Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Any advice?  (Read 7871 times)

Offline donmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Any advice?
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
 Don & Margaret, 1st time visitors to Turkey coming to the Hotel Samira, Kalkan from 12/05 to26/05/08. Normally holiday in Kefalonia but have decided to give Turkey a go.
 Would appreciate input from you old hands on matters such as;
  Essential clothing.
  Night-time temperatures
  Eating out (accommodation is B&B)
  Transfer time from Dalaman airport.
  Car hire.
  Bicycle hire.
  English spoken? (Phrase Book pending.)
  Currency exchange.
  Anything else you may consider relevant.
  Looking to hearing from you. ??? ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1275.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
Hi Don and Margaret,
Welcome to the Forum. You will find the answers to most of these questions are already on the forum.
I would suggest you look first at the General Advice and Hints Thread in the General Discussion part of the Kalkan Forum. Then look at the Restaurant, Bars and Nightlife Section, you will find reviews of most of Kalkans restaurants, but be warned you will be spoilt for choice. There is also a Thread on the Weather, for mid-May you can expect warm days and the odd chilly night.
On the Main Enjoykalkan Homepage, (link in the top right hand corner) you will find information on the transfer times, and details of Car hire, excursions and directions from Dalaman airport. Discounts are available for Forum members.
English is widely spoken, although, the locals do appreciate you trying to speak the language and will often give you a Turkish lesson. I have not come across anywhere doing bicycle hire, or indeed anyone riding bicycles, apart from diehard cyclists passing through on cycling holidays, probably because Kalkan is very hilly.
If you have any specific questions that are not covered, then give us a shout and I am sure someone will know the answer or know someone who does.
Cheers Joan
  :angel:

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »
As you are used to Kefalonia you will find Kalkan is more a ''walking'' place within the village, but it''s much hillier- too hilly for a push bike.More beach clubs than beaches, although you will enjoy Kaputas (compares with Mythos Beach) & Patara which are a drive or bus (domlus) away. Much better bus service than Kef. Lots more restaurants than Fiscardo or even Argostoli. Weather usually less rain than Kef at that time of year - more humid though. Definately warmer in evenings. 1hr 45 - 2 hrs ish from airport, maybe a little longer if you driving but a straight road. Phrase book- try the rough guide or the lonely planet ones. Bring £''s or use cash point. I am sure you will enjoy it though- similar to Greece but different.

Offline donmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
 Many thanks, Joan and Mercimek for the advice. Must take a bit of time to examine the site in more depth.
 Impressed by what we''ve seen so far.
 Best wishes to you both. :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
Hi Donmac - welcome too to the Forum....as Joan explains - pretty much all your answers will be found here somewhere or another..and not much to add as posters have given you good advice already...with regard to currency exchange - again this is covered - if you do a search - but the rate that you get in Kalkan will be better than the UK - so bring sterling and change it - forget euros or travellers cheques...if you have Nationwide flexaccount (I think that is the one  ???) then withdrawals are commission free.  Use your ATM card to withdraw cash on your credit card from the 3 ATMs in kalkan (although you will get charged for it) and you''ll find that credit cards are perfectly acceptable ways to pay for meals in restaurants or larger purchases in shops!!  

Enjoy your holiday in kalkan and just shout if there are any other questions we haven''t answererd!!

Oh and ps - forget the bicyle - far too hilly..!!   ;)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Janet

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
Hi we are staying just up the road from the Samira Hotel which is very nice friendly staff and good atmosphere they do a free bus into town and back agian all day and it is graeat for the evenings
May last year was very hot so we just wore summer clothes and the nights were not too cold.
Maybe we could meet up for adrink one nite that you are there for a drink and fill you in all the great places to go. This willbe my 3rd visit and we love it. Great restaurants in the town and the Turkish nite at the Samira is good fun

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »
Hi
Loved Kefalonia when we visited, but Kalkan wins hands down.  The one disappointing thing we found about Kefalonia was the food, whereas you will not be disappointed by the food in Kalkan, it''s wonderful.  Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Offline donmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:21:54 PM »
Once again to everyone for their advice and assistance.
Janet, it would be great to meet up for a drink - I take it you are there at the same time as us?
Maybe we can get in contact by e-mail beforehand. 8)

Offline Pembo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
We are going to the Samira for the 6th time 09/05-23/05.Hope that says everything re hotel/staff.Ask for Stuart and Babs and hopefully we can meet over a drink and give you some tips.

Offline donmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
We are going to the Samira for the 6th time 09/05-23/05.Hope that says everything re hotel/staff.Ask for Stuart and Babs and hopefully we can meet over a drink and give you some tips.
Hi, Pembo,
  Great to hear from you. Yours is the second invitation to meet for drinks. Looks like we''ve got a party going before we even get there!
  We''d be delighted to meet you.
  See you in Kalkan.
  All the best,
  Don & Margaret. ;D

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »
Donmac
We are there from the 22/05, so it might be good to all meet up and have a drink. Another EnjoyKalkan members drink. What do you think?
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
Hi Folks,
Think you are talking about Samira Deluxe, Janet. Samira Hotel is in town. Great hotel,great staff and we still go there for a drink. Good Turkish night on a Saturday. Try their restaurant Kosk in town.

Offline donmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
Donmac
We are there from the 22/05, so it might be good to all meet up and have a drink. Another EnjoyKalkan members drink. What do you think?
I see my reputation precedes me! I am, however, concerned that everyone mentions "A drink" Personally I''m a sucker for a nice glass of chilled carrot juice. Could drink it all night.
Of course we shall meet up for a session,sorry, drink.  All that lovely beta-carotene. MMMMM.  Can''t wait!    :-X
  All the best,
  D & M.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
you will be the orange person sitting in the dark then? :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »
Not the Tango bloke!

Offline Pembo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
It would seem quite a few members are in Kalkan during May.Would it be a good time to get together maybe,like at Omars last year. I''m new and open to suggestions.Would be good to put faces to names.have trips to arrange so date and venue would help if thought a good proposition.

Pembo

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »
I think a change of venue would be a good idea. Suggestions anyone?

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
We would love to meet up with folks in May. Tried it over Easter but couldn''t get in touch in the end. I don''t mind where we go as i''m sure the company will be great! We''re there from the 16th to the 26th. Didn''t someone say the Istanbul was good and authentic? Not been but don''t mind trying
BJ
Carpe diem

Offline Pebble

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
We are in Kalkan between 3rd and 19th May and would love to meet other members.  We were at the meet up in September and it was great fun, we met some lovely people and it''s good to be able to put faces to names.  What about Kaya?

Offline Adrian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • Some of my photos
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
And we''re there 16th to 29th May - Kaya would be magic place to meet  ;D ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice please

Started by Trena59 on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 01:56:37 PM
by Trena59
xx
Advice

Started by mikem on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 09:24:28 AM
by kevincat99
xx
LEGAL ADVICE

Started by lizabi99 on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 02:58:40 PM
by kim21
recycled
advice for me and my baby

Started by soozandlily on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 08:49:32 PM
by Hilary

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Tlos View.JPG

Views: 2828
By: Lindy
Kalkan shopping.JPG