Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!  (Read 33147 times)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Wow K4E, just catching up on your holiday reports. Thank goodness you are both ok. The fire really was a drama you could have done without. Your trip on Yildiz was perfect timing as I can't think of a better way to spend a day and forget about the rest of the world.

Glad to see its hotting up for me :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
Some like it HOT, K4E!!   Let's see what the weekend brings.......I can't believe I saw a forecast for rain there on Saturday (think the iPhone is picking up the other Kalkan in Turkey?)

Yes, you need more time out on boats!!

Have you found that Pork Shop? If so, what's it like?

Sounds like you are getting really fit on them hills?! 

Hope you are heading for completion of all 7 books, too. - and the paradise thought of 2 weeks left. Bliss!

Cheers.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »
Yes you are lucky K4E  :) My boss won't let me have 3 weeks but by convincing him we just had to fly out on a Thursday  :P and tagging the Bank Holiday on, we've managed to settle for 18/19 days and I can't wait!

You are mobilizing well up those relentless hills, definitely worth it for the cocktail rewards that follow.  ;)

The festival sounded like fun, I don't think we've ever been lucky enough to experience anything similar while we've been in Kalkan.

Can't wait to hear where your surprise restaurant was.   :) :)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:48:42 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:06 AM »
Now then, K4E, this is more of a Drinks Challenge perhaps, than a Shopping Challenge? The Girls are asking "can we get fizz in Kalkan" and I remember an early poster saying they had found some? Have you come across it and what's it like?! And does this cost a fortune?

Otherwise, Mrs A will be fizzing up her glass of red herself!

Only one day at the office left, now - you know how good that feels?

Cheers

Antler

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
Here's one for those keeping up with Kalkan Weather:

There's now a PWS (Personal Weather Station) in Kalkan.

This means that while it's online (!?) you can get the current conditions and a forecast.

Try looking at:

http://tinyurl.com/nketsgs

And as it's a website, it should even work with the 8% of you that use iPhones  >:D

The site is on Yildiz Sokak in Kalamar, so a lot nearer than Kaş.

And, currently, Thunderstorms are forecast for Friday.  But then it's a forecast, and I forecast I shall win the lottery tonight.....
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
Oh goodness me we are at the halfway point of our holiday......aaaarrrrggghhh! Already doing that not enough days left to do all we want thing.
On Monday evening our "surprise" dinner was at Seaport.....which was actually no surprise at all as our friends have eaten there more times during this holiday than any other restaurant. They didn't want to tell us in case we decided to skip dinner with them in favour of somewhere else. Nothing wrong with Seaport but we do like to try and squeeze in as many different places as possible - with the exception of the Soup Kitchen which is my emergency dinner venue when dinner is too late :-[
Once again Seaport was delicious. I opted for Stuffed Fish and BH had the fillet steak with Gorgonzola. Free meze starter with puffy bread, a lot of Rose, a lot of red wine, raspberry cheesecake for BH and complimentary liqueurs 190tl Fabulous!!
We dodged the after dinner drinks as we were on the 7.40am Bati Antalya to Fethiye but promised to be back in time for their final drinks departure at 6pm.
I do love getting the bus to Fethiye - it's quite an experience and a lesson in how many bodies you can squash onto a bus at the same time. People are charged different prices, young girls aren't charged at all, some people hop on and off and don't pay and even when the driver says they are full some people still manage to squeeze on. It's free water and free entertainment and so many different cultures even amongst the Turkish. I also love the fact that the bus enters and exits Kalkan via the old road Akbel and Yesilkoy.....coming home I love the part where you wind along the roads and see the Kalkan sign then suddenly the blue sea....happy memories of our early trips.
Fethiye Market is a beast of a market and is so much bigger and better than Kalkan, especially the produce section which stretches for miles.....how do they all make a living? We were on a mission to find shoes, underpants, T-shirts, proper pashminas and of course an obligatory glance at the bags - not all from the market. We had a lovely walk along the front to the old town, stopping at Meydan for menemen and chai - see I can do Turkish :P
We quite like Fethiye for a day, possibly even an overnight trip, but I could not stay here any length of time...even if a large beer is only 8tl on the front  :o
We made our way to the Fish Market for lunch, shopping completed. The largest tiger prawns from Ceten and a table in Citir beckoned. 70tl for a kilo of the freshest prawns and 6tl each for the garlic bread, salad and to cook them in Citir. The entertainment from Baris, the cockney Turkish frontman came for free...he kept us amused as we somehow managed to get through not one but two bottles of a very nice Sauvignon Blanc. Sadly, a combination of heat and walking saw an unwelcome return of Kalkankles...albeit in Fethiye. No worries says Baris, cool your feet off in the public water fountain - the sebil. I didn't need telling twice but my feet really did resemble the effect you get when you blow into a new rubber glove.
BH did not buy extra prawns to take back with us on account of them part cooking against his leg on the bus journey back last year...and that was through the bag!!! When he's hot....he's boilng hot  ;D
We were too tired to eat out last night so ate in...some chicken cooked simply with salad and takeaway chips from Passaport...flight socks on and feet raised. So glamorous, me!
No walk today as we are letting the magic feet pills do their thing. We walked into the village and did some bag perusal which means a tea and cake stop at Cafe Leon.....second fall from Coeliac grace. :-X
We booked our table in Gourmet and headed back to the roof terrace, via that other Gourmet place - Gourmet Pork. BH bought some ham for 8tl and said we should think about leaving our Tesco bacon at home next year.

So, Antler, the fizz that as mentioned on here was called Bianca. I have been looking out for it in the supermarkets to no avail and I asked for it in Mini Bar but what I got was more like Lambrini...! We got 2 bottles of Laurent Perrier in Manchester for £45 plus they had prosecco but I thought the champagne was a better deal. Also when you land at Dalaman the champagne and prosecco there seemed quite reasonable....I'd stock up!!
However, if we find it between now and then, I'll let you know...all the fizz is expensive here...who knows why?
I certainly hope there aren't thunderstorms on Friday, Chris_S, we've hired a motorboat for the day :'(
Aaah well, back to the sunshine...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:13:30 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »
What are you like, K4E?! Feet like blown up rubber gloves had me in stitches!  And half cooked king prawns from your boiling hot husband's legs finished me off!!

Thanks for the update re the fizz, even if it is not good news yet.....Maybe Mrs A will have to settle for a tumbler of Red and a squirt of soda....

Have been allocated a beach towel from the airing cupboard. Evidently it is brand new - just another purchase I didn't know I had, so no need for TK Maxx anymore. Shame, as I might miss a bargain of something I don't need.

See you soon....only 2 non-sleeps left.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
Well I just think K4E is showing off.....telling us all the she has a really hot husband!!  :laugh: :laugh:
Hope the kankles improve.......your description of a blown up rubber glove is perfect! I suffered the return of the blown up ankles this year........and realised that they take a while to get back to normal even once I'm home........sadly I'm back to being skinny ankled now!  :'(

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
Oh no, I hope the blown up ankles, or "clubbiness" as my friends and I call them aren't spreading this year? Thanks to you K4E and the recommendation of the magic feet pills I have escaped them the last two years.
With me its definitely too  much alcohol  as I have suffered this weekend and it certainly wasn't hot here! I put it down to the  3 days and 4 nights of too much alcohol  at the IOW festival ! Great fun and good  training for my holiday  but boy am I suffering now? Getting too old for all this >:D
Hope the weather holds out and you have a great day on the boat on Friday.
Have you been to Palm Beach Club yet? don't think I missed a report?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:20:40 PM by suzyq1 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
Halfway already!! Your holiday is going far too quickly for my liking  :(

Hope the weather is good and the sea calm today for your motorboat adventure.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
So the days are now running away with themselves...no! Double No!
On Wednesday night we booked our favourite table in Gourmet - top terrace jutting out on its own towards Gironda. Top views of the town and a bit more private. I had a bellini to start and BH had a beer....free sushi as always followed by Absolut steak for me and Balsamic steak for BH. Two glasses of wine, water and two puds - 250TL and the best meal of our holiday so far. Gourmet never fails to deliver for me, but it was busy - probably the busiest restaurant we've been in this trip and service appeared to be a little less attentive than usual......we didn't care we had all the time in the world.
Yesterday was Market Day so a quick sprint up there to collect some provisions and pick up our watch and straight back down to the town beach. Still not made it over to Palm Beach yet, suzyq1, but are planning to go on Monday. The town beach was fairly quiet so had our pick of the beds. A couple of things...the beach was not clean and tidy - lots of litter and beds strewn all over the place. We spent a good 10 minutes collecting the litter in and around the beds we'd chosen - cushionless it has to be said :( and another 5 minutes to swap those beds for ones that weren't broken. Nonetheless, once settled it was the perfect place to be with the temperatures surpassing 90 degrees. The water was crystal clear, cold and inviting...but the new crocs were not up to the task of getting in and out of the water with a modicum of grace. Style over sense....once again! Had the beach been more populated, I may well have been the days entertainment ::) The man who has collected our money for the beds and parasol for more years than I care to remember has been shunted off to Kas to read water meters and in his place, two officious young men who will get the hang of it.....eventually....I hope. Love the beach, despite its faults. Our cool bag full of goodies and now a cafe that sells Efes....praise the Lord! We stayed until late...even at 7pm the sun was still scorching our skin. We walked back via Fener's ice cream and my third wagon fall in terms of gluten....duly noted by the Coeliac Police (BH) and shrugged off by the defendant (me). Cardiac Hill needs a Fener ice cream as mere distraction therapy...they should be giving them away for free...well at 5tl, they practically are. As we walked up the hill.....me taking in the wheat lecture, the clouds appeared from nowhere, enveloping the hillside and dropping onto Kalkan. Thick black clouds that had rain stamped all over them...
Thunderstorms and rain had been predicted, but no-one wanted to believe it. We decided to postpone our motorboat for the following day...no problem said Blue Marlin. Nothings ever a problem here is it? I didnt fancy being out at sea on a small craft with the threat of thunder, BH has a real appetite for danger (see earlier post about the fire) and I am a bit of a wimp so not a good mix on an expanse of water during a storm having already been there with him once before.
Last night we ate at Marina - excellent value for money considering its location and another good meal - we've yet to have a bad one! I wowed the boys with my boxing moves - but thats another story ;)
We awoke this morning to clear blue skies and sunshine.....oh, that's not what we were expecting! By midday the dark clouds had descended and we felt spots of rain so time to head off for a spot of lunch and some shopping. Picked up some gifts and more bag shopping groundwork....which resulted in a BSG purchase from their fantastic sale.
Later on the sun came back out so we sat on our roof terrace until well after 7pm, drinking vodka and telling each other how lucky we are to have found Kalkan.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »
How lucky we are, indeed, K4E. How can you write such lovely stuff at 11.30pm??!  That steak sounds lovely and Mrs A is just reminding me that we have tried it!  Better have a refresher and try it again...

See you shortly....

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
All I can say is.......sale at BSG in June?? How does that happen?
Hope the speed boat day is wonderful when it arrives.
I can't believe you haven't been to Palm beach yet, but I see you went to cafe del mar a real favourite of ours.....I wonder if you sat in 'our' seats? :laugh:

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
Think I need to invest in some new beach towels to use down at the beach. I was hoping to get away with just bringing the light weight Turkish ones ( save more weight for all the clothes that I never end up wearing!) but with no cushions this year I think  I need to reconsider.

Looking forward to hearing about the boat trip when you rebook as have considered that before. Do you still need a certificate as I know they clamped down on the rules for hiring them out?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Yes, suzyq1, you need a boat licence. BH has just got his so is raring to take to the seas....with me as his reluctant passenger :o

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
What a lovely start to my Sunday, catching up on your posts K4E, your holiday just gets better and better, what a fab time you and OH are having. Hope that your ankles are better now too.  BSG bag sale sounds fab, hope they have some left when we go!!! Re the Bati Antalya to Fethiye bus, do you need to book or just turn up at the bus station, and do you know how often they go and what is the last one back? Sorry for all the questions! We have planned a 2 night trip to Fethiye in August, and are going to take the bus there too. 

Happy Sunday, and look forward to your next post.

Jx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »
Oh crikey, i'm losing all track of time....but I know from the noise coming out of the nursery from hell...it must be Monday. A private nursery so sadly its open all year round for children who are screaming banshees in training...
So Saturday we decided to chill.....oh that would be like every other day then...but not before our walk. These have somehow fell off the agenda but no amount of lapping the pool at HanInn can make up for the proper exercise of a walk and I am in negative equity in terms of calories consumed against expended.
We had spied the new path through the hill between Kalkan and Kalamar when walking on the new road last week and thought we'd give it a go...if we could find it. Eventually we did...down to the Regency where the road used to end, but now a path runs in front of Korsan Suites and up over the hill. Ooooh a new road in Kalkan for us to try, for fun...
It wasnt much fun but the views were amazing - even half way up. a new view for my collection - seeing how i have 10 million of each of the others, according to BH. As I snapped away, he thought he might stretch his legs a bit and started to jog up the final ascent. Why? I've no idea and neither did he when 2 minutes later he felt his calf muscle strain, a serious strain...! I left him rueing his snap decision because I want to see if you could see Kalamar in an equally new light from the other side - I'm cruel like that. The path stopped and only rocks remained ahead, albeit walkable in my trainers, but they were back at our gaff. I have also developed an irrational fear of snakes lurking in undergrowth just waiting to pounce on stupid fools like me so even if I had chosen the right footwear, I still wouldn't have ventured forth. Defeated, I descended and made all the right sympathetic noises to BH as we made our way back at a snails pace. Leg up, ice pack on and fastgel from our best friend the chemist.
We hobbled down to Moonlight where BH was cheered up watching the cricket...no vodka tonight then Muhitidin asked BH? The previous evening he had decided vodka was his new drink...well in fact it started with cocktails in Botanik and went downhill from there..no, no vodka thanks. I'll stick to beer was the sheepish reply...and no the injury was nothing to do with the consumption of said vodka.
I had noticed a week or so ago that the famous bollards now stop at Utopia...they are no longer a feature in Moonlight. "What happened to the bollards, Muhitdin...?" Oh they just disappeared one night was his cheeky reply.
Onto Mussakka for dinner...again at glacial pace...and oh no, my sandal snapped. My favourite pair that have been fixed more times than I care to remember..the thong once again detached from the sole. BH and I looked as though we were auditioning for Monty Pythons Ministry of Silly Walks on the short distance from Moonlight to Mussakka.
We had an excellent meal here - a beer, a margarita, free bread (for BH) and small meze followed by plum steak for BH and summer steak for me, two liqueur coffees and complimentary peach schnappes 240tl and just shading it as our favourite meal so far.
The walk back to HanInn was pure comedy and I dont know if we couldn't move more because our impediments or our laughter.
I wasnt laughing later as I started to feel very queasy around midnight, then my love affair with the toilet started about an hour later and only stopped at first light....cant help feeling it was karma for not being more sympathetic of BH but he reckoned it was the menemen I made for myself late on yesterday as I chose not to wash the veg.
I thought we wouldnt make it to our day with the antlers...but there's no way I was missing that. I stuck religiously to water and ate nothing like as much as I wanted to eat of his delicious lunch. BH made up for my reticence.
It was a real treat to watch Kazim create his magic with his lovely assistant alongside...the Paul Daniels and Debbie Magee of the culinary world. With the cooking underway we nipped back to freshen up only to return to cocktails on the terrace at Yellow Villa. Trust antler to find a drinkable fizz....well very drinkable with the chambord he brought from home. It was the start of a truly lovely evening of wonderful food and great company...and a lot of drink!! Cointreau is now BH's favourite new drink.
No Palm Beach today as we needed to run some errands....its Palm Beach tomorrow or not at all....yikes!
Aah well the roof terrace awaits...

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
Wish I could have seen those silly walks, K4E!!! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »
Oh, Jayne forgot to say....the bus is 13tl each one way. We've never booked from Kalkan but do book our return trip when we arrive in Fethiye. They are weird times so for example to first bus from Kalkan leaves at 7.40 but the next one isnt until 10am. Coming back its 15.30 or the next one is 16.45.
I think they are more frequent in high season but there's a website and you can ask for it to read in English
http://www.batiantalyatur.com.tr
We would like to do an overnight in Fethiye next year so would be interested to read about your experience

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
 :) Lovely report, hope the leg is on the mend, it's wonderful how alcohol somehow dulls the pain! Will you need to go shoe shopping now? Happy days!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Oh Dear, I've Only Gone & Dunnit

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 05:36:45 PM
by MartynE
xx
Dear Members:

Started by Osman on Living In Kalkan

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 01:49:31 PM
by Little Missy
smiley
Oh dear how many pairs!

Started by joycie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Aubergines Kalkan

Views: 3822
By: zros
Meis