Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!  (Read 32871 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
« on: June 08, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
I have never been more happy to turn the corner on the D400 and see the twinkling lights of Kalkan....
Its been a tough old year and BH and and I were more than ready for this year's break and I sighed out loud when we rounded the top and saw Kalkan for the first time this year...the Enes driver laughed.."You are home!" Indeed we are.

So today has been our first full day. We unpacked last night when we arrived so we were up with the lark...sort of...we were up with the sound of screaming children from the nursery next door. Only a week until school finishes, I think we can cope :)
All the formalities completed, catching up with our regular neighbours for the next few weeks and off for the Big Shop. This is always Yali as its staggering distance with the bags...topped up with washing powder and fizzy water from A101. Schweppes slimline tonic in tiny cans for 2.50tl...a luxury, but I will give it a go. I was also on a mission to check out staples for Antler and completed the task with relish...love a shopping challenge me :)

No walk today, just some circumnavigating of the pool and started the first of my 7 books.
'"The A-Z of you and me"by James Hannah - it won the Costa first novel prize. so far so good.

Just off out for drinks and food....starting a new tradition tonight as there's no first night Merkez for us....who knows where we may end up..?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12801.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
Yay, i was wondering where you'd got to! Have a fab first night....we don't usually get past Hunkar's!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
Magic - looking forward to your blogs K4E!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »
K4E thank you! looked on EK a few times today, thinking where is she! So glad your safely there, and look forward to reading your holiday posts.  Enjoy your dinner tonight wherever you decide to go!  :) :D

J

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
At last  - thought you both were never going to get there! But so pleased you have! And with almost as many books as last years orange dresses??!

Thanks for completing Stage One of the shopping experience (I did explain that was phase one, didn't I??!)

Well, we must leave you to relax, enjoy yourselves and get geared up for the next blog entry. And don't forget "more is more" on these occasions.

Have fun and keep warm! (We may have a frost here, tonight)

Antler

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
And she's back! Hooray! :laugh:
Have fun, look forward to hearing all about it.....no,pressure!

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
So looking forward to your posts. I remember reading your reports last year with much enjoyment. Have a fab holiday.  :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »
Yippee you're back and all slimline tonic'd up. Thanks for checking it out and I'm extremely happy you can get it albeit at a price.  :)

Now the best bit is going to be checking in to see if you've posted. I know you said you won't do daily updates but any snippet of any faintly or remotely Kalkan related news whips me up into a frenzy when I'm homesick for Kalkan so have a wonderful holiday but please let us sneak in and enjoy it too.

Eagerly awaiting your first "proper" nitty gritty report!  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
So I am breaking with traditions all over the place...2 days, 2 posts. More is more as Antler succinctly put it.
Truth is I'm keeping out of the sun today having been overexposed to it yesterday. :(. It was cloudy with the sun only bursting through in short spells so I didn't go for the usual high factor. Then after a swim, I failed to re-apply. well it was 4 o'clock, approaching cocktail hour and my milky white skin was just loving the rays...too much it appears. So today I'm keeping my six shades of pink skin under cover.
Last night we met with our friends who are on their second week and they were full of tales about the weather being rubbish until today...oh that was a good day.Jeez! What's happened to June? usually wall to wall sunshine... :P I have to say, I was a bit apprehensive heading into Moonlight and I wont lie, I got a tad emotional. Lovely seeing Muhitidin and Guyrol but the place just doesn't feel the same. Mostly new guys working the floor and Siri promoted to DJ...a touching tribute on the wall to Arif who spent practically all his working life in the bar - but for the year he started his own - Muhitidin telling us he was 16 when he started working for them. Man and boy :'( Anyway, we got chatting as you do and then before you know it, its 10pm....so off to the soup kitchen for a spot of spicy lentil and some chilli eggs for BH. I hope this isn't going to be our new traditional first night...!
Finished off at Lime, where we caught up with Dimitris. I'm not sure about this place yet, but it's so close to HanInn it felt rude not to pop in.
Today was the first walk of the holiday - over to Kisla and back. Thought we'd walk down to the harbour and over to Palm Beach along the front so we could take in the building works...Ok so its looking very sad down there. A big half finished empty space with work still going on. We looked up to Salt and Pepper which opened for the season last night, those end tables look a bit dodgy still - the platform looks like its being held up with two planks of wood....one of which looks bent. Love Salt and Pepper but I will be sitting on the other side when we go...Fener looks lost....the wooden hut gone it has no character, and the plastic tables and chairs are not inviting. The beach on the other hand looks very appealing and the cafes doing brisk business. The beds are out and the parasols in place - cushions appear to have been a one season wonder though....
Im not sure why we chose Kisla today, it was a bit arduous for our first one..Its very up hill and down dale! Kalkan Beach Park was completely empty, not a soul to be seen which is really unusual. I'm in two minds about ever staying in Kisla. Its beautifully situated for the sun and the views are stunning - its so peaceful and quiet - all you can hear are the birds singing but it is isolated and walking into the village every night would be a mare. That hill out of Kisla would ensure anything I wore would be stuck to me by the time I arrived in the village - not a pretty sight. Lots of property for sale and more being built. We were shocked to see how fast the property has gone up where Hotel Allegra stood last year - Halit's company responsible for this development. Also, the new builds off the Kisla service road (Korsan and Need) have now reached the edge of town...so it wont be long before that whole areas is also developed...again on so called protected land. It's progress...apparently.
We called in to cancel our planned Turkish Bath until my sunburn subsides...I'm still not Kalkan ready and no-one to blame but myself.
No plans for dinner tonight, the village is quiet and we like to eat late so we'll see where the evening takes us.....why? Because we can :-*

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
I felt a bit emosh reading your report K4E  :'(

Sad for the Moonlight bar, losing 2 lovely boys, very upsetting and I can imagine it not being quite the same. Sad for poor characterless Fener. Sad for the blank canvas of the building site that should be filled with thriving restaurants and finally, sad for you and your sunburn.  :( 8)

But I'm ecstatic that you've gone against tradition and posted twice in two days, thanks for that. You don't do things by half do you? Walking all that way on your first day? I admire your stamina and your calf muscles!

Have a lovely meal tonight, can't wait to find out where you ate and the verdict. Enjoy the rest of your day  :) 8) :)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
As always a great report, hope you held back on the orange dresses this year - I think that was you!
Sad moments too, I feel so sorry for all the team at the Moonlight so tragic.

Loved your updates and looking forward to more. Take care of that sunburn!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
Thank you for posting K4E, 2 in a row! an added bonus this afternoon reading your blog.  :D

We are so sad about the Moonlights boy, although we didn't know them its so tragic.

Very impressed with your first long walk, you are very brave, don't think I could have attempted it in the heat! Reading your account of Kalkan, I feel like I am back there, and to be honest I really can't wait! Have a lovely evening and will look out for your next post maybe tomorrow.........  :D

J

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
Impressive long walk! Wow!
Don't be too sad about Fener, the glass and wicker tables are still there and you can eat and look over the sea. We ate breakfast there a few times and looking in the right direction it was beautiful and as I'm sure I said we found the service really good.
Choose your table wisely at Salt and Pepper......we want more reports!  ;) ;D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:09 AM »
Aaaaah, yes, that's it, K4E - More is definitely MORE!  Thank You!

Maybe you will be like me this year and take a few more days to be Kalkanised?  I am sure you will be in that groove, soon.....

I see the weather forecast gets hotter and hotter for next week?  Luuuuvly!

Thanks for the Supermarket Run!  Now I know where will feed us!

Cheers

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
Did I mention that the town is quiet...?
Well it is very quiet for June. At our favourite people watching spot in Moonlight there are a lot less people to watch - quite odd. But I'm loving having Kalkan to ourselves...there's no queues outside Hunkars and beds a plenty on the beach.
Day 3, post 3....not sure I can keep this up, but it is another day of self-imposed sun exclusion and I've already finished my first book so need to pace myself better. Both the sunburn and the weather have improved but I didnt want to take any chances today. Another tradition knocked sidewards - no Turkish Bath this year. Its day 3 and it had to be today or not at all and because I'm still a little tender, we decided it was a no-go  :'(
Last night we ate at Sofra. Good to see Mehmet almost back to full health. Still a few operations to have but more like his old self. He came over to see us in Moonlight and next thing I know, we'd booked a table. Free starters of Garlic Bread, chilli olives and aubergine dip followed by two steaks. Water, a glass of wine, and two beers  (complimentary iiqueurs and turkish delight) 137TL. Love this place for its wonderful views and good food.
Today we have been a bit easier on ourselves with the walk...up to the new school and across to Kiziltas via the footbridge. I already have Kalkan Calf Pain, so I persuaded BH it wouldnt be a good idea to go up and down the Kiziltas roads....I'm pretty sure the language I used was most persuasive ;D Down across the other bridge and along the D400 to Kelebek and market street - how different this place will look tomorrow, we said!
Bit of a stiff cooling breeze today - in fact it was pretty cool last night on the Sofra Terrace. BH wanted us to take turns with my pashmina....erm, I dont think so..!
3 days, 3 bites a piece. Two of mine are on my ankles which will do nothing for my Kalkankles which have yet to put in an appearance...oh but they will. Any day now.
Tonight we are eating in Asian Gate -  a firm favourite last year and this year, I will not be wearing orange..having colour co-ordinated my holiday wardrobe more carefully this year. Thanks for the reminders guys.... :-*
I feel it....I have my Kalkan Swag on now...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:35:26 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Hooey for the Kalkan Swag! Don't worry the kankles won't be too far behind! And as for calf pain......both my daughter and I were getting a bit worried.....!  :D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
Now you're spoiling us, K4E! Thank you!! So many breaks in tradition - it must feel so different? Aaaaah, Sofra.... Now that brings back memories of our last night the last time we were there; Aug '13. We all loved it, and agree with you about the food and the view.
It's OK to keep spoiling us  - and don't worry too much about those ankles!
Computer says next week may be hot, hot, HOT!
Enjoy your Thursday!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
K4E thank you yet again, was thinking will there be post 3 today! and so glad there is and so glad your having a fabulous time.  We haven't been to Sofra yet! but maybe will be on our list this year. Continue to enjoy your holiday, and look forward to post number 4! sorry no pressure  :D

J

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
Yet another great post. I'm very impressed with all the walking. Pool, bar, restaurant, bar, home is my limit. Okay I'm not quite that bad but almost.

Sofra was the very first restaurant we tried. Like you we were sitting in the Moonlight Bar and asked where we should eat, they recommended Sofra, ran up booked a table for us and we were away. The love affair with Kalkan and it's people started then.

Enjoy tomorrow be careful with that sunburn.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
i"m loving your reports K4E. Not sure how you manage those hills in that heat. That's pretty impressive. We are hoping to explore a bit more on foot this year but it will need to be early morning I think.
I'm waiting to hear about your  visit to Palm Beach Club as I know its one of your favourites.  Have yet to suss out the best beds, seems to be a trade secret between you and Babs  ???
 Please don't break with this  new tradition of posting every day.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dear Members:

Started by Osman on Living In Kalkan

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 01:49:31 PM
by Little Missy
smiley
Oh dear how many pairs!

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Oh Dear, I've Only Gone & Dunnit

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 05:36:45 PM
by MartynE
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sipan

Views: 3584
By: blondie
Bob's Chef Kisla