Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick Question about Kalkan  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Ralph

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Quick Question about Kalkan
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
Hi all,

I have posted in the "accommodation" section about somewhere to stay for our May visit and have really appreciated the replies.

As we haven't visited before, I was wondering whether the little beach in Kalkan is available for all or if it is part of a private beach club. Whilst we will have a car, with 2 young children we would rather have the option to walk to a beach for a couple of hours on occasion rather than have to always load up the car etc..

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ralph

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12599.0

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Quick Question about Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
The beach in Kalkan is a public beach but is pebbly.  Patara beach, some 15 minutes away by car, is sandy and stunning.
Take your pick

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »
There are beach clubs as well as the beaches, eg Kalamar (our favourite), Yali, Palm Beach Club, Indigo. None are private. Just turn up and pay a small charge for the beds you use.
Kalamar will pay for your return taxis but if you hVe a car you can drive there and park.
There's loads of info on the forum and everyone has their favourite......take your pick.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
Town beach is stones and difficult to walk on ..kids seem to do better than adults!(veterans wear sandals!!) but it is sloping and easy to get into the sea(don't know how old or swimmable your kiddies are)The beach clubs are usually bathing platforms with steps down into the sea ..you can get a boat across from the harbour to a few on the other side of the bay (you will see them from the harbour) they have all the stuff you need for a day out..food drink,sunbeds etc  ..nearby you have Kaputas beach a short 10 min drive   loads of steps down into an alcove surrounded by rock..very scenic but gets blistering with heat bouncing off the rock behind make sure you get a parasol or two! as said Patara is a short drive away a small fee to get into the conservation area is paid when you reach the toll booth...beds etc for hire would say parasols are vital down here their is often a breeze but you can be deceived into burning if not careful..hire kiosk and restaurant on the beach and plenty of car parking before the beach ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Kalkan Gems

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
Hi Ralph
Ive sent you a PM about one of our apartments incase it's of interest.
Best wishes Julie

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
Akcagerme Beach which is about 25 minutes from Kalkan is a lovely beach for children. Its pebbly but water warmer and calmer than Kalkan. Level access with all facilities and very cheap. Also swimming pool with 3 water slides and children's play area etc.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
One thing to mention, Ralph is the sea is a bit cold in May.
Palm Beach Club has a little section that they keep for families with young children where there is direct access to the sea. Most - if not all - the beach clubs only have access via steep steps or ladders which will be unsuitable for young children. You can take a water taxi from the harbour to Palm Beach as BL says.
The town beach at the harbour end has better access to the sea but you will need crocs/beach shoes to get in and out unless you want to be the entertainmnet for the beach that day. Patara is a beautiful sandy beach with nice safe paddling but it is huge and if its a particularly windy day it can be harsh for very little ones walking to and from the water from the relative shelter of your sunbeds.
You have plenty of choice but we always found when our children were little they were rooted to the pool on holiday :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
One thing to mention, Ralph is the sea is a bit cold in May.
Palm Beach Club has a little section that they keep for families with young children where there is direct access to the sea. Most - if not all - the beach clubs only have access via steep steps or ladders which will be unsuitable for young children. You can take a water taxi from the harbour to Palm Beach as BL says.
The town beach at the harbour end has better access to the sea but you will need crocs/beach shoes to get in and out unless you want to be the entertainmnet for the beach that day. Patara is a beautiful sandy beach with nice safe paddling but it is huge and if its a particularly windy day it can be harsh for very little ones walking to and from the water from the relative shelter of your sunbeds.
You have plenty of choice but we always found when our children were little they were rooted to the pool on holiday :)

Agree with all the above!!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
I'm not a beach person (a pool, a beer and a book suits me), but, I wonder:

Are there any beaches at the Beach Clubs (and I don't just mean it's next to the sea!).

They don't really rock my boat, but people who have been have said to me that there appears to be a deficiency in the beach department to paraphrase 'Reginald Perrin'.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
There is a deficiency in beaches per se in Kalkan..! There is a small "beach" area at Palm Beach but this is made up of the same rocks as the town beach. I actually prefer the "Beach" Clubs which as you say Chris_S, dont actually have a beach but platforms or decking over the sea. I'm not a fan of sand...it gets everywhere :o Whether you go to Patara, Kaputas, the town beach or a beach club in Kalkan, they are all great days out. IMO.

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Theres a small water park near Kas which might suit. I'd say it would be suitable for children over five?

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
There is a beach at Kalkan Beach Club - we took our grandaughter there when she was 17 months old - she loved it.  The sea is too cold in May for children of that age though.

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:04 AM »
The small water park near Kas that Lilly mentioned is Akcagerme beach where the sea is  warmer than Kalkan as its more sheltered.  Kalkan beach park has a much larger beach area than palm beach,  also the water is not so cold.

Offline Ralph

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
I must say how impressed I have been with the responses from you all on this forum. Thanks one and all. My wife has somehow started to look at Kas as well as Kalakn now.....don't be surprised if I start asking about there next.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Kas is also lovely, larger than Kalkan so a little more scope perhaps with youngsters. Whichever you choose am sure you will have a good time.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
Kas is nice, but kalkan is much nicer !!  Kas is more of a working town.
Kalkan has a lovely chilled out hoilday vibe from the moment you arrive ..

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
I agree that Kas is lovely.....but does have a bit more of a working town feel.where as Kalkan has much more of a holiday feel and atmosphere.Personally,i would choose Kalkan and maybe visit Kas whilst on holiday to see for yourself.

...............................................................................................

holiday lettings http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kalkan/9407

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
KaÅŸ or Kalkan - that is the question

Started by kasska on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 05:02:21 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
This holiday can't come quick enough!

Started by Joeyloveskalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

55 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 06:39:53 PM
by Alex
xx
Quick trip!

Started by magic3 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 09:46:22 PM
by magic3
xx
Groceries - a quick Turkish lesson please.

Started by suzyq1 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

10 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 09:54:13 PM
by suzyq1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal