Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: kalkan4eva on June 08, 2015, 05:37:40 PM

Title: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 08, 2015, 05:37:40 PM
I have never been more happy to turn the corner on the D400 and see the twinkling lights of Kalkan....
Its been a tough old year and BH and and I were more than ready for this year's break and I sighed out loud when we rounded the top and saw Kalkan for the first time this year...the Enes driver laughed.."You are home!" Indeed we are.

So today has been our first full day. We unpacked last night when we arrived so we were up with the lark...sort of...we were up with the sound of screaming children from the nursery next door. Only a week until school finishes, I think we can cope :)
All the formalities completed, catching up with our regular neighbours for the next few weeks and off for the Big Shop. This is always Yali as its staggering distance with the bags...topped up with washing powder and fizzy water from A101. Schweppes slimline tonic in tiny cans for 2.50tl...a luxury, but I will give it a go. I was also on a mission to check out staples for Antler and completed the task with relish...love a shopping challenge me :)

No walk today, just some circumnavigating of the pool and started the first of my 7 books.
'"The A-Z of you and me"by James Hannah - it won the Costa first novel prize. so far so good.

Just off out for drinks and food....starting a new tradition tonight as there's no first night Merkez for us....who knows where we may end up..?
Title: Re: Calm down, dear....its only Kalkan!
Post by: Haybo on June 08, 2015, 05:44:37 PM
Yay, i was wondering where you'd got to! Have a fab first night....we don't usually get past Hunkar's!
Post by: Rachey on June 08, 2015, 05:54:41 PM
Magic - looking forward to your blogs K4E!!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 08, 2015, 06:10:12 PM
K4E thank you! looked on EK a few times today, thinking where is she! So glad your safely there, and look forward to reading your holiday posts.  Enjoy your dinner tonight wherever you decide to go!  :) :D

J
Post by: antler on June 08, 2015, 07:05:01 PM
At last  - thought you both were never going to get there! But so pleased you have! And with almost as many books as last years orange dresses??!

Thanks for completing Stage One of the shopping experience (I did explain that was phase one, didn't I??!)

Well, we must leave you to relax, enjoy yourselves and get geared up for the next blog entry. And don't forget "more is more" on these occasions.

Have fun and keep warm! (We may have a frost here, tonight)

Antler
Post by: Babs on June 08, 2015, 08:04:24 PM
And she's back! Hooray! :laugh:
Have fun, look forward to hearing all about it.....no,pressure!
Post by: janeb on June 08, 2015, 08:37:09 PM
So looking forward to your posts. I remember reading your reports last year with much enjoyment. Have a fab holiday.  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 08, 2015, 08:57:10 PM
Yippee you're back and all slimline tonic'd up. Thanks for checking it out and I'm extremely happy you can get it albeit at a price.  :)

Now the best bit is going to be checking in to see if you've posted. I know you said you won't do daily updates but any snippet of any faintly or remotely Kalkan related news whips me up into a frenzy when I'm homesick for Kalkan so have a wonderful holiday but please let us sneak in and enjoy it too.

Eagerly awaiting your first "proper" nitty gritty report!  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 09, 2015, 12:25:07 PM
So I am breaking with traditions all over the place...2 days, 2 posts. More is more as Antler succinctly put it.
Truth is I'm keeping out of the sun today having been overexposed to it yesterday. :(. It was cloudy with the sun only bursting through in short spells so I didn't go for the usual high factor. Then after a swim, I failed to re-apply. well it was 4 o'clock, approaching cocktail hour and my milky white skin was just loving the rays...too much it appears. So today I'm keeping my six shades of pink skin under cover.
Last night we met with our friends who are on their second week and they were full of tales about the weather being rubbish until today...oh that was a good day.Jeez! What's happened to June? usually wall to wall sunshine... :P I have to say, I was a bit apprehensive heading into Moonlight and I wont lie, I got a tad emotional. Lovely seeing Muhitidin and Guyrol but the place just doesn't feel the same. Mostly new guys working the floor and Siri promoted to DJ...a touching tribute on the wall to Arif who spent practically all his working life in the bar - but for the year he started his own - Muhitidin telling us he was 16 when he started working for them. Man and boy :'( Anyway, we got chatting as you do and then before you know it, its 10pm....so off to the soup kitchen for a spot of spicy lentil and some chilli eggs for BH. I hope this isn't going to be our new traditional first night...!
Finished off at Lime, where we caught up with Dimitris. I'm not sure about this place yet, but it's so close to HanInn it felt rude not to pop in.
Today was the first walk of the holiday - over to Kisla and back. Thought we'd walk down to the harbour and over to Palm Beach along the front so we could take in the building works...Ok so its looking very sad down there. A big half finished empty space with work still going on. We looked up to Salt and Pepper which opened for the season last night, those end tables look a bit dodgy still - the platform looks like its being held up with two planks of wood....one of which looks bent. Love Salt and Pepper but I will be sitting on the other side when we go...Fener looks lost....the wooden hut gone it has no character, and the plastic tables and chairs are not inviting. The beach on the other hand looks very appealing and the cafes doing brisk business. The beds are out and the parasols in place - cushions appear to have been a one season wonder though....
Im not sure why we chose Kisla today, it was a bit arduous for our first one..Its very up hill and down dale! Kalkan Beach Park was completely empty, not a soul to be seen which is really unusual. I'm in two minds about ever staying in Kisla. Its beautifully situated for the sun and the views are stunning - its so peaceful and quiet - all you can hear are the birds singing but it is isolated and walking into the village every night would be a mare. That hill out of Kisla would ensure anything I wore would be stuck to me by the time I arrived in the village - not a pretty sight. Lots of property for sale and more being built. We were shocked to see how fast the property has gone up where Hotel Allegra stood last year - Halit's company responsible for this development. Also, the new builds off the Kisla service road (Korsan and Need) have now reached the edge of town...so it wont be long before that whole areas is also developed...again on so called protected land. It's progress...apparently.
We called in to cancel our planned Turkish Bath until my sunburn subsides...I'm still not Kalkan ready and no-one to blame but myself.
No plans for dinner tonight, the village is quiet and we like to eat late so we'll see where the evening takes us.....why? Because we can :-*
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 09, 2015, 01:54:37 PM
I felt a bit emosh reading your report K4E  :'(

Sad for the Moonlight bar, losing 2 lovely boys, very upsetting and I can imagine it not being quite the same. Sad for poor characterless Fener. Sad for the blank canvas of the building site that should be filled with thriving restaurants and finally, sad for you and your sunburn.  :( 8)

But I'm ecstatic that you've gone against tradition and posted twice in two days, thanks for that. You don't do things by half do you? Walking all that way on your first day? I admire your stamina and your calf muscles!

Have a lovely meal tonight, can't wait to find out where you ate and the verdict. Enjoy the rest of your day  :) 8) :)
Post by: janeb on June 09, 2015, 05:09:41 PM
As always a great report, hope you held back on the orange dresses this year - I think that was you!
Sad moments too, I feel so sorry for all the team at the Moonlight so tragic.

Loved your updates and looking forward to more. Take care of that sunburn!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 09, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
Thank you for posting K4E, 2 in a row! an added bonus this afternoon reading your blog.  :D

We are so sad about the Moonlights boy, although we didn't know them its so tragic.

Very impressed with your first long walk, you are very brave, don't think I could have attempted it in the heat! Reading your account of Kalkan, I feel like I am back there, and to be honest I really can't wait! Have a lovely evening and will look out for your next post maybe tomorrow.........  :D

J

Post by: Babs on June 09, 2015, 07:55:48 PM
Impressive long walk! Wow!
Don't be too sad about Fener, the glass and wicker tables are still there and you can eat and look over the sea. We ate breakfast there a few times and looking in the right direction it was beautiful and as I'm sure I said we found the service really good.
Choose your table wisely at Salt and Pepper......we want more reports!  ;) ;D
Post by: antler on June 10, 2015, 12:53:09 AM
Aaaaah, yes, that's it, K4E - More is definitely MORE!  Thank You!

Maybe you will be like me this year and take a few more days to be Kalkanised?  I am sure you will be in that groove, soon.....

I see the weather forecast gets hotter and hotter for next week?  Luuuuvly!

Thanks for the Supermarket Run!  Now I know where will feed us!

Cheers

Post by: kalkan4eva on June 10, 2015, 02:33:07 PM
Did I mention that the town is quiet...?
Well it is very quiet for June. At our favourite people watching spot in Moonlight there are a lot less people to watch - quite odd. But I'm loving having Kalkan to ourselves...there's no queues outside Hunkars and beds a plenty on the beach.
Day 3, post 3....not sure I can keep this up, but it is another day of self-imposed sun exclusion and I've already finished my first book so need to pace myself better. Both the sunburn and the weather have improved but I didnt want to take any chances today. Another tradition knocked sidewards - no Turkish Bath this year. Its day 3 and it had to be today or not at all and because I'm still a little tender, we decided it was a no-go  :'(
Last night we ate at Sofra. Good to see Mehmet almost back to full health. Still a few operations to have but more like his old self. He came over to see us in Moonlight and next thing I know, we'd booked a table. Free starters of Garlic Bread, chilli olives and aubergine dip followed by two steaks. Water, a glass of wine, and two beers  (complimentary iiqueurs and turkish delight) 137TL. Love this place for its wonderful views and good food.
Today we have been a bit easier on ourselves with the walk...up to the new school and across to Kiziltas via the footbridge. I already have Kalkan Calf Pain, so I persuaded BH it wouldnt be a good idea to go up and down the Kiziltas roads....I'm pretty sure the language I used was most persuasive ;D Down across the other bridge and along the D400 to Kelebek and market street - how different this place will look tomorrow, we said!
Bit of a stiff cooling breeze today - in fact it was pretty cool last night on the Sofra Terrace. BH wanted us to take turns with my pashmina....erm, I dont think so..!
3 days, 3 bites a piece. Two of mine are on my ankles which will do nothing for my Kalkankles which have yet to put in an appearance...oh but they will. Any day now.
Tonight we are eating in Asian Gate -  a firm favourite last year and this year, I will not be wearing orange..having colour co-ordinated my holiday wardrobe more carefully this year. Thanks for the reminders guys.... :-*
I feel it....I have my Kalkan Swag on now...
Post by: Babs on June 10, 2015, 06:02:36 PM
Hooey for the Kalkan Swag! Don't worry the kankles won't be too far behind! And as for calf pain......both my daughter and I were getting a bit worried.....!  :D
Post by: antler on June 10, 2015, 07:09:34 PM
Now you're spoiling us, K4E! Thank you!! So many breaks in tradition - it must feel so different? Aaaaah, Sofra.... Now that brings back memories of our last night the last time we were there; Aug '13. We all loved it, and agree with you about the food and the view.
It's OK to keep spoiling us  - and don't worry too much about those ankles!
Computer says next week may be hot, hot, HOT!
Enjoy your Thursday!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 10, 2015, 07:56:34 PM
K4E thank you yet again, was thinking will there be post 3 today! and so glad there is and so glad your having a fabulous time.  We haven't been to Sofra yet! but maybe will be on our list this year. Continue to enjoy your holiday, and look forward to post number 4! sorry no pressure  :D

J
Post by: janeb on June 10, 2015, 08:41:36 PM
Yet another great post. I'm very impressed with all the walking. Pool, bar, restaurant, bar, home is my limit. Okay I'm not quite that bad but almost.

Sofra was the very first restaurant we tried. Like you we were sitting in the Moonlight Bar and asked where we should eat, they recommended Sofra, ran up booked a table for us and we were away. The love affair with Kalkan and it's people started then.

Enjoy tomorrow be careful with that sunburn.
Post by: suzyq1 on June 10, 2015, 09:35:26 PM
i"m loving your reports K4E. Not sure how you manage those hills in that heat. That's pretty impressive. We are hoping to explore a bit more on foot this year but it will need to be early morning I think.
I'm waiting to hear about your  visit to Palm Beach Club as I know its one of your favourites.  Have yet to suss out the best beds, seems to be a trade secret between you and Babs  ???
 Please don't break with this  new tradition of posting every day.  :)

Post by: Lizilu20 on June 10, 2015, 10:29:50 PM
What a lovely treat 3 posts in 3 days. Fab!!! Your meal sounded lovely too at sofra. Really must try it there. We intend to every year but somehow never make it.
Enjoy Asian Gate - the thought of their butter chicken is making my mouth water!  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2015, 04:58:10 PM
Today has been the perfect June day....sunshine, wispy clouds, pleasantly warm with a gentle breeze. Just perfect.
Another day, another post...I'll probably stop once Antler gets here :)
Last night we had pre-dinner drinks in both Moonlight and Seaport. Moonlight by accident really as I'd popped in to see Nuri so BH took a pew and our usual order was dispatched pronto. I was followed into the shop, not for the first time, by Guyrol who insisted on me modelling the bags and looking in the mirror. I had to show him how to hold a bag as he insisted on trying to get them on my shoulder. He put a great deal of effort into choosing colours for me, Nuri laughing nervously. Eventually he departed, assured I would be choosing one of the bags he had picked out. "Does he do that all the time, Nuri..?" No, just with you. I do love that guy, one of Kalkan's funniest characters.
We ate at Asian Gary/Gate...8 of us, with rice nans, a main course each and a glass of wine/beer a piece, 55TL per head. Shocking, I know to go to an Indian in Turkey.... Two things, I dont think my Jalfrezi was a good as last year and no chinese meals could be orderd which left one of our party having to order a curry that she didn't really want. Nonetheless, everyone else gave it 10 out of 10.
No walk today, just a quick trek up the hill to the market. off to see our watch lady as our son had managed to lose the clasp on his watch. No problem, we'll send it away have it back next week 20TL. I love the sights, sounds and smells of the market...fresh fruit and veg, green tea, some nuts and DVDs - our staple shop on market day. I wanted a beatspill, BH a selfie stick so both were purchased after some humorous bartering...the vendor was going down in 50ps. We got there in the end....beatspill working only with my ipod, selfie stick only with my phone....BH wasn't best pleased.
Into Nur for tea and pastries....here's the thing I'm recently diagnosed with coeliac disease. Biopsies for other things turned it up although I believe i'm symptomless so pastries should be the last thing on my menu. Love the pastries in there so tucked in with gusto....only to feel pretty rotten an hour or two later. Gluten shall be avoided from now on :-\ BH calls it celariac disease and when he tells people, I can see them looking at me and suddenly seeing a strange gnarled vegetable...!
Spent the rest of the day, out of exile and into the sunshine by the pool - chillaxing as David Cameron would say :)
Tonight we are eating in the re-located Seaport...really into the groove now.
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 11, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
Lovin' these daily updates K4E. Please don't stop!

Shame about no Chinese food at Asian Gary. Is this a permanent thing I wonder, or just a problem last night?

Fancy finding out you have coeliac disease! I've had quite a few patients diagnosed recently. It used to be quite rare and I think it's because the tests weren't done as routine years ago. I know I seem to be doing far more coeliac screens these days. Hopefully you won't slip up too many times and upset your system too much. I expect it's still a learning curve for you. I'm sure you'll find lots of yummy food to enjoy while in Kalkan.

Glad the weathers good and dare I say it - don't want to count my chickens etc - look forward to tomorrow's instalment.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 11, 2015, 08:59:42 PM
I'm already counting those chickens Lizzie and hoping for another instalment tomorrow.  We are so enjoying your posts and again thank you.  We ate at Asian Gary at Easter, and it was only Indian food, so not sure whether the Chinese menu is still on! Although they had only just opened for the season.  Looking forward to hearing about Seaport, so hope that they are doing well. 

Sorry you have been feeling poorly K4E, and hope you are better to enjoy your meal this evening, I think I would have been tempted with a Nur pastry though too! Be interesting to know whether the selfie stick is okay, I wanted to buy one at Easter, but OH persuaded me otherwise, but it's on my list this year!

Jx

Post by: antler on June 11, 2015, 09:29:46 PM
Yes, more spoiling - thanks K4E!

Glad you are now in the groove. What's the TL rate out there right now? My credit card was offering 4.2 earlier, so just wondered.....

Only 4 more office days, then as Davina says " we're coming to get you!"

Happy Friday!

Post by: Babs on June 11, 2015, 10:18:17 PM
Are you going to give our sunbed a try soon? Now the sunburn has calmed down! Suzq1 the preferred sunbed is in the position where you get disturbed least and have the option to,face the sun most of the day......I'll leave you to work it out!  :laugh:
Post by: antler on June 12, 2015, 06:00:39 AM
Aha, I've opened my eyes and seen the other thread re Lira ROE - thanks, K4E!
Post by: pw on June 12, 2015, 06:55:23 AM
Asian Gate-wise, apparently there has been a bust up with the Chinese chef and he is no longer there.

That's what I heard anyway.

pw
Post by: onelove on June 12, 2015, 09:38:37 AM
I have just spoken to Jawad (the owner) about Asian Gate not serving Chinese food and he confirmed that that is right, there will be no Chinese food on the menu from now on.

He said there are 2 reason's for this ....1, is that only 5% to 10% (Max) of people were ordering Chinese food so it was not cost effective to pay/keep the Chinese chef, + been as he has to import all of the spices, flours, popadoms etc ( can't get the right spices in Turkey, which also amazes me ) it was costing far to much to stock both Indain & Chinese specialist food stuffs.

As a foot note I'm amazed how much more popular Indain food is over Chinese  ??? :o ???
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 13, 2015, 06:18:12 PM
Oh the drama......

But first, lets rewind to Thursday evening as I'm conscious I've slipped into my old ways ;) So, first stop Kaya bar and a lovely catch up with Blue Lizard and Mrs Lizard then on the Seaport...and my third cocktail :P. The food was fabulous at Seaport and Deniz and his team have done a great job turning this place around in three short weeks...we cant for the life of us remember what was there before...? Several beers, 3 glasses of rose, the obligatory cocktail, free meze starters and amazing puffy bread - I'm told it was amazing :'(, two fillet steaks in chilli and pepper sauce and complimentary liqueurs 185tl for the two of us. We then moved over to bar area and left sometime around 2.30. As we walked up the hill...tired and emotional I think the celebs call it, we promised ourselves an early night on Friday.
So Friday's walk was somewhat later than usual and somewhat subdued, shall we say. Down to the harbour and along past Indigo, up to Yali Beach Club. Halfway up the path that leads up the side of Likya Gardens when we remembered it only takes you to a house with dogs that bark aggressively and jump at the flimsy fence as you pass. Back down and up through the scrubland to Likya Hotel. Since the subject of snakes has been discussed on the forum, I am now very wary of this sort of terrain and practically ran up the clearing with my eyes firmly to the ground. Went along to see the revamped Rhapsody Hotel...WOW!! this looks amazing. Still not open but lots of frantic cleaning activity.
Last night we headed for Moonlight followed by some rather good cocktails in Botanik. I could see the night was going in the wrong direction so we made a sharp exit and settled on quick and easy in Fotos and the early night we promised ourselves.

Are you waiting for the drama...?

At some point in the night...possibly around 3am I woke up. I'm not sure why but as soon as I did I was aware of a strong smell of smoke. I woke BH and broke all the rules by putting on the light...our bedroom was full of choking smoke. I went into major panic mode and thought instantly the place was on fire. BH felt the bedroom door for heat and the gingerly opened it...the downstairs area seemed clear, It has to be something in the bedroom, Checking all the wires and plugs, nothing seemed untoward so I sent BH to the top terrace to check if the air conditioning unit was smoking. As soon as he opened the door I could see the smoke.... :o
"Its coming from below" was the verdict and I was kinda relived as I was already mentally packing our most precious things.
Indeed the smoke was coming from below, bellowing out of the area underneath the building where the pool runs from. BH ran to wake up Eyup, who thankfully lives onsite. After a few gentle taps on the door with no response, I was shouting at him to hammer the bloody door down. Eyup alerted came running out shouting "oh my God!" in English, which I found really strange and he headed straight into the danger area...with BH right behind him and me shouting "what do you think you're doing...? " or possibly something stronger :-[
Immediately he shut off the power and called...the Fire Brigade..? No, his pool man. Who arrived within minutes and they then called the fire brigade. I have to say, I was impressed with how quickly they came...but that's about it! It really was like the Keystone Cops..They had no idea what was causing the fire but piled in without breathing apparatus - smoke was now getting thicker and stronger and someone made the call to get breathing gear off the truck, this then took an age to fit and check. Eventually kitted up the hardy soul ventured forth swiftly followed by everyone else...? The Jendarme arrived and took notes...! They kept coming out shrugging the shoulders...cant find the seat of the fire was the gist of it. Smoke getting more acrid, more fierce and showing no sign of abating. It was maybe around 4.30 by now...and there was a lot of scratching of heads and - bizarrely - no attempt to evacuate the apartments. Amazingly our neighbours slept through it.... Water...yes lets pump in some water...which seemed to quell the smoke momentarily with lots of congratulatory patting of backs until it returned stronger than ever. At some point, when it had started to get light another fireman turned up - he was in a special fire service pick up - and within minutes the source of the fire was found and dealt with. A pump, apparently...but things were lost in translation.
At many points I was properly scared and thought something would blow at any minute, at other times BH and I were laughing hysterically at the comedy of it all. I got to watch the moon rising over the mountain strong and bright and fading as it got higher in the sky and the sun rose...quite beautiful after all the drama. Our bedroom smelt horribly of smoke but at 6.35am, I lay on the bed and slept for an hour - maybe more.
Todays walk was straight down to the harbour and onto Yildiz 2 for a wonderful day out with Osman and Zeynab - the perfect antidote to our "early night"....

Never a dull moment in Kalkan :)
Post by: janeb on June 13, 2015, 07:04:06 PM
Oh my goodness. So glad you're both okay. What a calamity.

The previous day and earlier that evening sounds just what holidays are about. However the excitement of a fire definitely not. Although the antics of the Fire Service sounds so funny. 
 :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 13, 2015, 08:36:42 PM
Oh wow! That was definitely worth waiting for. I speed read the first part, I need to go back and savour it now - but that was one hell of a drama indeed!
Glad you are both ok (and everyone else as well of course) smoke can be just as dangerous as fire itself. Hope your clothes etc don't smell too badly either. Love the description of those firemen and their antics!

A relaxing day on yildiz sounds just the job after your eventful night.  8)
Post by: Kuzu on June 13, 2015, 11:11:54 PM
Good heavens...so glad you are ok...as you say never a dull moment!
Post by: Babs on June 14, 2015, 02:35:27 PM
I love a bit of excitement but that was just going a bit far! Hope things have calmed down now for you and normal service has resumed!  :laugh:
Post by: antler on June 14, 2015, 03:31:12 PM
At first, I thought your favourite Yankee Csndle had gone up, K4E
Post by: Rachey on June 14, 2015, 04:43:10 PM
Jeezo!  What a night!  Hope all is ok - is the pool having to be emptied?  You need an extra large glass of vino or ten!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 14, 2015, 07:44:30 PM
OMG K4E thank goodness you are all okay, so glad you are both safe and well, it must have been terrifying.  Hope you have had a relaxing day today in the Kalkan sunshine  :D :D

J
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 15, 2015, 05:06:01 PM
Boy its HOT!!! Very hot >:D >:D Someone said it was over 90 today (in old money of course..) feels like July.
So the dramas of Friday night soon a distant memory all that lingers is that horrible burnt smell as you swim in the underground section of the pool. Eyup got the cleaners round and they cleaned from top to bottom so nothing smells inside anymore.
Fabulous boat trip - as always with Osman and Zeynap on Yildiz 2. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to Firnaz for the mud bath but there's always next week :) From the boat we went straight into Fener to meet those friends who don't have the legs for a boat trip and I must report, its looking loads better. New seats to the front and a new menu (well same food, just put into a rather nice menu) and fabulous margaritas. All is well!
Yesterday's walk was me facing my nemesis - the new road....or just the road into Kalkan for those of you who have only been coming for the last 5 years or so. My KCP was at its peak on this relentless trek....right up to the point where it starts to go down hill...jeez that was pure suffering and worth....ooohhh 5 cocktails maybe? It was really hot and even though we stopped to try out the selfie stick at the appropriate points...I will not be using them anytime soon...I look like someone has thrown a bucket of water over my head...but the stick works, fine Jayne. We bought the largest beatspill and the bluetooth selfie stick for thirty of your "English pounds"...which always winds BH up being a proud Welshman :)
Last night we got down the harbour nice and early for the Festival and what a great night it was...lots of living statues and people dressed up dancing in the streets to a drum and brass band a super large stage with different bands performing - all for free. It was a bit chaotic but it did add to the atmosphere - it was a great night in Kalkan! Afterwards I drank apple martinis in Black and Gold and all was well with the world...too late to eat by the time everything was over and the fireworks started so we headed for the Soup Kitchen for our usual. Totally forgot that England were playing....ahhh well, we were otherwise entertained. Lots of people trekking up from the harbour as we sat in Ali Babas and I would say the vast majority of them were Turkish families.
Todays walk was across to Kiziltas - still not ready to tackle the hills so we came straight back down and wound through the streets behind Dreams Hotel. Lots of new property springing up here - mostly look like they are already occupied by locals.
Tonight we are meeting in Mini Bar for our friends last evening. They've booked a table for our last meal together at their favourite restaurant of their stay....but its a surprise. I love surprises...good ones of course.
Still just under 2 weeks left...aren't we lucky? :)
Post by: Babs on June 15, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
Very!! :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 15, 2015, 08:19:30 PM
So glad all is back to normal, and sounds like a fab time you've had since your last post, just thinking about Yildez boat trip makes me feel so excited, we are booked on a day trip and moonlight trip on Osman's boat in August  :D :D :D. Can't wait to hear where your surprise is tonight for dinner  :) Happy to hear Fener is sounding good again, wouldn't be the same not going there to people watch, lunch, and after a boat trip for drinks! Talking of drinks K4E, best keep on doing your walking, worth it for a reward of 5 cocktails at the end  :D :D.  Re the selfie stick, glad your putting it to good use, I had an unexpected surprise yesterday, I too am now the proud owner of one! my daughter bought it for my birthday  :D :D. Bob's still not convinced though!

J
Post by: suzyq1 on June 15, 2015, 08:49:02 PM
Wow K4E, just catching up on your holiday reports. Thank goodness you are both ok. The fire really was a drama you could have done without. Your trip on Yildiz was perfect timing as I can't think of a better way to spend a day and forget about the rest of the world.

Glad to see its hotting up for me :)

Post by: antler on June 15, 2015, 09:10:47 PM
Some like it HOT, K4E!!   Let's see what the weekend brings.......I can't believe I saw a forecast for rain there on Saturday (think the iPhone is picking up the other Kalkan in Turkey?)

Yes, you need more time out on boats!!

Have you found that Pork Shop? If so, what's it like?

Sounds like you are getting really fit on them hills?! 

Hope you are heading for completion of all 7 books, too. - and the paradise thought of 2 weeks left. Bliss!

Cheers.
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 16, 2015, 09:42:13 AM
Yes you are lucky K4E  :) My boss won't let me have 3 weeks but by convincing him we just had to fly out on a Thursday  :P and tagging the Bank Holiday on, we've managed to settle for 18/19 days and I can't wait!

You are mobilizing well up those relentless hills, definitely worth it for the cocktail rewards that follow.  ;)

The festival sounded like fun, I don't think we've ever been lucky enough to experience anything similar while we've been in Kalkan.

Can't wait to hear where your surprise restaurant was.   :) :)

Post by: antler on June 17, 2015, 06:37:06 AM
Now then, K4E, this is more of a Drinks Challenge perhaps, than a Shopping Challenge? The Girls are asking "can we get fizz in Kalkan" and I remember an early poster saying they had found some? Have you come across it and what's it like?! And does this cost a fortune?

Otherwise, Mrs A will be fizzing up her glass of red herself!

Only one day at the office left, now - you know how good that feels?

Cheers

Antler
Post by: Chris_S on June 17, 2015, 10:22:02 AM
Here's one for those keeping up with Kalkan Weather:

There's now a PWS (Personal Weather Station) in Kalkan.

This means that while it's online (!?) you can get the current conditions and a forecast.

Try looking at:

http://tinyurl.com/nketsgs (http://tinyurl.com/nketsgs)

And as it's a website, it should even work with the 8% of you that use iPhones  >:D

The site is on Yildiz Sokak in Kalamar, so a lot nearer than Kaş.

And, currently, Thunderstorms are forecast for Friday.  But then it's a forecast, and I forecast I shall win the lottery tonight.....
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 17, 2015, 02:01:32 PM
Oh goodness me we are at the halfway point of our holiday......aaaarrrrggghhh! Already doing that not enough days left to do all we want thing.
On Monday evening our "surprise" dinner was at Seaport.....which was actually no surprise at all as our friends have eaten there more times during this holiday than any other restaurant. They didn't want to tell us in case we decided to skip dinner with them in favour of somewhere else. Nothing wrong with Seaport but we do like to try and squeeze in as many different places as possible - with the exception of the Soup Kitchen which is my emergency dinner venue when dinner is too late :-[
Once again Seaport was delicious. I opted for Stuffed Fish and BH had the fillet steak with Gorgonzola. Free meze starter with puffy bread, a lot of Rose, a lot of red wine, raspberry cheesecake for BH and complimentary liqueurs 190tl Fabulous!!
We dodged the after dinner drinks as we were on the 7.40am Bati Antalya to Fethiye but promised to be back in time for their final drinks departure at 6pm.
I do love getting the bus to Fethiye - it's quite an experience and a lesson in how many bodies you can squash onto a bus at the same time. People are charged different prices, young girls aren't charged at all, some people hop on and off and don't pay and even when the driver says they are full some people still manage to squeeze on. It's free water and free entertainment and so many different cultures even amongst the Turkish. I also love the fact that the bus enters and exits Kalkan via the old road Akbel and Yesilkoy.....coming home I love the part where you wind along the roads and see the Kalkan sign then suddenly the blue sea....happy memories of our early trips.
Fethiye Market is a beast of a market and is so much bigger and better than Kalkan, especially the produce section which stretches for miles.....how do they all make a living? We were on a mission to find shoes, underpants, T-shirts, proper pashminas and of course an obligatory glance at the bags - not all from the market. We had a lovely walk along the front to the old town, stopping at Meydan for menemen and chai - see I can do Turkish :P
We quite like Fethiye for a day, possibly even an overnight trip, but I could not stay here any length of time...even if a large beer is only 8tl on the front  :o
We made our way to the Fish Market for lunch, shopping completed. The largest tiger prawns from Ceten and a table in Citir beckoned. 70tl for a kilo of the freshest prawns and 6tl each for the garlic bread, salad and to cook them in Citir. The entertainment from Baris, the cockney Turkish frontman came for free...he kept us amused as we somehow managed to get through not one but two bottles of a very nice Sauvignon Blanc. Sadly, a combination of heat and walking saw an unwelcome return of Kalkankles...albeit in Fethiye. No worries says Baris, cool your feet off in the public water fountain - the sebil. I didn't need telling twice but my feet really did resemble the effect you get when you blow into a new rubber glove.
BH did not buy extra prawns to take back with us on account of them part cooking against his leg on the bus journey back last year...and that was through the bag!!! When he's hot....he's boilng hot  ;D
We were too tired to eat out last night so ate in...some chicken cooked simply with salad and takeaway chips from Passaport...flight socks on and feet raised. So glamorous, me!
No walk today as we are letting the magic feet pills do their thing. We walked into the village and did some bag perusal which means a tea and cake stop at Cafe Leon.....second fall from Coeliac grace. :-X
We booked our table in Gourmet and headed back to the roof terrace, via that other Gourmet place - Gourmet Pork. BH bought some ham for 8tl and said we should think about leaving our Tesco bacon at home next year.

So, Antler, the fizz that as mentioned on here was called Bianca. I have been looking out for it in the supermarkets to no avail and I asked for it in Mini Bar but what I got was more like Lambrini...! We got 2 bottles of Laurent Perrier in Manchester for £45 plus they had prosecco but I thought the champagne was a better deal. Also when you land at Dalaman the champagne and prosecco there seemed quite reasonable....I'd stock up!!
However, if we find it between now and then, I'll let you know...all the fizz is expensive here...who knows why?
I certainly hope there aren't thunderstorms on Friday, Chris_S, we've hired a motorboat for the day :'(
Aaah well, back to the sunshine...
Post by: antler on June 17, 2015, 02:34:48 PM
What are you like, K4E?! Feet like blown up rubber gloves had me in stitches!  And half cooked king prawns from your boiling hot husband's legs finished me off!!

Thanks for the update re the fizz, even if it is not good news yet.....Maybe Mrs A will have to settle for a tumbler of Red and a squirt of soda....

Have been allocated a beach towel from the airing cupboard. Evidently it is brand new - just another purchase I didn't know I had, so no need for TK Maxx anymore. Shame, as I might miss a bargain of something I don't need.

See you soon....only 2 non-sleeps left.
Post by: Babs on June 17, 2015, 09:14:37 PM
Well I just think K4E is showing off.....telling us all the she has a really hot husband!!  :laugh: :laugh:
Hope the kankles improve.......your description of a blown up rubber glove is perfect! I suffered the return of the blown up ankles this year........and realised that they take a while to get back to normal even once I'm home........sadly I'm back to being skinny ankled now!  :'(
Post by: suzyq1 on June 17, 2015, 09:39:06 PM
Oh no, I hope the blown up ankles, or "clubbiness" as my friends and I call them aren't spreading this year? Thanks to you K4E and the recommendation of the magic feet pills I have escaped them the last two years.
With me its definitely too  much alcohol  as I have suffered this weekend and it certainly wasn't hot here! I put it down to the  3 days and 4 nights of too much alcohol  at the IOW festival ! Great fun and good  training for my holiday  but boy am I suffering now? Getting too old for all this >:D
Hope the weather holds out and you have a great day on the boat on Friday.
Have you been to Palm Beach Club yet? don't think I missed a report?
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 19, 2015, 09:55:55 AM
Halfway already!! Your holiday is going far too quickly for my liking  :(

Hope the weather is good and the sea calm today for your motorboat adventure.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 19, 2015, 11:29:27 PM
So the days are now running away with themselves...no! Double No!
On Wednesday night we booked our favourite table in Gourmet - top terrace jutting out on its own towards Gironda. Top views of the town and a bit more private. I had a bellini to start and BH had a beer....free sushi as always followed by Absolut steak for me and Balsamic steak for BH. Two glasses of wine, water and two puds - 250TL and the best meal of our holiday so far. Gourmet never fails to deliver for me, but it was busy - probably the busiest restaurant we've been in this trip and service appeared to be a little less attentive than usual......we didn't care we had all the time in the world.
Yesterday was Market Day so a quick sprint up there to collect some provisions and pick up our watch and straight back down to the town beach. Still not made it over to Palm Beach yet, suzyq1, but are planning to go on Monday. The town beach was fairly quiet so had our pick of the beds. A couple of things...the beach was not clean and tidy - lots of litter and beds strewn all over the place. We spent a good 10 minutes collecting the litter in and around the beds we'd chosen - cushionless it has to be said :( and another 5 minutes to swap those beds for ones that weren't broken. Nonetheless, once settled it was the perfect place to be with the temperatures surpassing 90 degrees. The water was crystal clear, cold and inviting...but the new crocs were not up to the task of getting in and out of the water with a modicum of grace. Style over sense....once again! Had the beach been more populated, I may well have been the days entertainment ::) The man who has collected our money for the beds and parasol for more years than I care to remember has been shunted off to Kas to read water meters and in his place, two officious young men who will get the hang of it.....eventually....I hope. Love the beach, despite its faults. Our cool bag full of goodies and now a cafe that sells Efes....praise the Lord! We stayed until late...even at 7pm the sun was still scorching our skin. We walked back via Fener's ice cream and my third wagon fall in terms of gluten....duly noted by the Coeliac Police (BH) and shrugged off by the defendant (me). Cardiac Hill needs a Fener ice cream as mere distraction therapy...they should be giving them away for free...well at 5tl, they practically are. As we walked up the hill.....me taking in the wheat lecture, the clouds appeared from nowhere, enveloping the hillside and dropping onto Kalkan. Thick black clouds that had rain stamped all over them...
Thunderstorms and rain had been predicted, but no-one wanted to believe it. We decided to postpone our motorboat for the following day...no problem said Blue Marlin. Nothings ever a problem here is it? I didnt fancy being out at sea on a small craft with the threat of thunder, BH has a real appetite for danger (see earlier post about the fire) and I am a bit of a wimp so not a good mix on an expanse of water during a storm having already been there with him once before.
Last night we ate at Marina - excellent value for money considering its location and another good meal - we've yet to have a bad one! I wowed the boys with my boxing moves - but thats another story ;)
We awoke this morning to clear blue skies and sunshine.....oh, that's not what we were expecting! By midday the dark clouds had descended and we felt spots of rain so time to head off for a spot of lunch and some shopping. Picked up some gifts and more bag shopping groundwork....which resulted in a BSG purchase from their fantastic sale.
Later on the sun came back out so we sat on our roof terrace until well after 7pm, drinking vodka and telling each other how lucky we are to have found Kalkan.
Post by: antler on June 20, 2015, 06:54:58 AM
How lucky we are, indeed, K4E. How can you write such lovely stuff at 11.30pm??!  That steak sounds lovely and Mrs A is just reminding me that we have tried it!  Better have a refresher and try it again...

See you shortly....
Post by: Babs on June 20, 2015, 08:09:46 AM
All I can say is.......sale at BSG in June?? How does that happen?
Hope the speed boat day is wonderful when it arrives.
I can't believe you haven't been to Palm beach yet, but I see you went to cafe del mar a real favourite of ours.....I wonder if you sat in 'our' seats? :laugh:
Post by: suzyq1 on June 20, 2015, 09:43:07 AM
Think I need to invest in some new beach towels to use down at the beach. I was hoping to get away with just bringing the light weight Turkish ones ( save more weight for all the clothes that I never end up wearing!) but with no cushions this year I think  I need to reconsider.

Looking forward to hearing about the boat trip when you rebook as have considered that before. Do you still need a certificate as I know they clamped down on the rules for hiring them out?
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 20, 2015, 10:46:24 AM
Yes, suzyq1, you need a boat licence. BH has just got his so is raring to take to the seas....with me as his reluctant passenger :o
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 21, 2015, 09:24:56 AM
What a lovely start to my Sunday, catching up on your posts K4E, your holiday just gets better and better, what a fab time you and OH are having. Hope that your ankles are better now too.  BSG bag sale sounds fab, hope they have some left when we go!!! Re the Bati Antalya to Fethiye bus, do you need to book or just turn up at the bus station, and do you know how often they go and what is the last one back? Sorry for all the questions! We have planned a 2 night trip to Fethiye in August, and are going to take the bus there too. 

Happy Sunday, and look forward to your next post.

Jx
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 22, 2015, 08:46:31 AM
Oh crikey, i'm losing all track of time....but I know from the noise coming out of the nursery from hell...it must be Monday. A private nursery so sadly its open all year round for children who are screaming banshees in training...
So Saturday we decided to chill.....oh that would be like every other day then...but not before our walk. These have somehow fell off the agenda but no amount of lapping the pool at HanInn can make up for the proper exercise of a walk and I am in negative equity in terms of calories consumed against expended.
We had spied the new path through the hill between Kalkan and Kalamar when walking on the new road last week and thought we'd give it a go...if we could find it. Eventually we did...down to the Regency where the road used to end, but now a path runs in front of Korsan Suites and up over the hill. Ooooh a new road in Kalkan for us to try, for fun...
It wasnt much fun but the views were amazing - even half way up. a new view for my collection - seeing how i have 10 million of each of the others, according to BH. As I snapped away, he thought he might stretch his legs a bit and started to jog up the final ascent. Why? I've no idea and neither did he when 2 minutes later he felt his calf muscle strain, a serious strain...! I left him rueing his snap decision because I want to see if you could see Kalamar in an equally new light from the other side - I'm cruel like that. The path stopped and only rocks remained ahead, albeit walkable in my trainers, but they were back at our gaff. I have also developed an irrational fear of snakes lurking in undergrowth just waiting to pounce on stupid fools like me so even if I had chosen the right footwear, I still wouldn't have ventured forth. Defeated, I descended and made all the right sympathetic noises to BH as we made our way back at a snails pace. Leg up, ice pack on and fastgel from our best friend the chemist.
We hobbled down to Moonlight where BH was cheered up watching the cricket...no vodka tonight then Muhitidin asked BH? The previous evening he had decided vodka was his new drink...well in fact it started with cocktails in Botanik and went downhill from there..no, no vodka thanks. I'll stick to beer was the sheepish reply...and no the injury was nothing to do with the consumption of said vodka.
I had noticed a week or so ago that the famous bollards now stop at Utopia...they are no longer a feature in Moonlight. "What happened to the bollards, Muhitdin...?" Oh they just disappeared one night was his cheeky reply.
Onto Mussakka for dinner...again at glacial pace...and oh no, my sandal snapped. My favourite pair that have been fixed more times than I care to remember..the thong once again detached from the sole. BH and I looked as though we were auditioning for Monty Pythons Ministry of Silly Walks on the short distance from Moonlight to Mussakka.
We had an excellent meal here - a beer, a margarita, free bread (for BH) and small meze followed by plum steak for BH and summer steak for me, two liqueur coffees and complimentary peach schnappes 240tl and just shading it as our favourite meal so far.
The walk back to HanInn was pure comedy and I dont know if we couldn't move more because our impediments or our laughter.
I wasnt laughing later as I started to feel very queasy around midnight, then my love affair with the toilet started about an hour later and only stopped at first light....cant help feeling it was karma for not being more sympathetic of BH but he reckoned it was the menemen I made for myself late on yesterday as I chose not to wash the veg.
I thought we wouldnt make it to our day with the antlers...but there's no way I was missing that. I stuck religiously to water and ate nothing like as much as I wanted to eat of his delicious lunch. BH made up for my reticence.
It was a real treat to watch Kazim create his magic with his lovely assistant alongside...the Paul Daniels and Debbie Magee of the culinary world. With the cooking underway we nipped back to freshen up only to return to cocktails on the terrace at Yellow Villa. Trust antler to find a drinkable fizz....well very drinkable with the chambord he brought from home. It was the start of a truly lovely evening of wonderful food and great company...and a lot of drink!! Cointreau is now BH's favourite new drink.
No Palm Beach today as we needed to run some errands....its Palm Beach tomorrow or not at all....yikes!
Aah well the roof terrace awaits...
Post by: antler on June 22, 2015, 08:53:44 AM
Wish I could have seen those silly walks, K4E!!! 
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 22, 2015, 08:56:40 AM
Oh, Jayne forgot to say....the bus is 13tl each one way. We've never booked from Kalkan but do book our return trip when we arrive in Fethiye. They are weird times so for example to first bus from Kalkan leaves at 7.40 but the next one isnt until 10am. Coming back its 15.30 or the next one is 16.45.
I think they are more frequent in high season but there's a website and you can ask for it to read in English
http://www.batiantalyatur.com.tr
We would like to do an overnight in Fethiye next year so would be interested to read about your experience
Post by: janeb on June 22, 2015, 09:15:28 AM
 :) Lovely report, hope the leg is on the mend, it's wonderful how alcohol somehow dulls the pain! Will you need to go shoe shopping now? Happy days!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 22, 2015, 10:54:28 AM
Oh no, I see the Turkey Trot has reared it's ugly head  :( :( Sadly I can empathise as I always succumb to this too. I take a PPI tablet on a regular basis (lansoprazole) and recently found out that this can make you more susceptible as it inhibits stomach acid,  thereby reducing your immunity to tummy bugs as the acid helps to kill the bugs. Think I might try to take one every other day on holiday and see if this helps.  ???

Hope both of you are soon back on form and as always I'm loving your reports. Your day with the Antlers' sounded wonderful... :)
Post by: suzyq1 on June 22, 2015, 02:09:30 PM
What a sight you two must have been  :D
I can imagine any onlookers would have been smiling to themselves thinking "maybe one too many!'
It doesn't seem possible that you are running out of days. Just hope the leg doesn't slow you down. Then again, at least you have the excuse to just sit back…. and relax!  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 22, 2015, 03:43:30 PM
Hope you are back to feeling 100% better today K4E, and again thank you for your latest post, sounds like it has been very eventful! Your evening at The Antlers sounded fab too.  Thank you for the information re the Bati Antalya bus, will check it out, and definitely report on our 3 days in August! Hope OH's strain is on the mend too.  I hope you manage to get to Palm Beach tomorrow too!  :D :D :D

J
Post by: tortoise lady on June 22, 2015, 08:09:35 PM
hope both you and your feet are now in fit form Kalkan4Eva.   I have been enjoying your blog, found posting too difficult on my Kindle whilst in Kalkan but now catching up with things.   I was delighted to see you mention the word "trainers".   To be honest I almost live in trainers when walking round Kalkan.   My ankles feel more secure in them.   Not exactly a good look but comfort is rather a good thing!

I envied you your meal with the Antlers on Sunday.   You all seemed to have had a wonderful evening.

Hope you will enjoy the rest of your time in Kalkan.   Maybe not long now?  Then you start counting up the weeks until the  next visit.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 24, 2015, 10:27:58 PM
4 days...3 nights :(
Where has the time gone?
Monday night we had drinks in Moonlight before a fabulous meal in Coriander. Free meze starter, mixed grill for BH, Ottoman Chicken for me, 2 wines, one beer and an ice cream to share 101tl. WOW!! We finished off the night in Lime - catching up with Dimitris - but not before BH's hot legs had done further damage. Not only can this man cook king prawns with his leg heat, we've now discovered he melts paint on restaurant chairs too....third time this holiday. That has to be something for Britain's Got Talent..? No..? But the real talking point of Monday night...I wore heels :o :o A first for me in Kalkan and whilst they were a mere 2 inches they were HEELS! I am happy to take whatever awards you think are fitting for this achievement.
Tuesday we eventually made it to Palm Beach. Nice and early for the boat but the boat man was having his breakfast in Fener...no worries we said, we'll walk. Another first for this holiday was our dog convoy...how I've missed these. Three dogs happily trotted along with us, two fell by the wayside just after the beach, leaving just one sweet girl who darted in and out of the sprinklers like a show dog. Just before the path starts to go uphill, we noticed maybe 4 or 5 tents pitched in the area, with camping equipment piled up alongside them...well I never!
We were first to arrive at Palm Beach...me, BH and our new dog friend. She followed us right down to the decking and promptly parked herself under BH's sunbed. We offered her water throughout the day, but she wasn't interested....I was worried because it was so hot. Anyway, the boys at Palm didn't try to remove her and they also didn't charge us extra :) Two beds, a parasol, tea, 4 large waters, 2 large beers, 2 glasses of Lal, fried cheese salad for me, pizza for BH, plus chips, plus the obligatory Long Island Iced Teas x2 = 195tl and a jolly good day out. We decided to walk back so Petal (as we called her...) could orientate herself. She did just that, running through the greenery - now without tents - and barking with happiness. Such a gorgeous gentle dog, I was sorry to see her go.
Today we joined all 8 antlers, Mr and Mrs Burnley, Burnley Jnr and his girlfriend on Yildiz 3 - for a change. Osman joked with us whilst we waited to set off that he could give us tea and coffee as Adem was too busy to look after his guests....brotherly love!
It was another of those perfect days in Kalkan...including mud bath! We were out at sea for possibly the longest time ever...not getting back to the harbour until well after 6.30 but the day had simply flown by. As Adem squeezed Yildiz 3 into the tiniest space ever between the boats, antler joked with Osman that his trips are only half a day compared to Adems....ahh but this was special said Os. Indeed it was.
Someone mentioned cocktails...it may have been me...and next thing we were sitting in Botanik with 6 antlers, enjoying Long Island Iced Teas, mojitos and a manly strawberry daiquiri for Tom. One led to three before we bade our farewells.
I sooooohhhh don't want to go home  :( :(
Post by: Haybo on June 25, 2015, 05:38:34 AM
What a fab time.  I love boat trips, especiallythe evening ones.  Booked onto the Kaya trip in august so hoping that is as good. 

I am saddened by how quick your holiday has gone as we are  going out for 3 weeks too and i thought it might seem like an eternity!

Make the mist of the last few days x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 25, 2015, 06:04:53 AM
Oh what a fab day at sea by the sounds of it K4E, sorry too your holiday is coming to an end, but you still have a few days left, so have a wonderful time enjoying the rest of them and look forward to hearing all about it.  Your walk to Palm Beach sounded fun, especially with Petal in tow.  :D :D

J
Post by: Babs on June 25, 2015, 06:10:02 AM
Well you sound as if you are having such an amazing time! Two perfect days, Palm Beach and a boat trip. I wonder where you and 'hot legs' will end up today!  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 25, 2015, 12:58:11 PM
What a fab holiday you're having and I'm enjoying reading about it too. In fact I'm more than enjoying it - I'm savouring every little tasty morsel  you chuck our way, conscious that all too soon it will come to an end.  :( >:(

Palm beach sounded so relaxing and your fantastic boat trip has me longing for ours to hurry up and come around.

Did I read the HEELS bit right???  :o You really wore HEELS  ??? :o and you really wore HEELS without a misfortune  ??? :o

Well done you, you definitely deserve an accolade! You need to elaborate on the technique as while I've been conducting heel research from our favourite moonlight seats, the amount of ladies in heels I've seen go over on their ankles down those cobbled streets doesn't bear thinking about.  ;D

Hope these last few days go very slowly for you and hot legs and mind your step if the heels come out to play again.  :)
Post by: suzyq1 on June 25, 2015, 10:18:16 PM
No no no K4E, don't do this to me !
I have a suitcase ready and packed full of blingy flip flops! At only 5ft 2 I really need all the height I can get but have always headed your advise and gone for flats, but now at the last hurdle you throw in a heel! ??? Well its too late now, despite harping on about travelling light this year I am already up to my weight limit and still have to throw in, or rather squeeze in those last minute bits!

So glad you have had a wonderful holiday. Enjoy the last few days. Hope you don't mind but I may go and try out your sun bed at Palm Beach  ;D 

This time tomorrow we will be there….. I'll look out for old hot legs and you clinging onto him whilst trying to stay vertical in your heels  ;D ;D 
Post by: Babs on June 26, 2015, 08:14:50 AM
Erm.........I think you will find that it's MY sun bed suzyq1!!  ;D ;D ;D But it's ok, I'll let you use it occasionally!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 27, 2015, 09:17:48 AM
Oh no.....we are at that moment of dread...last full day and night here in Kalkan.
The weather is pretty grotty today, clouds and rain.....yes you read that right...clouds and rain. So we've packed this morning - as far as we can pack - and hoping the weather will improve before the day is out.
I'm losing track of the days. Thursday was a scorching hot day and we chose to visit the market not once but three times. The first was a planned trip to pick up our essentials, spices, green tea, turkish delight, pine nuts etc. All done and dusted, with our tea and biscuit stop at Nur and 10 mins watching Baris from the other Nur trimming some foliage in front of his hotel with a pair of scissors. It appeared to be one of those jobs that when you start, you wish you hadn't as it suddenly becomes a bigger job. Scissors passed on to one of his staff and he reappeared with shears. A big job needs big tools! It was an entertaining tea break.
Back at HanInn, we realised we'd forgotten to pick up a holdall...so back up again, but unsuccessful, we headed into town. With the help of some of our turkish friends we found what we were looking for. Back again to HanInn and now relaxing on the roof terrace, BH mused about the shorts he'd purchased in the market - an impulse buy - should he have bought more..? Before I knew it he was up and had the bag fund in his hand...so naturally I followed. BH and the bag fund and a market full of impulse buys....a recipe for disaster.It was pushing on 4pm and the market was cooler and less crowded and also you are hassled less. Its as if the batteries have run down on the vendors at this time of day....we made a mental note to make it our regular time in future.
Thursday night was drinks in Moonlight, a quick cocktail in Botanik and Dinner at Doy Doy. It is frankly years since we've eaten here and only did so because the lovely greeter from Escudo has moved there. Another fabulous meal...beer and margarita to start, free bread and dips, two Doy Doy steaks, 2 glasses of wine and a pud to share - 220tl. Forgotten how good this place is and we promised not to leave it so long again. I was delighted to see they still give you free bracelets when you leave - a nice touch.
Yesterday was our day on the speedboat.
I was looking forward to this as much as I was dreading it -  small craft out in those choppy seas is not my idea of fun.
Not to be deterred, we set off down to the harbour with an overflowing picnic bag and essentials for the day. Blue Marlin offered us the best deal so we met the boys at the harbourside and I was quite impressed with how modern and clean the boat was. BH got some instructions regarding the coastguard and a map showing the rocky outcrops and we set off. Go to Kaputas in the morning as the wind gets up in the afternoon...ok we said.
A gentle pace around the beach, the beach clubs and then our first stop in a nice secluded inlet so BH could practice his manoeuvres and dropping the anchor whilst I figured out the best seat for topping up my tan. Oh this is going to be a lovely day.... Fast forward 15 minutes as we are battling a strong choppy sea over to Kaputas and I'm no longer picking a seat for sunbathing I'm rigid to the seat I think is giving the boat some balance and instructing BH not to go too fast as the boat just bounces off the waves.
Once at Kaputas, I consider disembarking for the rest of the day.
It will be fine on the way back, says BH. A white lie of huge proportions. Picture George Clooneys boat in the Perfect Storm...enough said. I was soaked through with the spray, whilst BH is having the time of his life. I think, quite literally I was petrified. Strange none of the boat trips had ventured this way today..I pointed out!
Once we reached the relative calm of Kisla and headed over the bay, hugging the coastline to Firnaz, I went back to picking my spot for the sun. Once moored I opened the last of the duty free champagne and our picnic and started to love the boating life.
A trip up to Green Beach and several stops later we came into moor just outside Firnaz for the last time. Right alongside a very empty Yildiz 2. Osman cheering and shouting us and inviting BH on board for an "Efes Juice"....not today thanks Os, I'm driving. Here look I'm on the tea says BH, holding up his flask which brought great peels of laughter from the whole family....hmmm! Ten minutes later, Os is instructing BH to pull alongside him and duly dispatched a plate of fruit, napkins and two forks - our fruit stop takeaway. How kind. BH chatting to Osman  - boat to bigger boat - telling him of our hairy trip to Kaputas, more laughter. He had turned his boat around and all the others had done likewise - it was way too difficult in that weather he said...more laughter when he heard I was crying. The 4 people on Yildiz 2 were told, "these are my old friends and he is now a sailor!"
As the sun started to set...and my champagne ran out...we headed back to Kalkan Beach Park to return the boat...the mornings episode a distant memory and the day bathed in a warm sunny glow - or maybe that was the champagne :-*
It was a very different day for us, after so many years of coming to Kalkan to find a new experience is a rare treat.
Last night, we were out so late, just time for one drink in Moonlight and a late dinner at Moonstone. New for us, and we are so glad we tried it. Free bread and dips to start, 2 beers for BH, a glass of rose, potted chicken casserole for BH and seafood casserole for me, a Moonstone Special to share for dessert (an ice cream cocktail...!) 138TL. Lovely meal and service here -  a hidden gem with an outstanding view. We fancied a couple of liqueur coffees so headed back to Moonlight which was absolutely bouncing - the busiest we've seen it all holiday. Business is good, Muhitidin?...Oh yes, it is good. We must be getting old(er) or maybe we were just tired as it was too loud for us so we headed off home for our own Bailey's night caps.
Still raining hard.....time to catch up on work ahead of my return on Tuesday.
Post by: Babs on June 27, 2015, 09:17:18 PM
Oh no! I can't believe it rained on your last day!  :-[ that happened to us once but that was in October! And you had to work! I hope things brightened up! Still, hopefully you are coming back to good weather, supposed to be 31 here on Tuesday/Wednesday.......not that that's much fun when you're working? The speed boat trip sounds amazing, if a little hair raising!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful holiday with us back here, who are pining for Kalkan!  :angel:
Post by: janeb on June 27, 2015, 09:25:56 PM
 :) Really enjoyed your reports. Thank you so much.
Post by: kalkanbelle on June 28, 2015, 10:12:08 AM
Have loved your great reports and so sorry your holiday is almost over.  Will miss reading all the things you and Hot Legs have been doing each day, very entertaining and amusing.  Big thanks and safe journey back.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 28, 2015, 05:27:00 PM
K4E, thank you so much for your holiday reports, we have enjoyed every word you have written, what a fabulous time you and OH have had.  Hope you are enjoying your last day and that the sun is shining for you.  Safe journey home to you both.   :) :)

J&B
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 28, 2015, 06:01:52 PM
Oh no!!! Is this  the dreaded day when you return home? What am I going to do with no more k4e blogs. Bereft doesn't do it justice.  :(
I'm eternally grateful to our other bloggers who will keep the home fires burning in Kalkan, but I will honestly really miss your witty and observant comments and thoughts on our lovely Kalkan. I hope the weather has improved for your last day and wish you and Hot Legs a safe journey home.
I will miss Your reports çok çok çok much.  :( :(
Post by: tortoise lady on June 28, 2015, 06:27:28 PM
I too, will miss your blog Kalkan4eva - but what were you thinking of wearing heels??   I know they look more elegant but I wouldn't dare.   I tend to wear trousers in the evening hoping to disguise the fact that I will still wearing what can only be described as "serviceable shoes".   

One consolation of leaving when it is raining is never seems quite the wrench of leaving all the sunshine behind - and you are coming back to a mini heatwave in UK, or so they tell us.

Have I imagined you are back in September?   If so we will look forward to your next blog.
Post by: Babs on June 28, 2015, 08:14:22 PM
As everyone has said its been great, thanks for sharing! Lots of pressure on the rest of you who are still to visit!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 29, 2015, 10:05:48 AM
Well...its done.
At 7.15pm...precisely the Enes driver came to collect us and we were on our way after three weeks of pure joy. I cannot tell you where the time went, but at the same time as we made our way back to Dalaman, it felt like we'd been there forever. I had begun to think I lived in Kalkan....and before any of the residents decide to point out the obvious, I do know that is a very different prospect. Its just that you get into a routine and suddenly it becomes the norm. My liver, however is grateful we have returned to UK and I really do need to get back on that gluten free wagon before any further damage is done.
So Saturday was a rain soaked day...how unusual for June. Not a shower - full on rain. We had planned to go bag shopping with Oli and Beth whilst the rest of the antlers went on the Kaya BBQ (in the rain...). The rest of Kalkan had the same idea...town was packed and the shops, bars and restaurants were doing a brisk business. I had already bought a Hermes Kelly from BSG sale for our youngest and this was swiftly followed by a Mulberry Willow, and Messenger from Nuri. The fund still had lira - preferred this year to sterling - so a couple of purses and a clutch from the BSG Sale ensured the fund was fully spent. The Longchamps totes dont count as bags...although BH would beg to differ. Chic offers the best value for these at their Market stall on a Thursday, but she will offer the same deal in her shop, just down from Baharat.
Our last night we spent having cocktails with 8 antlers and Mr and Mrs Burnley at Moonlight. The cocktails at Moonlight are greatly improved...finally no frippery and decent glasses. We had booked a table at Paprika - our first visit this year but we had ran out of time - as usual - and rather than return to our favourite we wanted to fit another in. We definitely saved the best till last. An amazing meal with magic by Tariq - this guy is seriously talented and is wasted in a restaurant...I have no idea how he performed his magic - nor how the chef conjured up his brand of magic for less than 180 tl. Chateaubriand followed free meze with puffy bread which in turn was followed by complimentary ice cream, huge fruit plate and liqueurs. With 2 glasses of wine, a Margarita and a beer - this was seriously good value and seriously good food. We couldnt have asked for a better final night and when the chef and his kitchen staff were brought to our table, I had ran out of Turkish superlatives...note to self, learn more!
Our final day, the sun shone and it was a perfect June temperature again...sadly the temperature from our new neighbours at HanInn was distinctly frosty. Each to their own, I suppose but I do think it incrediblely rude not to respond to a " Good Morning". Mr and Mrs Antler turned up to bid final farewells and help us out with provisions we had not managed to consume...they received the same treatment. "Yes they are British and no, I've no idea what their problem is..."

So, final thoughts for June 2015

1. Kalkan was quiet for June. Very quiet. Things appeared to get busier towards the end of our last week but nowhere near the ususal levels. Some bars and restaurants were empty - Asian Gary - one of last year's success stories appeared to be empty most of the times we passed it. I really hope business picks up for this lovely couple - its a different offering and I would be sad to see this go. We also noticed a lot more school-age children from UK - maybe parents are weighing up the cost of any fines versus the cheaper flights for term-time holidays. I did feel a bit sorry for some of these children who had no-one else of a similar age to make friends with.

2. Sunburn when you are a woman in her fifties is all kinds of wrong! I lost three days of sunshine and a Turkish Bath thanks to my own stupidity, Then when I did venture out, I had to slap Factor 50 all over me which is thick and gloopy and makes you look as though you are about to swim the channel not sit out in the sun.

3. If the big boats arent going to Kaputas, dont try and get there in a small boat. Simples

4. I read 7 books and they are listed in order of preference: Sharp Objects and Dark Places both by Gillan Flynn, Elizabeth is Missing, Girl on a Train, So you've been Publicly shamed, The A-Z of You and Me and The Memory Book.

5. There are fewer street dogs in Kalkan. Well done to KAPSA who have done a great job with their policy of education and neutering programmes. The dogs that are there are friendly and if you fear dogs, there is nothing to worry about as they mostly keep themselves to themselves. We did also see a cat chasing two dogs from V&B...the dogs were running for their lives - hilarious.

6. Competition is fierce between the restaurants...especially when it was very quiet....but the greeters are still polite and we didn't feel pressured. The most entertaining greeter was at Utopia, but they closed for a few days and he moved on - we never found out where. We also played Spot Billy, this guy turned up in three restaurants whilst we were there and one day in Yali!

7. The bin men wear girly straw hats....its a thankless task though and one they carry out daily with a cheery wave for the silly couple who walk for fun.

8. You can not beat a Boat Trip for value for money and a way to spend the day in Kalkan. There is a lot of choice and whoever you go with you will have a great day.

9. I'm not a fan of the huge billboards that have sprung up by the Kalamar roundabout and up near the bus station. I'm also not loving the flashing LED signs - there is even one at the harbour for a certain boat.

10. Kalkan is still Kalkan - yes it is changed from the Kalkan we first fell in love with but we still come back, we still have the best time and we never fail to be surprised by the warmth of the greetings and the super human memories of the wonderful people who ply their trade there - some of whom we are proud to call friends. Kalkan is what you make it, it is your own experience of the place which may be different to the next persons. It can be cheap and cheerful or fine dining each night - we do a bit of both. There is still a lot of building work, still a lot of green spaces being turned into villas or worse...the infrastructure is creaking at the seams and the traffic has quadrupled over the past few years. The Belediye have opened new car parks but still people prefer to selfishly leave the cars blocking pavements and forcing pedestrians to walk in the road - the area around the taxi rank is pretty hairy,

11. I wore heels for the first time! I still advocate flats but it felt good to get that extra 2 inches albeit for one night! Despite that huge effort on my part, BH's legs were the talking point of this holiday - one couple stopping him in BSG to ask him how he gets his legs so muscly...? He was also known universally as the brownest man in Kalkan.

12. We'll be back - although probably not this year, more likely 2016. We spoke to first-timers who are planning to come back and long-timers who may not. We are not at that point of wanting to find a new Kalkan, yet.....we still love the original one!

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, looking forward to catching up on all your own adventures over the coming months.....only 357 days to go!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 29, 2015, 10:23:55 AM
Oh K4E, what a wonderful final post! Thank you so much, sure has brightened up my Monday morning.  Welcome home and as for Bag Shopping! well you certainly did us girls proud.  So glad you had a fantastic holiday and look forward to reading your Kalkan adventures in 2016. 

Jx
Post by: antler on June 29, 2015, 10:46:09 AM
There is a K4E x 2 void in our Kalkan World, this morning. Thouht of you on your journey home. It was a GoodBye Day, yesterday, really not nice,  I had to turn to Vodka Coke to see me through. Oh, and some Mud Slides.

See you in the UK, supporting a Drink Aware Campaign, maybe?

Much love,

8 Missing-you-Both Antlers
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 29, 2015, 11:30:13 AM
Thanks again for your wonderful blogs and your final thoughts were brilliant. I've read some of those books but I'm making a note of the others for my Kalkan reading list. Good to know that the cocktails at moonlight have become more elegant - I shall certainly be trying those out and your heads up on bag shopping is gratefully received.

I bet you'd have got those miserable neighbours to smile if you'd have been there longer. Maybe they were deaf..and blind?? ??? ::)  ;) :)

Hopefully Hot Legs can top up his tan over the next few days, even though the sun is supposed to shine, I doubt that it will feel like Kalkan. Glad you're home safely.  :-*

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on June 29, 2015, 02:14:17 PM
Thanks K4E for your reports from Kalkan.  Been back a month now and it feels like I never went away.  I can't believe you were there for 3 weeks, where has the time gone.

Booked to go to Canada in September to celebrate my OH big birthday and wish I was going back to Kalkan.  I keep telling myself there is a big old world out there to explore but now that I have found Kalkan I never want to leave it. 

Glad you are home save, and enjoy whatever sunshine we get in the current "heatwave".

Jo
Post by: Babs on June 29, 2015, 04:43:56 PM
Sigh......no more K4E blogs for another year  :-[
So glad you and hot legs had a wonderful time, I know like me you were a little apprehensive about one or two things.
I've really enjoyed reading your blogs......but not the bits about a BSG sale.....how can that be? Even when we go at the end of the season there isn't a sale!
Oh an by the way, Longchamps totes definitely don't count as bags!  :D
Post by: janeb on June 29, 2015, 07:17:25 PM
 ;) brilliant posts. Thank you so much. I've so enjoyed every moment of your 3 weeks.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 30, 2015, 05:29:01 PM
Babs.....and anyone else...the sale bags etc in BSG are upstairs. Two rows to the right as you reach the top step. I really wanted to buy a Fendi Peekaboo in there in bright pink - it worked out as just £75! BH reminded me I already had one (this man knows bags....) albeit in a tame mocha colour so it couldnt be justified. Also, he overheard me telling Beth Antler that her purchase would last for years and years - she woudn't need another bag! Talk about an own goal....!
The Kelly - in beautiful dusky pink ostritch leather - also worked out at £75. I paid double that for my Birkin 5 years ago :(
Post by: Babs on June 30, 2015, 09:21:45 PM
Oh,how I wish I had that nugget of info before I went in May, now I've got to wait till next October before I can peruse the BSG sale!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal