!
Aaah the fat feet and Mosquito bites....it's a bi-product of being in Kalkan. How's the KCP? Kalkan Calf Pain? With your daily walks it will kick in sooner. Love the dog convoy thing, used to get them all the time when we stayed in Komurluk and walked back and to...not any more though, really miss them. Someone told me the dogs are getting protection from being close to a human...not sure how true it is.
Hope you had a grand day at Kekova - I'm sure you did :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 27, 2016, 08:57:58 AM
So glad Kleo's open again, you can't beat a good mooch and a pitstop overlooking the harbour/beach. Note how I said "mooch". I really admire your walking regime and I have every intention of mooching in your footsteps soon. We will be like the tortoise and the hare  ;D ;D ;D

Post by: Babs on July 27, 2016, 09:21:45 AM
No one has really mentioned Kleo this year, glad to hear it's doing well.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 27, 2016, 04:39:06 PM
Tuesday……….

Well we had the most fabulous day from start to finish! Collected by car at 8.45am and taken to the top of the town for our transfer coach to Kekova.  A friend’s son and girlfriend were also on the trip, so was lovely to see them both. The coach journey is magnificent, such beautiful views. A quick stop on the road just outside of Kas to take in the view and photos overlooking Meis and we were off again. Hundreds of mountain goats were on the road on the way, I have never seen so many goats, they are such lovely animals.

We reached our destination and boarded the boat.  All I can say is that Kekova never disappoints! From the scenery to swimming, lunch, views and the history of the place! My promise today was to finally after 6 years walk to the top and take a selfie at the castle, but you’ve probably guessed it, was so hot, we only made the ice cream shop and a wander round. We bought some fresh oregano/thyme, not sure what it is, they told us Oregano but Google Translate converts both to Kekic! A fridge magnet, and some local olive oil, and we were done.  There were 2 huge turtles they must have been the size of dustbin lids, and we stood for ages trying to get a photo with their head out of the water, we just about managed it. 

Two things to learn from today though, don’t stop to look at the herbs that are growing, a lovely Turkish lady came over to speak to us, and insisted on breaking off the biggest piece of Basil for me, it was like a bouquet, the Captain on the boat put it in water, and believe it or not we got it back to the apartment, and have planted it out to see if it roots again!

Secondly, to my horror, I launched myself into the sea from the boat still wearing my Fitbit!! K4E, I wanted to cry! But guess what?? It’s still working! Lesson learnt, today its been in the beach bag all day!

Arrived home around 7pm, very tired, but so chilled and happy.  Bob cooked dinner for us, as all I could manage was a trip to the Balcony let alone town! By the time we had eaten it was quite late, and at almost midnight we decided to call it a day!

Wednesday……

My morning walk this morning a round trip to town for eggs! Didn’t realise the supermarkets don’t open until 8am, but the chicken shop that sells the cheese was open, so popped in there, it’s like an Aladin’s cave, so many lovely things in such a small shop.  I bought some Feta cheese and eggs, he sells fresh village eggs too. Greengrocers as always was buzzing, popped in for some tomatoes, so different from at home, they are delicious. We have eaten loads since we’ve been here already. A walk home via Kalamar road looking at the lovely properties in the side roads, and Turkish breakfast was in the making for us.

Indigo Beach Club was our port of call today.  Back down the hill and a quick walk along to watch the boats going out, almost all of them were out today.  Spoke to Captain Abdi on Pina-X to confirm our bookings, and Adem in Yildez, Osman on the other Yildez had already left and it was only just after 10am. Looking forward to our day on there next Monday. 

If you haven’t been we thoroughly recommend Indigo Beach Club, all new decking, easy access to the sea, lovely menu and no hard sell.  10Tl per person for a sunbed and umbrella, we were there 6 and a half hours.  At 5pm, they bring freshly cooked cake round, we have had a fab day. The evening menu looks amazing, they do a BBQ set meal too. The owner told me that his favourite thing on the menu is the shrimp casserole, and I love it, so will definitely be trying that. 

Back home now via the supermarket on the Harbour, Bob is very pleased, he bought a case of Tuborg Gold for the duration (his favourite beer) better hurry up here Automan or it will be gone!!

It’s been a busy day, we’ve booked for Bread & More Curry night with Jawad on Friday, phoned Adem on the Kas Road and booked to go there too, such a lovely man, he remembered us so well, looking forward to seeing him soon.

Tonight we are off to Moonlight Terrace for dinner with Chris the Spark and Bernie, and feel after today I need a sleep first.

Will report back soon!

K4E, my ankles are swelling nicely, the bites aren’t so bad now, and Bob’s calfs are painful!

Lizilu can't wait to be mooching with you guys! Don't forget our traditional annual foot photo too!  :D

Thursday - Market day, and we need a salad spinner…..

Shirl

Post by: Babs on July 27, 2016, 05:46:58 PM
Shirl....a salad spinner? You know how to spoil yourself!  :laugh:
I read your post just before I left the office this afternoon and sighed so loudly that people asked me what was wrong! What's wrong? I want to be in Kalkan!!
Post by: Haybo on July 27, 2016, 06:16:23 PM
Another fab report.  We are really looking forward to Kekova...a first for us! Wanted to try Indigo club with Nat but someone told us some things that turned out not to be true, so maybe I can convince the boys to try it in 21 days time!

We will be eating in alot this year so good to hear about the fab fresh food we can get on the doorstep! We tend to just walk past these little shops!
Post by: keith on July 27, 2016, 07:21:01 PM
Thanks for the descriptive report. Is it true that your last post is now available, in paperback, at all good bookshops?  lol I love it when we get a detailed report as it really gets the imagination going and you can almost  believe that you are actually in Kalkan.
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 27, 2016, 08:16:12 PM
Another fab report Shirl.

Enjoy your evening   :)
Post by: RosiB on July 27, 2016, 09:00:07 PM
Fab report, Jayne! I love that little deli shop - such a variety of things and their cheeses are amazing, too!
Post by: BeyazGül Apt. on July 27, 2016, 09:39:21 PM
The little deli shop is called 2M Cadde, Memet will also do delivery service.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 28, 2016, 05:24:02 AM
Thanks for all your lovely comments guys.  :D early morning walk will incorporate the market today!
Post by: Babs on July 28, 2016, 08:34:08 AM
And a salad spinner......apparently!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 28, 2016, 09:29:15 AM
Said purchase accomplished Babs  ;D. Will report back later  :D

Post by: kalkan4eva on July 28, 2016, 11:20:54 AM
Loving your reports Jayne...! We love Kekova too and went again this year after an absence of many many years. Nothing has changed in all that time, I'm happy to report. Next year for the castle eh?
A wet Fitbit...oh no! You need to buy a bag of uncooked rice and dunk it in for 24hrs. I also got mine wet - just got in the shower with mine for absolutely no reason. It was still working but a couple of days later I couldn't see the screen as it was full of condensation. The lovely people at Fitbit told me to do the rice thing as it draws out any moisture that may be trapped in the "inner workings" which can ultimately kill it....eeeekkk!
Did you only buy a salad spinner on that stall in the market..? I always think if I was an owner I'd buy all sorts on that stall every single week. That stall and the shop near Carefour...
Shame about the ankles Jayne - have you tried the fat feet pills? I think Mother Nature is very cruel, when we want to wear our nice open, blingy sandals that we cant wear at home because its cold and raining, our feet chub up and refuse to play ball.
Keep the reports coming...
Post by: keith on July 28, 2016, 08:32:21 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable read Shirl......looking forward to your next post.........hopefully quite soon.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 29, 2016, 07:18:40 AM
Thursday……….

Well Market Day, so off we went, thinking we would get up there before the sun! but it was already boiling by the time we left! First stall was the spice man and lady with the Turkish delight, before I knew it I was sampling it, a bit early, but didn’t want to be rude! Delicious it was too, so we said we would buy some next time to take home.  New this year are blu-tooth Beats earphones, and before I could say anything the guy had them on my head with music blaring out from his phone! Brilliant things though, so have those on my list too for next week! Salad spinner now purchased, some lovely fruit and salad and we were done! Off to the Bus Station next to check out the timetable for Kapatus and Kas.  They seem to run every half hour until 23.30pm! so will be planning a trip there soon. It was only around 10am and it was very hot, so we took a slow walk back laden with all our goodies in our tartan shopping trolley! Sounds naff I know, but this trolley has been a godsend this holiday already, even appearing at the beach with us, carrying all our towels etc! We’ve named it Scottie!

No plans for the rest of the day, so after dropping our stuff back and a quick freshen up, we wandered down and stopped at the Meldi Hotel for lunch and a swim.  What a lovely setting it is, very friendly people and lunch was lovely.  The people we spoke to seem to visit year after year, and we understood why, because it is lovely there.  We ended up staying there all afternoon, it was so relaxing.

Our plan tonight was our moonlit picnic at the beach.  We waited until the sun went down, loaded up Scottie with all our goodies (Bob had made a lovely spicy chicken salad), fresh figs and peaches from the market, a bottle of white and red wine and we were good to go! It was almost dark by the time we arrived, lots of people still there doing much the same.  Laid the table complete with cloth (well sunbed) and all was set. Wish I could post a photo on here, but those of you that I know on Facebook will see our feast!  Had a dip in the sea, it was so calm and very warm, Dire Straits on the Beats and we were in Paradise.

We left the beach around 11.30pm, the harbour was still very busy, which was a lovely sight as we walked along. Chatted to Osman on Yildez and Abdi on Pina X and off to the Taxi rank to go back up the hill.  We had a fabulous evening, but sleep beckoned now!

By the time we got back and had a nightcap (as you do) it was almost 1am by the time we got to bed.

Friday………

Well 8am we woke up this morning, so sleep pattern is getting better.  What will today bring?

Shirl

Post by: Babs on July 29, 2016, 07:51:15 AM
Shirl.......I think you need to stop these posts.....they are seriously damaging to my levels of wellbeing!  :-[
Your day sounds perfect.......I love that you spend days at hotels, I'd never thought of doing that, mind you I'd never drag OH away form the sea! Your moonlight picnic sounds and looks amazing. We've never done that either but then I'm not sure it would be such a good idea in October.
Look forward to hearing what you get up to next......well, work beckons!m :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 29, 2016, 09:01:39 AM
Less than 2 weeks and I can bond with Scottie again... >:D
Post by: Trotter on July 29, 2016, 08:18:44 PM
Thursday……….
No plans for the rest of the day, so after dropping our stuff back and a quick freshen up, we wandered down and stopped at the Meldi Hotel for lunch and a swim.  What a lovely setting it is, very friendly people and lunch was lovely.  The people we spoke to seem to visit year after year, and we understood why, because it is lovely there.  We ended up staying there all afternoon, it was so relaxing.
[/quote]

And were were hoping to keep the Meldi a secret! Seriously these are some of the reasons that we return, everyone from the owner to the staff and guests, old and new, are so friendly and we have made a lot of friends.
Thank you for your reports which remind me of why we enjoy Kalkan and help overcome doubts we have had this year due to the problems  and we return in 59 days for 2 weeks-staying at the Meldi of course.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM
Friday ……….

We can’t believe that we have been here a week already! Been non stop but have loved every minute of it! It seems to be getting hotter by the day and am feeling a bit sunburnt so am definitely going to shade hop today.  The bites are still plentiful, but think the ankles are getting used to the heat now, or I am getting used to looking at them puffing up by the day!

Fresh tomatoes from the Market and poached eggs for us for breakfast today, we bought an array of both yesterday and are really enjoying our varied breakfast each morning. 

We weren’t sure where to go today, so packed up our towels etc and wandered into town thinking we may hit the beach again!  Stopped off at Kalkan Suites (used to be the Samira Gardens just down from Chillies), we stayed there a few years back. It’s really lovely,, spoke to the lovely Manager who is still there after all this time, such a lovely lady. We went in for a swim and that is where we stayed for best part of the day, it was lovely, very few people round the pool, but one family we spoke to remembered us from when we stayed there. 

On our way back we called in to see our friend’s son and girlfriend again at the Emir, and back home to get ready for our feast tonight!

We had booked the Buffet Curry evening at Bread and More tonight. We arrived at 7.45pm to a packed restaurant! And the smell as we walked down the road was amazing.  There must have been at least 70 people seated, and we were thinking how on earth is this going to work, but it certainly did, the food was excellent and plentiful, and we certainly did have a feast!! Jawad the Chef came out at the end and it was so nice to see him and his family, he certainly deserves to succeed.  The only thing I would say, is if you like Indian food, then you should definitely visit, it was fabulous.

We were absolutely full to the brim by the time we left, said our farewells and slowly and I mean slowly walked up the hill back home, it should have taken about 3 minutes, but I think it probably took us 10!!!

We retired early to bed tonight, it was just before 11pm, air conditioning and fans on, and I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow!

Saturday………..

Well according to my Fitbit I had 8 hours 14 minutes sleep last night, wow the most I have had since arriving has been 6 hours 45 minutes, and a couple of nights just little over 5 hours! So am feeling very refreshed and raring to go this morning.  Two mugs of freshly brewed coffee, no breakfast for us today as we are off to Kas!

Mode of transport was the Dolmus, we had been told that it didn’t stop in town anymore, so we trecked up to the Bus Station, hopped on the 9.45am Dolmus, surprisingly just Bob and I on board and off we set! Not up to the D400, but down into town! Stopping at the roundabout, apparently they do go that way, so much better for us next time.  The fare was 6TL each! Couldn’t believe it, so cheap.  The journey took half an hour, and the views were beautiful as we made our way along the coast road to Kas with still just the 2 of us on board!

On arrival on Kas, we wandered through the side streets looking in a few shops, but we soon realised that it was far too hot to shop, so time for an early lunch as we were starving by now! We went to one of the harabourside cafes, can’t remember the name, and ordered a tuna salad for Bob and a cheeky hamburger for me, 2 freshly brewed mugs of coffee and we were sorted! We had a very slow walk up the hill and didn’t know which beach club to go in, there are quite a few along there, but decided on the one we went in last year, Sea View.  Shown to our sunbeds, we didn’t even need to use our towels as they were all provided.  There was a sea mist today, but the view was amazing right opposite Meis, so we had a perfect view of the boats coming and going all day.  We had lots of dips in the sea today, it was the only way to go, as it was so hot.  We left around 5.30pm and wandered back down to the harbour to choose a restaurant for dinner. We had a beautiful meal, humous and mezze to start with the most enormous puffy bread I have ever seen! a Mexican steak for Bob, and a chicken snitzel for me, with salad, rice and the forbidden chips!! washed down with a bottle of wine! It was all delicious.

Time was getting on now, so we made our way back to the bus station and caught the 9.30pm Dolmus back to Kalkan.  Another 6TL each and this time 6 people on the bus, including us! And half an hour later we were back, the driver even dropped us off by Yali supermarket! What a service. A quick wiz into Yali for a few bits and we were back at home by 10.30pm!

The obligatory nightcap on the balcony and off to bed it was.  A perfect day was had!

Sunday…..

No plans yet, but will be back soon  :D

Shirl
Post by: msr on July 31, 2016, 07:42:42 AM
Glad you found Olive Garden, it us our favourite. Value for money with traditional Turkish food. We were there in July and we visited three times and even in this difficult year they were full.
Post by: msr on July 31, 2016, 01:05:17 PM
Whoops! Ignore my ramblings, meant to post on welovekalkan thread. They were the ones who went to The Olive Garden!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 31, 2016, 02:32:33 PM
Ha ha no worries. Think we will be going now as it sounds lovely  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 31, 2016, 03:11:02 PM
Us too. It really does sound lovely there.

I like the sound of that dolmus to kas, especially when there's plenty of room and great that it stops at the bottom of town too.

You really are getting out and about. I admire your stamina!

Enjoy your day today and look forward to reading all about it later.  8)
Post by: Chris_S on July 31, 2016, 03:45:01 PM
Now the Meldi secret is out - we've booked for 2017!

They won't let us do 2018 yet…
Post by: keith on July 31, 2016, 05:13:49 PM
Yet another fabulous post.......it's what we've become used to.......can't wait for the next instalment ☺☺
Post by: Skunk on July 31, 2016, 06:16:33 PM
Olive Garden is definitely worth a try. It has been there since we first went to Kalkan in 2000. Lovely food and always busy. The day in Kas sounds great with a good dolmas service. That is a must for us! Hope you have a great day on Yildiz tomorrow. Love those boats. Another must for us during our stay.
Keep em coming! Makes me excited to be going!   :) :) :)
Post by: joycie on July 31, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
Lovely lovely report. I love the fact that you walk uphill to a beach in Kas and the bus ride between Kalkan and. Kas is fabulous. Brian and I once did it in a dolmas with an elderlyturkish gentleman fast asleep on his shoulder. Nearly wet myself laughing.
Post by: joycie on July 31, 2016, 06:42:24 PM
Should have added that five weeks tomorrow we'll be wending our way to Kalkan for a lovely three week break. We're meeting up with friends who introduced us to Kalkan and friends that we met at the Nur apartments a while ago. Can't wait.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 02, 2016, 11:24:59 AM
Two perfect days, Jayne.
Public Transport is incredibly cheap and frequent enough to make use of - have to say I'm a fan. We haven't been to Kas for years - I try to like this place because I think I should but it just doesn't have the same friendly vibe for me and it feels very German  :o - maybe we've just been unlucky and should try a day at a beach club, for a change. I certainly love that wonderful drive...
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay, cant believe a week has gone by already but you still have loads more weeks ahead...you lucky things  :)
Post by: Mayday1 on August 02, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
I think Kas has a very strange atmosphere.It does have a definite german vibe and generally,shops etc do not seem anywhere near as genuinely friendly towards Brits as Kalkan.......i like kas harbour,i like the marina,i like the peninsula,and i like the trip over from Kalkan with great views..........but i really dont see the attraction of the town itself,but others love it and thats fine........personal taste at the end of the day.

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
Post by: keith on August 02, 2016, 07:21:01 PM
We've always promised to be more adventurous but have never managed to drag ourselves away from Kalkan......maybe next time???........but I doubt it!! Kalkan delivers everything that we look for and has never let us down. We have looked at Kas as a possible day trip but, based on the previous posts, I don't think that we would be too disappointed if we don't make it on our next visit.😉😉
Post by: Haybo on August 03, 2016, 05:51:53 AM
Hay Shirl...are you having trouble with your red nipple?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 03, 2016, 06:07:50 AM
Ha ha Haybo, red nipple is working fine! Thanks for all your comments.

Sunday ……..

Day of Rest!

Slow start this morning, back to reality, I must put some washing on! A few clouds around today, but still a tad on the warm side! Turkish breakfast for us again, we certainly are getting through the eggs since we arrived, hung out the washing, and a wander down into town.  We still haven’t managed to look round the shops much, but that bag shopping has my name on it very soon.  We locked up and set off, and as we did, there seemed to be one of our large bath towels missing from the washing line! I took a double take, Bob said was I sure that I washed it, or having a senior moment! Yes of course I did I replied! There on the floor were the pegs but no towel! Went through the gate and there on the floor in the dust in a heap was our towel, and wagging his towel was the little puppy dog that now lives next door! So we guess it must have fallen off the line and he dragged it “out to play” if you get the gist! He is so cute though, I couldn’t help but laugh.

The beach was pretty busy today, so that is good, lots of people in the sea, still quite a few clouds, but it was pretty welcoming to be honest. We went into the Pirat for a drink, the view from there is stunning, quite a few boats out as well today.  Not sure whether it’s the heat, but was feeling quite hungry today, so lunch was beckoning! We decided to give Blue Marlin a try, having never been and hearing good reviews, and we are so glad we did.  It was delicious.  We ordered sizzling garlic prawns, crispy calamari, humous and cacik, all served with lovely fresh bread.  Talk about a scrummy lunch! Definitely would go back there. 

Went back late afternoon and Chris The Spark and Bernie had invited us round, was lovely to see them, had an early evening swim with them in their pool and a lovely catchup with a very welcoming couple of drinks!

We wandered back to ours, to the smell of Hunters Chicken which we had left in the slow cooker, having never used it yet out here, we were hoping that all was okay, but it certainly was.  Bob soon russled up the traditional green bean and tomato dish to go with it, with the added addition of some cubed  potatoes, it was yummy.

We’d had another relaxed day of fun in the sun, but were very tired so 11pm we hit the pillows!

Monday ………..

Yildez 2 today!

After a quick slice of toast and the lovely strawberry jam that you can buy out here, we were soon wandering down to the harbour.  We took the route via the Lykia Pavilion, such a pretty walk, we must remember to go in there for a meal one evening, the food sounds fab, and so does the happy hour that they advertise, which last all of 3 hours from 6.30-9.30pm! Just hurry up Lizilu, need someone to share a bottle with!! We arrived just before 10am, and Yildez 2 was already full with people, 16 of us on board, Bob and I were on the top deck with another couple, we had lots of space and thankfully lots of shade. 

Osman and his family as ever made everybody so welcome, coffee as soon as we boarded, and before we knew it we were one of the first ones to leave.  Out past the Town beach, and was it going to be Frank Bay for our first stop, oh no, we went left and off to Kaputus we went! We were so pleased, because usually whenever we go on a boat trip we don’t normally end up going that way.  Within 5 minutes of turning that corner, the boat slowed down and we heard a commotion, and there before our eyes was a pod of at least 6 dolphins. Could this trip get any better, it was such a fantastic sight, how lucky were we to see this. After ten minutes or so they disappeared, obviously to give someone else the pleasure of seeing them further along the bay.

Next stop Kapatus.  We moored very close in, and everything dived or jumped in the sea.  We were in paradise.

Our day was fantastic, lunch, well everyone will know, I don’t need to go into detail, how do they cook such fabulous food in that little space, and that cauliflower dish and chips....... We all had a feast.  There were a lovely crowd of people on the boat and everyone was having great fun. We arrived back at the harbour around 5.45pm, having had one of the best days. We went for a couple of drinks at the Pirat with a nice couple we had met on the boat, Reggae at the bar was very entertaining, and it was just the end to a perfect day at sea.  Taxi home around 8pm, and a quick chicken salad for dinner it was, as we were still full from lunch.

Tuesday ……….

Kekova again!!!

Well we wouldn’t normally do 2 boat trips in a row, but it worked out liked this, not quite sure why, but we were looking forward to our 2nd trip to Kekova today with Chris and Bernie.

Define tours collected us at 9am and off we went.  The normal beautiful drive along the coast and after an hour we had arrived.  Same boat, same lunch, same Captain and same swim stops as last week, all in all it was the same trip as last week, an absolutely fantastic day! We saw the huge turtles again, this week a lot more fish Bob saw when snorkelling though. The boys on the boat caught a few, we saw them gutting them, guessing they would be having them for dinner tonight. 

I didn’t make it up to the castle again! But who knows, we have one more trip to Kekova booked this holiday, so will let you know if I do!! Instead we stopped in the café for cold beers, coke and fresh orange juice followed by icecreams.

Back on the boat and one final swim before our short journey back to the harbour.  Back on the bus, just the 7 of us, but there seemed to be a problem at first with the air conditioning, it was like being in a sauna, but after a quick phone call by the driver it was working, and we were on our journey back to Kalkan.

Perfect day was had by all! We said goodbye to Chris and Bernie and back home we went.  A shower and plenty of aftersun for us tonight, feeling a bit sunburnt tonight after our 2 trips.  We had been told by a guy the previous day to put your aftersun in the fridge, weird we thought, but I tried it! And oh how cooling it was fab idea! Dinner was chicken guvec tonight, Bob manage to knock up this using up the rest of the green bean dish, another chicken breast with the added addition of some fresh tomatoes, and Eskine cheese on top.  It was delicious.

Anyway hope I haven’t rambled on too much!

Wednesday……

Jobs morning today!  ??? Bob is fitting a new solar light, so fun in the sun won’t be until this afternoon……..  :D Will report back in a couple of days

Shirl
Post by: Skunk on August 03, 2016, 11:02:19 AM
Great report Shirl. It's lovely to hear about all the places and people you know so well.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 03, 2016, 11:09:11 AM
What a fabulous few days you've been having. Love the story of the little puppy - cheeky devil!

Don't worry Shirl, we are hot on your heels, watch this space... ;) :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 03, 2016, 12:51:42 PM
Glad to hear Reggae is still at Pirat - he's a character! I blame him for getting horribly drunk one afternoon a few years back - he just kept filling up my glass. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...!
Jayne, you have to make the fort at Kekove on your next visit...the views are spectacular! Well worth the climb and the entrance fee...you can do it! Imagine the steps you'd get in that day :) :)
The first question for Osman when I get on the boat.."Kaputas today?"...I LOVE it when the boat takes us around there first thing, they are my favourite days at sea - providing we still get a mud bath...which is always my second question if Kaputas is a goer :)
Loving your reports Jayne, even when you have a day of rest, you still pack so much in...a day of rest for me is not moving my backside of the sun bed unless its to get into the pool..
Look forward to hearing more when you have the time.
Post by: joycie on August 03, 2016, 02:53:43 PM
These posts should be made compulsory reading for anyone who has an ounce of doubt about coming to Kalkan. They are joyous brilliant reading and I can't believe that anybody wouldn't want to come to this fabulous place and have a small piece of the fabulous holiday that Shirl is having.
Post by: tortoise lady on August 03, 2016, 06:19:38 PM
I agree, do try to make the trip up to the fort.   It is much easier to go up now than it used to be, proper steps etc.   I certainly won't make it this time with a wonky knee but have always done it in the past.   The view is glorious but it is also interesting up there , imagining the lives of those in the past.
Post by: Babs on August 03, 2016, 06:34:05 PM
Shirl......just perfect!  :angel:
Post by: Haybo on August 03, 2016, 07:05:08 PM
Pleased to hear your red nipple is ok.  You are having such a wonderful time! 2 weeks today we will be at Dalaman......
Post by: Sezkalkan on August 03, 2016, 10:30:13 PM
Loving your reports Jayne. You have 'transported' me back there. I'm not sure I can wait until October  ??? A very jealous and envious lady here!!!  Glad to hear you're enjoying yourselves and making up for lost time.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 04, 2016, 06:50:46 AM
Thank you for your lovely comments, but am not feeling the love this morning, feeling very fragile this morning, due to an over indulging Happy Hour or 3 last night!!!  :(

Tortoiselady, I am determined to walk to the Fort, I have one more chance this holiday, so hopefully will be able to say the week after next I have managed it!  :D

Shirl
Post by: Mrs M! on August 04, 2016, 09:56:30 PM
Great reading as always! Thank you :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 05, 2016, 06:36:20 AM
Wednesday………

I went for my morning walk today, have been a bit lapse of late as a little lie in seems much more appealing than getting up at 6am! Still waking at 7am but it is getting better. Did a round trip round the village and down to the harbour and by the time I got back I was dripping it was so hot. Called in at the Bakery for some bread, and bought the most delicious brown seedy loaf, 4Tl, will be buying that again for sure!

The Mozzie sprayers were out this morning in our road, lifting the drain covers and spraying.  The mozzies seem to have left me alone for the past couple of days, so that is a relief.

Solar lights fitted, leg on the George Foreman glued, and herbs potted all by 11am, result! A quick Turkish breakfast with yet more eggs, Bob’s loving the Ayran, I am not keen, so orange juice is my tipple, and as I say, we were good to go!

Not used to going out in the midday sun “mad dogs and Englishmen”, so we walked fairly slowly straight to the Meldi again! A swim and lunch was the order of the day, and what a lovely lunch it was.  Chicken salad Turkish style, it was huge and simply delicious.  Have booked to go for an evening meal to sample their steaks next week, everyone says they are delicious.

We decided we would watch the sunset at Lykia Pavilion so walked down the pathway at the side of the Asfiya Seaview Hotel, such a pretty walk to get down to the harbour.  It was “Happy Hour” half price wine and 2 beers for the price of one!! OMG, big mistake, we stayed until 10pm! And am I suffering or what this morning! It is absolutely beautiful in there, fantastic views a swimming pool in the bar! Lovely people, food and of course the 3.5 hour happy hour in the evening! We had a great evening, and finally we walked along the path towards the Taxi rank by the Pirat Hotel to get a lift back up the hill!

Thursday……..

Haven’t made the market this morning, feeling somewhat fragile, so another slow start for us!

Not quite sure what to do about my hair, it is getting bleached by the day more and more! 

Breakfast eaten, well you know what we would have had, so won’t bore you! Feeling slightly more human, we were ready to go and Kalkan Beach Club it was to be.  Wandered through town, the boat was already in and just about to leave, same lovely Captain and boat hand on board, greeted us both with such affection and remembers us well.  We went to pay our fare, but all change this year, no charge for the boat or sunbeds either, just what you eat and drink in their restaurant.  We had a lovely few hours over there, it wasn’t very busy though, but they all seemed happy.  Several swims in the sea, the paths were actually so hot we couldn’t walk on it without shoes.  They have 2 new canoes for using this year, which were obviously very popular.  We saw a few turtles swimming over there as we have done previously.  They also have a new shop there selling beach wear and beautiful sun dresses, I couldn’t resist buying one, all for 50Tl as well, so happy with my purchase! Back to Kalkan around 4pm, it was so hot when we got off the boat, we went for another swim in the sea, the beach was busy again today.  Next question was Taxi or by foot! We went for the latter, having stopped off for the most delicious frozen Mint lemonade.  We finally made it back. I think today has been the hottest day since we have arrived. As we trudged up the hills, I kept thinking to myself think of all the calories I’m burning, but boy was it a difficult walk today!

We showered and just chilled literally in the air con when we got back until almost 9pm.  Hunkars for dinner for us, not having been yet this year, it was so busy when we arrived, but got a table almost immediately, the lovely lads still there all working so hard.  Chicken shish for me and chicken wings for Bob and the usual array of other bits they bring too, it was delicious.  Next stop Blue Turtle Bar to listen to the live music, met up with Chris and Bernie who had just arrived.  It was so hot tonight, mozzie van was out in force spraying all the trees, and this morning I have woken up with about 4 new bites on my legs! It was almost 12.30am by the time we got home, but another day of fun in the sun had been had!

Friday ………..

Well 2 weeks ago today we arrived, can’t believe how quickly it has gone now! Our friends arrived last night, so looking forward to seeing them later. 

Bob and I are getting the Dolmus to Kaputus this morning, so looking forward to climbing those steps NOT!!!  ;D ::)

Shirl

Post by: sun seeker on August 06, 2016, 09:44:24 AM
We did the same day trip to Kas last year and liked it so much we booked a week there in June prior to 10 days in Kalkan. We had a fantastic week its more cosmopolitan and refined, we did not  encounter any Germans. The shop keepers and restaurants were very friendly and helpful. It was a refreshing change from Kalkan, well worth a day trip or a 2 centre stay with Kalkan if you want more variety.   
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 08, 2016, 05:45:44 AM
Friday ………

Kapatus it was then! Wandered into town and waited for the 10.45am Dolmus opposite Yali, it didn’t arrive and we thought we must have got the times wrong, but 5 minutes later it was trundling down the hill, we flagged it down, hopped on 3TL each and 10 minutes or so later we arrived at Kapatus Beach.  Oh boy what an amazing sight as we walked down those steps, we took lots of photos, the beach was already very busy, we managed to get 2 sunbeds and 2 umbrellas right in the front row. Now for the fun part, or in actual fact it turned out not to be so much fun.  The surf was pretty rough, and on entering the sea once past the waves it was quite calm, but omg, actually trying to get out was a pretty hair raising experience! I ended up on my first attempt in upside down and under the water! Bob hadn’t even got his sandals off! We had great fun though, but after almost 2.5 hours the heat was unbearable, so we decided to head back to Kalkan. but we had timed the Dolmus exactly right, a very slow walk back up those steps, now completely in the sun, but we made it and within 3 minutes the bus arrived we were back in no time at all. We were glad we did time it right, because the bus shelter at the top of the steps had 5 scooters in it!  We stopped off at Carrefour for a few provisions. On unpacking our shopping, sadly as I put one of the bags on the floor as we unlocked the door, it fell and out fell Bob’s red wine, smashing all over the floor, what a mess it made too, I just got the look, knowing exactly what he was thinking, but fortunately nothing more!!!!!

Our friends had arrived so we spent the afternoon at their apartment catching up with them, it was lovely to see them, and we spent the afternoon in the pool as it was so hot today, I think the hottest day yet..

We always call Fridays at home “Fun Time Friday” usually after a busy week at work, but tonight definitely wasn’t one of those! The new Raclette was going to feature, we had bought different meats and haloumi cheese with various salad etc to go with it, set it all up on the balcony, and to our complete disappointment it didn’t work.  It just didn’t get hot, the little pans underneath barely got warm and the stone on the top was pretty much useless.  After an hour of Bob saying it will be fine, and I knew for certain that it really didn’t look like it was going to work, we took everything off and cooked it all on the hob! What a disappointment.  It is quite heavy and took up a big part of our luggage allowance, so the only thing for it was the bin!!! But I will be definitely contacting the company to make a complaint!

After a stressful evening, we decided to call it a night and were in bed by 11pm!

Saturday ………..

Woke up this morning feeling better, and decided to go for my early morning stroll, this morning to Kalamar Bay, what a beautiful walk it was, quite a few dogs along the way following but after a while gave up and they turned round and headed back to where they came from.

Back home after a lovely hour’s stroll, to freshly brewed coffee and the normal breakfast!

Pina X today, looking forward to our day on this boat very much!

Well can it get any better than this, we had the most amazing day on Captain Abdi’s boat, we met some lovely people, including Helen who runs the Old Town Hotel and Café in Kalkan who was on board with her friend from Australia, it was lovely meeting them, and we will definitely be going along for coffee and what sound like amazing cakes and desserts at the café, there were only ten of us on board so it was just perfect! And as for the lunch, well!!!! ….. every year we say wow! but this year it seemed to have the Wow factor and beyond, it's incredible what Abdi serves up, and we are very glad that we have booked again when Lizilu and Automan get here, which isn’t long now!!! :D :D :D

Arrived back at the harbour around 5.45pm and what seems to be a normal occurrence now after a boat trip, off to see Reggae for a drink at the Pirat.  Bob went and ordered drinks, while I popped into Diva downstairs for a quick eyebrow threading, 10 minutes later, I was done, they looked fab and all for 10TL! A pedicure will be the next appointment in there in a week or so.

Up the final flight of stairs and the Pirat was in the party mood tonight, someone’s birthday and cocktails were being served in the pool on a huge floating tray, Happy Birthday blaring out on the music system, was a lovely sight to see that it was busy there.

By the time we arrived back it was after 8pm, tired, but what a fab day we had.  Bob made a lovely Halloumi salad, and by 11pm we were in bed asleep.

Sunday ……….

All inclusive Tour booked today with Define Tours, prompt on the dot of 9am we were collected by a lovely air conditioned bus, only 8 of us in our party today.

Leg 1 - Saklikent Gorge!

On arrival, we noticed that zip wires and a bungee jump were the new additions this year, well we didn’t go last year, so maybe they were there we don’t know.

6 of our party were doing the Ringos and Zip Wire, but we had opted for the Gorge  only! although part of me did think, maybe I should do those Ringos one year, they look great! 

We all walked up to the Gorge with our Guide, there it was the familiar sight, everyone clambering down those huge rocks into the deep water at the bottom, trying not to fall over. Well we made it down to the rope and I hung on very tightly and made it across to the start of the Gorge.  Normally, we only have ever made it half way, but today we decided to try and go a bit further, and we certainly did! We made it right to the top until we were waist deep in water and couldn’t go any further.  It was slightly scary in places, but we were so pleased we had managed to do it.  Then for the return trip, the Guide went on with the rest of the party as they were doing to the Ringos, so Bob and I had a slow walk back stopping off to take lots of photos on the way. It was fab.We bought the hideous photos that they take on your entry to the Gorge, we always buy them, not sure why, we have loads in the cupboard at home! Next stop coffee and a sit down on the Ottoman seating watching everyone launch themselves down the river in the Ringos! We swam in the pool there, it was getting very hot now, but soon enough the rest of our party had completed their activities and by 1pm we were back on the bus.

Leg 2 - en route up to Yaka Park for lunch. Chicken, Fish or Meatballs was on the menu, the usual fayre,  but very nice it was, we opted for Chicken and Meatballs and shared them with the usual salads, pasta, potatoes etc.
We looked around the fish farm there and stood at the bottom of the water fall for a cool off, and then back on the bus again.

Leg 3 – A short drive down to Tlos! By this time is was very hot, so half of us opted for the café and the other half went up to the ruins.  We had a fabulous view of them though, so we guessed we had the best of both worlds.  Fresh orange juice and pomegranitte juice was on the menu and both were absolutely delicious.  We bought some local mountain village olive oil, fresh figs, peaches and tomatoes, and some olive flower perfume that they make, the smell is absolutely amazing, you would think it was the most expensive perfume.  We bought 4 little bottles and it was 5TL each!

Leg 4 – We were really looking forward to the last stop, Patara Beach for a swim! It was very hot on arrival, glad I had my flip flops as the sand was scorching.  I was just hoping the surf wasn’t too rough, but we were lucky, a little surf but perfect for an hour and a half’s cool off.  It was an absolute perfect way to end a lovely day out.  A quick beer in the beach café for Bob, and back to the bus for the short journey back to Kalkan. 

All we did tonight was to make a tuna salad for dinner with the most peppery olive oil we have every tasted, oh we so wished we had bought more!

Monday ………

Day of rest, nothing planned, other than Adem’s Restaurant tonight, we will see where the fancy takes us!

Shirl

Post by: Haybo on August 08, 2016, 06:08:35 AM
Good morning Shirl! Another fab few days then! Just heading into last full week at work, then 2 days next week and we are on our way!

I love it that you do these things even when it is boiling! Looking forward to going to Adams ourselves this year...didn't make it last year.  We did Tlos in our jeep last year, but it was hot then too so M and I abandoned the ruins and hit the cafe.  We bought some fruit from some cute kids in the car park!

Have you eaten at Olive tree/garden. Cant remember which! They spray you with some lovely stiff on the way out.  Want to get some for my friend.

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 08, 2016, 11:13:37 AM
Just catching up with your blog, Jayne. No wonder you're both in bed at 11pm - you pack so much into your days it truly amazes me. We haven't visited Saklikent etc for years, as I've got older I've got less adventurous and my fear of injury overtakes my free spirit. I remember being quite scared in some of those climbing parts of the gorge and its put me off going back..I love Kaputas, such a beautiful spot, such a hideous climb. We haven't been since it was "upgraded". Does the little beach cafe do food? Can BH get a cold Efes - meaning we wont have to lug the cool bag down and then up? Might have some wine in there too...mind..!
Thanks for providing my Kalkan fix, just love reading your blogs :)
Post by: RosiB on August 08, 2016, 12:06:31 PM
Great post, Jayne - you are having fun! We went out on Pina X1 yesterday - great day and fabulous food!
Post by: Skunk on August 08, 2016, 02:24:25 PM
It all sounds fantastic if not a tad energetic Shirl. I expect you'll be glad of a bit of a chill out today. That Delphine tours trip to Saklikent and Tlos sounds great. Trip to Patara thrown in as well. Might try that and get the olive oil and water stuff from Tlos. Enjoy your dinner at Adem's tonight. 
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 08, 2016, 03:37:19 PM
That's it Shirl and Bob, exhaust yourselves and get it out of your system until we arrive then you can lounge about lazily like we intend to do  ;D ;) ;D Only joking, your influence will give us a well needed kick up the backside.

Have a fab day and enjoy Adem's tonight.

See you soon.  :-*
Post by: Alex on August 08, 2016, 06:54:17 PM
I haven't read all the posts, just a few, but how busy/or not, is Kalkan? I've seen a few threads, particularly from owners, about their bookings being way down on previous years, obviously due to what has been happening recently in Turkey, also seen some reports about the restaurants being pretty quiet because there isn't the amount of tourists as there normally is.
So have things picked up or not? Reports seem to indicate that tourists are giving Turkey a wide berth this year.

Thanks.
Post by: keith on August 08, 2016, 07:58:36 PM
Another epic post Shirl. Sorry to hear that your new gizmo didn't work but as always your resilience shines through. I get breathless just thinking about all the activities that you pack into your holiday......l don't know how you do it!!
Post by: alantj on August 08, 2016, 11:56:30 PM
Friday ………

The new Raclette was going to feature, we had bought different meats and haloumi cheese with various salad etc to go with it, set it all up on the balcony, and to our complete disappointment it didn’t work.  It just didn’t get hot, the little pans underneath barely got warm and the stone on the top was pretty much useless.  After an hour of Bob saying it will be fine, and I knew for certain that it really didn’t look like it was going to work, we took everything off and cooked it all on the hob! What a disappointment.  It is quite heavy and took up a big part of our luggage allowance, so the only thing for it was the bin!!! But I will be definitely contacting the company to make a complaint!

Shirl
Post by: amber on August 09, 2016, 08:27:05 AM
In answer to the post by Alex,Kalkan is quieter this year.Its the same for all the tourist resorts along the coast.Tourists frightened off by the thought of terrorist threats and more recently the coup situation.I have read some UK new reports that are very scaremongering and dont depict the reality of life, in places like Kalkan.
We have seen more Turkish tourists this year and more of a mix of other nationalities too but less Brits/Europeans overall.Such a shame for locals,every family is probably reliant on work from tourism, one way or another.
I can honestly say that Kalkan feels the same as ever,of course when news of the attempted coup broke it was talked about on every street corner and cafe but life goes on in the normal calm,beautiful,welcoming way,as normal.

Post by: Mayday1 on August 09, 2016, 09:31:12 AM
Well said Amber for giving a very realistic sensible account of life in Kalkan....the biggest enemy to turkish tourism is only partly the fear of terrorism and the attempted coup........but mainly,its actually the uk gutter press giving uninformed opinions,which is keeping people away unnecessarily

......................................................................................

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
Post by: clara 50 on August 09, 2016, 06:26:59 PM
Thanks for the posts especially about the atmosphere In KALKAN
We couldn't go last year due to family bereavement so was looking forward to celebrating a delayed silver wedding there this year. Put off booking due to the recent problems did think about just outside Kyrenia as you have a great Turkish welcome there too. Back looking at KALKAN AGAIN but the family worry about us going there which makes me doubt
So confused now after hearing your great reports, help lol

Post by: joycie on August 09, 2016, 06:42:08 PM
I'd be more worried about going to any of our big cities especially. London. Paris etc have all had their problems I haven't heard of any in or near Kalkan. I've checked in on line printed my boarding card and four weeks today we'll be there. CANT WAIT.
Post by: msr on August 09, 2016, 07:11:29 PM
Kalkan is exactly the same as it has always been. You will feel far safer there than any major city, including London. Life goes on as normal and when you are there it is difficult to believe all the turmoil going on in the rest of the world.
We were in Kalkan post Brexit and came home 12 hours after the military coup.In Kalkan everything was as usual.Don't be put off by media reports and people scaremongering. Most of these people have never been to Turkey or experienced the warmth of the welcome you will get. This year is the time to show our support. We are returning in September.
Also the security at Dalaman airport is somewhat better than any of our UK airports.
Post by: clara 50 on August 09, 2016, 08:11:09 PM
Thanks for your replies I agree about the big cities I suppose living in a village we rely on what the media says and everyone else warning us about going
My niece was in Marmaris with the kids during the recent trouble and was pretty much oblivious to what was happening and was surprised that family at home were worried she had a great time as usual.OH on the internet now looking, so who knows leaving it a bit late as we have to go Aug BH . Well thanks again and all of you already there have an efes for us.Cheers!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 10, 2016, 05:46:02 AM
Hi everyone, just catching up on here, and I have to say that I too was very worried about coming out, but on arriving here almost 3 weeks ago haven't felt worried at all, we feel very safe and Kalkan is exactly the same as it always is.  We are hoping that things will pick up for everyone's businesses though, as it is a lot quieter. Clara50 hope you get something booked very soon  :D

Anyway back on topic! here goes!

Monday ………

Thank you for all your lovely comments, and this is how our Day of rest went!!!

Firstly, the mozzies seem to be out in force on me this week! Have quite a few horrible bites on my legs and arms! Despite spraying everything and everywhere, so am on my guard today!

Breakfast started off well, the lovely peaches and figs we had bought in the mountains yesterday it was to be with yoghurt.  That looks a bit thick I said to Bob as he opened it, firstly it was covered in a piece of what looked like greaseproof paper, and then it was cut in squares, yes you’ve probably guessed it, in fact it was cheese! Strange combination for breakfast but we tried it!

First stop this morning, change some lira into Euros for our trip to Meis tomorrow, am so excited to go there again.  That sorted, walk down through town, Bob wants another haircut, seriously the second in 2.5 weeks! But down to Eddie the Barbers we went, no queue so he was done in no time. This was definitely a first though, never seen it before, after cutting his hair, he put a nice strip of green wax on his nose, let it set and hey presto pulled it off, just like when you get your legs waxed! I was so trying not to laugh! Next stop Kaptan Sunglasses Shop to see Ibo, what a lovely man, he has become a really good friend since coming to Kalkan over the years. Bob bought himself a nice new pair of sunglasses, very fetching with his new haircut and nose wax I thought!

The Pirat for us today, we love spending time lazing around down there.

Lunch wasn’t on the agenda today, as we were eating at Adems tonight, but by 1pm I was really hungry, let’s just have a light lunch I heard myself saying to Bob. Well, we ended up in Aubergine, having never eaten in there before, I was looking forward to seeing the menu, and a light lunch it wasn’t!! I ordered chicken fajitas, Bob a steak burger (and the steak really was steak) and we thought maybe a salad to go with it, big mistake! The fajitas came with rice, salad and lots of lovely stir fried vegetables, Bob’s burger came with everything! And then of course the Moroccan salad was a meal in itself! We paced ourselves and almost managed it all, minus some of the salad!

Back to the sunbeds for us it was! Thinking we would only be having a very light meal tonight!

We made it back in time for a quick nap before getting ready for the lovely Adem to collect us, he never changes, such a kind and happy man, his younger daughter was waiting on tables this year, oh how she has grown, the older one is still at University.
We were seated on the top table, and the view and setting was perfect.  No starters for us tonight, well we changed our minds as soon as we got there! We ordered a sharing Mezze platter, and it was all delicious, especially the Borek, amazing! I ordered the shrimp casserole for main, and Bob a sizzling beef dish that came in a kind of Wok! It was all simply yummy! No dessert, well just a small one then I heard myself say! Lemon crepes with beautiful vanilla icecream! Complimentary Ameretos and we were stuffed to the gunnels! It was almost 11.30pm by the time we got back, need to get some sleep, best trip of the holiday so far tomorrow Meis here we come…….

Tuesday ……………

So excited for today’s adventure. Our friends arrived at 8.40am and shortly afterwards Define tours arrived to collect us all to take at to Kas to get the Ferry across to Meis. An uneventful journey to Kas taking in the sights, Kaputus and the islands, beautiful.  Only the 7 of us on the bus, and the air conditioning was full pelt.  We were dropped at the Meis Express Booking Office, we all paid our 30 Euros for the day trip, handed over our passports and walked the short walk along to the Ferry Terminal.  Within 15 minutes we were boarding and another 10 minutes after that we were off! Paul and Julie had never been before, and although we have once, we were all so excited, and as we approached Meis, I just couldn’t believe how wonderful it looked, cameras out and everyone taking photos. Paul said it looks like something off a film set, and he was spot on, because that it exactly what it looks like.

On arriving there, first stop was the Radio Café for a drink, one of the first ones on the harbour,  lovely coffees ordered, we all just sat and stared at the view! Still taking lots of pictures, and then as I remember last time the turtles appeared literally right in front of us, we all got some amazing photos of them.

Not sure what happened on the boat, I don’t know whether I was bitten on my lip or whether I had a reaction to the sun screen lip balm I had applied but my top lip had started to swell a bit and started to tingle, I tried not to think about it, and it would go off I thought!

We had all decided we wanted to get the boat to see the blue cave, there were a lot of boats going to and from the cave and also to the beach, it all seemed a bit confusing, but one of the Captains spoke to us and we decided to go with him.  The 7 of us boarded the speed boat and off we went.  It was a long way out right past the headland, the boat trip was absolutely fantastic, the warm water splashing over the boat as we went.  But then were we in for a shock or what.  Finally after what was about a good 20 minutes boat trip, he slowed down, and we were all looking thinking where is the cave, and there in front of us was the tiniest opening you ever imagined. The tide was rising, but he said that he could get the boat in there, everyone would have to take their positions and lie on the floor and remain still until we had entered the cave. He was the captain I thought and knows what he is doing, but I had no idea that it would be like this, and being somewhat claustrophobic I was absolutely terrified, so sadly I couldn’t do it. Having spoken to a couple of other people, when they did it, they apparently got out of the boat and swam in.   I don’t regret doing the trip, because on the way back we were dropped off at a lovely beach for an hour, we swam and saw more turtles, and then the Captain returned to collect us and took us back to Meis Harbour.

My lip had really swollen up by this time, really not sure what it was, a kind girl had given me an anti-histamine at the beach, but I looked like I had had a session of Bottox that had gone very wrong!

Lunchtime now.  We opted for the restaurant that we went to when we visited before, right on the harbour overlooking the water.  Seafood features big time, so seafood it was.  Bob and I ordered a Greek salad, shrimps and king prawns all to share, and red and white wine to wash it all down with, our friends ordered the king prawns and swordfish, and their girls, calamari and burgers, and did it all have the Wow factor or what, simply delicious. 

By the time we had eaten, and taken yet more photos, it was almost 3pm, the boat leaving at 4pm, so we paid the bill, had a wander round, and quick stop at the Duty Free Shed! Well that is more or less what it is like, and we boarded the boat to come home.

We had all had the most wonderful day, well apart from the scary cave experience, and my still very swollen lip.  Back to Port, we had to hand the passports over again, 20 minutes later after a quick drink in the Bar next to the the Meis Office we were back on the bus en route back to Kalkan.

In no time we were back home, and on our agenda for the evening was absolutely nothing!!!

I just crashed on the sofa reflecting on the day, thinking next year it would be so lovely to stay over there for a night, we absolutely loved it. 

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, and when I opened it, the lady that stood there introduced herself as Tortoise Lady, what a lovely surprise, I invited her in, and we had a chat and she has invited us for drinks tomorrow at her Villa.  It was so lovely to meet her.

We really did nothing tonight, just a very small Tuna jacket potato, and by 9.30pm we were in bed!             

Wednesday …………….

Another day, but going to be a restful one, need to keep my strength up for when our lovely friends arrive tomorrow night! You probably know who they are ……..

Face not feeling the love this morning, lip still swollen and not looking my best, so a trip to the Pharmacy is the first thing on the Agenda. Not sure what has happened, but it isn’t a pretty sight!

Shirl

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2016, 09:58:24 AM
Oh Shirl, poor you and the lip. It sound like an allergic reaction to something. Maybe the lip balm if you've never tried that particular one before. At least you'll be able to do a good pout in your holiday snaps - seems to be all the rage now  ;D

Meis sounds fab, well, apart from the blue cave experience.

Brace yourselves and get plenty of rest today as the Lizilu contingent are just around the corner...
Post by: Chris_S on August 10, 2016, 10:15:09 AM
It still concerns me, why do you have to give up your passport to go to Meis?

This must be the only place in the world where you give Her Britannic majesty's documents to a foreign government when you leave that country.

Just what ID are you left with when you're in Greece, and you may need it?

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 10, 2016, 10:22:14 AM
Chris s,  they give you your passport back as you board the boat. They just take them for about 20 minutes and the same on the return back to kas.

Lizilu we are all ready for more fun in the sun!  :D
Post by: Skunk on August 10, 2016, 10:13:00 PM
Sounds fabulous Shirl. Certainly must try it for a day out. Sounds to me like that lip swelling was some.sort of insect bite. Hope you four have a great reunion and take Kalkan by storm! I should think it'll wonder what has happened to it! Enjoy!
 8) 8) 8)  >:D >:D
Post by: suzyq1 on August 11, 2016, 10:07:44 AM
Hiya Shirl, Just catching up on EK and your blog. What can I say except WOW.  ;D ;D I can not believe everything you have packed in. Feel as though I have just had a fortnight in Kalkan myself!

Keep thinking, we must do that next time, but some how it never happens. Perhaps the answer is to have a 6 week holiday…..now there's a thought. Sadly I can't see the boss agreeing to that one. :-[
Keep up the good work. I see your partner in crime is on her way so that should make for some "interesting" blogs ;D ;D

Post by: Kalkan regular on August 11, 2016, 10:47:01 AM
Could be cold sores if the lip was tingling as it was swelling. They can be brought out by the sun.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 11, 2016, 05:01:17 PM
Sorry for my lack of posts but had a trip to the doctor yesterday. Tablets and gel have sorted me out and I'm looking more presentable! The doctor said it was some sort of bite! Will catch up on my blog tomorrow. Sat in Fener now having a cold glass of beer and wine tracking my partner in c rime's flight!  :D
Post by: Haybo on August 11, 2016, 05:20:18 PM
I really wish there was a like facility on this site! They'll be with you soon enough! See you next Thursday x
Post by: keith on August 11, 2016, 08:25:02 PM
I personally don't  like the idea of a 'like' button. It is much nicer for the author of the post to get a written response. It shows appreciation of their efforts and, from personal experience, offers encouragement  to continue writing. This benefits all the readers of the forum and wets the appetite for the next visit to Kalkan.
Post by: Skunk on August 11, 2016, 08:59:45 PM
Ah thought it would be a bite! Glad you are feeling better. Love to Lizilu and Automan.
Can't wait to hear the antics you all get up to!
Love Skunk and N xxx
Post by: Chris_S on August 12, 2016, 10:39:40 AM
Thanks for clearing up the Passport mystery - no need to email Boris then!  :laugh:

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2016, 01:12:24 PM
Chris_S they used to keep your passport in Kas - we last went to Meis in 2009 and they kept it until we got back from the trip. It was that Greece/Turkey thing....glad to know they are more relaxed these days.

Oh Jayne, or should I say Trout Pout ;D ;D. Our friend was bitten on her lip a few years back and it looked so funny - as much as we tried not to laugh we couldn't help it. At least its on the mend now :)
Looking forward now to the two-handed blogs and all your escapades :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 12, 2016, 04:10:12 PM
Wednesday …………….

Well, fab service at the Doctors, and soon I was sorted with a prescription, and now time for a very chilled day at the beach was the order of the day! We did absolutely nothing, other than swim and cat nap on the beach. We went to see Tortoise Lady and her son Simon for drinks at Yellow Villa, they made us so welcome and Yellow Villa is absolutely beautiful.  Dinner tonight was at Celik on the top street along from Moonlight Bar. Fab meal, and after our lovely time with Tortoise Lady, we made our way down into town, where  we met some people that we knew from the Pirat that were going home tomorrow. We ordered our dinner,  Bob had a stuffed aubergine with beautiful lamb and I opted for a lemon chicken dish all served with the most creamiest mash potatoes, chips and vegetables.  Complimentary mezze starters and a beautiful fruit platter for dessert.  It was all delicious, and what made it even more special was that the owner (I can’t remember his name now) he knows very well Weymouth which is near to where we live!

Thursday ……………….

Up and out at 8am this morning to beat that sun coming up! Market day, and 4 sets of blue tooth ear phones was on our list.  By 8.45am shopping list all ticket off and breakfast was calling.  Had planned a Doner chicken sandwich at the van opposite the market, if you haven’t had one of these, you must do! But we were so early, the doner meat wasn’t ready.  So we opted for Sahil Sultan restaurant next to Ata Grill. It has been all refurbished and was lovely, previously Omar’s Kitchen. It was fab, chicken doner sandwich with salad was 5tl! I opted for a burger! Yes a burger for breakfast and it was so good, although couldn’t manage the gerkhins and chilli extras, but Bob managed to polish those off.  Amber was in there too, and was lovely to have a lovely chat with her. 

Back home and next stop Kalkan Beach Park for the duration. We had a fab day over there, not leaving until almost 6pm! Back to Port, and Bob mentioned Fener Bar for a drink, well would be rude to decline! We were in no rush this evening, we’d left a  chicken cooking in the slow cooker, so no rush!!!

Our evening unfolded with chicken salad around 9pm, a wander down to Blue Turtle to listen to Aklan singing, and then down to the Pirat for a drink with the new arrivals!!! And how lovely was it to see Lizilu and Automan! It was like we had never been away, lots to talk about, we certainly kept Reggae busy at the bar! Finally around 2.45am we thought we must call it a day, and a taxi it was back up that hill!

Friday ……………….

We didn’t wake until 8.45am!!! think I need to go to bet at 3am every night. Feeling very tired, but strangely ready for another day of fun in the sun! which is definitely on the Agenda today with our lovely friends!

May hand over the baton for a bit, but will be back soon.

Shirl
Post by: keith on August 12, 2016, 08:28:23 PM
Another brilliant post Shirl..........can't wait for our next visit to Kalkan. So many places to eat that we still haven't visited. Has anyone ate at every restaurant??
Post by: Babs on August 12, 2016, 09:10:46 PM
Please don't hand over the baton Shirl......it's so funny when you and Lizilu do your double act in terms of posts!
Post by: alantj on August 12, 2016, 10:10:00 PM
Another brilliant post Shirl..........can't wait for our next visit to Kalkan. So many places to eat that we still haven't visited. Has anyone ate at every restaurant??

A Mr Creosote was the last person to try but unfortunately it didn't end too well.
Post by: Chris_S on August 13, 2016, 12:29:45 PM
It's the wafer-thin mints that do the damage  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 AM
Friday ………

Well where did the weekend go! 3 days of fun in the sun has been had big time! We’ve basically spent the past few days lazing round the Pirat pool with the Gang! :D :D :D We’ve had such such fun, I have drank and eaten far too much though, but who cares we’re on holiday, still can’t get over how fab the steak is at Marina Restaurant, I sadly I tucked into too much of the puffy bread and mezze beforehand and I couldn’t manage it all though, so very generously gave Bob a good third of my steak!!! As Lizilu and a lot of people on here have already mentioned, well the Olive Garden, it's amazing! Really going to have to try and fit that one in again before we go home.

Saturday ……….

More of the same!

Sunday ……..

More of the same, but flagged at 7pm.  We ate in tonight, and Bob made the green bean dish with Mezgit! For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s like whiting fish, but simply delicious. If you want to cook in whilst on holiday, you can get it from the fishmonger above the Bakery in town.

All these early morning bedtimes have paid their toll tonight, we retired at 9.48pm! don’t tell Lizilu and Automan, or they will be calling us light weights!!!!

My phone seems to be playing up, not sure whether it is the heat but the screen isn’t working properly, so am struggling to load photos, just hoping it will last out until we go home to get it repaired. 

Monday ………

Well up at 8am and feel like a new woman today! Who mentioned light weights?????

Our fresh ground coffee is running low, think I have enough for one more cafetiere.  We brought out 4 packs and can’t believe we’ve almost used it all.  Think you can buy over here nice coffee, so will check that out later.

Bob has a couple of jobs to do this morning, but then we are off to the beach club for the day and meeting up with the gang for happy hour later!

Sorry my blog is not very long, but have been having too much fun to take notes of what we have been doing!

The tablets and the gel from the Doctor have sorted out my unsightly fat lip too!

We still have 3 more boat trips to look forward to including the 3rd trip to Kekova! and managed to book another one on Yildez 2 for next Monday, one of those moments when OH wasn't paying too much attention to what I was saying, so was booked before he realised!!! Result!!!  :D :D :D

Be back in a few days!!!

Shirl

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 15, 2016, 06:59:06 AM
Ha ha sounds like we've had Shirl in a whirl these past few days!!! I promise we will slow down now.  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 15, 2016, 12:27:40 PM
Oh Jayne, you need the odd early night to keep up with the party animals from "OOp North" ;D ;D
You can buy decent coffee in Carrefour - I also bought some decaff there when we ran out - but they had quite a big selection of brands you would recognise.
Enjoy another fun-filled week - looking forward to hearing more from Kalkan's very own Ab Fab ladies :-*
Post by: Babs on August 15, 2016, 06:03:43 PM
K4E......you're right with the AB Fab title for the girls!
Jayne......don't let lizilu wear you out! ;D I'm sure once her excitement of being in Kalkan again has settled you'll be able to keep up!  :laugh:
Look forward to hearing what you get up to next!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2016, 07:05:24 AM
Monday ……..

Firstly, totally lost track of the days and panicked this morning thinking I must do my blog! Cant even remember what day it is let alone what we have been up to, but slowly after a strong cup of coffee (yes we managed to buy some in Yali, not the same as at home, but it’s drinkable!) but much better than instant! The past few days are all coming back to me.

K4E AB FAB! Love it!!!!

Well down to Fener it was for coffee before we boarded the boat over to Kalkan Beach Park, we could spend hours just sat there boat and people watching, but not this morning, the sun was getting very hot and we needed to launch ourselves in the sea.  20 minutes later, sunbeds chosen on the front row, we were sorted.  We stayed until around 5pm as time to go back and get ready for Happy Hour at Lykia Pavilion with the Gang. I’m not going to go into detail of the evening’s events, but all I will say is that much fun was had followed by dinner at Hunkar, well I think that is where we ended up! I’ll let Lizilu fill you in on her blog!!

Tuesday ………..

Road trip day today to Kayakoy.  I was feeling slightly under the weather this morning, Bob was fine much to my annoyance! Never again was springing to mind!
Car was delivered and off into town to pick up a few bits, including a nice table from Kipa for the balcony and off we went in the direction of Fethiye. 

First stop Just Living near the Yesilkoy turn off.  What an amazing shop, I have never seen such beautiful furniture, and the most amazing garden and patio furniture.  We have our eye on 2 lovely sunbeds rattan style, so will be definitely getting those soon.

Back in the car and drove all the way to Kayakoy.  We were heading for a restaurant that we had been recommended called Cinbal, down a little track just before the village.  You choose your meat and they bring a bbq to your table and you cook your own food.  It was absolutely delicious.  We chose, lamb steaks, lamb chops, chicken and meat balls, they brought tomatoes, onions and peppers and a huge salad, mezzes and bread.  It was fantastic and we will definitely go back. After a very leisurely lunch, and full to the brim, we had a wander round Kayakoy, haven’t been for years but was nice to see again.  Back in the air conditioned car and we thought we would call in a Calis for a swim. We drove back via Hisonaru, haven’t been there for over 7 years, it wasn’t nice at all, and thank goodness we found Kalkan all those years ago.
On the drive back there was a black cloud and suddenly spots of rain on the windscreen! We couldn’t believe it, but within minutes the sun was shining again.  We spent 3 hours on Calis beach swimming and napping on the sunbeds.  The plan was to drive home via Islamlar, but we were still full from lunch, so decided to drive back to Kalkan and we stopped at Saliha Sultan next to Ata.  It is a brand new restaurant and really nice. We just had a chicken sandwich each and a lovely cheese pastry, and an Ayran for Bob, but all very delicious, total bill 12.5TL!! Would really recommend this place.

We got back about 9.30pm, having had a lovely day out. A nightcap on the balcony and 11pm bedtime for us.

Wednesday …………..

Kekova take 3!

Shirl

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 18, 2016, 08:23:35 AM
Fab blog Shirl,  your road trip sounded brilliant.
See you later for some AB Fab around the pool.   ;D  :-*
Post by: Skunk on August 18, 2016, 06:26:15 PM
Sounds like you are having a great time both of you. The trip to Kayakoy rakes me back. I agree about Hisaronu - stayed near there once and only went into the town once! 
Keep em coming - it is making all excited about going now.
Xxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 19, 2016, 01:39:52 PM
Thanks for posting Jayne (or should I say Patsy? Eddi?...)
Totally agree about Hisaronu...its not my idea of a holiday but I know people go year after year. Horses for Courses... Friends of ours stayed at Kayakoy this year - they normally holiday in Islamlar - and loved it so much they have already booked for 6 weeks next year. Again, we've not been for a while but we hope to meet up with our friends next year - we make a lot of plans like this and dont always keep them ;)
Look forward to hearing more about your stay :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 20, 2016, 07:22:59 AM
Patsy or Eddi ha ha ha  :D :D

Wednesday …………..

Kekova take 3! And what a lovely day we all had. We love this place so much, we took a different route once boarding the boat today, and went to a couple of different swim stops that we hadn’t been to before, it was a fab day and Volume Travel were brilliant! I will confess, I didn’t make the Castle, well there’s always next year!

We ate in tonight, Bob recreating the Prawan guvec, was delicious!

Thursday ……………….

Wander into town to check out the bags this morning, while Bob went to see Ibo in Kaptan Sunglass Shop.  Think I have chosen what I am purchasing later next week, together with some Chanel Espadrils for my daughter’s birthday.  When you actually look round there are quite a few bag shops, I always tend to go to the same one, but may look a different ones this year. My bag reccying done! Had arranged to meet Bob opposite Mousaka, he wasn’t there, so had a pit stop in Moonlight Bar. Billy No Mates I felt like, but the lads chatted to me until Bob arrived!

We then jumped in a taxi and sped up the Kalamar Road in no time at all for a lovely lunch and pool afternoon with the Gang! AB Fab afternoon it certainly was!!!

Our get together in Alternatif was such fun! Food, company, wine all top notch!!!

Back home around midnight I think! The wine had flowed far too liberally, and I realise now how my glass was always full (thank you Lizilu)!!

Friday …………………

Surprisingly felt fine this morning! So town Beach it was to be with the gang, 5 sunbeds and 3 umbrellas later we were set up for the day, we had a lovely lunch at Kleo and retired back to the sunbeds for a snooze and swims!

Last night we all ate in Wapiano on the recommendation of the Gang, we had a fab evening and the food was amazing! I had Grouper with shrimps in a creamy mushroom and white wine sauce, it was fantastic! Bob had marbled steak, and that too was delicious, it came with 4 pots of different sauces.  Us girls were on good behaviour tonight, but I did think after seeing Lizzie’s gin and tonic, that I would try one, I don’t even like gin funnily enough!

We decided on a nightcap in Kaya, such a happy bunch of lads in there, the new guy showing us his card tricks.  Was a lovely end to another perfect day of AB Fab fun in the sun.  Back up the hill, too near for a taxi we thought, but by the time we got back, we wished we had jumped in one!

Saturday ………………….

Well today, we have all been looking forward to so much, a private boat trip for the 5 of us!!! Will be back…………….

Shirl

Post by: keith on August 20, 2016, 06:48:14 PM
Another descriptive post Shirl and enough to get us salivating about our next visit. We're nowhere near as adventurous as you and some of the other regulars.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2016, 05:48:27 AM
Saturday ………………….

Well Saturday certainly was a fantastic day, thinking that as Smile boat was a smaller boat we might feel the waves more, but no, the sea was calm, and it was amazing.   :D We all had a fabulous day, Lizilu and I kept repeating ourselves saying "Wine, Sea and Swim" laughing out loud everytime we said it!  :D we would certainly recommend and be booking this boat again next year.  :D

Not sure where I managed to summon the energy from, as we usually stay home after a boat trip, as Automan quite rightly told me they normally do too, but we wanted to listen to Aklan at Yakamoz, so after a couple of hours rest, Aklan it was to be and as Lizilu has already said, I wasn’t the party pooper tonight!!!!! Bob and I managed to stay out until 1.30pm, not quite sure how after all that sea air, but we did.  Even when we got the taxi home, the bars were still buzzing down at the harbour.

Sunday ………………….

Day of Rest definitely…… A bit of a lie in, well for me, so that was good! Automan called in en route to the Bank, he didn’t even want any of my speciality coffee!! Bob and I had a late breakfast, and I walked into town to pick up a few bits in the supermarket and greengrocers, accompanied by Scottie to wheel said items back in! comes in handy sometimes! Our friends at the Emir were going home today, so we said goodbye to them, felt strange saying see you next year, but they have all had a fab holiday too.

We decided to go to Kalkan Beach Park for the rest of the day, stopped off at Fener for refuelling before we got the boat (non alcoholic I might add).  We spent the whole of the afternoon over there, not very busy when we arrived, but by mid afternoon it was very busy, so nice to see that trade was picking up for them.

We didn’t come back until around 6.30pm, but had enjoyed our afternoon.  Cooked in tonight, Bob cooked sizzling garlic prawns and made some of his homemade humous and it was delicious. 

Very boring tonight though – my bed beckoned at 9.45pm!

Monday ………………..

The early night has done me proud, feel like a new woman this morning! Up at 7am. Coffee made and sat looking at the sun come up over Mouse and Snake, a fab start to a Monday morning!

Yildez 2 again for us today, and can’t wait, as am thinking that this time next week we will have just left in the transfer car en route to Dalaman Airport!  >:(

Shirl

Post by: Babs on August 22, 2016, 07:50:04 AM
Oh Shirl, don't think about next week, just enjoy every minute you have left.......and don't forget to share!  :laugh:
Post by: Skunk on August 22, 2016, 03:04:37 PM
Shirl and Lizilu20, sounds like you had a great weekend. The smile boat sounds lovely. We will have to find someone to come with us! I can't believe your holiday is getting towards its end already. But work beckons I suppose. (Sob)
I have booked 2 days on Yildiz for when we are there. Can't wait now! Busy planning restaurants and outings at the moment.
Xxxx
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 22, 2016, 05:02:27 PM
Thanks skunk we did and Shirl, we have lots of Funtimes ahead 😄😄😄
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 22, 2016, 05:53:29 PM
There's still plenty of time to get up to mischief...
Hope you've had a great day with Osman and Zeynab today, its torrential rain here today, just think of that whilst you are basking in the sunshine ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 24, 2016, 06:49:34 PM
Thank you for your lovely comments everyone. Now where was I??? It's been difficult keeping up with my blog this week as have been a bit busy!!! not sure why?  :D :D :D

Monday ………………..

Well Monday Yildiz 2 for us it was to be and what a fantastic day it was! A small Turkish breakfast for us, as we knew the lunch that we would be having, and off we set.  Which way down to the harbour this morning, we have tried all ways to dodge the sun and find the shade and whichever way we go, there isn’t any! Fortunately we made it down in very quick time, and the heat wasn’t too bad. 

We boarded the boat, and within 15 minutes, all 11 of us were on board, and we were off! The sea was as calm as it could possibly be, so which way, was it to the right or to the left.  We went right and straight round to Firnaz  Bay for our first swim stop.  The water was crystal clear and turquoise and very warm today.  Absolutely fantastic.  The whole day was spent just hopping round the normal bays swimming and everyone having a fabulous time.  As there were only 11 on board, Bob and I had the whole top deck to ourselves, it was fantastic.  Lunch was incredible, every boat trip we go on, we always think can it ever get any better, well absolutely not, today’s lunch was amazing! Including the wonderful cauliflower dish that Zeynap makes, and how on earth do they make such lovely homemade chips in such a confined space! Shark Sauce as Osman calls it, Bob as usual asking for the recipe, just a whole bulb of garlic he said, lemon juice, olive oil and salt! Delicious on the fresh fish that was served to go with it.  Lunch eaten time to retire back to the top deck for a little nap, but no, it was now Magnum Time! A new flavour for me, Blackberry, not too keen on icecream, but couldn’t resist and it was so yummy!

More swimming and chatting with the other guests on the boat, and off to the mudbath. I didn’t gate crash anyone’s party today, as Osman swam ashore and filled up his bucket with the hot mud and before we knew it, everyone was covered with the stuff and standing like penquins on the beach to dry out.  Patience isn’t a strong point for me, so decided to launch myself back in the sea to wash off, but whether or not it is a myth, my skin felt like silk afterwards, just hope that it hasn’t removed my tan!

Back on board, yes the usual, more food! Beautiful fruit and then off to Mouse Island.  Osman reversed the boat right into the little bay and his daughter Yildiz jumped in complete with her fins on and swam across to the feed the goats with the remainder of the fruit. What a sight it was, they loved it, there were about 8 in total all clambering down just like Mountain Goats funnily enough! Next was a bucket of fresh water taken over for them, they obviously know the drill as they were all waiting patiently for their feast. Yildiz 3 then arrived, and Captain Adem and his guests were all in the water, next Adem and his youngest son were climbing up the rocks right to the top and diving into the sea, we spent a good hour just watching everyone having fun, Bob and I decided to just swim and not dive obviously!!!

We didn’t arrived back until well after 6pm, and what a fantastic day we had all had.  Said goodbye to Osman and back home it was. We were very tired and not very hungry so decided to just finish off the humous that Bob had made the night before, more garlic oh dear hope we don’t reek of it! It was 9.40pm by the time we left to go into town to meet the Gang, and Marley’s it was to be! Was only planning on having just the one! as had already had 2 very full glasses of chilled wine back at the apartment, but well one thing led to another as you have already ready heard and 3 more glasses later I was dancing the night away!!!

Tuesday ………………….

A fab day of fun in the sun was had! Thank you Lizilu and Automan, our road trip was fabulous.  First stop Patara for a lovely swim, the sea was quite calm for a change and so so warm.  Our next stop, with Automan our Chauffeur was Islamlar and Bodamye Tepe for lunch, it was lovely to see Hassan and there were quite a few tables full, so lovely to see it busy.  We had a lovely lunch, well another feast as I keep hearing myself say this holiday, oh my goodness I dread getting on those scales! A quick stop at the supermarket as we all wanted to pick up a few bits and then onto Kulube Hotel for a drink and a swim.  The hotel has been completely refurbished and is beautiful.  We ordered our drinks and had a lovely swim in their salt water swimming pool. Absolute fab end to a fantastic day with our lovely friends. 

We just literally crashed out when we got in, just about had the energy to shower off the salt water, Bob rustled up a tuna fish salad, and only the one glass of wine for me today! and bed it was at 9.35pm!

Wednesday ……………….

Last boat trip of the holiday, boo hoo! I’ve been told I’m not allowed to mention hometime!!! Sorry Bob, Lizilu and Automan! But Pina X with Captain Abdi and the Gang it is today, I will let my partner in crime report back too on our last few days!!! And no doubt fill you in on the motorbike saga!!!

Shirl
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2016, 11:46:42 AM
Cant bear the thought of not having your reports to look forward to, Jayne....you're still packing in the activities in your last few days, I'd be exhausted.
We love watching Osman taking fresh water over to the goats on Mouse Island - its quite an operation with flippers and fresh water bucket balancing. The top deck is my favourite spot on both Yildiz boats...although the steps are a little tricky to negotiate after a couple of Lals and the cushions are as hot as a hob underfoot, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else on board.
Hope you get the chance to do a couple more reports before you head home :)
Post by: Sezkalkan on August 25, 2016, 02:04:53 PM
Oooh I'm feeling sad for you Jayne I can't believe how quick that's gone  :-\
Post by: Skunk on August 25, 2016, 02:40:07 PM
Great post Shirl. You do pack it all in don't you? The boat trips sound amazing as usual. Got some dates from Osman for 2 of ours. Have you been back to the Asfiya at all? Hope it's still comfortable?
Weather here a bit mixed for the bank holiday so hope it'll be Ok for Jess's stay.
Enjoy yourselves!
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2016, 10:17:42 PM
Oh what are we going to do without your and Lizilu's reports?  :(
I promise I'll try my best in six weeks time but.....who's next?
Enjoy your last few days Shirl and Bob!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 26, 2016, 06:52:03 AM
Thanks ladies for your comments, and Babs will be looking forward to your reports, and you too Skunk!  :D

And here is a summary of the past few days....

Wednesday ………………

Well it really was the last boat trip of the holiday, boo hoo hoo!  :( :( And dare I say it, we saved the best til last! What a fantastic day we had on Pina X, absolutely amazing! Lizilu has reported back so I won’t repeat it, but it was fabulous! I have hinted, repeated myself and down right blatantly said let’s book just one more! But zero response has come back from OH!! But I am guessing 8 boat trips in 5 weeks is enough! Or is it???  ;D ;D

I was determined whatever state of tiredness I was in on my return from our day out, that after a little nap I was Bag Shopping!!! But you’ve probably guessed it, we crashed out on the balcony, wine in hand, a tuna salad and grilled haloumi cheese and we were stuck to those chairs like superglue! But it was a perfect end to a perfect day, absolutely bliss! Well until the morning!

Thursday …………….

I felt like I was awake quite a lot during the night, and when I dragged myself out of bed, the damn mozzies had bitten me to bits! My legs and ankles are the prime target, and a huge one on my back! So itchy, the cream just makes them worse I think! Not happy at all this morning!

Rallied myself round though and before we knew it, Automan and Lizilu collecting us for our 2nd roadtrip of the week!

And what a day we had, I will skim over our day, as only fair to let Lizilu fill you in as they were our fab Tour Guides for the day! Thank you guys.

Start off at the market,(in no time at all, we had bought Turkish delight, spices, fruit and tomatoes and a pair of Ugg slippers) sorted! then followed the mountain route to Kas, a very yummy lunch, coast road back and then 3 hours in a beautiful infinity pool with a twist!

We got back home just before 7pm and after a shower and a rest, it had to be Bag Shopping. We wandered down through town, which was quite busy tonight, so good to see.  Checked out 4 bag shops, but decided after much deliberation to make my purchase in BSG.  It is for my friend and she wanted the large Chanel bag with gold straps and buckle.  Very pleased with my purchase, and we were even offered a glass of wine whilst in there, nice touch I thought!

Next shop, Masso Leather for the Chanel espadrills, 2 pairs purchased in no time at all, and pleased with the price, so I was a happy bunny! Now what next! Thought we wouldn’t be very hungry after our huge lunch, but tummy rumbling, Fener it was.  We ordered dinner, a Burger for me! And chicken wings for Bob all accompanied by chips! Who Cares!!! Efes and another glass of wine and we sat and watched the boats and people swimming on the beach. Another perfect day of fun in the sun!

Almost midnight by the time we got back, so bedtime it was.

Friday ……………

Another day, only 3 days to go now! So have to make the most of them! “Fun Time Friday” as we say at home, so who knows? Still no mention of another boat trip either!    :( :( :( :(                     

I’ll try and do one more post before Monday!

Shirl

Post by: Sezkalkan on August 26, 2016, 09:56:13 AM
I can't believe how much you cram in! You're gonna need a holiday to get over this one  :o
All sounds fab though and is making me so envious. x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 26, 2016, 11:01:18 AM
I've gone and done it we're booked on Yildiz 2 again tomorrow!  ;D
Post by: Babs on August 27, 2016, 09:56:07 PM
 :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 28, 2016, 06:01:50 AM
Friday ………………………

Well fun time Friday it was.  Blog done, and Bob surfaced, done my blog I said, thinking great he will read it, and see I had hinted about another boat trip! I watched him read it, and still no mention of booking one! Bull by the horns I thought, and said come on lets go for it! Oh all right then! Whatever………….. As quick as a flash I was on that phone, called Adem on Yildiz 3, but he was fully booked for tomorrow, private trip he said! Well Yildiz 2 again it was to be, and yeah Osman had space for us.  Shirl was a very happy girl.  :D :D :D

Breakfast time, and as soon as I put the toaster on the electric went off! Oh well never mind.  After breakfast I went quickly into town to change one of the pairs of shoes I had bought the night before as they had a mark on them.  A quick trip there and back took me best part of an hour, and boy was it hot when I got back.  Shower number 2, still no electric, what a pain, oh well we were off out anyway.

Up to Lizzie and Shaun’s we went, a few goodies in our bag, more homemade humous, cheese and crackers for our contribution to lunch and of course some wine and beers! Well it was fun time Friday!  ;D ;D

We had a fab day of fun in the sun with the Gang, Lizzie made a lovely lunch, accompanied by a lovely bottle of pink prosseco for us girls (thanks Lizilu).  More wine after lunch and back to the pool for a siesta, well us girls were in the pool most of the afternoon to be honest.  :D

Before we knew it, time had flown by and it was almost 7pm! So taxi called and back home we went.  Couldn’t believe the electric was still off! Oh dear, but then as we walked into the kitchen we noticed a huge pool of water on the floor, I immediately looked up to the ceiling thinking omg had we a leak, but no the freezer had started to defrost! Bob then realising that everyone else had electric, and it was our electric that had tripped.  Water cleaned up, and trip switch back on, we had light!

We had a a rest, showered and time to go out again! Bob wanting haircut number 3 before we go home, and wanting the white bits to get some sun, so tonight it was.  He went to the shack this time, went straight in, I said I would go and have a wander, so off I went.  First stop Merkez, Billy No Mates again, getting quite used to this, would never sit in a bar at home on my own.  Ordered a nice cold glass of wine, and thought I would sit and people watch! First person I saw was Haybo, as you already know, so she joined me and we sat and had a nice chat about what we had all been doing on our holidays.  She was waiting for her friend, and me still for Bob, he had been ages, her friend turned up after a while, but still no sign of Bob, he must have been in there almost an hour, so I thought I had better go and find him.  He was just leaving as I got there, what a service you get for 25 lira, he was very pleased with his haircut!

Now for our dinner! Was starving by now, we had decided to go to Alternatif again, which was conveniently next to the hairdressers, so not far to go, except a lot of steps to climb up there, but we needed the exercise.  They greeted us warmly, and we sat at the front table overlooking the street, great view.  It was a little girl’s birthday in there tonight, so fireworks it was, literally, huge fireworks going off, but one happy little girl it was! She looked so happy, especially when a huge cake with more sparklers appeared and “Happy Birthday” blared out on the speakers. 

We had a lovely meal, I again ordered the Chicken Hermes, which is chicken cooked in a gorgeous brandy sauce, with a sneaky portion of extra chips. Bob ordered Ottoman chicken with mushrooms, peppers and onions and he said it was delicious too.

We had intended meeting up with the Gang at Moonlight Bar for a nightcap, but they were still down in town by the time we left, so we made our way back home, it was after midnight so fun time Friday had to end.

Saturday ………………

Definitely the last boat trip day. Yildiz 2! We awoke to a few dark clouds, they would clear we thought. Wasn’t looking that good, but by the time we boarded an set off, the clouds were clearing, a nice welcoming breeze on the boat, again we were on the top deck with another couple, and it was just what I had imagined a fantastic last boat trip of the holiday.  I won’t bore you, but everything was perfect, lunch, swim stops, fishing, 3 more fish were caught including a Sea Bass, company etc.  Arrived back in the harbour around 5.45pm, Osman had a moonlight cruise straight after, how they do it I’ll never know.

Our plan tonight was to go home pack our things up, and back down to the harbour later to listen to Aklan at Yakamoz again and meet up with the Gang!  :D

Everything sorted a quick bite to eat finishing up what was left in the fridge, we weren’t that hungry after a beautiful lunch on the boat, but a sausage sandwich it was to be, we still had a few left in the freezer from our arrival! And jolly nice they were too. Oh we know how to live! Showered and off we set.  Shown to our throwns at Yacamoz, ordered our drinks and we were sorted.  Our friends arrived in no time, and there we sat chatting and listening to the music until 12.30am! We couldn’t believe we all have only one more day left of our holiday, but we made plans to well and truly make the most of tomorrow.  We shared a taxi back home, said our goodnights and to bed it was!

Sunday …………

Woke early this morning, but who cares I am so going to enjoy today.  Blog done, fish is on! Don’t ask, we have a nice piece of the Mezget left in the freezer (whiting) so am not wasting it, it’s simmering as I am typing this and will be a nice little treat for the kittens next door! There is a smell of fish wafting out on the balcony which isn’t so pleasant at 8am in the morning!

I will close now, and do my summing up from the UK in a couple of days, but meanwhile we have 24 hours left of fun in the sun.  Our holiday has been wonderful, and we are very sad to be leaving, but reality will kick in I am sure at 4.30pm tomorrow when we land at Heathrow!

Until then ……………………

Shirl

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2016, 07:14:03 AM
I can't  believe it's our last day Shirl  :(

We'll make sure it's a good one  ;)
Post by: Babs on August 28, 2016, 08:10:06 AM
Enjoy every minute!
Post by: joycie on August 28, 2016, 05:59:58 PM
You wouldn't believe where I've been trying to say thankyou for your wonderful posts. A Lithuanian dating site all kinds of reports on Kalkan and finally Shirls page. Thankyou for your wonderful blogs. We go to Kalkan next Monday for three weeks and I can't wait. Packed my plastic glasses for our stopover in Kekova for a drink on our terrace. Think that may sound posher than it is but we're having a stopover in Kekova and apparently you can't buy wine by the bottle there so that will be purchased in Kalkan along with a few Efes etc.
You and Lizzy have really whetted my appetite can't wait.
Safe journey and Thankyou again.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 30, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Oh Joycie that has just made me laugh! You must be so excited as I am sure everyone else is who are the lucky ones now to be going to Kalkan very soon. 

Well, we are home!!

Sunday .................

Sadly Bob had been bitten on his eye and it is quite swollen, but being a man, it will be okay he said, but it wasn't when he woke up, so I gave him one of the tablets the Doctor had given me and some of the gel cream, so we were hoping it would be okay.

It really was a day of fun in the sun, we all decided we would spend the day at the Asfiya Seaview for our last day, and what a day we had.  The guys were very pleased to see us when we all arrived, and waited on us so well during the day.  We all had a lovely lunch, mine being a beautiful chicken caesar salad, and Bob had the shrimp salad.  We thought we would share some chips, well it was our last day! Automan also ordered some, but my goodness there were enough chips to feed an army, so beware if you dine there! only order the one portion, they were fab though! Our day was spent just chilling by the pool, eating and a couple of drinks (although I was on best behaviour, Cola Light for me) as knew that Happy Hour at the Likya Pavilion was imminent!!  :D

We left around 4.30pm said farewell to the boys and we all went back to get ready for our final evening in Paradise!

We met up again early evening for a stroll down the hill for Happy Hour! via Simply Chic and the Pharmacy to check out Bob's eye, as it seemed to be getting worse. The Pharmacist was there and was so helpful, prescribed some antibiotic drops and even adminstered them for him, along with some antihistamine tablets and Bob was sorted.

Just the one bottle Ab Fab team had agreed, but it turned out to be a bottle of wine each, well for me and my partner in crime.   We had such a fun time, laughing all the way!! We left for a very slow walk along the harbour back up to Wapiano for 9pm.  We had already booked the table, and so it all began, fabulous food, a steak for me this time with a pepper sauce, it was absolutely delicious, a little more wine, and then the dancing began.  I really can't honestly remember how it started, again no dance floor to speak of, but we soon sorted out our space, and  we certainly livened things up in there! Imagine you'll hear more about it soon!   ;D ;D ;D

It was well after midnight by the time we staggered up the hill to the taxi rank, our transfer to Dalaman was picking us up at 8am.  We said a very sad farewell to our friends, but we had had an amazing holiday!

Monday ...................

The day of doom had arrived, but wasn't going to feel miserable, 39 days was a long time, so I must not be feeling ungrateful I thought.  I was feeling very fuzzy headed though, but I soon rallied, last minute packing was done, cheese and tomatoe sandwiches for the airport, and at 7.55am the car had arrived.  We arrived at the airport about 9.30am, we were flying via Istanbul again, and the first flight was leaving at 11.25am. Everything went smoothly but the flight was delayed by half an hour so on arrival at Istanbul, by the time we got off the plane, we only had about 45 minutes to get from the domestic airport to the international one, but it all worked, and we boarded on time.  The only thing was that we weren't given seats together as the plane was full to capacity, along with a few other people too, but the ground staff sorted it once on board and we were given seats together thank goodness!

We arrived at Heathrow around 4pm, pleasantly surprised at how warm it was.  Collected the car and in no time at all we were on our way home!

Tuesday ..................

Bob is back to work today, I am fortunate that I'm back on Thursday.  Did the dreaded thing of jumping on the scales and 6 pounds on..... well it could be worse, but I have to say I enjoyed everything I have eaten, so it's worth it I think!

Anyway folks, thank you for all your lovely comments on my 2016 Blog, I will look forward to reading everyone else's now, and if you are fortunate enough to be going to Kalkan now, have a wonderful time, just like we all did.

Over and out now until next year!

Shirl xxx
Post by: Babs on August 30, 2016, 10:34:32 AM
Only 6 pounds over that length of time is seriously impressive! Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us Shirl!
Post by: janeb on August 30, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
Thank you so much, I've enjoyed reading all your wonderful reports. :)
Post by: Christina on August 30, 2016, 11:18:04 AM
Smashing stuff - thanks Jayne! It's been very therapeutic reading your fun-filled posts during my convalescence. I will be back out there as soon as I can walk again, but will definitely see you there next year. We have a lot of making up for lost time to do!!  >:D
Post by: Chris_S on August 30, 2016, 12:24:08 PM
Put weight on in Kalkan?

Unheard of - all those diet chips and healthy Mediterranean diet? ???

I'll bet it was the airline food on the return that did it >:D
Post by: Sallyjane on August 30, 2016, 06:36:32 PM
Been lovely reading all your wonderful reports thanks so much Jayne you certainly have had the best time and packed so much in.  :D
Me and my oh will be there on Friday staying at Emir this time and cannot wait!
Post by: Mrs M! on August 30, 2016, 07:51:37 PM
I've absolutely loved reading your reports - thank you so much! You've given me a wonderful feeling of happy anticipation of our imminent 4th visit to Kalkan to celebrate my 'significant' Birthday :)
Post by: Tyros on August 31, 2016, 12:37:31 AM
Really enjoyed your blogs Jayne, only sorry we were not there to see you and Bob, maybe next year. We are looking forward to being there in three weeks time for a few weeks. Take care and hope to see you next year.
Mr & Mrs Tyros (Graham & Sandra)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 31, 2016, 06:44:53 AM
Thank you for all your lovely comments, and Tyros we are sorry we missed you, we did say when we were out, wondering if you were there, but maybe next year we will be there at the same time and of course you too Christina.  :D :D meanwhile, everyone have a fabulous time and of course looking forward to a blog or two.   :D :D :D

xxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 31, 2016, 05:33:42 PM
Gutted you are home!!!!
Where did that time go? High Five for the mere 6lbs - you'll have that gone in no time with the help of your Fitbit :). I can easily put on a stone in Kalkan - I blame eating full-on meals practically every day rather than cocktails and ice cream (sometimes together..) and I'm not there as long as you've been this time. Hope Bob's eye is getting better now he is away from the dreaded mosquitos...what is wrong with them?
I'm sure you will be back to paradise in double quick time, regaling us with more of your AbFab escapades in the sun - Easter? either way it will be before me..just 282 days to go :'(
Thanks for posting I've absolutely loved your blogs :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 31, 2016, 05:52:09 PM
Thank you K4E for your lovely comments on my blog, so glad you enjoyed it, it was fun writing them, although pretty grim now we are home and the thought of going back to work tomorrow! Yes my fitbit has been in good use since returning home, been on 2 runs so far, and what with only having salad since getting back, am hoping I will be back on track soon!

Bob had to visit the Doctor yesterday, it is in fact a cyst on his eye, and not a mozzie bite, so antibiotics for him, and hoping it will get better soon.  I am however covered in mozzie bites, legs not looking at their best lol!

Not sure when we will be out next, but maybe one day we will all be in Kalkan together and can sample a few of those cocktails!  :D :D :D

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 31, 2016, 05:56:26 PM
I would like to say thank you to Tortoise Lady at Yellow Villa for the amazing Olive Oil and Olives that you gave us, we have just opened the olive oil tonight and it is delicious. It didn't leak in the case, we managed to wrap it in bubble wrap and tea towels!! The olives were delicious too, but were consumed in Kalkan!  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 31, 2016, 07:04:35 PM
Aw Shirl that's a fab post a d bright back such happy memories. Must also thank tortoise lady too as I guzzled more than my fair share of those delicious olives too.
Hope Bob's eye is responding to the treatment. OH's just back from the Dr's armed with heavy duty antibiotics. We just need another holiday now to get over this one  ;D
P.s I'm missing you  :-\
Post by: tortoise lady on September 01, 2016, 07:07:10 PM
I have been following your blog with great interest.   Such energy!   I scarcely left the house this time (wonky knee) but sat enjoying the view from the roof terrace.

It was great to meet you and Bob - hopefully our paths will cross again sometime in Kalkan.   We are very staid I think compared to you and Lizilu.   Both your blogs kept me entertained and looking forward to our next visit to Kalkan in just over a week.  Just wish I had been out and about to see you dancing in restaurants.   

I will be looking forward to your next blog.

Glad the olive oil got home safely.   We brought quite a lot home with us and it survived the journey, very well wrapped up and of course needed to go into the hold luggage.

When we waved goodbye to Kalkan in August it helped knowing we would be going back in September.   Also with our little dog awaiting us in UK - as I am sure any other dog/cat lovers with agree having a loved pet to return to makes homecoming a joy.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2016, 07:46:50 AM
It was lovely to meet you Tortoise Lady and must have been a lovely thought waving goodbye knowing you will be  back this month.  Hope you are a little more mobile now, but the view from your roof terrace is beautiful, so even though you didn't get out much, must have been wonderful sat up there enjoying the view.

Bob and I are thinking we need another holiday already, he still has a bad eye, and I have had a sickness bug for the last 24 hours!

Have a safe journey and maybe a blog or two!

J&B
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal