Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!  (Read 33176 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
Oh no, I see the Turkey Trot has reared it's ugly head  :( :( Sadly I can empathise as I always succumb to this too. I take a PPI tablet on a regular basis (lansoprazole) and recently found out that this can make you more susceptible as it inhibits stomach acid,  thereby reducing your immunity to tummy bugs as the acid helps to kill the bugs. Think I might try to take one every other day on holiday and see if this helps.  ???

Hope both of you are soon back on form and as always I'm loving your reports. Your day with the Antlers' sounded wonderful... :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »
What a sight you two must have been  :D
I can imagine any onlookers would have been smiling to themselves thinking "maybe one too many!'
It doesn't seem possible that you are running out of days. Just hope the leg doesn't slow you down. Then again, at least you have the excuse to just sit back…. and relax!  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
Hope you are back to feeling 100% better today K4E, and again thank you for your latest post, sounds like it has been very eventful! Your evening at The Antlers sounded fab too.  Thank you for the information re the Bati Antalya bus, will check it out, and definitely report on our 3 days in August! Hope OH's strain is on the mend too.  I hope you manage to get to Palm Beach tomorrow too!  :D :D :D

J

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
hope both you and your feet are now in fit form Kalkan4Eva.   I have been enjoying your blog, found posting too difficult on my Kindle whilst in Kalkan but now catching up with things.   I was delighted to see you mention the word "trainers".   To be honest I almost live in trainers when walking round Kalkan.   My ankles feel more secure in them.   Not exactly a good look but comfort is rather a good thing!

I envied you your meal with the Antlers on Sunday.   You all seemed to have had a wonderful evening.

Hope you will enjoy the rest of your time in Kalkan.   Maybe not long now?  Then you start counting up the weeks until the  next visit.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
4 days...3 nights :(
Where has the time gone?
Monday night we had drinks in Moonlight before a fabulous meal in Coriander. Free meze starter, mixed grill for BH, Ottoman Chicken for me, 2 wines, one beer and an ice cream to share 101tl. WOW!! We finished off the night in Lime - catching up with Dimitris - but not before BH's hot legs had done further damage. Not only can this man cook king prawns with his leg heat, we've now discovered he melts paint on restaurant chairs too....third time this holiday. That has to be something for Britain's Got Talent..? No..? But the real talking point of Monday night...I wore heels :o :o A first for me in Kalkan and whilst they were a mere 2 inches they were HEELS! I am happy to take whatever awards you think are fitting for this achievement.
Tuesday we eventually made it to Palm Beach. Nice and early for the boat but the boat man was having his breakfast in Fener...no worries we said, we'll walk. Another first for this holiday was our dog convoy...how I've missed these. Three dogs happily trotted along with us, two fell by the wayside just after the beach, leaving just one sweet girl who darted in and out of the sprinklers like a show dog. Just before the path starts to go uphill, we noticed maybe 4 or 5 tents pitched in the area, with camping equipment piled up alongside them...well I never!
We were first to arrive at Palm Beach...me, BH and our new dog friend. She followed us right down to the decking and promptly parked herself under BH's sunbed. We offered her water throughout the day, but she wasn't interested....I was worried because it was so hot. Anyway, the boys at Palm didn't try to remove her and they also didn't charge us extra :) Two beds, a parasol, tea, 4 large waters, 2 large beers, 2 glasses of Lal, fried cheese salad for me, pizza for BH, plus chips, plus the obligatory Long Island Iced Teas x2 = 195tl and a jolly good day out. We decided to walk back so Petal (as we called her...) could orientate herself. She did just that, running through the greenery - now without tents - and barking with happiness. Such a gorgeous gentle dog, I was sorry to see her go.
Today we joined all 8 antlers, Mr and Mrs Burnley, Burnley Jnr and his girlfriend on Yildiz 3 - for a change. Osman joked with us whilst we waited to set off that he could give us tea and coffee as Adem was too busy to look after his guests....brotherly love!
It was another of those perfect days in Kalkan...including mud bath! We were out at sea for possibly the longest time ever...not getting back to the harbour until well after 6.30 but the day had simply flown by. As Adem squeezed Yildiz 3 into the tiniest space ever between the boats, antler joked with Osman that his trips are only half a day compared to Adems....ahh but this was special said Os. Indeed it was.
Someone mentioned cocktails...it may have been me...and next thing we were sitting in Botanik with 6 antlers, enjoying Long Island Iced Teas, mojitos and a manly strawberry daiquiri for Tom. One led to three before we bade our farewells.
I sooooohhhh don't want to go home  :( :(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:32:15 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 05:38:34 AM »
What a fab time.  I love boat trips, especiallythe evening ones.  Booked onto the Kaya trip in august so hoping that is as good. 

I am saddened by how quick your holiday has gone as we are  going out for 3 weeks too and i thought it might seem like an eternity!

Make the mist of the last few days x

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 06:04:53 AM »
Oh what a fab day at sea by the sounds of it K4E, sorry too your holiday is coming to an end, but you still have a few days left, so have a wonderful time enjoying the rest of them and look forward to hearing all about it.  Your walk to Palm Beach sounded fun, especially with Petal in tow.  :D :D

J

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »
Well you sound as if you are having such an amazing time! Two perfect days, Palm Beach and a boat trip. I wonder where you and 'hot legs' will end up today!  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
What a fab holiday you're having and I'm enjoying reading about it too. In fact I'm more than enjoying it - I'm savouring every little tasty morsel  you chuck our way, conscious that all too soon it will come to an end.  :( >:(

Palm beach sounded so relaxing and your fantastic boat trip has me longing for ours to hurry up and come around.

Did I read the HEELS bit right???  :o You really wore HEELS  ??? :o and you really wore HEELS without a misfortune  ??? :o

Well done you, you definitely deserve an accolade! You need to elaborate on the technique as while I've been conducting heel research from our favourite moonlight seats, the amount of ladies in heels I've seen go over on their ankles down those cobbled streets doesn't bear thinking about.  ;D

Hope these last few days go very slowly for you and hot legs and mind your step if the heels come out to play again.  :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
No no no K4E, don't do this to me !
I have a suitcase ready and packed full of blingy flip flops! At only 5ft 2 I really need all the height I can get but have always headed your advise and gone for flats, but now at the last hurdle you throw in a heel! ??? Well its too late now, despite harping on about travelling light this year I am already up to my weight limit and still have to throw in, or rather squeeze in those last minute bits!

So glad you have had a wonderful holiday. Enjoy the last few days. Hope you don't mind but I may go and try out your sun bed at Palm Beach  ;D 

This time tomorrow we will be there….. I'll look out for old hot legs and you clinging onto him whilst trying to stay vertical in your heels  ;D ;D 

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:50 AM »
Erm.........I think you will find that it's MY sun bed suzyq1!!  ;D ;D ;D But it's ok, I'll let you use it occasionally!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Oh no.....we are at that moment of dread...last full day and night here in Kalkan.
The weather is pretty grotty today, clouds and rain.....yes you read that right...clouds and rain. So we've packed this morning - as far as we can pack - and hoping the weather will improve before the day is out.
I'm losing track of the days. Thursday was a scorching hot day and we chose to visit the market not once but three times. The first was a planned trip to pick up our essentials, spices, green tea, turkish delight, pine nuts etc. All done and dusted, with our tea and biscuit stop at Nur and 10 mins watching Baris from the other Nur trimming some foliage in front of his hotel with a pair of scissors. It appeared to be one of those jobs that when you start, you wish you hadn't as it suddenly becomes a bigger job. Scissors passed on to one of his staff and he reappeared with shears. A big job needs big tools! It was an entertaining tea break.
Back at HanInn, we realised we'd forgotten to pick up a holdall...so back up again, but unsuccessful, we headed into town. With the help of some of our turkish friends we found what we were looking for. Back again to HanInn and now relaxing on the roof terrace, BH mused about the shorts he'd purchased in the market - an impulse buy - should he have bought more..? Before I knew it he was up and had the bag fund in his hand...so naturally I followed. BH and the bag fund and a market full of impulse buys....a recipe for disaster.It was pushing on 4pm and the market was cooler and less crowded and also you are hassled less. Its as if the batteries have run down on the vendors at this time of day....we made a mental note to make it our regular time in future.
Thursday night was drinks in Moonlight, a quick cocktail in Botanik and Dinner at Doy Doy. It is frankly years since we've eaten here and only did so because the lovely greeter from Escudo has moved there. Another fabulous meal...beer and margarita to start, free bread and dips, two Doy Doy steaks, 2 glasses of wine and a pud to share - 220tl. Forgotten how good this place is and we promised not to leave it so long again. I was delighted to see they still give you free bracelets when you leave - a nice touch.
Yesterday was our day on the speedboat.
I was looking forward to this as much as I was dreading it -  small craft out in those choppy seas is not my idea of fun.
Not to be deterred, we set off down to the harbour with an overflowing picnic bag and essentials for the day. Blue Marlin offered us the best deal so we met the boys at the harbourside and I was quite impressed with how modern and clean the boat was. BH got some instructions regarding the coastguard and a map showing the rocky outcrops and we set off. Go to Kaputas in the morning as the wind gets up in the afternoon...ok we said.
A gentle pace around the beach, the beach clubs and then our first stop in a nice secluded inlet so BH could practice his manoeuvres and dropping the anchor whilst I figured out the best seat for topping up my tan. Oh this is going to be a lovely day.... Fast forward 15 minutes as we are battling a strong choppy sea over to Kaputas and I'm no longer picking a seat for sunbathing I'm rigid to the seat I think is giving the boat some balance and instructing BH not to go too fast as the boat just bounces off the waves.
Once at Kaputas, I consider disembarking for the rest of the day.
It will be fine on the way back, says BH. A white lie of huge proportions. Picture George Clooneys boat in the Perfect Storm...enough said. I was soaked through with the spray, whilst BH is having the time of his life. I think, quite literally I was petrified. Strange none of the boat trips had ventured this way today..I pointed out!
Once we reached the relative calm of Kisla and headed over the bay, hugging the coastline to Firnaz, I went back to picking my spot for the sun. Once moored I opened the last of the duty free champagne and our picnic and started to love the boating life.
A trip up to Green Beach and several stops later we came into moor just outside Firnaz for the last time. Right alongside a very empty Yildiz 2. Osman cheering and shouting us and inviting BH on board for an "Efes Juice"....not today thanks Os, I'm driving. Here look I'm on the tea says BH, holding up his flask which brought great peels of laughter from the whole family....hmmm! Ten minutes later, Os is instructing BH to pull alongside him and duly dispatched a plate of fruit, napkins and two forks - our fruit stop takeaway. How kind. BH chatting to Osman  - boat to bigger boat - telling him of our hairy trip to Kaputas, more laughter. He had turned his boat around and all the others had done likewise - it was way too difficult in that weather he said...more laughter when he heard I was crying. The 4 people on Yildiz 2 were told, "these are my old friends and he is now a sailor!"
As the sun started to set...and my champagne ran out...we headed back to Kalkan Beach Park to return the boat...the mornings episode a distant memory and the day bathed in a warm sunny glow - or maybe that was the champagne :-*
It was a very different day for us, after so many years of coming to Kalkan to find a new experience is a rare treat.
Last night, we were out so late, just time for one drink in Moonlight and a late dinner at Moonstone. New for us, and we are so glad we tried it. Free bread and dips to start, 2 beers for BH, a glass of rose, potted chicken casserole for BH and seafood casserole for me, a Moonstone Special to share for dessert (an ice cream cocktail...!) 138TL. Lovely meal and service here -  a hidden gem with an outstanding view. We fancied a couple of liqueur coffees so headed back to Moonlight which was absolutely bouncing - the busiest we've seen it all holiday. Business is good, Muhitidin?...Oh yes, it is good. We must be getting old(er) or maybe we were just tired as it was too loud for us so we headed off home for our own Bailey's night caps.
Still raining hard.....time to catch up on work ahead of my return on Tuesday.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Oh no! I can't believe it rained on your last day!  :-[ that happened to us once but that was in October! And you had to work! I hope things brightened up! Still, hopefully you are coming back to good weather, supposed to be 31 here on Tuesday/Wednesday.......not that that's much fun when you're working? The speed boat trip sounds amazing, if a little hair raising!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful holiday with us back here, who are pining for Kalkan!  :angel:

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
 :) Really enjoyed your reports. Thank you so much.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Have loved your great reports and so sorry your holiday is almost over.  Will miss reading all the things you and Hot Legs have been doing each day, very entertaining and amusing.  Big thanks and safe journey back.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
K4E, thank you so much for your holiday reports, we have enjoyed every word you have written, what a fabulous time you and OH have had.  Hope you are enjoying your last day and that the sun is shining for you.  Safe journey home to you both.   :) :)

J&B
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:10:09 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Oh no!!! Is this  the dreaded day when you return home? What am I going to do with no more k4e blogs. Bereft doesn't do it justice.  :(
I'm eternally grateful to our other bloggers who will keep the home fires burning in Kalkan, but I will honestly really miss your witty and observant comments and thoughts on our lovely Kalkan. I hope the weather has improved for your last day and wish you and Hot Legs a safe journey home.
I will miss Your reports çok çok çok much.  :( :(

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »
I too, will miss your blog Kalkan4eva - but what were you thinking of wearing heels??   I know they look more elegant but I wouldn't dare.   I tend to wear trousers in the evening hoping to disguise the fact that I will still wearing what can only be described as "serviceable shoes".   

One consolation of leaving when it is raining is never seems quite the wrench of leaving all the sunshine behind - and you are coming back to a mini heatwave in UK, or so they tell us.

Have I imagined you are back in September?   If so we will look forward to your next blog.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »
As everyone has said its been great, thanks for sharing! Lots of pressure on the rest of you who are still to visit!  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
Well...its done.
At 7.15pm...precisely the Enes driver came to collect us and we were on our way after three weeks of pure joy. I cannot tell you where the time went, but at the same time as we made our way back to Dalaman, it felt like we'd been there forever. I had begun to think I lived in Kalkan....and before any of the residents decide to point out the obvious, I do know that is a very different prospect. Its just that you get into a routine and suddenly it becomes the norm. My liver, however is grateful we have returned to UK and I really do need to get back on that gluten free wagon before any further damage is done.
So Saturday was a rain soaked day...how unusual for June. Not a shower - full on rain. We had planned to go bag shopping with Oli and Beth whilst the rest of the antlers went on the Kaya BBQ (in the rain...). The rest of Kalkan had the same idea...town was packed and the shops, bars and restaurants were doing a brisk business. I had already bought a Hermes Kelly from BSG sale for our youngest and this was swiftly followed by a Mulberry Willow, and Messenger from Nuri. The fund still had lira - preferred this year to sterling - so a couple of purses and a clutch from the BSG Sale ensured the fund was fully spent. The Longchamps totes dont count as bags...although BH would beg to differ. Chic offers the best value for these at their Market stall on a Thursday, but she will offer the same deal in her shop, just down from Baharat.
Our last night we spent having cocktails with 8 antlers and Mr and Mrs Burnley at Moonlight. The cocktails at Moonlight are greatly improved...finally no frippery and decent glasses. We had booked a table at Paprika - our first visit this year but we had ran out of time - as usual - and rather than return to our favourite we wanted to fit another in. We definitely saved the best till last. An amazing meal with magic by Tariq - this guy is seriously talented and is wasted in a restaurant...I have no idea how he performed his magic - nor how the chef conjured up his brand of magic for less than 180 tl. Chateaubriand followed free meze with puffy bread which in turn was followed by complimentary ice cream, huge fruit plate and liqueurs. With 2 glasses of wine, a Margarita and a beer - this was seriously good value and seriously good food. We couldnt have asked for a better final night and when the chef and his kitchen staff were brought to our table, I had ran out of Turkish superlatives...note to self, learn more!
Our final day, the sun shone and it was a perfect June temperature again...sadly the temperature from our new neighbours at HanInn was distinctly frosty. Each to their own, I suppose but I do think it incrediblely rude not to respond to a " Good Morning". Mr and Mrs Antler turned up to bid final farewells and help us out with provisions we had not managed to consume...they received the same treatment. "Yes they are British and no, I've no idea what their problem is..."

So, final thoughts for June 2015

1. Kalkan was quiet for June. Very quiet. Things appeared to get busier towards the end of our last week but nowhere near the ususal levels. Some bars and restaurants were empty - Asian Gary - one of last year's success stories appeared to be empty most of the times we passed it. I really hope business picks up for this lovely couple - its a different offering and I would be sad to see this go. We also noticed a lot more school-age children from UK - maybe parents are weighing up the cost of any fines versus the cheaper flights for term-time holidays. I did feel a bit sorry for some of these children who had no-one else of a similar age to make friends with.

2. Sunburn when you are a woman in her fifties is all kinds of wrong! I lost three days of sunshine and a Turkish Bath thanks to my own stupidity, Then when I did venture out, I had to slap Factor 50 all over me which is thick and gloopy and makes you look as though you are about to swim the channel not sit out in the sun.

3. If the big boats arent going to Kaputas, dont try and get there in a small boat. Simples

4. I read 7 books and they are listed in order of preference: Sharp Objects and Dark Places both by Gillan Flynn, Elizabeth is Missing, Girl on a Train, So you've been Publicly shamed, The A-Z of You and Me and The Memory Book.

5. There are fewer street dogs in Kalkan. Well done to KAPSA who have done a great job with their policy of education and neutering programmes. The dogs that are there are friendly and if you fear dogs, there is nothing to worry about as they mostly keep themselves to themselves. We did also see a cat chasing two dogs from V&B...the dogs were running for their lives - hilarious.

6. Competition is fierce between the restaurants...especially when it was very quiet....but the greeters are still polite and we didn't feel pressured. The most entertaining greeter was at Utopia, but they closed for a few days and he moved on - we never found out where. We also played Spot Billy, this guy turned up in three restaurants whilst we were there and one day in Yali!

7. The bin men wear girly straw hats....its a thankless task though and one they carry out daily with a cheery wave for the silly couple who walk for fun.

8. You can not beat a Boat Trip for value for money and a way to spend the day in Kalkan. There is a lot of choice and whoever you go with you will have a great day.

9. I'm not a fan of the huge billboards that have sprung up by the Kalamar roundabout and up near the bus station. I'm also not loving the flashing LED signs - there is even one at the harbour for a certain boat.

10. Kalkan is still Kalkan - yes it is changed from the Kalkan we first fell in love with but we still come back, we still have the best time and we never fail to be surprised by the warmth of the greetings and the super human memories of the wonderful people who ply their trade there - some of whom we are proud to call friends. Kalkan is what you make it, it is your own experience of the place which may be different to the next persons. It can be cheap and cheerful or fine dining each night - we do a bit of both. There is still a lot of building work, still a lot of green spaces being turned into villas or worse...the infrastructure is creaking at the seams and the traffic has quadrupled over the past few years. The Belediye have opened new car parks but still people prefer to selfishly leave the cars blocking pavements and forcing pedestrians to walk in the road - the area around the taxi rank is pretty hairy,

11. I wore heels for the first time! I still advocate flats but it felt good to get that extra 2 inches albeit for one night! Despite that huge effort on my part, BH's legs were the talking point of this holiday - one couple stopping him in BSG to ask him how he gets his legs so muscly...? He was also known universally as the brownest man in Kalkan.

12. We'll be back - although probably not this year, more likely 2016. We spoke to first-timers who are planning to come back and long-timers who may not. We are not at that point of wanting to find a new Kalkan, yet.....we still love the original one!

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, looking forward to catching up on all your own adventures over the coming months.....only 357 days to go!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:13:31 AM by kalkan4eva »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Oh Dear, I've Only Gone & Dunnit

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 05:36:45 PM
by MartynE
xx
Dear Members:

Started by Osman on Living In Kalkan

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 01:49:31 PM
by Little Missy
smiley
Oh dear how many pairs!

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal